As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Total War: Discussion] Total WAAAAAAAAGH WARHAMMER!

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I preferred DoW1, but it's not like DoW2 was bad, just a very different experience. Personally I really like the 20-30 dudes blazing away with bolt weapons. The sound effects in DoW1 were very, very good. If those assets are still around, that'd be great.

As long as there's new and dubious Blood Raven hijinks happening, I'll probably pick it up.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Since we're talking about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9-c1EYG7wg

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Silly humiez. Your rippy sword want do jacko to mah knob canz

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    mmm dow 3

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    Pretty ballsy trying to tackle an orc shredder with a mere chain-sword.

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    Yogo wrote: »
    Pretty ballsy trying to tackle an orc shredder with a mere chain-sword.

They're goddamn space marines. For all the bioengineering that goes into one of those dudes I'd be surprised if they weren't packing at least a quad.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    FOR THE EMPRAH

but secretly WAAAAAAAGGGHHH

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    I'm hoping he had a melta-bomb in his back pocket.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    So, lets say in Total Warhammer's case, there was a regional recruitment flavor feature. Not mercenaries, but just aesthetic flavor. Even though Karl Franz is the Emperor and the count of Reikland, I assume the counts of the Empire do not kneel to your direct control when you conquer them to complete the empire, meaning, you're not going to conquer Middenland/heim and then that count becomes a general. However, I feel that it would be weird if you were summoning Reiklanders all across the land even as you were uniting the Empire as a centralized state preparing for Chaos. What would be cool is if the colors of the troop uniforms change depending on where you recruit them.

Although I would love to see all the different cool merc companies I saw from the Warhammer mod for Medieval 2, including an undead general who fought for the Empire for a price because he wanted to kill the necromancers who raised him (???) and his band of undead warriors for some reason, a company of amazon women mercnaries, leopard pelt wearing pikemen, dorfs, estalians, tileans, et cetera.

Lets talk about DLC shilling. Inner faction DLCs. There are no Ulrican priests you can hire as agents or units according to released unit rosters. So I see a Middenland dlc coming out with that being one of the only new units like Rome 2 and Shogun 2 faction DLCs. Ulric is still part of the Empire pantheon, which is basically norse paganism wrapped up in Medieval Church garb, and his priests are separate from the Sigmarite ones and maintain their own cult and also join in battles. There are also no altdorf company of honour, knights panther, white wolf, encarmine, nor free companies that would make up bowmen and additional swordsmen for the empire. This leads me to believe that additional campaign DLC will eventually lead to these being added as mercs, for a small fee. That kind of sucks. I would have thought company of honour and free companies would be there.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    I just want Space Marine 2: Moar Space Muhreens

I God damn adored space marine. I want a sequel so bad

• Options
    UhtredUhtred Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    The super hi-res screenshots make it obvious there's a significant leap from DoW2's graphics, probably as big as DoW1 - DoW2 if not bigger. Looks really nice.

Uhtred on
  • Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    and to bring it back to Waaaaaaghammer.
    they're doing a livestream of a greenskins campaign

http://wiki.totalwar.com/index.php?title=Total_War_WARHAMMER_Modding_Details
    Mods. including a mod to let everyone settle every region, which should be in the base game anyway.

GaryO on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    GaryO wrote: »
    and to bring it back to Waaaaaaghammer.
    they're doing a livestream of a greenskins campaign

http://wiki.totalwar.com/index.php?title=Total_War_WARHAMMER_Modding_Details
    Mods. including a mod to let everyone settle every region, which should be in the base game anyway.

I really like the limited number of places you can settle. It makes sense to me that the Empire couldn't really make a permanent settlement in the badlands, and the Dwarven mountain holds would allow for no sunlight or good farmland inside them to feed the populace. Orks also would not set up a ruling bereaucracy that would tax human underlings when they were done conquering a place, they would loot it or smash it to the ground. It also removes the tedium of late game painting the map by letting you destroy enemy racs strongholds rather than settle them, making expeditions into Norsca or deep badlands be isolated from friendly civilization and be more dangerous.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    So I pretty much did not follow this game since it was announced, but was very interested in it. Now I find out it comes out later this month, and the gameplay footage so far seems amazing. I have never played a Warhammer game, though the lore has always been very interesting to me, so I'm definitely getting this.

Do you think I should get up to speed on the lore to better understand the game?

• Options
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    So I pretty much did not follow this game since it was announced, but was very interested in it. Now I find out it comes out later this month, and the gameplay footage so far seems amazing. I have never played a Warhammer game, though the lore has always been very interesting to me, so I'm definitely getting this.

Do you think I should get up to speed on the lore to better understand the game?

I doubt it's necessary. Humans and dwarves are the good guys, orcs, demons and vampires are the bad guys. They fight, the end.

