As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Total War: Discussion] Total WAAAAAAAAGH WARHAMMER!

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Looking better and better each preview.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    That screenshot makes my video card weep, I'm sure. I've recently set about finishing the Rise of the Samurai campaign I never completed--Onna Bushi Heroines are pretty darn cool to use in battle.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I have no words.

http://in.finance.yahoo.com/news/sega-creative-assembly-announce-partnership-110000612.html
    SEGA® of America, Inc. and SEGA® Europe Ltd. today announced that Creative Assembly™, award-winning creator of the Total War™ series, and SEGA® Group have entered into a multi-title licensing deal with Games Workshop® to create videogames based in the Warhammer® universe of fantasy battles.

A new high-calibre development team has been set up at Creative Assembly’s UK studio to work alongside the existing Total War, Alien™ IP and Mobile teams on the first Warhammer title in the deal, scheduled to launch from beyond 2013.

“With this year being our 25th anniversary,” said Tim Heaton, Studio Director at Creative Assembly, “it seems fitting for us to embark on such a dream project with such a well-established partner. The incredibly rich and detailed Warhammer world is something we grew up with, and has left an indelible imprint on us as both designers and gamers.”

“We’ll be doing the Warhammer universe justice in a way that has never been attempted before. We’re bringing those 25 years of experience and expertise in extremely high-scoring games to bear, delivering a Warhammer experience that videogamers will absolutely love.”

• Options
    MortifiedPenguinMortifiedPenguin Registered User regular
    Great googly moogly...

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »
    I have no words.

http://in.finance.yahoo.com/news/sega-creative-assembly-announce-partnership-110000612.html
    SEGA® of America, Inc. and SEGA® Europe Ltd. today announced that Creative Assembly™, award-winning creator of the Total War™ series, and SEGA® Group have entered into a multi-title licensing deal with Games Workshop® to create videogames based in the Warhammer® universe of fantasy battles.

A new high-calibre development team has been set up at Creative Assembly’s UK studio to work alongside the existing Total War, Alien™ IP and Mobile teams on the first Warhammer title in the deal, scheduled to launch from beyond 2013.

“With this year being our 25th anniversary,” said Tim Heaton, Studio Director at Creative Assembly, “it seems fitting for us to embark on such a dream project with such a well-established partner. The incredibly rich and detailed Warhammer world is something we grew up with, and has left an indelible imprint on us as both designers and gamers.”

“We’ll be doing the Warhammer universe justice in a way that has never been attempted before. We’re bringing those 25 years of experience and expertise in extremely high-scoring games to bear, delivering a Warhammer experience that videogamers will absolutely love.”

Holy fucking shit. This is great news!

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    RichardRichard Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Suriko wrote: »
    I have no words.

I actually thought I read this several months ago and then realized I had just imagined it. Maybe I should put down some bets on football matches. Total War: Warhammer Fantasy sounds awesome.

Richard on
  • Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    Didn't Med II have an absurdly ambitious Warhammer conversion mod?

I agree that it is a very natural fit.

• Options
    I guess they would have to find a good way to implement powerful single characters into the game. I never got to try the heroes in Shogun II (only played 3 short campaigns) so I am not sure how powerful those are.

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular

Excuse me, I need to clean up... everything...

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    Richard wrote: »
    I guess they would have to find a good way to implement powerful single characters into the game. I never got to try the heroes in Shogun II (only played 3 short campaigns) so I am not sure how powerful those are.

Those are small groups of elite soldiers, not single characters.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    So, this is obviously going to be called Total War:Hammer from now on, right?

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    I made a thread about this without reading this one first. Oops! Hopefully people who don't check the Total War thread will get the news now too, at least.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    They are doing a (Warhammer) Fantasy Total War!?

THEY ARE DOING A (WARHAMMER) FANTASY TOTAL WAR!!!

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    I am VERY VERY excited.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    After playing all campaigns on Shogun II I have been giving Empire a shot. Can't say I'm enjoying it that much though. I am aware that the AI in Total War-games have never been that superb but in this game it borders on being broken.

* The AI stays in his city when attacking my siege and is defeated when the time runs out.
    * The AI attacks a fort/city but more or less just randomly runs around my walls or just stands next to them doing nothing.

Is the AI this bad or did I break it when I installed and uninstalled Darthmod? Pretty sure I uninstalled it correctly.

Really looking forward to Rome II as I am not that into the history of Japan. Hoping they will take what they learnt from Shogun II and apply it to Rome.

Edit: and oh yeah, Warhammer Fantasy Total War sounds awesome. Going to give the Lord of the Rings mod for Medieval II a go after Empire. @Jaramr was praising it in the chat.

Richard on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I don't remember the AI being that broken, and I played a lot of Empire back in the day.

That said, the AI was laughably easy to goad into obvious shooting gauntlets. Melee-heavy armies may as well be called hamburger meat, lovingly tenderised by massed Prussian cannon.

