Options

Why the hell does it have to be called Battles of Prince of Persia?

2

Posts

  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Sharp10r wrote: »
    Tacking on the PoP brand worked here. My wife bought ti for me for Christmas because she knew I liked SoT, and it turned out to be really good! Sadly, my DS quickly backlogged because I got a Wii (and crazy hard classes at grad school!)
    Does it have on-line play?

    Online no, 2 player wireless though. The games take too long to play online against someone you can't talk to anyhow, it'd get boring and you'd wander off to take a leak and the other guy would ditch the match because he got sick of waiting for you to get back with no idea why you suddenly stopped making moves.

    Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Putting a brand on a game just makes sense. More people are going to buy a game that adds to a story they're already invested in than not, and if that branding gets more people playing more diverse genres of games then all the better.

    Seriously, the DS needs more strategy titles. Battles of PoP and Advance Wars DS are all I can think of. Where the hell is my DS port of Front Mission 1st?

    jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Didn't this game not sell well in the first place.

    Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Agentflit wrote: »
    This has become the "disagree with pheezer" thread (I liked canvas curse but way too short).

    Somehow I get the impression there are a lot of people who do no further research than the front (MAYBE the back) of a game box. I have no statistics to back this up.

    Ironicly, we're doing nothing but back up his point that games with the same branding as a popular series in a different genre can often be awesome. Not that I disagree with that point, of course.

    jothki on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Canvas Curse is my favorite DS game. Pheezer you are wrong and also stupid.

    Zek on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    jclast wrote: »
    Putting a brand on a game just makes sense. More people are going to buy a game that adds to a story they're already invested in than not, and if that branding gets more people playing more diverse genres of games then all the better.

    Seriously, the DS needs more strategy titles. Battles of PoP and Advance Wars DS are all I can think of. Where the hell is my DS port of Front Mission 1st?

    oh christ don't even say that

    A DS Front Mission would instantly be the best one in the series. They could port over every single one and downgrade the graphics and change the cut scenes as much as they need to in order for it to fit and I would be in no way offended. Controlling those games via the stylus would pretty much be as perfect as perfect gets.

    Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What the fuck, Pheezer? Sonic Spinball might be the BEST Sonic game. Ever.

    And Canvas Curse was great.

    And so is Battles of Prince of Persia.

    Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    ZoneZone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    There is a Front Mission remake in production for the DS guys.

    Zone on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Carnivore wrote: »
    What happens in Ghosts of Onyx.


    Yeah, the whole plot. Right now. GO!
    So, these guys, like, they're all shadowy and shit. They wan't more supersoldiers, but ones that can die. So they make Spartan-III's, made for suicide missions. Then, when MC makes the first Halo go all explodey(okay, slightly before that) the robot things come up and start killing everyone on the S3 training planet. So Dr. Halsey, who made the spartans, goes there because she wants to protect the spartans. So they go into the evil robot factory while the evil robots are destroying covenant fleets in space. Then, the spartans go into this little portal thingy while there coach blows up a nuke to stop covies from getting in. Book ends.

    Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Senor Fish wrote: »
    Carnivore wrote: »
    What happens in Ghosts of Onyx.


    Yeah, the whole plot. Right now. GO!
    So, these guys, like, they're all shadowy and shit. They wan't more supersoldiers, but ones that can die. So they make Spartan-III's, made for suicide missions. Then, when MC makes the first Halo go all explodey(okay, slightly before that) the robot things come up and start killing everyone on the S3 training planet. So Dr. Halsey, who made the spartans, goes there because she wants to protect the spartans. So they go into the evil robot factory while the evil robots are destroying covenant fleets in space. Then, the spartans go into this little portal thingy while there coach blows up a nuke to stop covies from getting in. Book ends.

    Yeah that sounds like classic fucking literature right there.

    Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    pheezer FD wrote: »
    Senor Fish wrote: »
    Carnivore wrote: »
    What happens in Ghosts of Onyx.


    Yeah, the whole plot. Right now. GO!
    So, these guys, like, they're all shadowy and shit. They wan't more supersoldiers, but ones that can die. So they make Spartan-III's, made for suicide missions. Then, when MC makes the first Halo go all explodey(okay, slightly before that) the robot things come up and start killing everyone on the S3 training planet. So Dr. Halsey, who made the spartans, goes there because she wants to protect the spartans. So they go into the evil robot factory while the evil robots are destroying covenant fleets in space. Then, the spartans go into this little portal thingy while there coach blows up a nuke to stop covies from getting in. Book ends.

    Yeah that sounds like classic fucking literature right there.
    It's actually pretty good.

    But what the hell do I know? My english teacher made us write stories about superhero's, and I came up with Bean Burrito Boy, a boy who flies on farts.

    Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    pheezer FD wrote: »
    Senor Fish wrote: »
    Carnivore wrote: »
    What happens in Ghosts of Onyx.


    Yeah, the whole plot. Right now. GO!
    So, these guys, like, they're all shadowy and shit. They wan't more supersoldiers, but ones that can die. So they make Spartan-III's, made for suicide missions. Then, when MC makes the first Halo go all explodey(okay, slightly before that) the robot things come up and start killing everyone on the S3 training planet. So Dr. Halsey, who made the spartans, goes there because she wants to protect the spartans. So they go into the evil robot factory while the evil robots are destroying covenant fleets in space. Then, the spartans go into this little portal thingy while there coach blows up a nuke to stop covies from getting in. Book ends.

    Yeah that sounds like classic fucking literature right there.

    Oh good. You don't like something a lot of people do. That's a good reason to blow it off as fluff.

    Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    This sounds interesting. I should look into it.

    Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    TingleTingle __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Agentflit wrote: »
    I liked canvas curse but way too short.
    What the hell are you talking about? I bet you only rushed through the game once with Kirby and called it a day? Not even getting any medals or playing through it with the other 4 (!) awesome characters?

    God, I hate people that hate on a game for being short when they only finished like 10% of it so much. NSMB gets a lot of this too, people call it easy and over too quick while getting everything is pretty damn hard (especially the stuff you have to do as mini Mario) and in the end it always turns out they only have like one of the three stars behind the file (i.e. full completion), hardly unlocked any of the secret paths and levels, and even skipped worlds 4 and 7. Pathetic.
    jclast wrote: »
    Seriously, the DS needs more strategy titles. Battles of PoP and Advance Wars DS are all I can think of. Where the hell is my DS port of Front Mission 1st?
    There's also Age of Empires.

    Tingle on
  • Options
    cherv1cherv1 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    In fairness I think that NSMB probably is a bit easier, not just because of the length, which takes a while if you complete it, but I played NSMB a while ago, and am now playing through SMB3, which is harder in my opinion, because it doesn't have things like secondary powerup and checkpoints which NSMB had I think.

    cherv1 on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I hate canvas curse.

    The 3 hours of gameplay I put into it before quiting at those last few pain-in-the-ass levels did not warrant $30.

    It's disapointing, because I love Kirby, but that and amazing mirror both sucked.

    However, I will be getting Squeak Squad soon. Classic Kirby ftw.

    HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    TingleTingle __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    The 3 hours of gameplay I put into it before quiting at those last few pain-in-the-ass levels did not warrant $30.
    ...

    This reasoning is just completely upside down. It's like saying "I bought WoW, played it for 10 minutes, didn't like it. Shortest game ever!"

    Everyone who just plays CC the normal way, i.e. with Metaknight, Dedede, etc., getting the medals and stuff, gets at leats 20 hours out of it. And every minute of it is pure gaming bliss. So to the majority, it's 30 bucks very well spent.

    Tingle on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So wait, this game is actually good?

    Like the OP, I just assumed it was crap.

    Also, is Age of Empires DS any good?

    Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Htown wrote: »
    So wait, this game is actually good?

    Like the OP, I just assumed it was crap.

    Also, is Age of Empires DS any good?

    Age of Empires is pretty good as long as you don't name your profile somehting with three letters. Cause the game has this awesome feature where if your profile is only three characters long then not only does it wipe your save game, but it wipes the game entirely.

    BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    I hate canvas curse.

    The 3 hours of gameplay I put into it before quiting at those last few pain-in-the-ass levels did not warrant $30.

    It's disapointing, because I love Kirby, but that and amazing mirror both sucked.

    However, I will be getting Squeak Squad soon. Classic Kirby ftw.

    With the three hours you spent playing Canvas Curse you could beat Squeak Squad twice over.

    MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    TingleTingle __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    I hate canvas curse.

    The 3 hours of gameplay I put into it before quiting at those last few pain-in-the-ass levels did not warrant $30.

    It's disapointing, because I love Kirby, but that and amazing mirror both sucked.

    However, I will be getting Squeak Squad soon. Classic Kirby ftw.

    With the three hours you spent playing Canvas Curse you could beat Squeak Squad twice over.
    This is actually not true either. Same story: if you're just rushing to the boss then maybe (though not bloody likely), but not if you want to get everything (all 120 unlockables, secret levels, etc.).

    And besides, it's a great game all the way through with stunning graphics (some of the best 2d spritework I've seen in any game ever), delicious gameplay and too many awesome powers to count. Powersystem wise, SS is the best Kirby game in the series (with the UFO, karate, throw ability, magic bubble, top hat, laser beam, power upgrades, the GHOST THAT LETS YOU POSSESS ENEMIES AND CONTROL THEM* etc. etc.).

