As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dwarf Fortress and Minecraft had a baby and named it [Gnomoria]

13»

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    The part of Dwarf Fortress that people jump into and get frustrated with or make Lets Plays about is clearly not the part that Toady cares about, going by the updates on his feed.
    Been toying around with the trees. I've been working with one set of rules for growing them so far, but I'll be expanding the parameters and pictures soon (for pines, saguaros, tower caps, etc). In the meantime here are some preliminary images. Issues include grass not being dry below trees, branches looping when they shouldn't, 48x48 boundaries being too visible, crowns hitting other artificial boundaries, and so on, but it is going okay so far. Nothing is final (and it can all be changed in the raws), but the 1/4 tiles are branches heavy enough to climb (but they still have some leaves), the single lines are heavy enough to climb on but won't have leaves/fruit, the semi-colons are too light for climbing (I haven't started climbing yet), and the little pentagons are parts of the trunk that slope or taper.
    Worked through the raws and getting the vegetation on the screen linked up to the plant definitions so that all the different pictures work. I'm not sure how many different leaf pictures I'll end up using (such as a different picture for pine needles), but those options are now functioning fine. I've got a list of a dozen or so parameters for growth that I should be implementing tonight. Then I'll need to do roots and fruit and flowers and so on.
    Moving on to defining various things that grow from the plants -- flowers, fruit, and leaves, mainly, but the raws should be fairly generic here. There are just "growths" from the plants, with various timing, development and item type variables, and if you're modding you should be able to call them whatever you like or have a tree that grows bronze swords or whatever. We should have apples or some kind of edible fruit soon... we have choices for fruit trees to add now I suppose.
    It was neat to watch different flowers blossom in the marshes depending on the time of year. Fruit are next and then a small revamp of deciduous trees.

Generally speaking, if you read the feed you'd get the impression that the game was a world generator, a biome and civilization simulator, with a bunch of stuff about armies thrown in. Plus he talks about adventure mode now and then. But there's hardly ever anything about the failure fortresses that come to mind when someone mentions Dwarf Fortress. I can say with fair certainty that no one is ripping off the ideas that seem to occupy most of Toady's attention.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    The most basic premise of game function, though, down to how you build stairs (gotta build an up on one level and a down on one level) are all exactly out of DF. Hell, you even start the game the same way. Some people forage, some grab wood, the rest mine a 10x10 stockpile.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    If you buy it off indiegamebundle, can you get a steamkey?

PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    My ability to get into this game has been severely inhibited by the fact that it crashes not-infrequently and doesn't support any kind of autosave. I've probably lost close to a third of the time I've spent playing it across a few different crashes. Also the isometric perspective is kind of a pain to deal with (especially since half of the functions point at the base of a square and half of them point at the top, so switching from one tool to another via hotkey can move your selection without you moving the mouse at all).

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular

Not on steam yet. It is on greenlight though so you can vote for it.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »

Not on steam yet. It is on greenlight though so you can vote for it.

Ah yeah. Of course. Doh.

PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    There is an awesome new update on this game. Adds enemies and combat changes. Full changes in quote.

. Goblins
    Goblins have discovered how to make bronze. Bronze armored goblins will start to show up between copper and iron
    Goblins have enlisted the help of their ogre cousins to fight gnomes. Ogres don't wear armor but have thick hides that are resistant to blunt damage and vulnerable to slashing attacks.
    Gnomes have developed a taste for goblin meat (it tastes exactly like revenge) and goblins and ogres can now be butchered.

Wild Animals
    Honey badgers, monitor lizards and bears have been spotted
    Wild animals will avoid gnomes typically but will attack if caught by surprise or cornered
    Wild animals can be butchered for meat and hides. Bear hides are tougher than the other animals but weaker than ogre hide

Mants
    Mants are a race of ant people that have started to raid gnome settlements
    Mants will send a single scout to look for gnomes. If the scout returns to the colony, they will return with a larger attack force
    Mants will attack in greater numbers if the gnomes have an abundance of food or drink

Beetles
    Beetles can now be found underground in the dark
    If left alone, beetles will make cocoons. A cocoon can mature into a beetle and the process will continue.
    Typically beetles will stay near their nest but will attack if there are enough of them.

