As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

iBook G4 Problems

Lawful EvilLawful Evil Registered User regular
edited July 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I've had this iBook for the past 8 years, and it's only failed me now. I'm on OSX 10.4, and when ever I boot my laptop up, it gets stuck at the blue screen where the account log-in screen is supposed to appear. I've tried nearly everything. Booted up using my 10.4 cd, re-installed my OS completely, did Disk Utility, (repaired eveything) did /fsck and restarted the PRAM. All my attempts have failed. The only way I'm actually getting into the desktop is when I boot using Safe Mode.

I've gone to the Mac shop last week and they told me to re-install my OS (which unfortunately they didn't have a CD for 10.4, given how old it is), but I've done that and thrown in the kitchen sink to boot. I'm now worried that it might be a hardware issue.

Help and advice please, H&A?

Do not believe that the impossible exists. That is why you fail.
Lawful Evil on

• Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    Well, 8 years is a pretty long time for a laptop to keep on ticking, so worst case be happy about that. Did you recently install any apps that might not be playing nice at startup?

When my old 15" PowerBook started to act up and do similar things, pulling one of the RAM modules solved the issue. That would be a hardware fix that would be cheap enough to try in order to salvage your iBook. I can't imagine RAM for an 8 year old computer costs very much.

• Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    Sounds like bad RAM. Mac OS used to be really picky about memory (in the PPC era) and if something flakes out just a little bit the OS can crash. It probably works in safe mode because you aren’t loading enough system daemons to hit the bad sector of the bad memory chip, but in a normal boot you do.