That's not to say the lore isn't worthwhile, there's some really cool stuff, but don't feel obligated to read up on it if you aren't interested in tolkienesque fantasy.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Vic wrote: »

I doubt it's necessary. Humans and dwarves are the good guys, orcs, demons and vampires are the bad guys. They fight, the end.

That's not to say the lore isn't worthwhile, there's some really cool stuff, but don't feel obligated to read up on it if you aren't interested in tolkienesque fantasy.

I would put a caveat on good guys. It is Warhammer. Good is very very relative.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Good guys? In Warhammer?

This ain't tolkienesque at all. This is crapsack all the way down. The dwarfs are awful. The chaos dwarfs are awful. The humans are awful. The other humans are awful. The chaos humans are awful. The assorted elfs are awful. The more evil than usual elfs are awful. The transylvanian undead that aren't mindless drones are awful. The egyptian undead that aren't mindless drones are awful. The demons are awful. The other varieties of demons are awful. The rats are awful. The bigger rats are awful. The talking rats are awful. The lizards are awful. Everything is awful.

Even the sweet release of death won't save you from this setting.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Would Warhammer space marine help? It's been sitting in my library untouched for a few years :P

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Whether or not you can appreciate Warhammer lore is based entirely on how you can appreciate hilariously absurd grimdark bullshit that takes itself totally seriously

I can, sometimes! But mostly I treat it as stylish framing for whatever game I happen to be playing at the time

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Basil wrote: »
    Good guys? In Warhammer?

This ain't tolkienesque at all. This is crapsack all the way down. The dwarfs are awful. The chaos dwarfs are awful. The humans are awful. The other humans are awful. The chaos humans are awful. The assorted elfs are awful. The more evil than usual elfs are awful. The transylvanian undead that aren't mindless drones are awful. The egyptian undead that aren't mindless drones are awful. The demons are awful. The other varieties of demons are awful. The rats are awful. The bigger rats are awful. The talking rats are awful. The lizards are awful. Everything is awful.

I don't know... the humans, dwarfs, high/wood elfs and lizards are rather less awful than, say, the norm in 40K. I can't think of anything off-hand that makes them a whole lot worse than real life historical nations (which, compared to Tolkien, have been awful).

The Moorcock fantasy it was based on is decidedly on the grimdark end of the curve, though. Even if a faction isn't completely awful, they're all screwed.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Would Warhammer space marine help? It's been sitting in my library untouched for a few years :P

I think a lot of people here like it, to me it was just repetitive and boring, and it's graphics have already aged a lot. The Relic games are fantastic, Dawn of War 2 and it's expansions have very fun campaigns with lots of good lore stuff. Gaunt's Ghosts is also a good series to jump into for your first foray into WH40k novels.

Uhtred on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @Satsumomo

You should absolutely play it, but Warhammer 40k is, like, more-or-less-the-same races as fantasy Warhammer but projected into the grimdark future instead of the grimdark past. So, as far as lore goes, it won't really translate, and I think 40k is grimmerdarker than WH Fantasy, but it's a solid-enough intro, I guess?

In short, play Space Marine because jetpack slamming onto a horde of orcs with a powersword is good fun, not because it'll teach you what you need to know to get into Total Waaaaaagh.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Good guys? In Warhammer?

Speaking of, have their been any hints to these guys' inclusion as potential dlc factions?

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Good guys? In Warhammer?

I mean sure, you need to lower your standards a hell of a lot, but even cruel, ignorant medieval humans are a hell of a lot better than mushroom people who love nothing more than to kill and eat anything that moves, literal personifications of hatred and destruction, and people that are basically just human aristocrats that also drink blood.

Vic on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    The best way to think of Warhammer, 40k especially, is it is if metal album covers were a thing people made full stories out of that were really grim dark.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    I've been watching every video that's been coming out recently.

One thing I've noticed is how good they've gotten at making the combat seem like it has proper weight behind the hits.

Chaos knights charge knocked dwarfs flying, cannons send men hurling backwards and giants just sweeping men away.

It looks amazing!

• Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Every race excels at their own special kind of awful, which when you think about it is actually quite an achievement.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Good guys? In Warhammer?

Speaking of, have their been any hints to these guys' inclusion as potential dlc factions?

Well Chaos was announced.

The Breton Army will be available in mp from day 1, so my money is on them as a free lc.

Imo, the two biggest factions they left out seem to be elves and skaven. I'm also expecting them.

• Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    Elves are a must, surely.

Everyone loves elves.

p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Good guys? In Warhammer?

I dunno but rats better be in quick-quick.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Rats, as big as a man? I don't think they exist.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    Elves are a must, surely.

Everyone loves elves.