    * Seriously. In a Kirby game. Best. Power. EVER.

    Tingle on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Canvas Curse made me buy a DS. I never regretted it for a minute. <3

    Glal on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    And yes, when I saw Battles of Prince of Persia, I though "Shovel ware. Fuck that"

    Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Tingle wrote: »

    God, I hate people that hate on a game for being short when they only finished like 10% of it so much.


    And I hate it when developers think doing the same thing over and over counts as longevity.

    But, on your next point, I thought NSMB was plenty long.

    So, to be clear, we ARE talking about the PoP DS game that is $10 clearance everywhere? Is it worth getting?

    apotheos on


    猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Part of the problem of Battles of Prince of Persia seeming like shovelware of a game with PoP slapped onto it is due not only because of its generic title, but also because of its front cover, which looks like something a 10th grader made when learning photoshop for the first time to make some kind of supar-kewl Warrior Within fan art.





    However, a lot of people on these boards loved the game for its great gameplay, despite its title and cover art.

    slash000 on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So I'm clearly late to this party but I'm going to stick up for Canvas Curse as well. It was a fun and original game.

    Have to disagree Pheezer, if it's a tech demo it's a tech demo with a fun game and a shit load of features to enhance replay ability.

    DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    dmaurodmauro Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    pheezer FD wrote: »
    When I see a game like Canvas Curse ... I know it is going to be a shitty game that's been branded with a well known brand to trick people into buying it
    Wow that's pretty clairvoyant of you to know that one of the best games for the DS was going to be shit before you even played it just because it was a Kirby game that didn't play like one. I'm going to borrow your logic and apply that to every game that advances a franchise in new directions.

    dmauro on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    apotheos wrote: »
    Tingle wrote: »

    God, I hate people that hate on a game for being short when they only finished like 10% of it so much.


    And I hate it when developers think doing the same thing over and over counts as longevity.

    But, on your next point, I thought NSMB was plenty long.

    So, to be clear, we ARE talking about the PoP DS game that is $10 clearance everywhere? Is it worth getting?

    Yes it is absolutely worth getting. It's worth full price. Now that it's turning into a clearance title it's a steal.


    I think slash000 also makes a good point though, the box art plays into the whole shovelware appearance quite a bit too.


    Anyhow, the game isn't 100% perfect. There are a few things I'd have liked, like maybe unit experience and levels. But the card collecting/deck building aspect really does do a good job of making up for some of the things it lacks that a Fire Emblem game would likely have, and while the battlefield graphics could honestly be a hell of a lot more interesting, they convey the data they need to nicely and they're not offensively bad. The touch interface is pretty well done, too. I'd still give it a solid 90% if you know you'll have the opportunity to play the multiplayer mode, or an 85% otherwise.

    Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    dmauro wrote: »
    pheezer FD wrote: »
    When I see a game like Canvas Curse ... I know it is going to be a shitty game that's been branded with a well known brand to trick people into buying it
    Wow that's pretty clairvoyant of you to know that one of the best games for the DS was going to be shit before you even played it just because it was a Kirby game that didn't play like one. I'm going to borrow your logic and apply that to every game that advances a franchise in new directions.

    Oh fuck off. One of the best games my ass. I even gave it another shot for you bastards last night, and it's still meh. I'm not upset that I purchased it, but I'm glad I didn't spend over $20 on it.

    Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    pheezer FD wrote: »
    dmauro wrote: »
    pheezer FD wrote: »
    When I see a game like Canvas Curse ... I know it is going to be a shitty game that's been branded with a well known brand to trick people into buying it
    Wow that's pretty clairvoyant of you to know that one of the best games for the DS was going to be shit before you even played it just because it was a Kirby game that didn't play like one. I'm going to borrow your logic and apply that to every game that advances a franchise in new directions.

    Oh fuck off. One of the best games my ass. I even gave it another shot for you bastards last night, and it's still meh. I'm not upset that I purchased it, but I'm glad I didn't spend over $20 on it.

    There hasn't been a single thing you've said in this thread I agree with besides that Battle of PoP is a good game.

    Also ElJeffe.

    Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Mentis wrote: »
    I always thought it was canvas course...
    "Wait a minute, Bart's teacher's name is Krabappel? I've been calling her Crandle! Awww, I've been making an idiot out of myself."

    bruin on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    Mentis wrote: »
    I always thought it was canvas course...
    "Wait a minute, Bart's teacher's name is Krabappel? I've been calling her Crandle! Awww, I've been making an idiot out of myself."

