As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

iPhone 5 announcment today, stay tuned for all nerds posting about it all at once in here

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    better to ask for forgiveness

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    I called customer loyalty and because I'm an employee they're bumping my upgrade date from February 2014 to right now

and my boss says if I help him open up friday morning before I start my shift at the apple store he'll sell me one early before the store opens so I can have it for the apple store

one of the better days I've had these last couple weeks

now I just have to wait (and if you followed me on twitter you could see my iPhone 5 picture)

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i used compressed air and it seemed to help with the headphone jack problem for a good 30 minutes before it started fucking up again

i think this is the fault of the water whcih means even with the insider help of my friend who is an apple genius, i might just be stuck with this problem due to water damage factor

poo
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    i used compressed air and it seemed to help with the headphone jack problem for a good 30 minutes before it started fucking up again

i think this is the fault of the water whcih means even with the insider help of my friend who is an apple genius, i might just be stuck with this problem due to water damage factor
    try VERY CAREFULLY to blow-dry it
    or put it in a box of rice over night to try and draw any water out

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    getting the water out only really helps if you do it quickly, before the water has a chance to do its damage.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    nah, headphone jacks can for some reason retain a bit of humidity that stops them from working properly, my old desire had that, too
    if you manage to get it completely dry, they can start working properly again

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    DO NOT BLOW-DRY YOUR ELECTRONICS

Wrap your phone up in a paper towel, then put it in a sealed bag of rice. Squeeze as much extra air out of the bag as you can.

Leave it for a minimum of 48 hours in a warm, dry place. Not hot. Just warm.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Rank's right, the only person who should be blow-drying your electronics is a hair care professional. Best to find the nearest salon that has a 2 for 1 deal and get a haircut for free while they give your phone a total makeover.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    or simply use the cool setting

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    my iphone has started cutting out on audio randomly with the headphones

like, i am listening to music and then all of a sudden no sound, but the device keeps playing music, and if i unplug and replug the headphones back in the sound returns and the song continues playing as normal until it happens again

1) what are the odds this is from water damage - my pelican case for some reason did not work properly at one point in my trip and a little bit of water got in the case, sigh, stupid me for not being double redundant with a zip lock bag... this is my guess

2) is there anything i can do about this
    Shine a light into the head phone jack. There is a moisture indicator there. If you got water into there it will be like an orange colour. If its less than a year old you can get it replaced.

(how was the trip?)

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    When my AT&T contract is up in December, I am gonna upgrade and take advantage of the 5 coming out to get a free 4 or cheap 4s. I am considering switching to Verizon, as I think I've heard they have better service. Has anyone with an iPhone switched like that and feel that their coverage/speed/call drop rate/etc is better?

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    DO NOT BLOW-DRY YOUR ELECTRONICS

Wrap your phone up in a paper towel, then put it in a sealed bag of rice. Squeeze as much extra air out of the bag as you can.

Leave it for a minimum of 48 hours in a warm, dry place. Not hot. Just warm.

I've also heard that you can use those silica packets that come in new shoes and such for moisture absorption. Is that right?

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    They are the most ideal.

But hard to get a lot of.

• Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    Thanks, @Butters!

I felt the same way about the cheesy plastic buttons. The screen functionality wasn't what I was used to, I was thinking that maybe they did that to not be too much like the iPad. Maybe I'll wait til the next generation then...

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »
    When my AT&T contract is up in December, I am gonna upgrade and take advantage of the 5 coming out to get a free 4 or cheap 4s. I am considering switching to Verizon, as I think I've heard they have better service. Has anyone with an iPhone switched like that and feel that their coverage/speed/call drop rate/etc is better?

Yes. I've had both and Verizon's coverage is undeniably better. Calls only drop if you go completely out of service (tunnel, basement, the middle of a remote forest or desert, etc).

The downside to getting a non-LTE phone on Verizon is going to be the inability to surf while on the voice service since they use the same band for voice as they do for 3G.

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »

like, i am listening to music and then all of a sudden no sound, but the device keeps playing music, and if i unplug and replug the headphones back in the sound returns and the song continues playing as normal until it happens again

1) what are the odds this is from water damage - my pelican case for some reason did not work properly at one point in my trip and a little bit of water got in the case, sigh, stupid me for not being double redundant with a zip lock bag... this is my guess

Shine a light into the head phone jack. There is a moisture indicator there. If you got water into there it will be like an orange colour. If its less than a year old you can get it replaced.

(how was the trip?)

shining a light in, but hard to see anything... but i think it's slightly orange-y red, so that is bad news bears

i'll e-mail my friend who works at the apple store, see what he says - i got it in october so it is just under 1 year old, but i may have forgotten to get applecare this time...

as for rice, etc, yeah, i put it in a bag of rice and left it there for at least a day when i saw that it had gotten some water on it (and it was just a few drops that made their way inside the case, but they were salt water and it was a humid climate)... stupid me for trusting the pelican case alone
    by then it mighta been too late anyway

well, we'll see?

(it was great! here is an overly long rambling post about it http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/24318347/#Comment_24318347)

poo
  • Options
    TankHammer wrote: »
    The Geek wrote: »

Yes. I've had both and Verizon's coverage is undeniably better. Calls only drop if you go completely out of service (tunnel, basement, the middle of a remote forest or desert, etc).

