As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Don't Know Much About Comics? Click Here!

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    They are all happening alongside eachother. Right now, as well as in the 90s, the big characters would be split in two or more teams, and you'd be encouraged to follow two or more main titles as they would be equally "important" in setting up what was happening to the mutants. Then the other titles, your X-Forces and X-Caliburs and New Mutants and what have you, are off to the side to peruse at your own interest, but are often dependent on what was going on in the main title(s) at the time, and occasionally do add things to continuity that are picked up by other books (for example, Claremont's New Mutants and Remender's Uncanny X-Force each add a bunch of stuff, as well as the early run of X-Factor). Additionally, during some runs there are X-Overs which require you to read a few issues of those spin-offs as well.

For most of the 2000s one title would be a flagship that would establish the majority of the continuity and big events going on while the others would be more character-specific and tell smaller stories. From 2000 on, the biggest "flagship" titles are New X-Men until Morrison leaves, then Astonishing X-Men until Whedon leaves, and then the X-Men Deadly Genesis mini followed by Uncanny X-Men, which is the lead book through runs by Ed Brubaker, Matt Fraction, and Karen Gillen. A few issues before that run of Uncanny ends, the Schism event mini happens. Schism then leads into Uncanny X-Men v2 (2012) and Wolverine and the X-Men, which both become flagship titles and very quickly lead into the Avengers vs X-Men event book. After that event book, Uncanny Vol 2 ends and Bendis's All-New X-Men begins, shortly followed by Bendis's Uncanny. Bendis's titles act as the flagship books from that point to the present, although Wolverine and the X-Men continues for awhile as its own somewhat isolated thing.

I don't know alot about the 90s stuff because by most accounts, after Claremont leaves the books become nearly unreadable outside of a couple events like Age of Apocalypse, so I never read any of it.

So yeah, it's extremely confusing. You can try to read it all, or all the main books, but you might have to struggle through the 90s stuff, and other forumers have said there are large holes in what Marvel Unlimited has available from the 80s and 90s. You should definitely read as much as you can of Claremont's 70s and 80s runs, but after that you may want to consider picking a spot and some titles in the 2000s to skip up to. Maybe even considering skipping to the present: Pick up Avengers vs X-Men and then just launch right into Bendis's All-New and Uncanny runs.

When I was getting back into comics several years ago, I read Claremont's run up to Days of Future Past via the Essentials (RIP), and then I jumped right into the monthly, which Fraction had just started writing at the time. It was confusing at times, but I've been reading since then, and I used various wikis to fill the holes in my knowledge, and I eventually worked my way back to Morrison's run in trades, which was extremely helpful because recent runs have leaned heavily on his ideas.

If you get Marvel Unlimited, then my other advice would be to read Morrison's run up to issue 126 before completely giving up on it, because over the course of those issues he slowly catches the reader up and fills in the backstory on many of the things you mentioned as feeling glossed over.

God, this was a long post and I'm not sure how helpful it is. Sorry if this just leaves you more confused.

• Khade97Khade97 PE10, UKRegistered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    God, this was a long post and I'm not sure how helpful it is. Sorry if this just leaves you more confused.

No, that helped loads. Basically everything is happening all in one continuity, sometimes there is a "main" series and "side" series, other times there is just 2 "main" series (or something like that). Is there anything (like a website) that splits the 70's - 90's runs into arcs like the modern stuff seems to be done? That way I could know that Issue X - Y is one "self contained" story, and Issue A - B is another "self contained" story. May be easier to just read like that rather than 7 billion back issues one after the other.

In the 70s and 80s, it's just Claremont. The numbering is all the same, but the title switches from "X-Men" to "Uncanny X-Men" in 1981, and the whole thing is considered to have been Uncanny X-Men before then. Yeah, again, confusing.

At that point, New Mutants is really the only side thing you need to consider, and it's sort of take it or leave it, although the characters from that book go on to be fairly important, and by the late 80s the book is important for being the first official X-team led by Magneto.

Whenever X-Factor starts ('89 or '90, I think), it's important as well, mainly for introducing Apocalypse and Archangel. But otherwise, Claremont's Uncanny X-Men, from issue 94 to 279 (as well as whatever annuals he did and Len Wein's Giant Sized #1), is THE book from 1975 to 1991.

In 1991, Claremont continues writing Uncanny and then does the first 3 issues of adjective-less X-Men. Those three issues are also really good.