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    It certainly felt that broken when I played it recently, but the difficulty was only on medium anyway. The lack of a time limit did make it very annoying though. The AI would come out of a city eventually though. Was Napoleon any better? I kinda liked the empire setting but it really needed more polish.

• Options
    You can choose if you want a time limit or not in the options. This goes for all TW games, as far as I know.

• Options
    PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Carthage faction reveal is up:

Carthage_parade_zps41990191.jpg
    Carthage_sacredband_zps95f2942e.jpg

Carthage

“Democracy, commerce, faith"

The beating heart of Carthage is the city itself, a major port and bustling trade hub nestling on the North African coast. Since gaining independence from its Phoenician forbears, it has quickly established a considerable military, naval and trade empire of its own. Holding the same polytheistic beliefs as their ancestors, the Carthaginians worship many gods, chief amongst them Ba’al Hammon, The Ruler Of The Multitudes, and Tanit, the patron goddess of Carthage itself. Many people believe that child sacrifice takes place at their temples.
    Carthage paradeslise.jpg

Carthage is an expansionist trading state with a small indigenous population. As such, the bulk of its armies consist of mercenary units. The core of its land forces, however, are elite Carthaginian citizens known as the Sacred Band and mighty war elephants from the forests of North Africa. Accomplished seamen, their ships are fast and manoeuvrable, with good ramming and missile capabilities.

Since the 6th century BC, Carthage has enjoyed a commercial treaty with Rome. The nations even fought together during the Pyrrhic War, although this was a marriage of convenience to prevent Greek hegemony of Southern Italy and Sicily. The outcome of that war was perhaps better for Rome; Carthage gained a foothold in Sicily, but Rome achieved dominance over much of the Italian peninsula. Now, tensions run high between these mighty nations….

As a playable faction, Carthage benefits from its mastery of the waves and its heritage as a great trading nation. As a democracy, it also enjoys an improved level of population happiness. The player also has the choice to play as one of three major political powers, each of which confers further military, economic and cultural benefits.

http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War:_Rome_II_-_Carthaginian_Faction

Prisca on
  • Options
    KiasKias Registered User regular
    AI has always been one of the weak points of the series, especially on the overland map. As much as I love war, my biggest gripe with the series has always been the bizarro politics the AI goes by on the overland map.

"We have had peace for many years, which has protected my small, 1-2 territory, holdings and you have honored all of your deals and committed many resources to furthering our relationship even though you could have easily conquered us with one of your many doom stacks. For these reasons, we have decided to declare war on you."

That said, I still love me some Total War, and Rome is hands down my favorite in the series.

Though that may change when Warhammer Total War comes out, because that's just pure sex.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    Kias wrote: »
    AI has always been one of the weak points of the series, especially on the overland map. As much as I love war, my biggest gripe with the series has always been the bizarro politics the AI goes by on the overland map.

"We have had peace for many years, which has protected my small, 1-2 territory, holdings and you have honored all of your deals and committed many resources to furthering our relationship even though you could have easily conquered us with one of your many doom stacks. For these reasons, we have decided to declare war on you."

Yeah, the AI in Total War games has always been a joke and is the one thing above all others I wish they'd fix.

My dream game is still a Total War game with EUIII's AI/diplomacy and CKII's character system.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    edited December 2012
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    Bots better be back for custom multiplayer. I play Empire and Napoleon on a regular basis with my best friend, but not Medieval 2 (though we used to) or Shogun 2. The reason is simple; I'm better than him, and win 90% of the battles, but we can both have fun teaming up and fighting bots. 3-2 odds are fun for land, though we still basically always win because the AI is that bad. I've never really mastered naval combat, though, so 2-2 odds give the AI a decent shot at winning naval battles, at least in Napoleon (it seems to have better naval AI than Empire).

I will be very disappointed if bots are only for single player. I can't be the only one.

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    You're definitely not the only one. I suspect more people enjoy compstomps in RTS games than enjoy normal multiplayer matches.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Bloodsheed wrote: »

Yeah, the AI in Total War games has always been a joke and is the one thing above all others I wish they'd fix.

My dream game is still a Total War game with EUIII's AI/diplomacy and CKII's character system.

I would give that game all my money. The AI is so stupid and unpredictable. It would also be awesome if the AI would team up against you once you got too strong. Like your Napoleon and their the collation. I find that within the first 30 turns, my victory is pretty much assured.

• Options
    Macedon_Shield_Bearers_zps2e1b0c99.png
    Macedon

“Glory, order, power.”

Desperate to reclaim its past glory, Macedon finds itself locked into its pre-Alexandrian borders by the Illyrians, Thracians and Greek city states on all sides. Can the Macedonian Empire rise again under a new Alexander?

Macedon is an administration, with the king holding power and governing in the name of the people. This distinction extends to the treasury, fuelled by an economy of agriculture, forestry and the taxation of ports, the exception being the gold and silver mines granted to the king.

