As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] Breath of Fire 3 - How to condense a JRPG!

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    Ugh this thread is making me want to fire up my own copy now.

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I fluked through the desert somehow. I remember following the star and I came to the conclusion that the direction must be wrong. I had been wandering for a half an hour and it just didn't seem right.

After awhile you can kind of see what looks like a city in the distance. I wasn't sure if it was a illusion or not, but the directions weren't working so I just went for it. Luckily for me my instinct was right.

But yeah, that desert was becoming toe curling frustration up until the point I decided to give up on the directions. I remember being at my cousin's house at the time and he was watching. I distinctly remember him getting pissed at me for making him watch something so dreadfully boring. As soon as I reached the destination I was forced to save and turn it off. Thankfully he let me finish because starting over at that point would have been beyond lame.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I actually don't like Rei at all. His only trait is high agility and that's something you can have a much more powerful party with if you just train them to have it themselves.

If by 'His only trait' completely ignores
    weretiger
    and its ability to hit damage cap second only to Peco or celerity/super combo abuse, then yes, all he has is agility.

Elsewise he has murder on his side.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I actually don't like Rei at all. His only trait is high agility and that's something you can have a much more powerful party with if you just train them to have it themselves.

If by 'His only trait' completely ignores
    weretiger
    and its ability to hit damage cap second only to Peco or celerity/super combo abuse, then yes, all he has is agility.

Elsewise he has murder on his side.

Yeah but I hate using that because of
    the berserker problem associated with it. I like being in control.

I was trying to get the next update in this morning but I forgot to mention in the OP I'm currently forced to being left handed due to injury and it actually aches doing so much clicking around on the computer. I'm trying though. :(

I actually have the next THREE updates 'recorded' (screenshotted, raw material). So I'm making way more progress than is evident.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Well, that's why you use command. Both him andu ncontrolled kaiser follow command. Best skill in the game!

Followed by shadowwalk for Momo to fix her terrible hitting things problem.

Oh man I still have my 80 hour all items, all skills maxed save. I love breath of fire games. Maybe I should do a lp of one of the others.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Episode 3 - The Tutorial Episode
    embed.png (Cedar Woods)
    bof30301.jpg
    rei.pngThis inconspicuous path to the mountain should make for excellent training ground for Roo.

bof30302.jpg
    rei.pngOkay, listen up. This is a mantrap. These things are always sleeping unless you poke them.
    teepo.pngPretty tough too. I've always had a little bit of trouble with them.

bof30303.jpg
    rei.pngWe should play to our strengths for now.

bof30304.jpg
    bof30305.jpg
    teepo.pngJust watch and learn Roo!
    ryu.pngemotenervous.png

bof30306.jpg
    bof30307.jpg
    teepo.pngNothing to it!

bof30308.jpg
    reitips.pngRei's Country Livin' Tips!
    So, it's like this kids. What we have here is a set of stances you can take as a team. Each stance gives its own advantages and disadvantages. If you don't feel like messing with anything, 'normal' should suit you alright. Everyone has just as much chance to get hit as the other, with no special bonuses. If you feel like playing it safe, go for the 'defense' formation. It'll keep everyone safe, but you'll act a little slower in return. If you're feeling aggressive, 'attack' would be more your thing. The person taking point gets a big boost to their damage, but they'll get targeted a lot more than the other two.

bof30309.jpg
    People pull their own weight in different ways. They can be powerful, take hard hits well, use magic better than others, or act real fast when in a fight (my personal favorite). A good agility not only gives you better odds at acting first, but if you're fast enough you'll even get an extra turn!

bof30310.jpg
    bof30311.jpg
    teepo.pngHey Rei. Why do you think this sign is here?
    rei.pngBeats me. We probably shouldn't mess around with much.
    teepo.pngYou mean like that boulder being held up by a tiny rock? That looks good for kicking.
    rei.pngYeah, uh, Teepo? I don't think-

bof30312.jpg
    bof30313.jpg
    teepo.pngWell... nobody really comes up this way so they won't know it was us, right?
    rei.pngIf by 'us' you mean you...
    ryu.pngemoteteardrop.png

bof30314.jpg
    Weather Vanes are an item that does elemental damage in combat. Wind or lightning, I forget which.

bof30315.jpg
    rei.pngWe call these 'Gongheads.' Not sure why. They're a little dumb and aggressive.
    teepo.pngNot a big problem. But sometimes they can grow huge and hit everyone at once.

bof30316.jpg
    bof30317.jpg
    teepo.pngHey, maybe someone put up that sign so we wouldn't find this stuff.

bof30318.jpg
    teepokick.pngNothing here!
    ryu.pngemoteteardrop.png

bof30319.jpg
    rei.pngYou're just going to kick everything around, aren't you?
    teepo.pngThe sign said not to, so how can I not?

bof30320.jpg
    bof30321.jpg
    Here we see Roo learning an ability form an enemy using the "examine" command. At Teepo's expense. Burn isn't the most powerful of spells but it will come in handy a LOT.

bof30322.jpg
    bof30323.jpg
    bof30324.jpg
    A glimpse of what it looks like when characters level up. Stat gains are fixed at each level. Every time you play this game, the results of level 4 will be the same for Roo, Teepo, and everyone else. There is a way to change that, but we'll get to that later!
    teepo.pngI think Roo has the hang of things, Rei.
    rei.pngYeah... Let's camp for the night and run through the town one more time before getting to old man Bunyan's.

bof30325.jpg
    teepo.png You can rest and heal HP, or make a record of your journey... If you want to know more, take a look at the book in the tent.

bof30326.jpg
    rei.png When you're on the road and there's no inn around or when you're poor, you can always camp out, right?

