Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Rise of the Logical Phallacies: [Phalla] - Mafia victory!

spool32spool32 Contrary LibraryRegistered User regular
edited July 2012 in Critical Failures
Rise of the Logical Phallacies
A Mini-Phalla Where Logic is the Enemy



Scenario
The battle of logic and reason vs. confusion and chaos has raged in Debate & Discourse since time out of mind. Now, though, a new shadow has fallen over the forum. The forces of nonsense have gathered, and using their combined powers, transformed themselves into living beings! Unwilling to yield in the face of this new horror, a small force of Good Arguments has thrown itself through the rip in the fabric of logic, subjecting itself to personhood in the hope it can debunk the Bad Arguments and stem the tide of ignorance once and for all.


Game Overview
This is a fairly standard Village v Mafia with a small Neutral faction. This is a Phalla game, Penny Arcade Forum's version of the party game Mafia. If this is your first game, it will be informative to visit the linked topic for some background information.
In this game, the majority of players take the role of Bad Arguments, trying to drive the Good Arguments from the forum forever. Several Ambiguous Arguments are also present, with their own goals.


Special Mechanics and Game Design
I've tried to come up with a couple of new mechanics I haven't seen or read about for this, my first attempt at running a Phalla. I would love feedback both during and after the game!
Approximately half the players will have some special role. In certain cases, a player's role may change. Please make every effort to play along and feel free to ham it up!
Resolution order will be: Specials-->Mafia-->Vigilante-->Vote


Voting
Good Arguments are infiltrating your newly formed Illogical Village, trying to destroy it from the inside. Vote for the player who you find most logical in bold red. You may retract a vote by posting "!retract <player name>" or similar phrase in bold limegreen or change your vote by making another one in bold red. Do not, under any circumstance, edit a post that has a vote. If an edit is necessary, make a new post instead. The player who receives the most votes will be buried under an avalanche of headache-inducing, facepalmingly bad conclusions, and removed from the game. Should there be a tie in the vote, then all players involved in the tie will be eliminated. If the vote winner is eliminated before the vote is resolved, there will be no "trickle down".

Voting will close each day at 11PM EDT (10PM CDT | 8PM PDT | 0300 GMT) SHARP; any votes before the hour (x:59) will count, any votes on the hour and later (x:00) will not.


Orders
Specials will often have orders to submit, and they may be submitted as late as 10min before vote close. All orders must be submitted through private PM to the host, (preferably using the same conversation you get your role in). Good Arguments (mafia) should elect a spokesman who will relay all their activity to me. If the spokesman dies, they will need to chose another.


Signing Up
Sign up with the phrase "I !sign up" or similar phrase in bold limegreen or other bright, easily visible color to ensure that your intent to play is acknowledged. Signups will be open until we reach the maximum amount of players (30).


Inactivity
It is expected that players make at least three posts, make a vote, and if possible submit private actions. A warning will be sent on the first day that this requirement is not met, and a replacement will be made on the second consecutive day of inactivity or third day overall. If there are no replacements available, then the player will be eliminated from the game. Inactivus hates arguments.


Clarifications
Any questions about the general game rules may be made by highlighting the question in bold goldenrod text. Answers will be posted in the thread and collected in the below section. Player-specific inquiries that are not addressed in the general rules may be asked via PM to the host.


Other Rules
Standard Phalla rules apply: no sharing of host-provided PMs via screenshots or direct quotation. However, information may be shared indirectly, such as through rephrasing. You may not add new players to preexisting private conversations after the first message - start a new conversation instead. No anonymous contact is allowed. All messages must be traceable to a player in the game. Once you are eliminated, you may not make any more game conversation with players remaining in the game.

All proboards must be linked to the host and all PM conversations must have the host included. NO CONVERSATION OF THE GAME IS ALLOWED OUTSIDE OF THIS FORUM OR LINKED PROBOARDS. No chat rooms. No facebook. NOTHING. No communication is allowed outside of PA forums and linked proboards.

Sample Villager PM
Bad Argument: You are a Bad Argument! Your goal is to drown out the good arguments, preserving the forum for terrible logic and wild unsubstantiated accusations.
Win conditions – Shout Down all the Good Arguments, paving the way for soaring rhetoric unburdened by logic and reason.



Initial Sign-ups
1 - Kilnaga
2 - TheRoadVirus
3 - Bedlam
4 - The Dagon - The Strawman: Scattered to the four winds by The Good Arguments
5 - kime
6 - Anialos
7 - SeGaTai - The True Scotsman: reign of terror ended by The Good Arguments
8 - Phyphor - Completeness: Couldn’t endure unfalsifiable theories proposed by the vote
9 - Greenbarons
10 - Premium
11 - Stever777
12 - Sheep: Sheared to bits by the vote
13 - Julius: - argued to death by the vote
14 - REG Rysk
15 - Cythraul - Appeal to the Majority: beaten by The Strawman
16 - Smoove Operator: Introduced to real-world testing by The Good Arguments
17 - warban - Appeal to Pity: got no sympathy from the Good Arguments
18 - SLyM Retaba
19 - The Anonymous - The Reduction to the Absurd: Rationalized by the Good Arguments. INDIVIDUAL LOSS!
20 - Figgy: Subjected to vigorous fact-finding mission by the vote
21 - Assuran
22 - LoserForHireX: Fatally counterprotested by the vote
23 - Cayrus: Used as an object lesson by The Good Arguments
24 - MrTLicious
25 - jdarksun - Consistency: Self esteem destroyed by the vote
26 - Mill: assigned double overtime by The Strawman
27 - Langly - The Red Herring: Permanently reasoned with by The Good Arguments
28 - AManFromEarth: Persecuted by the vote
29 - Honk
30 - Matev