Then for some reason Claremont left, and Jim Lee takes over writing in addition to illustrating for awhile, and it's supposedly pretty bad (have not read). Then notoriously bad writer Scott Lobdell and much better journeyman writer Fabian Nicieza take point on the X-books, and I have no idea how they work out after that point. From my understanding, it's mostly just Uncanny X-Men and then adjective-less X-Men still being the lead titles, but at certain points there is a third and forth lead book, and at some points there are also special event mini-series that are also lead titles. So you'll have to find someone who will give you a rundown of X-Men in the 90s, which might be hard to do, because the quality and quantity of '90s X-Books directly contributed to Marvel's near bankruptcy in the mid 90s.

edited January 2015
    Ohh, and I've forgotten something the last two posts.

If you're really dead-set on reading the main books from the start and understanding where and what all the side-series are, Rachel and Miles X-Plain the X-Men will likely be a huge help, most specifically with their audio podcasts, which attempt to recap every single x-men title from the very beginning, but actually skip around a lot.

HadjiQuest on
    IGN did a video of what they claim is every X-Men who was ever on one of the main teams/titles. It also serves as a very good, extremely brief summary of the history of the main X-Titles, but obviously if you're planning to read them all, spoilers ahead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqT4hXxnjYE

• Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Edit: D'oh! There was another page to this thread. High-contrast view and Vanilla are not great friends apparently. So basically what HadjiQuest already said.

Snipping the spoilers tag to answers the questions:
    Khade97 wrote: »
    I thought I had figured out that a lot of the alternative titles (X-Force, X-Factor etc) were just spin-off stories of separate teams / groups. However looking through the Marvel wiki I think there are 2 "chains"?

One seems to be X-Men (1963-68), Giant Sized X-Men (1975), X-Men (1975-81), Uncanny X-Men (1981-95), Astonishing X-Men (1995), Uncanny X-Men (1995-11), Uncanny X-Men v2 (2012), Uncanny X-Men v3 (2012 - Ongoing)

The seconds seems to start in 1991 with X-Men v2 (1991-01), New X-Men (2001-04), X-Men v2 (2004-08), X-Men Legacy (2008-12)

Are these separate continuities or are they happening alongside one-another? I honestly can't tell!

They are the same continuity, usually focusing on different teams of X-Men (when it started, there were so many X-Men that they divided in two teams: Blue (Cyclops, Wolverine, Beast, Rogue, Psylocke and Gambit (with Jubilee as tagalong)) and Gold (Storm, Jean, Archangel, Iceman, Colossus and originally Banshee and Forge, but they were almost immediately replaced by Bishop).
    How do you know what order to read things in when they are published side by side? e.g. X-Men v2 starts mid way between the run on Uncanny X-Men, so at what point would you stop one and go to the other? Would this be an obvious story point, or are you just expected to "know".

As they were independent teams, usually the storylines were independent as well till the crossovers. Later on it gets more muddled so sadly no easy answer.
    Which chain would X-Factor / X-Force fit into, or is that a minefield all of its own?

X-Force and X-Factor are both independent teams (or rather several teams, both titles have been relaunched several times with completely different teams and premises).

X-Force started out as the X-Men's students the New Mutants going independent, then during the Milligan/Allred run was a completely independent title with little to no ties to the other X-Men titles (except for the mandatory guest appearance by Wolverine). Then we get the more recent incarnation of the team where X-Force is basically a blackops X-Men team.

X-Factor was originally a reunion of the original five X-Men, then became a superhero team working for the government. Its previous run focused on a mutant team running a detective agency and its current run has a mutant team working for a big company.

Dizzy D on
    Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Khade97Khade97 PE10, UKRegistered User regular
    @Centipede Damascus, @HadjiQuest, @Dizzy D - Thanks to everyone, you were all a great help and I finally have my head round things. Going to ready a few of the Uncanny X-Men arcs from the 1970's and then start jumping forwards through major arcs cutting out "filler". Should get me up to speed so that I can start reading the newer stuff.

• McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I do most of my comic reading digitally but like to grab physical copies of the stuff that really grabs me. I've enjoyed the Captain Marvel (Danvers) stuff I've read and see the collections helpfully listed a few pages back, is there any chance they'll bring out a hardcover collection in the near future? Because after reading the Hawkeye oversized hardcover I don't want to go back.

Also, the Khamala Khan Ms Marvel stuff is awesome and I recommend it to everyone (just so I feel like I'm contributing, even if it's something no one has asked).