    My favorite one of these is "What!? I thought it was Wind Walker!"

    jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TingleTingle __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Btw why weren't you crying over this when Final Fantasy Tactics was released, or Tetris Attack, or Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, or Pokemon Pinball, or Super Mario Kart, or Metal Gear Acid, and so on and so on and so on.

    Those are all great games that have relatively little to do with the original game just like Bo PoP that do basically the same thing title-wise, so why weren't you complaining then?

    Tingle on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Tingle wrote: »
    Btw why weren't you crying over this when Final Fantasy Tactics was released, or Tetris Attack, or Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, or Pokemon Pinball, or Super Mario Kart, or Metal Gear Acid, and so on and so on and so on.

    Those are all great games that have relatively little to do with the original game just like Bo PoP that do basically the same thing title-wise, so why weren't you complaining then?

    Probably because those titles still sound good. Battles of... just sounds retarded.

    Renzo on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Tingle wrote: »
    Btw why weren't you crying over this when Final Fantasy Tactics was released, or Tetris Attack, or Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, or Pokemon Pinball, or Super Mario Kart, or Metal Gear Acid, and so on and so on and so on.

    Those are all great games that have relatively little to do with the original game just like Bo PoP that do basically the same thing title-wise, so why weren't you complaining then?


    I don't necessarily agree with Pheezer, but imagine those games you listed were actually named:


    Battles of Final Fantasy
    Tetris Mania!
    Final Fantasy: Stories of the Crystals
    Pinball! Starring Pikachu!
    Super Mario Racing
    Acid! Metal Gear Card Battles

    slash000 on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    If I knew about Pokemon Pinball, I'd say the same thing about it in this instance. Also, Pokemon Dungeon could have easily not been a Pokemon title and could have been a lot more accessible to a lot of people who would enjoy a nethack title but roll their eyes at the Pokemon branding.

    I don't know anything about Tetris Attack, but from the screens I see online, it's still a Tetris game, so I don't know how it's relevant here. Final Fantasy Tactics keeps about as much in common with every other Final Fantasy title as most Final Fantasy games do anyhow, save for the battle system, which is still deeply rooted in the RPG genre, so I don't get the complaint there. I haven't play Crystal Chronicles so I don't know about it either. I will however point out that Dirge of Cerberus, Mystic Quest and Final Fantasy Legend were all crap, and while I'm not sure about all those Chocobo branded games, I wouldn't pay more than $5 to find out.

    Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    slash000 wrote: »
    Tingle wrote: »
    Btw why weren't you crying over this when Final Fantasy Tactics was released, or Tetris Attack, or Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, or Pokemon Pinball, or Super Mario Kart, or Metal Gear Acid, and so on and so on and so on.

    Those are all great games that have relatively little to do with the original game just like Bo PoP that do basically the same thing title-wise, so why weren't you complaining then?


    I don't necessarily agree with Pheezer, but imagine those games you listed were actually named:


    Battles of Final Fantasy
    Tetris Mania!
    Final Fantasy: Stories of the Crystals
    Pinball! Starring Pikachu!
    Super Mario Racing
    Acid! Metal Gear Card Battles

    Also a great point. I'll just sit back and let you carry the argument from here on out okay y/n?

    Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    TingleTingle __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    pheezer FD wrote: »
    If I knew about Pokemon Pinball, I'd say the same thing about it in this instance. Also, Pokemon Dungeon could have easily not been a Pokemon title and could have been a lot more accessible to a lot of people who would enjoy a nethack title but roll their eyes at the Pokemon branding.

    I don't know anything about Tetris Attack, but from the screens I see online, it's still a Tetris game, so I don't know how it's relevant here. Final Fantasy Tactics keeps about as much in common with every other Final Fantasy title as most Final Fantasy games do anyhow, save for the battle system, which is still deeply rooted in the RPG genre, so I don't get the complaint there. I haven't play Crystal Chronicles so I don't know about it either. I will however point out that Dirge of Cerberus, Mystic Quest and Final Fantasy Legend were all crap, and while I'm not sure about all those Chocobo branded games, I wouldn't pay more than $5 to find out.
    Tetris Attack has jack shit to do with the original tetris, it was just slapped on because it was a big recognizable name at the time. Just like PoP is now.

    How about Wario Ware then. That has probably the least to do with the original game (pure platforming) of all.

    Tingle on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Wario Ware is a title I have absolutely no interest in, so they're pretty much free to call it whatever they like and I won't care, but... it's a bundle of mini games, it has to be called something, and they're not going to be able to create a brand based on it, so I kind of don't blame them in that case. It's not like it could possibly tell a rich enough story to have its own cast of original characters and be the basis for a future franchise based on them.

    Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
Sign In or Register to comment.