Reserves:
1 -
2 -
3 -
4 -
5 -



Clarifications

Q: Are there thralls (mafia that seer as villager)? Millers (villager that seers as mafia)? Death thralls (mafia that shows up in dead list as villager)? Death Millers (try to guess...)?
A: Due to their individual win conditions, Neutrals will be given the option to seer as generic villagers, or as neutral. Otherwise seers return true village / mafia results, and will be also told if they've used their power on a special

Q: Conversions?
A: Of a very limited sort, yes. Very limited + very conditional.

Q: Will the vig be able to vig himself?
A: That's the spirit!

Q: Can we seer people who have already been voted out / killed?
A: No. I mean, sure, but they will all be converted to faction "Dead", special powers "no longer playing". However, if this goes well and I make a main game, Beating a Dead Horse will totally be one of the specials and it will have a more useful version of this ability.


Day 0: Start of the Beginning of the End of the Start
Day 1: Unknown Unknowns
Day 2: Bewitched
Day 3 - The Looking Glass
Day 4 - The Devil's Brew
Day 5 - Just Look At It
Day 6 - Welcome to Current TV!
Day 7 - Let's Play Questions!
Day 7 - Victory!

spool32 on
«13456729

Posts

  • KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    Ohh, ohhh, ohhhhh, sign me up!

    † We don't have to be mean. 'Cause, remember: no matter where you go... there you are.†
    DS Friend Code: 2680-9293-7063
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    ZOMBIE IN!
    I2P1z.jpg

    Help a trans woman (me) afford GRS!
    Hi Santa/Satan!
    Video games -> PSN and Twitch: The_Road_Virus Steam: TheRoadVirus
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    confusion and chaos you say?

    Why yes. That would be a fitting thing for someone named Bedlam.

  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    confusion and chaos you say?

    Why yes. That would be a fitting thing for someone named Bedlam.

    Which is why the natural order of the universe dictates that you will be MAFIA

    Help a trans woman (me) afford GRS!
    Hi Santa/Satan!
    Video games -> PSN and Twitch: The_Road_Virus Steam: TheRoadVirus
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    If the vote target dies before the vote, does the runner-up get killed by it instead?



    steam_sig.png
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    If the vote target dies before the vote, does the runner-up get killed by it instead?

    That's covered in the Voting section. There will be no trickle-down in this game.

  • The DagonThe Dagon Registered User regular
    I need more Phalla in my life.

    Steam ID : TheDagon
    PSN : TheDagon
    Pretty much every game ever : TheDagon
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Also hi @Bedlam, how's tricks?

    Help a trans woman (me) afford GRS!
    Hi Santa/Satan!
    Video games -> PSN and Twitch: The_Road_Virus Steam: TheRoadVirus
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    confusion and chaos you say?

    Why yes. That would be a fitting thing for someone named Bedlam.

    Which is why the natural order of the universe dictates that you will be MAFIA
    Zapp Branigan is the worst futurama charecter :<
    Also hi @Bedlam, how's tricks?
    Silly The Road Virus! Trix are for kids!



  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    I would say Hermes is worse but I just saw a Hermes centric episode yesterday and it had a bitching musical number at the end.

    Maybe Kiff is worse?

  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Sign up!

    spoit, post about it here

    PA HotS Group
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    For those who might be wondering, I've spoken with Obifett (thanks for the help!) and he's given me the high-sign to run another mini while his is still a few days from the end. No main seems to be signing up or running, so I think we're good to go.

    Also thank you Munkus and SaberObverEasy for helping me work out the mechanical kinks. This game would've been pretty dumb otherwise!
    it might still be dumb, but if so it's not their fault.
    yes it is I claim no responsibility
    no it isn't
    yes it is
    look I came here for a good argument...

    spool32 on
  • AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    No, you're wrong!

    "there's sin enough without treating love like a sin"
  • SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    !Signup

    Will Kime protect me from logic...doubtful

    PSN SeGaTai
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Bedlam wrote: »
    confusion and chaos you say?

    Why yes. That would be a fitting thing for someone named Bedlam.

    Which is why the natural order of the universe dictates that you will be MAFIA
    Zapp Branigan is the worst futurama charecter :<

    I find him to be irritating for the most part. It was fun to randomly RP as a gigantic space-douche though. I need to think of someone else to RP as for this one!

