As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Things that make you go "wut"

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    I would say that the ones that don't make a big deal about being discriminated against are okay

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    hey yeah let's make fun of people with brain problems that's always worth a laugh

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    in a few years when people like this are taken seriously on the internet, i hope i am dead

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    hey yeah let's make fun of people with brain problems that's always worth a laugh

you're just mad 'cause you think you're a jellyfish

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    We need more doctors and better meds

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    animse k'nuckles x candywife 8w8;;;;
    @Beasteh HAPPY BIRTHDAY ROSS

omg

no mensch ross is nothing but a man

a beautiful, loving, sensual man

im my own worst anime

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular

the entertainment industry is literally built on it.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    We need more doctors and better meds

we need to live in that one Slider's universe where everyone is on drugs forever

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    now "therian" is probably just a new word for "otherkin", right

• Options

maybe later we can go down to the hospital and do jumping jacks in front of all the sick kids

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Like, if you really think you're a cat inside, or Balki from Perfect Strangers, that's your deal, man

But I'm not gonna call you that, and maybe don't call that discrimination

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    that word's something to do with shapeshifting isn't it

so I guess that would fit

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    now "therian" is probably just a new word for "otherkin", right
    yes

• Options
    I felt like a transgender being attempting to pass for the first time. Not that I was aiming to “pass” as Japanese, but I was very nervous

• Options
    i just discovered transabled.

I.

I don't know what i think about anything anymore.

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular

I mean yeah it really sucks that many of them have untreated/undiagnosed mental illnesses/are just kind of sad,

but it kind of sucks to be trying to make otherkin junk and trans issues the same thing

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Melding wrote: »

I.

I felt like a transgender being attempting to pass for the first time. Not that I was aiming to “pass” as Japanese, but I was very nervous

Is my brain going to break itt

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    During my rite of manhood I had to stay out in the wild for three days without food or water or shelter and after those three hard days I got to meet my spirit animal.

Words cannot describe how happy I was when I saw that it was Son Goku.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options

I.

oh dang

http://www.squidoo.com/transabled

I think I remember a while ago reading about this guy who cut off his hand because of this kind of thing

• Options
    Throw earth out the airlock

• Options
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    During my rite of manhood I had to stay out in the wild for three days without food or water or shelter and after those three hard days I got to meet my spirit animal.

from the anime or, like, the chinese novel

• Options
    Hey, we’re the Hale System, a multiple system currently consiting of three people. One of us is a homestuck troll,

• Options
    Artreus wrote: »

I mean yeah it really sucks that many of them have untreated/undiagnosed mental illnesses/are just kind of sad,

but it kind of sucks to be trying to make otherkin junk and trans issues the same thing

yeah, it's one thing to have brain problems, or identity issues (as a queer male with anxiety/depression issues, i totally get that)

but conflating "no one will call me a kitty cat" with "hey i tried to use the bathroom, and now i'm in jail" or "my partner is dying and i can't go see him" is more than a little harmful, and that bugs me

• Options
    and you use the phrase “i’m all ears” which is also ableist by the way, my deaf ears do not thank you for this at all.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »

The real one.

• Options

right but again untreated mental illnesses and also probably a good amount of ignorance

laughing at how stupid and insane you think these people are is not the right thing to do

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    A lot of this seems to just be highly ingrained body dismorphia given different labels.

I can understand that. That's fine.

but, i guess i'm saying there is degrees of tolerance here, and i'm not at them.

Hating yourself because you aren't fat? okay. that makes sense. i can understand this. hating yourself because you're not bruce banner, that's where you lose me.

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    Throw earth out the airlock

I can get behind this.

• Options
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »

The real one.

oh OH

I am honored to be your spirit guide, chico-san

• Options

right but again untreated mental illnesses and also probably a good amount of ignorance

laughing at how stupid and insane you think these people are is not the right thing to do

Ignorance only goes so far

When your response to someone saying "we should treat your scoliosis" is "YOU'RE DISCRIMINATING AGAINST ME," then it becomes another issue entirely

I've seen more than my share of cases where genuine help/advice is met with claims of oppression, where the culture itself (not the people, in that regard, I completely agree with you) becomes toxic

• Options
    IF YOU SHAME SELF DIAGNOSIS YOU ARE BEING CLASSIST, ABLIEST, AGEIST, AND JUST A GENERAL FUCKHOLE

this genuinely makes me sad

• Options
    edited July 2012
    I am also stating for the record

I don't think i'm actually a dinosaur.

Though my plans to change my name to Dinosaur are completely accurate, i don't believe i am in fact a Tyrannosaurus

Nor am i a paleontologist

Paleontology. Not Even Once.

Melding on
  • Options
    there was a post a couple of days back about the autistic transasian pansexual otherkin basically coming clean and admitting to being a troll account

created to point out what a fucking social justice trainwreck tumblr et al has become

i agree with the overall message and cant seem to find it

• Options
    Though my plans to change my name to Dinosaur are completely accurate, i don't believe i am in fact a Tyrannosaurus

melding said, finding it difficult to type with such tiny two-fingered forelimbs

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I mean I genuinely think a lot of Otherkin are just misguided kids trying to feel special on the internet.

But a lot of it still makes my blood boil.

There was this one article about how coming out for LGBTQ is now so expected, accepted and generally blase whereas the REAL trauma is coming out for Otherkin. I wanted to poop in their mouths.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    there was a post a couple of days back about the autistic transasian pansexual otherkin basically coming clean and admitting to being a troll account

created to point out what a fucking social justice trainwreck tumblr et al has become

http://prince-koyangi.tumblr.com/post/26529354574/letting-the-cat-out-of-the-bag

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Beasteh wrote: »

found it:

http://prince-koyangi.tumblr.com/post/26529354574/letting-the-cat-out-of-the-bag
    Consider the following. You have created a community in which someone can claim to be an autistic pangender asexual demiromantic trans-Asian cat otherkin and not be immediately denounced as a troll. Whether you think these identities are valid or not, you find it plausible that someone would believe they are a Korean cat with autism and appropriate social justice terminology to defend that belief. What does that say about the state of your community? (And that’s not even starting on the people who actually supported us).

I find it so utterly absurd that a movement whose original purpose was to defend the rights of POC, trans* individuals, and other oppressed groups has been co-opted by people who believe they are dragons or that they have Homestuck characters living inside their head. It’s hilarious to me. It’s also incredibly offensive. I think what happened is that the SJ movement’s message of acceptance was somehow generalized to mean that if you don’t accept everything,you are a bigot —and the outcasts of the internet, the furries, the soulbonders, latched onto that, because they had finally found a place where no one could make fun of them. A “safe space”, if you will.

But it’s completely stupid (tw: ableism) and it trivializes the struggles of people who actually suffer from oppression (people laughing at you on the internet is not oppression). It also enables unhealthy escapist attitudes and, in some cases, severe mental illness. One of our more fervent supporters is a diagnosed schizophrenic, who’s chalked up their schizophrenic delusions to their identity as a “multiple system”. Don’t tell them to get treatment, or you’re being oppressive! In short: the Tumblr SJ community has turned into a giant joke. And what better way to lampoon it than with, well… a giant joke?

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    On the outside I look like a normal white guy but on the inside I feel like I'm Terry Crews.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    like when you equate accepting trans alongside accepting people who think they are dragons or fairies or homestucks

its fucking damaging and a line has to be drawn

This discussion has been closed.