We rest for the night. Come morning...

embed.png (Country Living)
    bof30327.jpg
    ryu.png(The house didn't have anything in it anyway...)

bof30328.jpg
    womaninred.png There's nothing left here!
    Meanwhile those two houses have a healing herb and antidote inside them.

bof30329.jpg
    ryu.png(I thought this was a farm town?)
    lazyman.png Even though I'm sitting here goofing off like this... I don't go around stealing things like you.
    ryu.png(Nobody is stopping me!)

bof30330.jpg
    As you can see, a lot of nooks and crannies have goodies. Move that camera around.

bof30331.jpg
    mcneilweapon.png Nothing for little thieves like you, so get on! Shoo!

bof30332.jpg
    ... I guess he's not that bothered by us.
    All armor and weapons have weight. The more something weighs, it usually slows you down a lot more. While you can try to balance things out to have a mix of good armor or being light on your feet, it really only does any good to pick one or the other. Just remember that not every enemy is going to try to hit you, since defense does nothing against magic...

bof30333.jpg
    bof30334.jpg
    teepo.pngHa! We showed her!

• Options
    I have to apologize for the pace of this so far; the intro portion of the game is rather contained but is REALLY content heavy. I'm failing at the "condensing" idea but it'll pick up.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Rampant thievery!
    Is it nailed down? Then steal the nails too!
    Amusingly, I am in the middle of a Thief 2 playthrough.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Rampant thievery!
    Is it nailed down? Then steal the nails too!
    Amusingly, I am in the middle of a thief 2 playthrough.

It's my favorite part about this game; right away at the start, you and your friends are acknowledged as thieves. As all JRPG heroes should be.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I heartily approve of Roo's educational curriculum. He has found firm and upstanding members of the citizenry from whom he shall learn the most sterling of examples.
    They all get the Morninglord Seal of Approval. Or they would, but I stole it and hocked it for rent money.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I've always wondered if
    coins are finite.

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Dang, this has got me all nostalgia'd, but I don't have BoF3. I am having a very difficult decision of whether to purchase and play BoF4 or my old copy of Chrono Cross.

As always, the threat of lots of random encounters with no ability to cut them down in BoF4 is making me antsy.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    nefyavenefyave Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    nefyave wrote: »
    harvest wrote: »
    So did or did not this game get a Euro PSP release? And if I make a Euro PSN account can I buy it and have it work on my US PSP?

Yes, but no PSN release.

Actually, it is available on the euro PSN for 10 euros.

Wow, I guess you're right.

Wait, what? Why only Euro PSN??? WHAT THE FUCK SONY?!

Well, it's a PSP release not the PS1 Classic release. And the PSP version was never released in NA.

Sony and the other publishers need to step up their game and get all the psp releases available in europe and america to be the same. Just a complete list of all of them, none of this weird region bullshit.

Anyway, i bought this game for my vita again and i will be playing along after i finish MGS3 :P

bannerpa.jpg
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    I am liking it a lot so far, Henroid. Keep it up!

• Options
    Episode 4 - The Most Important Episode Ever
    embed.png (Take It and Run)
    bof30401.jpg
    bof30402.jpg
    teepo.png Keep your eyes open, Roo... Someone might hear us if we make too much noise...
    rei.png OK, let's split up and check the place out...quietly!

bof30403.jpg
    ryu.png(Watch out!)

bof30404.jpg
    teepo.png Just relax! Calm down, Roo!
    ryu.png(Curse my muteness.)

bof30405.jpg
    bof30406.jpg
    rei.png Find something?
    teepo.png Hey! There's food here! All right!! C'mon! Let's get outta here!

bof30407.jpg
    rei.png Uh-oh... Old man Bunyan's come home... gulp! ...We might be in trouble...
    teepo.pngWhat do we do, Rei?
    rei.png I'll go check it out. If something happens, I'll distract him, and you guys get away...OK?

*CRASH BANG BOOM*

bof30408.jpg
    teepo.png There's no way Rei would get...
    rei.png *WAHEEEEEEE*
    ryu.pngemoteteardrop.png
    teepo.png ... ...Um, I guess I'd better go and see what's happening.
    ryu.pngemoteteardrop.pngemoteteardrop.png
    teepo.png Don't worry... We can get out of here, right?

