As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Giant Bomb. Also, Rockapella.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Oh my.

There is a thing called a Serpent Tome in Darksiders 2.

You use it to receive mail, both offline (I assume for quest related things?) and online (to send gifts to people).

So, I assume if I get a super rad glaive but am already happy with my hammer, I could send it to one of you dudes.

That is pretty neat.

EDIT: Also, I do kind of love how all the important words in the subtitles are in purple font. It is delightfully videogamey.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    All the other Will Smith podcasts are so good, I can't wait to hear tomorrow's podcast

Unfortunately I won't hear it until wednesday, but it's worth the wait!

sig2.jpg
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    EDIT: Also, I do kind of love how all the important words in the subtitles are in purple font. It is delightfully videogamey.

@Dichotomy

• Options
    I've just entered the first dungeon.

HERE WE GO

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I just started playing Fallout: New Vegas

I killed Sunny's dog and she didn't even care

Anxiously waiting for Sleeping Dogs tomorrow

• Options
    Okay, that's it for tonight.

First impressions of Darksiders 2 after playing two hours: this game is pretty darn good.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    @DrIanMalcolm I have been meaning to tell you I love your Av/Sig.

Saddest Movie Death ever :cry:

ImWcN1I.png?3
  • Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Stilts wrote: »
    I have only been playing Darksiders 2 for five minutes.

And I have already picked up a bigass hammer that dropped from the corpse of my enemy, Diablo-style.

And now I am doing scythe-hammer combos and Prince of Persia wallruns

It's hard to fault Vigil for stealing from other games when they steal from the best games. I mean, I just saw a dialogue wheel.

Darric on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Hahahaha

really?

that's amazing

• Options
    Hahahaha

really?

that's amazing

Yes, really.

Also, the dungeons are basically Zelda meets Prince of Persia, which is a concept I think is totally great.

Combat feels really good, too.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Weren't the dungeons in Darksiders 1 like that as well?

It's what I loved about the game.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Yeah Darksiders 1 was basically God of War lite meets Zelda with a bunch of other small mechanics from other games thrown into the mix.

• Options
    what i'm hearing is i should consider playing the darksiders games

even though i'm not the hugest fan of the aesthetic

• Options
    SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    The aesthetic actually has a bit more to it than a lot of people think, because the way War looks is really adolescent in a kind of great way.

But there's also the fact that the angels basically have laser cannons, and there are the giant rock golem dudes who almost look like ancient south american architecture, and it's all thrown into a world where you still occasionally see bits of the old world poking through in really neat ways.

ImWcN1I.png?3
  • Options
    If you like Zelda games then definitely check 1 out. The aesthetic is pretty hit and miss, you aren't wrong, but it's a fun game. Overall much more fun than the last actual Zelda game I played, Twilight Princess, though none of the bosses were as fun as the best one in that game.

• Options
    i haven't enjoyed a proper zelda game in a long time, though i used to be a huge fan

i heard that darksiders 1 is like god of war + zelda (never played a god of war game but i'm guessing lots of violent melee action?) and that darksiders 2 is prince of persia + zelda (and i've also never played a prince of persia game but it's very acrobatic)

• Options
    Combat in your standard Zelda games tends to be more like a puzzle than Darksiders 1. You have to think about how to kill something, usually. In Darksiders you just button mash out pretty simplistic combos to kill everything. That's the God of War part.

The Zelda part is in the dungeons and in the traversal. You get a horse to ride around something approximating an overworld. But dungeons have puzzles, chimes upon solving puzzles, keys, maps labeling each individual rooms, chests that give you the full map, and a big old symbol over the boss room. It's literally Zelda in that respect.

• Options
    you know

i've never played a zelda game where you rode a horse

closest was the boat in phantom hourglass

the rest i'm familiar with

• Options
    Man, I think the art design on Darksiders is great. I mean, mechanically the game has a lot of problems (and it's a bit frustrating to see that the camera issues aren't wholly fixed in Darksiders 2), but the writing and art design were enough to see me through.

There were PoPish elements to the first game, but they were very understated, just your basic wall climbing and such. The first hour of Darksiders 2 makes it seem more prominent.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I like most of the design in Darksiders

I can't get over how silly Death looks in 2, though

• Options
    the aesthetic isn't my favorite, but i don't flatout hate it. i've definitely seen things that have disagreed with me worse.

i'll give it a shot sometime maybe if i see it cheap on a steam sale.

• Options
    The only horseman who doesn't look criminally stupid is War himself.

• Options
    Yeah, I'll admit that Death looks pretty silly.

• Options
    And I suspect you'll see Darksiders get at least a 50% daily deal on Steam very soon.

• Options
    i saw a picture of all four horsemen
    not a huge fan of any of them in particular.
    I will say that while I winced at the lady, none of them are particularly objectionable. they're not great, they could all be scores better, but it isn't enough to turn me off of it completely.

• Options
    Also they changed famine and pestilence to something else, right? I really can't blame them for that, especially Famine.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    The reviews for Sleeping Dogs are starting to come out, and they are on the whole very positive. I'll definitely be picking it up sometime in the future, or maybe splurging on it now and try to get through it before Borderlands 2 comes out.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    the art design for darksiders seems to be largely inspired by Blizzard. Which i find amusing.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    I keep reading horseman has two separate words, and it is painting a radically different picture of Darksiders for me.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    The reviews for Sleeping Dogs are starting to come out, and they are on the whole very positive. I'll definitely be picking it up sometime in the future, or maybe splurging on it now and try to get through it before Borderlands 2 comes out.

Good, I've been watching more and more Borderlands 2 videos and it's driving me crazy, I need a good game to fill the void until then.

• Options
    I think I'm gonna hold off on buying any new $60 games until I've finished some of the ones I have.

Although I probably will buy Kerbal Space Program.

• Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I think I'm gonna hold off on buying any new $60 games until I've finished some of the ones I have.

Although I probably will buy Kerbal Space Program.

Sleeping Dogs is 49.99 on steam

:winky:

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Also they changed famine and pestilence to something else, right? I really can't blame them for that, especially Famine.

Yeah, in Darksiders the four horsemen are War, Death, Strife and Fury.

Which is kind of weird if you ask me. Wouldn't the last two have a bunch of overlap with War?

• Options
    Peewi wrote: »

Yeah, in Darksiders the four horsemen are War, Death, Strife and Fury.

Which is kind of weird if you ask me. Wouldn't the last two have a bunch of overlap with War?

Yeah.

War, Death, More War, Some War We Found Lying Around And Why Let It Go To Waste?

• Options
    It definitely seems like there's some kind of progression there, though.

Fury leads to strife which leads to war.

All this means is that Darksiders 3 is going to be a new Lost Vikings game.

• Options
    It definitely seems like there's some kind of progression there, though.

Fury leads to strife which leads to war.
    which leads to death

huh

you know i almost don't hate that

• Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Pestilence is the best horsemen though.

Because you can get all Nurgle-y if you have a dude who uses diseases.

Huntera on
  • Options
    maybe famine, pestilence, and conquest have been taken by heaven or hell and they must be saved

or something

maybe darksiders 5-7 take place with those three after the first four have had their turn

• Options
    i should be in charge of creative decisions of everything, clearly

• Options
    I'm okay with them "changing" the names, because as I discovered yesterday, aside for Death, the four horsemen aren't actually named in the Bible. In fact, before "Pestilence" became prevalent in popular culture, "Conquest" was the original interpretation of one of the names. THE MORE YOU KNOW.

Also, you can get Darksiders 2 for $38 over here, complete with Steam key: http://getgamesgo.com/product/darksiders-ii-limited-edition

This discussion has been closed.