Options

Why the hell does it have to be called Battles of Prince of Persia?

13»

Posts

  • Options
    IllyriaIllyria __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Well, apart from Wario himself WW actually has an exentensive cast of original characters, some of which have become fan-favorites, like Ashley and such.

    Much like Diddy Kong Racing in that respect, two which original characters even got their own game (Conker and Banjo). And kart/hooverboat/airplane racing probably has even less to do with platforming like DKC was as TBS has to do with the original PoP gameplay.

    Illyria on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] alley.jpg
  • Options
    AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Tingle wrote: »
    Agentflit wrote: »
    I liked canvas curse but way too short.
    What the hell are you talking about? I bet you only rushed through the game once with Kirby and called it a day? Not even getting any medals or playing through it with the other 4 (!) awesome characters?

    God, I hate people that hate on a game for being short when they only finished like 10% of it so much.

    :|

    I love canvas curse and come back to it often. It still feels too short.

    My beef is that too many of the levels are designed for speedrun buffs at the expense of variety in level structure. I have played a lot of the game, to be certain, but it still feels a little underwhelming.

    Agentflit on
  • Options
    MikestaMikesta Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Canvas Curse is still my favorite DS game. Like most, if not all, of the best games ever made, it's easy as fuck to get into, but there's an underlying depth that you can bite into if you want.
    Tech demo my ass. That Yoshi DS game was a god damn tech demo. Kirby was a fully fleshed-out realization of that gameplay model.

    Mikesta on
    untitled.jpg

    You mess with the dolphin, you get the nose.
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    So I snapped up BoPoP today. Hope I like it.

    But to answer the question in the OP, I think because Prince of Persia is such a marginal franchise, a spinoff needs to smack gamers in the face with its license. I'd imagine some clever developers said "this is the game we want to make" and the publisher said "ok, but we are going to tie it as close as possible to the PoP franchise in order to guarantee we make a buck off idiots who liked the Warrior Within and will buy anything with the same cover art."

    apotheos on


    猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    dmaurodmauro Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Agentflit wrote: »
    My beef is that too many of the levels are designed for speedrun buffs at the expense of variety in level structure.
    That's why I love it. The time trial mode is the game as far as I'm concerned.

    dmauro on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I can see how someone could possibly dislike Canvas Curse.

    But I really need to hear some sort of justification for disliking Sonic Spinball. I don't give a fuck if it's called Sonic Spinball, Shit In A Can, or Kasumi Dribbles Vagina Fluid On Your Face If You Play This...it's a god damn fucking awesome game, no matter the title.

    Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    Kasumi Dribbles Vagina Fluid On Your Face If You Play This

    Probably would have sold more copies with a name like that.

    Renzo on
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    I can see how someone could possibly dislike Canvas Curse.

    But I really need to hear some sort of justification for disliking Sonic Spinball. I don't give a fuck if it's called Sonic Spinball, Shit In A Can, or Kasumi Dribbles Vagina Fluid On Your Face If You Play This...it's a god damn fucking awesome game, no matter the title.
    A quick visit to Mobygames tells me that the GameGear version is completely different from the Genesis version. All of the Sonic games I've played on the GG have been shit, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Sonic Spinball pheezer played actually did suck.

    Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    pheezer FD wrote: »
    If I knew about Pokemon Pinball, I'd say the same thing about it in this instance. Also, Pokemon Dungeon could have easily not been a Pokemon title and could have been a lot more accessible to a lot of people who would enjoy a nethack title but roll their eyes at the Pokemon branding.

    You could always play one of the other Mystery Dungeon games.

    Like the Chocobo ones.

    Or the Dragon Quest ones.

    Or...

    Ah why the heck are you complaining about spin-offs in the first place?

    Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    dmauro wrote: »
    Agentflit wrote: »
    My beef is that too many of the levels are designed for speedrun buffs at the expense of variety in level structure.
    That's why I love it. The time trial mode is the game as far as I'm concerned.

    I totally knew you would be the first to disagree as I was writing it. ;)

    On topic: slapping the "PoP" on a game is much like the apple "red delicious" -- ridiculous but unavoidable. Adjectives sell products, right?

    Agentflit on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Renzo wrote: »
    Tingle wrote: »
    Btw why weren't you crying over this when Final Fantasy Tactics was released, or Tetris Attack, or Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, or Pokemon Pinball, or Super Mario Kart, or Metal Gear Acid, and so on and so on and so on.

    Those are all great games that have relatively little to do with the original game just like Bo PoP that do basically the same thing title-wise, so why weren't you complaining then?

    Probably because those titles still sound good. Battles of... just sounds retarded.

    I'm gonna have to disagree with you about Metal Gear Acid.

    That was also a stupid as shit name.

    TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    CraveonCraveon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    apotheos wrote: »
    So I snapped up BoPoP today. Hope I like it.

    But to answer the question in the OP, I think because Prince of Persia is such a marginal franchise, a spinoff needs to smack gamers in the face with its license. I'd imagine some clever developers said "this is the game we want to make" and the publisher said "ok, but we are going to tie it as close as possible to the PoP franchise in order to guarantee we make a buck off idiots who liked the Warrior Within and will buy anything with the same cover art."

    Are you sure that PoP is such a marginal franchise? I mean, it spawned two sequels in just one gen that were pretty succesful I think, several handheld incarnations, and even a blockbuster movie is coming up. I think it's a pretty strong brand really.

    Craveon on
    elegyofemptiness.jpg
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Renzo wrote: »
    Tingle wrote: »
    Btw why weren't you crying over this when Final Fantasy Tactics was released, or Tetris Attack, or Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, or Pokemon Pinball, or Super Mario Kart, or Metal Gear Acid, and so on and so on and so on.

