Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Don't Know Much About Comics? Click Here!

14567810»

• SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Hey guys, I've been out of comics for a while and am looking at getting back into it. Can someone give me some suggestions? I'm looking for:
    - stuff released within the last 5-8 years. Before that I'm pretty well versed and know what's out.
    - Things that are fairly standalone, either mini-series or at least single series, not looking for huge events. I like contained stories.
    - Things that are funny, quirky, or weird. I enjoy things like Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol, GLA, Nextwave, Fables, Scalped...
    - But I also like normal superhero stuff if it's unique in some way, or just well done. I've been curious about Dr. Strange and got the first couple books of his current series, and it's pretty good.

I remember hearing good things about Hawkeye and Squirrel Girl, are they good places to start? I also enjoyed Agents of Atlas, is that still around?

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Hawkeye and Squirrel Girl are definitely good places to start.

I would strongly recommend checking out Jonathan Hickman's Avengers saga that went from 2012 to 2015. Check out this infographic: http://i.imgur.com/X9zUA8X.png

Other stuff I'd recommend checking out:

Al Ewing's work on Mighty Avengers / Captain America and the Mighty Avengers / Ultimates / New Avengers / USAvengers

Si Spurrier's X-Men Legacy

Tom King's Omega Men and Vision

Grant Morrison's Multiversity

Gerry Duggan's Deadpool and Uncanny Avengers

Kieron Gillen's Young Avengers and Al Ewing's Loki: Agent of Asgard

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Ms. Marvel.

• ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    So I have a Marvel Unlimited subscription now, and I've started reading from Claremont's run on X-Men while also rewatching the 90s X-Men cartoon (I am actually quite impressed with how faithful the cartoon has been now that I'm reading the source material).

When I started Whedon's Astonishing run a little while back everything was strange and confusing (Emma Frost isn't evil? Beast is a catman for some reason? Where's Jean Grey and and Rogue and Gambit and Storm?).

So given that I am very much stuck in the early 90s when it comes to X-Men continuity, what would you guys say is a rough cut-off point after which things will be new and strange and the team lineup changes significantly from what I'm used to?

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Grant Morrison's New X-Men (2001) #114-154 is the key. That's where Jean dies, Scott hooks up with Emma, and Beast became a cat-man. It also introduces characters like Quentin Quire and the Stepford Cuckoos that have become mainstays of the X-books.

As far as Rogue and Gambit, they were around during Whedon's Astonishing, they were just in different X-books. You should read X-Men (1991) from #166 until it changes over to X-Men Legacy (2008) and that up until it ends. Rogue is a main character all throughout.

Reznik
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    Awesome, thanks!

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
14567810»