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    There's a Ms.Marvel hardcover coming out later this year, but nothing scheduled for Captain Marvel. Most stuff doesn't get collected in Hardcover (typically just the super popular stuff, like Thor/IronMan/Captain America/Avengers or stuff that winds up surprisingly popular like Rocket Raccoon and Ms. Marvel.

Thanks. Didn't want to shell out for paperbacks after already getting the digital versions if a hardcover was on the way, but now I can give them my money in peace! And yay Ms Marvel hardcover.

I mean, I wouldn't be surprised a hardcover omnibus is released in time for the movie, but that's years away.

I come once again seeking your great wisdom!

My SO saw the Spider-Gwen cover and pretty much squee'd all over the place - she hasn't shown a lot of interest in comics (but enjoys the MCU movies) until now so it seems like this might be a chance. I haven't been a huge Spider-Fan but have picked up Spider-Gwen #1 and the 'Edge of Spiderverse' comics for her, from my read-through it seems to jump right in. I know it's all tied up with the spiderverse stuff that's about to go down, and the marvel wiki says she has appeared in some ASM issues too, but is anyone able to give me an idea of what issues I should grab that, even if they don't feature Spider-Gwen directly, give a bit of context?

I know it's probably asking a lot, and if the answer is 'Start at ASM #(x)' that's fine - just trying to find the line between having her read 30 issues without Gwen appearing and losing interest, and being thrown in at the deep end.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Well, I would personally just skip the Spider-Verse stuff. If you do want to read it for more Spider-Gwen appearances, first off the Spider-Verse Wikipedia page has all the information on the story you need:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Verse#Titles_involved

Basically the main story is just Amazing Spider-Man #9-15, with a bunch of tie-ins. Spider-Gwen only appears in the main story and the Spider-Verse tie-in issues of Spider-Woman. I don't think anything else is really needed.

Thanks, from a bit of googling I thought it jumped around a fair bit more than that!

Reading orders for events can get really complicated if you try to read all the tie-ins in chronological order, definitely.

Luckily most of the time you can just disregard almost all the tie-ins without missing anything in the main story.

• PacMan1979PacMan1979 Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Reposted in more current thread. Please disregard.

PacMan1979 on
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    I'm looking for some oddly specific comics, and the local comic shops have tried but have thus far been unable to recommend much that fits what I'm looking for so I'm wondering if you guys could help.

I'm looking for something horror based, with ghosts and monsters and witches and the paranormal. I DO NOT want anything that has angels in it. I straight up hate angels. I'm not really looking for anything cosmic either, but I might check out something Cthulhuesque if it seems interesting. I basically want something that is kind of close to the first 3 seasons of Supernatural, or early X-Files minus the heavy conspiracy angle. I really like more low-key folklore based stuff as opposed to super huge world ending prophecies and whatever.

I already read Hellboy/BPRD, and I don't want any of the TV show based comics. I figure there's got to be some obscure indie title or something that is close to what I want. Pls halp.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    Hello all, I have a stupid question.

I went to Free Comic Book Day and picked up a bunch of stuff, but the one I enjoyed the most by a long shot was The Phantom. I loved the pulpy style and the exotic setting with all sorts of sexy mysteries, with titles like "The River With No End". I was also totally into the WWII-ish time period and the idea of fighting pirates. Because they need to be fighted.

The only thing I didn't like is that the stories were both very short, presumably because they were in newspapers. I also think I would enjoy it more if there was the possibility of cameos from other cool dudes like Batman or Wolverine.

Is there something like The Phantom in the DC or Marvel universes, something more long form? I tried looking myself and came up very short. I know Marvel and DC both had very short-lived Phantom comics themselves, but I was wondering if there was something that was below my radar that matched.

Thanks!

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    it's not Marvel/DC, but if you are in the mood for pulp adventure comics with absolutely incredible art, you should check out The Black Beetle by Francesco Francavilla from Dark Horse Comics.

unknown.jpeg

It's pulp adventure in the vein of the Shadow or Green Hornet with a dash of Batman, and it's great.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Reznik wrote: »
    I'm looking for some oddly specific comics, and the local comic shops have tried but have thus far been unable to recommend much that fits what I'm looking for so I'm wondering if you guys could help.

I'm looking for something horror based, with ghosts and monsters and witches and the paranormal. I DO NOT want anything that has angels in it. I straight up hate angels. I'm not really looking for anything cosmic either, but I might check out something Cthulhuesque if it seems interesting. I basically want something that is kind of close to the first 3 seasons of Supernatural, or early X-Files minus the heavy conspiracy angle. I really like more low-key folklore based stuff as opposed to super huge world ending prophecies and whatever.