I bet you Asur and Druchii come in next expansion as well as Ulthuan, expanded Albion, Skaven, Naggaroth, and beastmen.

Edit: been looking at Darren total war's vids. He has a new cinematic vid on his channel where he fights chaos as dorfs in a reversal of the official total war thing he did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAMKJzUAX_M

Then I checked out some of the other vids he did

Wow Warhammer's animations are improved. I almost can't believe this is the same engine.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular

That's exactly what they want you to think.

Seriously, it's canon that there's a huge conspiracy engineered by the skaven to keep humanity ignorant of their existence, so that it's easier to spread their sprawling under-empire beneath human cities. Even plenty of humans who discover the conspiracy keep it, for fear that should humans learn just how vast the skaven empire is it would spark a mass panic and potentially a crusade against the skaven.

Since the skaven normally spend like 95% of their efforts fighting each other but band together in the face of an outside threat, and given the fact that skaven outnumber every other race on the planet combined by like 100 to 1, any force that attempts to attack the skaven directly will be overwhelmed and annihilated as the fractious ratkin band together against the invader.

So yeah, they're great, hope they get their own game faction. Rat ogres, Screaming Bells, and Doomwheels, please.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    It would be really cool if in an expansion a second underground layer was added to the game map. That would make Orc and dorf tunneling abilities more useful and maybe give dorfs a speed boost by traveling underground. Then you could have Skaven be the main enemies for underground using factions and maybe allow overground factions like Brettonia and the Empire to fight the Skaven underneath them but only in the vicinity of their regions with a debuff for underground fighting.

Edit: Orc campaign stream showed you can ally with other greenskins and at least sign peace treaties with dorfs. Shogun 2/FOTS style pop up decisions are back, and the orks have pretty great flavor text for them. One is a choice of telling the boys to shout Gork or Mork's name first, giving you a variant buff. Another is a nob coming back from a raid without teef for da boss, but with a shiny new helmet with suspect polish where you choose to make him give you the teef he owes or make him give the helmet. Another was an event where some boys accidentally raided an allied ork's land with the option to give the loot back or keep the shinies for a bonus or malus to diplomatic relations

. Wish they would get full illustrations for buildings as the minimalistic buildings do not really do what they are intended to do, being easy to read. How is one to know a night goblin totem thing is a growth building for orcs just hy sight?

Still no sign of mercenaries. Looks like quest battles are played from both sides and have their own faction dialogue. That battle from the older video with the dwarf ambushed battle is available for Orcs, even allowing you to surround them like in the video. The campaign and battle unit speech is pretty cool. Grimgor sounds like Gorgutz. Maybe that's fantasy racism, but I'm an Empire/Imperium player so I don't care.

Dorfs can confederate.

Big flashy duels definitely out, saw Grimgor chase down a dorf thane and just smack him down. Wish they would take a page out of Dawn of War's book and have the army leaders or heros talk to eachother in at least quest battles. Add some character.

Edit 2: Also, one of the popups that gave you a night goblin shaman hero was titled "Its kinda magic"

Hopefully a mission to bring all humans into one big faction will be called "One Vision", a vampire vs vampire mission conquest will be called "Who Wants to Live Forever", and the Chaos invasion on Kislev and the Tsarina will be called, "Killer Queen"

Kadoken on
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »

That's exactly what they want you to think.

Seriously, it's canon that there's a huge conspiracy engineered by the skaven to keep...

*voosh

p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    We need to tone down the level of heresy going on in this thread. The Emperor loves each and every one of us, the notion that 40k is somehow grim is... well, only a heretic would say such things. You all know who you are.

• Options
    ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular
    Uhtred wrote: »
    We need to tone down the level of heresy going on in this thread. The Emperor loves each and every one of us, the notion that 40k is somehow grim is... well, only a heretic would say such things. You all know who you are.

-hides his avatar-

>_>

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular

Considering that The Emperor is wounded and confined to the Golden Throne instead of roaming free and burning all the heretics and enemies of mankind in his xenophobic might.

Yes, it's grim...

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Considering that The Emperor is wounded and confined to the Golden Throne instead of roaming free and burning all the heretics and enemies of mankind in his xenophobic might.

Yes, it's grim...

Wounded?

CONFINED?

I would tell you to pray, but you are already damned. At least your body will serve the immortal emperor as a servitor, should the inquisition deign to spare enough of your heretical flesh.

The emperor sits on his throne, a beacon of light shining on every soul in the empire. To imply that he is there against his will...

Vic on
  • Options
    I hate being that guy, but can we keep 40k discussion to the 40k threads? I love 40k, I think about it at least once a day, but I don't want the mods to come in and proper venues such as the Dawn of War thread (and a little self advertisement, the Inquisitor Martyr thread) exist.

This discussion has been closed.