Options

Is it worth it to get my PS3 repaired?

Goose!Goose! That's me, honeyShow me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
I have a fat PS3 and have had it for around 4 and a half years. Tonight when I attempted to play a game, after just shutting the game off about an hour ago from playing) the light went green for a few seconds and then beeped 3 times flashed red. I have unplugged it for now in hopes that tomorrow it could work. Should it not be the issue, has anyone had a PS3 repaired before (or gotten a quote?) I know I heard SONY charges 150 plus tax from one (unverified) source, and I have seen online that for about $180 I can get a 160 GB slim (my fat PS3 is 80GB).

Does anyone have any advice or idea how much a repair will usually cost?

Goose! on

• Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    My fat has done that before. It's either a drive error or heat or something I don't know. It should be fine though, it's been happening to me, once a month for........2 years.

Something didn't start right, it's rebooting, and letting you know.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    That's pretty terrifying, since I use the same model of PS3.

Part of the question is, how much does BC matter to you? Obviously, a PS2 slim is not out of the question, but transferring your saves over will take some effort.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    If it's a BC model, then a repair/refurb is worth it. If it's not, then replacement is probably the way to go.

When my 60GB BC PS3 died, it cost $150 for Sony to repair. They accepted mine and send back a different refurb'd unit. You get a 90 day warranty on the replaced console. They also offered to replace the console with a new 320GB slim for $99 as another option. I obviously opted to keep BC.

If you can get your console to boot up, then BACK IT UP. If it died once in a temporary fashion, it will die again and you don't want to lose your data like I did mine. Be sure to back up PS1/PS2 virtual memory cards onto a USB stick or something, they are not included in the PS3 backup process.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I cannot figure out how to get it to boot up, otherwise I would.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    I'm also interested in this thread's response. My PS3 (BC) has now been overheating and shutting off after 2-3 minutes of being on. I really don't want to send it to Sony to get a refurbed unit that isn't the same machine I own... So now it collects dust while I wait, trying to decide what to do.

• Options
    Absurdity MatrixAbsurdity Matrix Tumbledown Glory On the OutskirtsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    That sounds like the infamous Yellow Light of Death. My backwards-compatible PS3 recently suffered it for a second time. I can't tell you if it's worth it, but I can tell you what I've learned so far.

The first time, this past December, I took it to Play-N-Trade ($160), but it the fix didn't last.

This time, I'm shipping it to Endless Electronics. After the $30 diagnostic, their more expensive basic repair is $80 and has a two-year warranty. They will happily sell you additional options, and that can add up. I haven't gotten it back, so I don't have more to add yet.

I will offer the following bits of advice:

Know that if you move your PS3's hard drive to a new PS3, the first thing that happens is a reformatting.

If you get it repaired and it ever suddenly shuts itself down, back up the hard drive at the next opportunity you can. Boy, I wish I did.

If you don't have a back-up and you don't care about resurrecting your PS3, consider looking for a service that will give you a back-up of the hard drive.

Finally, I'll just say that it isn't so bad getting a PS3 from a pawn shop.

Absurdity Matrix on
  • Options
    I didn't realize that it formats the HDD when you put it in a new PS3. Couldn't I just take the HDD and plug it into my computer and backup the data that way?

• Options
    Absurdity MatrixAbsurdity Matrix Tumbledown Glory On the OutskirtsRegistered User regular
    Apparently plugging the HDD to your PC doesn't work, but I admit I've never attempted it myself.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Nope. The PS3 hard drive is encrypted and keyed to the unit it's installed in. Either you get a backup from that PS3, or you lose your data. :(

• Options
    That is infuriating.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    But think about the hackers!

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    I used a service called gophermods, who fixed my disk drive for around $100. Have to pay for shipping, but it's still running fine and they have a good reputation. Looks like they charge $70 for YLOD (or red light blinking like you have).

• Options
    I got my PS3 back from Endless Electronics last week. It's running fine, but I still have to complete the 30hr 'breaking in' period (don't run for more than 1 or 2 hrs, then give it a break).

They also offered some additional advice on keeping your PS3 happy and cool. One, eject the disk if you're not using it. Two, if the fan is running hard, don't just shut down the PS3; instead quit the game, eject the disk, and let the fan return to normal running speed, if possible.

• Options
    texasdmtexasdm Registered User new member
    In my opinion, if the PS3 is backwards compatible it will be worth your while to fix it. I fixed my own ps3 myself with the help of a guide I found on PS3fixforme (search it). Its pretty detailed. I personally did the watercooling and never got a ylod again.

This discussion has been closed.