I already read Hellboy/BPRD, and I don't want any of the TV show based comics. I figure there's got to be some obscure indie title or something that is close to what I want. Pls halp.

This might not be everything you're looking for, but there was a DC mini series made back in 2002ish called Human Defense Corps, which was basically a division of the military to deal with some of the meta threats. And it involved quite a bit of paranormal without angels, from what I recall.

It's really self contained and never goes very far into the DCU with regards to the heroes and whatnot, it's an average soldier guy POV story.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Reznik wrote: »

Afterlife With Archie is the best zombie horror movie in comic form I've ever read, but lacks most of those other supernatural elements you listed aside from one issue.

It's spinoff title, The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina? That checks off a whole lot of those boxes.

also don't let the Archie Comics part fool you, this is dark, creepy horror comics first, and uses the Archie part to inform the characterizations and lend some light, creepy humour. A Preview of The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina can be found here: http://archiecomics.com/new-ongoing-series-chilling-adventures-of-sabrina/

UnbrokenEva on
    Back in the early 2000s Crossgen had a title Route 666, set in basically Cold War USA of the 50s.

Also not obscure, but Hellblazer ticks a lot of boxes you mention (occassionally you get Angels, but of the 300 issues there were, those are relatively few.

Lewisham wrote: »
    Hello all, I have a stupid question.

I went to Free Comic Book Day and picked up a bunch of stuff, but the one I enjoyed the most by a long shot was The Phantom. I loved the pulpy style and the exotic setting with all sorts of sexy mysteries, with titles like "The River With No End". I was also totally into the WWII-ish time period and the idea of fighting pirates. Because they need to be fighted.

The only thing I didn't like is that the stories were both very short, presumably because they were in newspapers. I also think I would enjoy it more if there was the possibility of cameos from other cool dudes like Batman or Wolverine.

Is there something like The Phantom in the DC or Marvel universes, something more long form? I tried looking myself and came up very short. I know Marvel and DC both had very short-lived Phantom comics themselves, but I was wondering if there was something that was below my radar that matched.

Thanks!

Sandman Mystery Theatre would be the first one coming to my mind as a pulp-style hero in the DC universe. Not as much exotic locations though

Not Marvel or DC, but Image has Five Ghosts, which is very pulp and does have the exotic locations.

Ooo, Five Ghosts looks good! Thank you!

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    So, my burgeoning collection is in need of proper storage. I have all the bags and boards that one could want. But what I don't have is a good box. I do not have a local shop to help me with this so, I ask you, if you were choosing one from the wild marketplace of Amazon, which box would you choose?

whatever brand they are, I bought my boxes back in the day from mycomicshop.com. One thing I always did was add another layer of cardboard inside on all the corners to reenforce it.

• Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    This is kind of a long shot but I thought I'd ask in here: are there any Batgirl stories/trades that particularly revolve around her being a librarian? A friend of mine is getting her MLS in a few months and was very excited to learn Batgirl is/was a librarian, and I thought it might make a fun gift.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
    Hello! I have another stupid question.

I have learnt what a pull list is. This sounds neat, but I do not want individual issues, I want trade paperbacks only. Is there some web site that has a pull list for TPB? Or could just automagically order from Amazon or something? I just want Detective Comics, and maybe any other interesting Batman stuff from the other publications rolled in.

I do not want to use Comixology.

Hello! I have another stupid question.

I have learnt what a pull list is. This sounds neat, but I do not want individual issues, I want trade paperbacks only. Is there some web site that has a pull list for TPB? Or could just automagically order from Amazon or something? I just want Detective Comics, and maybe any other interesting Batman stuff from the other publications rolled in.

I do not want to use Comixology.

It's pretty much going to be on you, for trades. Some shops will allow you to pull collected editions for a title, but it's a real hassle and it's easy for stores to forget to order you a copy when it's handled that way just because trade releases are far apart and fairly inconsistent. With DC's titles, you're looking at a 6-8 month window for a book to get collected in hardcover, and then another 6-8 months for it to hit softcover/trade paperback. A story arc may also run an abnormal number of issues, leading to a longer delay before the collected edition, and a higher price and page count.

You're essentially just going to need to either monitor the list of new releases, or figure out when the trades are coming out for the series you want to follow, and then preorder them accordingly online or from your local shop.