    Help a trans woman (me) afford GRS!
    Hi Santa/Satan!
    Video games -> PSN and Twitch: The_Road_Virus Steam: TheRoadVirus
  • AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    RP as Kime, it would be fitting.

    "there's sin enough without treating love like a sin"
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Since I have the most logic?

    PA HotS Group
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • CayrusCayrus Registered User regular
    kime logic = wall of text

    Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

    Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre in Where No Man Has Gone Before

    Lord Augustus Cumberbatch in Eclipse Phase
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I will be emiK, and have a picture of toph with a mustache and goatee for my avatar.
    My one goal will be to kill you and take your place in the good timeline!

    Erin The Red on
    Help a trans woman (me) afford GRS!
    Hi Santa/Satan!
    Video games -> PSN and Twitch: The_Road_Virus Steam: TheRoadVirus
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Bedlam wrote: »
    confusion and chaos you say?

    Why yes. That would be a fitting thing for someone named Bedlam.

    Which is why the natural order of the universe dictates that you will be MAFIA
    Zapp Branigan is the worst futurama charecter :<

    I find him to be irritating for the most part. It was fun to randomly RP as a gigantic space-douche though. I need to think of someone else to RP as for this one!

    Here, this might help!

  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Oh, and speaking of Toph, @kime have you heard the speculation that toph's daughter is the child of her and The Boulder?

    I don't know if it's true, but I want it to be.

  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Oh, and speaking of Toph, @kime have you heard the speculation that toph's daughter is the child of her and The Boulder?

    I don't know if it's true, but I want it to be.

    I do think it would be quite hilarious. I doubt it, though. Wasn't there a large age difference there? Let alone size.

    And skill, and intelligence.

    Cayrus wrote: »
    kime logic = wall of text
    If it works!
    I will be emiK, and have a picture of toph with a mustache and goatee for my avatar.
    My one goal will be to kill you and take your place in the good timeline!

    I have one of those for my L avatar, actually.

    PA HotS Group
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Bad arguments? I can do that

    Magic Box
    Academician Prokhor "Phyphor" Zakharov, Chief Scientist of China, Provost of the University of Planet - SE++ Megagame
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I HAVE AWOKEN

    Help a trans woman (me) afford GRS!
    Hi Santa/Satan!
    Video games -> PSN and Twitch: The_Road_Virus Steam: TheRoadVirus
  • GreenbaronsGreenbarons Registered User regular
    I've been waiting all day hoping a new game would start sign up!

  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Nah, don't want to step on kime's toes. I'll just be a general ball of nonsense

    Help a trans woman (me) afford GRS!
    Hi Santa/Satan!
    Video games -> PSN and Twitch: The_Road_Virus Steam: TheRoadVirus
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Sign up!

    spoit, post about it here
    Post about what?

    Also, spool, do you have a spreadsheet set up?

    steam_sig.png
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    kime wrote: »
    Sign up!

    spoit, post about it here
    Post about what?

    Also, spool, do you have a spreadsheet set up?

    Not yet...

  • premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Sign me the heck up!

  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »
    kime wrote: »
    Sign up!

    spoit, post about it here
    Post about what?

    Also, spool, do you have a spreadsheet set up?

    Not yet...

    I can help you with that if you want. I can't sign up because I'm going to be busy with comic con this weekend

    steam_sig.png
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    kime wrote: »
    Sign up!

    spoit, post about it here
    Post about what?

    Also, spool, do you have a spreadsheet set up?

    spool, spoit

    They are close enough!

    Don't you question my logic in the faulty logic phalla, mafia!

    PA HotS Group
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »
    kime wrote: »
    Sign up!

    spoit, post about it here
    Post about what?

    Also, spool, do you have a spreadsheet set up?

    Not yet...

    I can help you with that if you want. I can't sign up because I'm going to be busy with comic con this weekend

    Much appreciated, thanks!

  • premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Just in case anyone would like to accuse me of mafia pregame, I would like to point you to my post history, where I have made exactly zero good arguments ever.

  • stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    !Signup

    Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

    The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Oh, I didn't have a chance to finish reviewing the mechanics

    Twitch Channel
    Steam: munkus_beaver
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    http://www.ccfa.org/
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2012
    !Signup

    Sheep on
    QlBGc.jpg
  • JuliusJulius Registered User regular
    !sign up

    Bedlam wrote: »
    Bedlam wrote: »
    confusion and chaos you say?

    Why yes. That would be a fitting thing for someone named Bedlam.

    Which is why the natural order of the universe dictates that you will be MAFIA
    Zapp Branigan is the worst futurama charecter :<

    I find him to be irritating for the most part. It was fun to randomly RP as a gigantic space-douche though. I need to think of someone else to RP as for this one!

    RP as Wittgenstein!

    wait, i might do that myself.

  • JuliusJulius Registered User regular
    though i guess he would be mafia then.

  • REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington Registered User regular
    This sounds terrifying

    Let's do this.

  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I would love to do this one, but I'm about to go on a conference on Sunday and also need to get roles written for an upcomming project dun dun dunnnnn

Sign In or Register to comment.