    Those are all great games that have relatively little to do with the original game just like Bo PoP that do basically the same thing title-wise, so why weren't you complaining then?

    Probably because those titles still sound good. Battles of... just sounds retarded.

    I'm gonna have to disagree with you about Metal Gear Acid.

    That was also a stupid as shit name.

    Sorry to burst your bubble, but that's not the name, TSR.

    The name is "Metal Gear Ac!d."

    The exclamation point makes all the difference.

    Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Craveon wrote: »
    apotheos wrote: »
    So I snapped up BoPoP today. Hope I like it.

    But to answer the question in the OP, I think because Prince of Persia is such a marginal franchise, a spinoff needs to smack gamers in the face with its license. I'd imagine some clever developers said "this is the game we want to make" and the publisher said "ok, but we are going to tie it as close as possible to the PoP franchise in order to guarantee we make a buck off idiots who liked the Warrior Within and will buy anything with the same cover art."

    Are you sure that PoP is such a marginal franchise? I mean, it spawned two sequels in just one gen that were pretty succesful I think, several handheld incarnations, and even a blockbuster movie is coming up. I think it's a pretty strong brand really.

    The original PoP (not Sands of Time) is one of the most famous side-scrollers in memory. *shrug*

    Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    Renzo wrote: »
    Tingle wrote: »
    Btw why weren't you crying over this when Final Fantasy Tactics was released, or Tetris Attack, or Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, or Pokemon Pinball, or Super Mario Kart, or Metal Gear Acid, and so on and so on and so on.

    Those are all great games that have relatively little to do with the original game just like Bo PoP that do basically the same thing title-wise, so why weren't you complaining then?

    Probably because those titles still sound good. Battles of... just sounds retarded.

    I'm gonna have to disagree with you about Metal Gear Acid.

    That was also a stupid as shit name.

    Sorry to burst your bubble, but that's not the name, TSR.

    The name is "Metal Gear Ac!d."

    The exclamation point makes all the difference.

    Yeah Metal Gear Ac!!!!d...! does sound pretty retarded.

    !

    Renzo on
  • Options
    TingleTingle __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Renzo wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    Renzo wrote: »
    Tingle wrote: »
    Btw why weren't you crying over this when Final Fantasy Tactics was released, or Tetris Attack, or Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, or Pokemon Pinball, or Super Mario Kart, or Metal Gear Acid, and so on and so on and so on.

    Those are all great games that have relatively little to do with the original game just like Bo PoP that do basically the same thing title-wise, so why weren't you complaining then?

    Probably because those titles still sound good. Battles of... just sounds retarded.

    I'm gonna have to disagree with you about Metal Gear Acid.

    That was also a stupid as shit name.

    Sorry to burst your bubble, but that's not the name, TSR.

    The name is "Metal Gear Ac!d."

    The exclamation point makes all the difference.

    Yeah Metal Gear Ac!!!!d...! does sound pretty retarded.

    !

    It refers to the ! above the guards' heads when they spot j00

    Tingle on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yep. Yep it does.

    Renzo on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I thought for sure I had posted in here...I guess not. I have to say BoPoP is a phenominal game. The presentation admittedly lacks polish, which is why some sites (IGN) gave it such weak scores. The card based turn system is really well done, the "splash" damage to surrounding units when missile weapons are used is great, double damage inflicted to units that have no room to retreat is nicely done, and the overall persian theme is very nice (and different from something like AWDS).

    It's easily one of my top 5 for the console, and that's saying alot given the great library the DS has.

    Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Renzo wrote: »
    Yep. Yep it does.

    That doesn't make it any less stupid. It is a very stupid name.

    Now, BoPoP, I'm really enjoying it. Speaks to my board game loving roots. Control is a bit iffy until you get used to toggling R and D-Up like a crazy fiend to figure out whats going on. I've had some special cards come up I seem to never ever be able to use for their special effect, which is frustrating. (And its not double damage for no retreat, its 1.5 damage). I also resent being unable to chose not to follow a unit I push back. Lastly, it would have been a zillion times better with hexes. And turning off battle animations is ESSENTIAL to not going insanely bored.

    As long as the campaign difficulty increases it will definitely be a great game.

    If you like this, look into a board game called Battlelore. It is substantially the same sort of game.

    apotheos on


    猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    malerikmalerik Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Lork wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    I can see how someone could possibly dislike Canvas Curse.

    But I really need to hear some sort of justification for disliking Sonic Spinball. I don't give a fuck if it's called Sonic Spinball, Shit In A Can, or Kasumi Dribbles Vagina Fluid On Your Face If You Play This...it's a god damn fucking awesome game, no matter the title.
    A quick visit to Mobygames tells me that the GameGear version is completely different from the Genesis version. All of the Sonic games I've played on the GG have been shit, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Sonic Spinball pheezer played actually did suck.

    whoa there nelly! what? all the sonic games on the gg... shit? sonic 1 is a great title, based on but totally different to the mega drive version. great gameplay, great soundtrack, amazing fun! Sonic 2 is less good admittedly, but still a unique and fun sonic title. When you get to the realms of triple trouble and chaos the quality starts dropping, as they were designed for a younger audience i think, and the drift games were pretty awful, but the original two were great games!

    malerik on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    remember when Sonic the Hedgehog was released on the GBA, and titled "Sonic Genesis", and all these reviewers commented on how poor of a port it was from the GameGear sonic game?

    Fucking idiot reviews. How could you make that mistake?

    slash000 on
Sign In or Register to comment.