Is there a good web site to figure out when the trades are coming out, and which I might be interested in given that I like Batman, seeing as how he appears in all sorts of titles?

The DC web site seems woefully inadequate at telling me this stuff.

Is there a good web site to figure out when the trades are coming out, and which I might be interested in given that I like Batman, seeing as how he appears in all sorts of titles?

Soliciations are usually only a few months ahead. Amazon typically has some pretty farther out stuff. I typically go to the publisher's area and sort by release date.
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=lp_193766_st?rh=n:283155,n:!1000,n:4366,n:4396,n:193766&qid=1435591389&sort=date-desc-rank

http://www.collectedcomicslibrary.com/collected-edition-release-schedule/ seems like a good place to start. (It's just the dates and titles, so you'd need another source to figure out what collection would include .. say.. Batman, for example).

• BankruptsteveBankruptsteve Registered User regular
    I haven't read through this entire thread but do like the list of comics in the initial post. I would like to add to that list also.

Humanoids:
    Incal
    Metabarons
    Technopriest.

These are the 3 titles in the jodoverse written by Alejandro Jodorowsky.

Also, Lost at Sea from bryan o'malley (writer of scott pilgrim).

• TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Looking to get into Daredevil and I'd always heard that Frank Miller had done good things with the character.

On the suggestion of the OP I looked at Born Again which sounds pretty cool, but then I saw Frank Millers works were collected into three volumes.

I've always loved Daredevil, especially when I was a little kid, so I'd rather just grab the collected volumes if they also contain the Born Again story. Can anyone here tell me if it does? The store pages don't really indicate either way as far as I could tell and maybe someone here owns them or knows better.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Taranis wrote: »
    Looking to get into Daredevil and I'd always heard that Frank Miller had done good things with the character.

On the suggestion of the OP I looked at Born Again which sounds pretty cool, but then I saw Frank Millers works were collected into three volumes.

I've always loved Daredevil, especially when I was a little kid, so I'd rather just grab the collected volumes if they also contain the Born Again story. Can anyone here tell me if it does? The store pages don't really indicate either way as far as I could tell and maybe someone here owns them or knows better.

Looking at issue numbers, I don't think it is. Wikipedia says Born Again was Daredevil 227 - 231 but it looks like the third volume stops at 219.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
    The three volumes collect Miller's first run, Daredevil #168-191, which is also very good. He came back later to do Born Again in 227-231, which was on a whole other level.

Thanks for the responses. I picked up Born Again and I'll probably get the others later.

EH28YFo.jpg
    If you;re into Frank Miller Daredevil, there is also the TPB Daredevil: The Man Without Fear by Miller and John Romita Jr. which is basically Daredevil: Year One. This was published years after Miller's initial run on Daredevil. There is also Daredevil: Love and War, an OGN by Miller and Sienkiewivz, but I don't know if that one was reprinted recently. It fits somewhere in the original run by Miller on Daredevil.

I'll be sure to check those out after I finish the comics I'm reading now. The Daredevil show on Netflix has rekindled my childhood interest in the character.

Can someone recommend me something that's kind of lighthearted and funny but still containing a fair amount of action? I usually prefer dark comics (I'm reading Peacher, 100 bullets, and Alan Moore's Swamp Thing now and Daredevil soon) and could use a palate cleanser to read in between them. Maybe something with a completed story arc?

EH28YFo.jpg
    I'll be sure to check those out after I finish the comics I'm reading now. The Daredevil show on Netflix has rekindled my childhood interest in the character.

Can someone recommend me something that's kind of lighthearted and funny but still containing a fair amount of action? I usually prefer dark comics (I'm reading Peacher, 100 bullets, and Alan Moore's Swamp Thing now and Daredevil soon) and could use a palate cleanser to read in between them. Maybe something with a completed story arc?

Some complete lighthearted stuff that comes to mind:

High Roads
    X-Men/Steve Rogers: Escape From the Negative Zone
    JLA: Golden Perfect
    Chuck Dixon's Nightwing (vol. 1: Bludhaven) - darker than the others listed but Nightwing is light hearted throughout.
    Ant-Man: Second Chance Man
    Mini Marvels
    Spider-Man/Human Torch

The first thing that comes to my mind is Claremont and Davis' Excalibur, which is a really light-hearted, fun adventure series. Bone by Jeff Smith is something you need to read if you haven't already. G. Willow Wilson's Ms. Marvel has two or three trades out by now and is something every person should read.