Macedon’s armies remain set on the pattern developed by Phillip II and Alexander, focusing primarily on infantry and cavalry, and led by heroic commanders. Little has changed in terms of tactics, technology or siegecraft since the glory days, with a continuation of Alexander’s hoplite reforms and reliance on the famed Companion and Thessalian cavalry. Never a strong naval power, Macedon has long relied upon its sea-faring Hellenistic subjects, such as Athens and Rhodes.

As a Successor State, Macedon gains advantages when fighting other Hellenic factions, and enjoys improved income and provincial growth from every client state owned. Experienced warriors, the armies of Macedon also have an advantage when fighting against barbarians.

Under the leadership of Antigonus Gonatus, they are gracious rulers and shrewd tradesmen, enjoying bonuses to income and population happiness. However, the other Hellenistic states find it hard to forgive Macedon’s hegemonic tendencies, and as such, the Macedonian player will have a harder time winning their trust and allegiance.

http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War:_Rome_II_-_Macedonian_Faction

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Bloodsheed wrote: »

I would give that game all my money. The AI is so stupid and unpredictable. It would also be awesome if the AI would team up against you once you got too strong. Like your Napoleon and their the collation. I find that within the first 30 turns, my victory is pretty much assured.

In a sense, all three Shogun 2 campaigns have a form of this. How well calibrated it is is another story.

• Options
    edited February 2013
  • Options
    Looking great, although I hope the Seleucids or Ptolemies will be featured as a playable faction.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    The latest PC Gamer UK issue contains a preview of the Battle of the Teutoburg, as well as more info on campaign and gameplay mechanics! A forumer on the TWC boards has provided a summary:
    1. Seem's like there is now full cut-scene's to all the historical battles, similar to the short segment from the siege of Carthage, with dead legionaries and Augustus screaming his famous "Varus, give me back my legions!" in the intro to the Teutoburg forest battle.

2. The German's (no tribes are mentioned, throughout the whole article the term German or Germanic is used) use "flaming balls of pitch" at the start of the battle, rolling them into the Roman lines and disrupting them.

3. Unit card's vary now from faction to faction, with the Greco-Roman one's having a distinct "pottery" style, they also change in size the more units you add to an army.

4. At one point it says that the German army is supported by "archers and wardogs". That confirms that they are in. Berserkers are also mentioned, although there is no images of them.

5. There will be a height variance between units/men and factions.

6. The more you issue a command, I.E repeatedly right clicking, there more your soldiers take it as an "urgent" command, and will follow the order regardless of enemies or mass, but at increased risk of casualties.

7. Apparently the trees in the Teutoburg forest are 5x bigger than any tree in Shogun.

8. Massive thing I noticed is that you can now no longer see every single unit on a battlefield, they have implemented a line of sight system meaning enemy units will only show up on the tactical and battle map if you have a direct line of sight to them. This now means you can hide units not only in forests, but behind hills, in ditches etc.

9. It is now possible to set an army's stance on the campaign map to defensive, aggresive or ambush. It's not really expanded upon though. Although it is mentioned that battlefield terrain is now persistent again, rather than generated for the region.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=589189&page=8

CA has also released a new Rally Point featuring two screenshots and a music preview from the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-27_7ZxauL4

ibneGc8S5ub9eX.png
    iAQvVK1ZXPieQ.png

Prisca on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    I dunno what I'm more excited about. I'm finally getting a machine that can run Shogun 2 at levels it's meant to be, or that I'll be able to run Rome 2, or that we'll be seeing TW: Warhammer Fantasy.

Prepare for the rat swarms!

Die-die man-thing!

• Options
    Bob the InsaneBob the Insane Registered User regular
    Anyone else remember "Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat"? I hope they take some inspiration from that...

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Anyone else remember "Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat"? I hope they take some inspiration from that...
    And Dark Omen! But no I assume they're just going to do their own thing, aka reskin Total War with Warhammer stuff. Not that I mind...

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Man those games were freaking tough. Awesome though.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Please tell me we'll get flaming pigs again.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    More screenshots from the Teutoburg battle:
    total-war-rome-2-screenshot-030.jpg
    total-war-rome-2-screenshot-029.jpg
    total-war-rome-2-screenshot-028.jpg
    total-war-rome-2-screenshot-027.jpg

Prisca on
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Rad

I am excited for this here video game

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    Richard wrote: »

Well, not for the Empire.

zing!

Seriously though, this is good news.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    Gabriel94Gabriel94 Costa RicaRegistered User regular
    Its supposed the Rome II is going to be based on simulations and not just calculations, I just wonder its going to cost but, since I loved Rome Total War I will probably buy it someday, Medieval was a nice Total War game but it lacked, in my oppinion, the essence of Rome, also, I really miss the overview of cities available on Rome. Shogun II on the other hand (I dont know the expansion) has actually captured me, and Im really glad about that release. The heroes in Shogun II are actually way too powerful, being on the opponent side was fun, but crazy, it would be nice to see the oppinion of someone who has those units.

PS: I need a new machine!!! this one is going to have a hard time with those graphics, XD, it really looks promising.

This discussion has been closed.