General
    Doors now block enemy movement. Enemies will attack and can destroy doors if they want to get through.
    Training doesn't use ammo
    If a gnome has higher Fighting skill than Brawling and they aren't currently carrying anything, they won't pick up random items to fight with.
    Yaks and alpacas will now kick enemies in defense

Fixed
    Crash on load in a rare case
    Golems spawning in light and goblins sneaking past gnomes
    Squad members getting stuck trying to pick up ammo with a full ammo container, when better ammo exists

v0.8.16.1
    Fixed
    Squad members with "Defend gnomes" checked getting stuck when a spotted animal leaves the area
    Crash on save after loading a game with stuck squad members from animals leaving

wobblyheadedbob on
  • Options
    BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    That update sounds awesome. It might be time for me to get back into this :D

XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • Options
    BecomingBecoming Registered User regular
    Another great update!
    Gnomoria v0.8.19 released
    « on: November 13, 2012, 11:42:50 AM »

Workshop
    Added "Craft To" option for workshops
    The selected item will only be crafted if the total amount is less than the specified number
    When "any" material is selected it counts all items and when a specific material is selected, only items of that material

Grove
    Groves are a designation, similar to Farms, that are automatically worked
    Grove tasks are "Plant saplings", "Cut clippings", "Pick fruit" and "Fell trees" and each one can be toggled on or off
    "Cut clippings" will remove leaves and fruit while "Pick fruit" only removes fruit. Fruit only grows when a tree has leaves, so only picking fruit will farm fruit faster while cutting clippings will allow your Grove to expand.
    Groves can be designated over an existing tree and will be considered part of the grove even if the tree type is different than what is selected

General
    Observe Windows Mouse setting to switch left and right mouse buttons
    Allow stairs to be built in rooms
    When loading, detect and repair errors in the navigation graph

Fixed
    Crash when spotting mants
    Crash when viewing rooms that had stairs and were deconstructed
    Gnomes getting stuck trying to drink from a well
    Gnomes getting stuck trying to pasture an animal that was innaccesible
    Reset trap jobs persisting after a trap has been deconstructed
    Crash when completing or saving a game with a broken reset trap job
    Ammo pouch and quiver on corpses
    Formation settings not saving under certain conditions

• Options
    wavecutterwavecutter Registered User regular
    Have you fine folks seen this DF alike? http://store.steampowered.com/app/200370 I just ran across it on Steam.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    wavecutter wrote: »
    Have you fine folks seen this DF alike? http://store.steampowered.com/app/200370 I just ran across it on Steam.

Wow. That looks awesome! I'll give almost anything a chance for $10 :D

@Becoming
    The "Craft To" option is something that Dwarf Fortress could use badly. I played with it some the other day and it works great. Now I always have an extra 2 Barrels and Crates waiting, and an extra stone door. It really adds a lot to the game.

Bonepart on
  • Options
    wreckzorswreckzors Registered User regular
    I have been playing this game for a while now and it is really fun. Still not nearly as in-depth as DF, but it is getting there. I started a new map today and am enjoying the "craft to" option.

• Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    I started playing this game yesterday because of seeing this thread by chance. Digging (get it?) it so far.

I'm terrible.

PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    I've found that I tend to build above ground in Gnomoria versus below ground like in Dwarf Fortress. Probably has something to do with that you can't just smooth the rock to get your nice walls and floors. You have to replace them.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Bonepart wrote: »
    wavecutter wrote: »

Wow. That looks awesome! I'll give almost anything a chance for $10 :D

@Becoming
    The "Craft To" option is something that Dwarf Fortress could use badly. I played with it some the other day and it works great. Now I always have an extra 2 Barrels and Crates waiting, and an extra stone door. It really adds a lot to the game.

Is this one any good?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    RPS was not particularly kind to it, but it sounds like it could be enjoyable. I haven't tried it.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    http://gnomoria.com/gnomoria-now-on-steam-early-access/
    The Gnomoria alpha is now available on Steam through their Early Access program. It’ll continue to work just like it has been with regular updates, except now you can have Gnomoria in your Steam library and use Steam for automatic updates.

I’m currently working on getting Steam keys out to everyone who has already purchased through BMT, Desura and IndieGameStand. So have no fear! it’ll be on its way soon.

Fancy new trailer up on the steam side, as well.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/224500/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    And I was able to get a steam key off Desura, meaning I never have to log in to Desura again. Woo!

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.