The downside to getting a non-LTE phone on Verizon is going to be the inability to surf while on the voice service since they use the same band for voice as they do for 3G.

i believe i read that's still an issue in the 5, though

• Options

(how was the trip?)

shining a light in, but hard to see anything... but i think it's slightly orange-y red, so that is bad news bears

i'll e-mail my friend who works at the apple store, see what he says - i got it in october so it is just under 1 year old, but i may have forgotten to get applecare this time...

as for rice, etc, yeah, i put it in a bag of rice and left it there for at least a day when i saw that it had gotten some water on it (and it was just a few drops that made their way inside the case, but they were salt water and it was a humid climate)... stupid me for trusting the pelican case alone

well, we'll see?

(it was great! here is an overly long rambling post about it http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/24318347/#Comment_24318347)

If its less than a year than most will be able to swap it out free of charge.

He almost certainly will. I'd just get it sorted ASAP.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Bogey wrote: »
    Thanks, @Butters!

I felt the same way about the cheesy plastic buttons. The screen functionality wasn't what I was used to, I was thinking that maybe they did that to not be too much like the iPad. Maybe I'll wait til the next generation then...

Yeah, @Bogey, on the whole I'm still disappointed because I wanted that pad to be good but I know I made the right decision and came home with a quality product.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options

(how was the trip?)

well, we'll see?

If its less than a year than most will be able to swap it out free of charge.

He almost certainly will. I'd just get it sorted ASAP.

thanks
    i shot him an e-mail, i'll try and get it sorted out soon

poo
  • Options
    boners! just remembered i'll have to unjailbreak my phone before i bring it in and get a new one
    how do i save all my jailbreak settings and whatever so at some future date i can just magically make it back to how i like it

and how do i unjailbreak again?

poo
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I had to go back to safari because this phone is just hanging and/or crashing too much and chrome seems to be suffering more

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    What does that have to do with facism, exactly?

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Tef wrote: »
    , and for forcing certain electronic devices to enter "sleep mode" when entering a sensitive area.

This could quite easily be abused.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    pharezon is a huge biter

that is all

• Options
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    pharezon is a huge biter

that is all

:(

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Pharezon wrote: »
    , and for forcing certain electronic devices to enter "sleep mode" when entering a sensitive area.

On the other hand, awesome.

If your phone knew you were entering a movie theater or a playhouse or whatever and auto-silenced itself, then turned itself back on when you left, that would be frickin cool.

• Options
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    Pharezon wrote: »

On the other hand, awesome.

If your phone knew you were entering a movie theater or a playhouse or whatever and auto-silenced itself, then turned itself back on when you left, that would be frickin cool.

this? this is a fucking sweet ass idea

however even though I have a raging hard on for all my apple products

if they use this to try and file for infringement because phones turn their displays off when close to your face

even I will be peeved because lawsuits are dumb

• Options
    boners! just remembered i'll have to unjailbreak my phone before i bring it in and get a new one
    how do i save all my jailbreak settings and whatever so at some future date i can just magically make it back to how i like it

and how do i unjailbreak again?

The jailbreak settings and preferences are mostly remembered in backup.

You will need to rejailbreak and reinstall all tweaks but there are apps to do that.

I think apt backup will create a list before you wipe it, then if you install that it will re download everything? Google around and you'll Find something.

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular

You know how sometimes people in power don't like being recorded doing things they aren't supposed to be doing?

Well now some nebulous authority figure could potentially not have to worry about being recorded because they could just turn your phone off.

It seems like a really shitty precedent to set

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Artreus wrote: »

You know how sometimes people in power don't like being recorded doing things they aren't supposed to be doing?

Well now some nebulous authority figure could potentially not have to worry about being recorded because they could just turn your phone off.

It seems like a really shitty precedent to set

Cool yeah. My question sounded more snippy than I meant it to be in retrospect. My brain packed up shop once I started reading that legalese

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    I had to go back to safari because this phone is just hanging and/or crashing too much and chrome seems to be suffering more

Use dolphin!

• Options
    I think the time has come that I will jailbreak this sucker yeah

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    Bogey wrote: »
    Thanks, @Butters!

Yeah, @Bogey, on the whole I'm still disappointed because I wanted that pad to be good but I know I made the right decision and came home with a quality product.

I like to imagine you weren't even looking to buy a tablet, you were just so annoyed by the one you tried that you bought an iPad out of spite.

• Options
    You don't need to jb for dolphin.

Unless that is just a seperate, general statement.

• Options
    You don't need to jb for dolphin.

Unless that is just a seperate, general statement.

oh wait really?

shit

I didn't realise that

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    It isn't the most stable though, not sure if it more/less stable than chrome. But say, it hasn't crashed on me today for example.

Safari also runs faster. But it's my opinion that safari is butts.

• Options
    Yeah I don't really like safari

I'm wondering if a factory reset would help this phone get it's shit together.

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    It isn't the most stable though, not sure if it more/less stable than chrome. But say, it hasn't crashed on me today for example.

Safari also runs faster. But it's my opinion that safari is butts.

Isn't that because Apple locks off some of the lower level virtual machines for 3rd party apps? Like the Javascript engine Safri runs on is far, far faster than what other apps are allowed to use?

工事中
This discussion has been closed.