*CRASH BANG BOOM*

bof30409.jpg
    ryu.png(Where'd everybody go?)

bof30410.jpg
    ryu.pngemotesurprise.png

bof30411.jpg

Well that sucked.

embed.png (Cedar Woods)
    bof30412.jpg
    bunyan.png But I didn't think you had sunk this low! At a time like this, when everyone's suffering... Don't you know that if you don't work, you can't eat?
    teepo.png Shut up! We were working!
    bunyan.png You just don't get it, do you? Robbing people isn't honest work! I've half the mind to run you out of the woods...but... If you say you'll mend your ways... I could forgive and forget...
    rei.png What do you want us to do?
    bunyankneel.png Rei, you're a strong lad, aren't you? I've got a job for you...

bof30413.jpg
    bunyan.png The big mountain north of the forest...? You'll know it when you see it. I want you to go there... Understand?

bof30414.jpg
    bunyan.png Don't worry... I've got something else in mind for them...
    rei.png You're keeping them as hostages so I'll do what you want, right? All right...I'll do it I don't know what you're up to, but I'll go to Mt. Glaus... Teepo, you keep an eye on Roo...
    teepo.pngryu.pngemotesurprise.png
    teepo.png Hey! Old man! What're we supposed to do!?
    bunyan.png Work, Teepo. If you want to eat, you have to work... Understand? What I want you to do is chop firewood... It's really simple... Teepo sets the log and Roo cuts it... You know how to use your sword, don't you? It's the <Triangle> button. If you cut too fast, you'll hit Teepo... If you cut too slow, you'll miss the log...

bof30415.jpg
    bof30416.jpg
    In case you folks missed it, we're experiencing our first one-off mini-game!
    teepo.png Hey, no problem! We can do it in our sleep! C'mon, Roo! Let's get this over with!
    bunyan.png All right, then.........Begin!

embed.png (30)
    bof30417.jpg
    As easy as it is, it's kind of a pain in the ass to capture screens for. Not that it's exciting.
    bunyan.png Stop!

bof30418.jpg
    teepo.png There! We worked, didn't we? Now you won't complain if we steal, right?
    bunyan.png If you keep that up, one of these days you'll be sorry... Don't you see that?
    teepo.png Ha! Who cares? One day, real soon, we're gettin' out of here... I ain't afraid of nothing!
    ryu.pngemoteteardrop.png
    teepo.png C'mon, Roo... Let's go after Rei!
    bunyan.png What's the old saying...? 'Cat doesn't know the stove's hot 'till it gets burnt...'

bof30419.jpg
    Well, despite Bunyan's warnings, Roo and Teepo head to Mount Glaus.
    treasure.png Antidote, Heavy Caro, Cloth Shield, Vitamins, Bent Sword, Molotov, 200z, Ballock Knife, Talisman
    embed.png (Walking the Road)

bof30420.jpg
    Puff Goos don't really attack. And they defend. In return, their reprisal rate is high.

bof30421.jpg
    As for Currs, they can poison you, which at this stage can be troublesome.

bof30422.jpg
    teepo.pngToo steep to climb up here. Let's find another way around.

bof30423.jpg
    bof30424.jpg
    Heavy Caros are a type of fishing lure. More on that later.

bof30425.jpg
    Showing off heal's special effects. So shiny for a starting spell!

bof30426.jpg
    bof30427.jpg
    teepo.png Hey, it's getting dark...

bof30428.jpg
    teepo.png Maybe Rei's staying here too...

bof30429.jpg
    rei.png ...Teepo!? What are you doing here?
    teepo.png Heh! We took care of what old man Bunyan told us to do in no time and came after you!

bof30430.jpg
    rei.png ...You know what, Teepo... I think the reason Bunyan sent me here alone is...Well, because he was worried about you...
    teepo.png Wh... what do you mean 'worried about us'!? I mean, he said he was keeping us as hostages, right?
    rei.png You've heard the rumors, haven't you? That the monster that's been attacking the village is here, in the mountains... Bunyan meant for me to kill it.
    teepo.png Why does he want YOU to kill the monster? I mean, it's real big and strong, right?
    rei.png It is... But I'm stronger... If I were alone... But now that you're here... I won't be able to use...Oh, never mind... Boy, doesn't this just beat all...
    teepo.pngryu.pngemoteteardrop.png
    rei.png Well, no use worrying about that now... Let's get some rest-- It'd be dangerous to go out at night...

bof30431.jpg
    embed.png (Encounter)
    bof30432.jpg
    rei.png Oh, boy, here we go. I guess we have no choice...Let's go out there and get him.

bof30433.jpg
    nuecrouch.pngnueleap.png

bof30434.jpg
    Here we go!
    embed.png (Battle in the Coming Days)

bof30435.jpg
    bof30436.jpg
    At this point, Roo is a little on the weak side, and Teepo doesn't have any oomph either.

bof30437.jpg
    Oh right, the Nue can poison too.

bof30438.jpg
    This is part of why I like the Attack formation; you can more easily predict buff priority.

bof30439.jpg
    Oh, and then there's the increased damage thing. 35 is good! Seriously!

bof30440.jpg
    A little purify action here. Honestly this is the first time I've seen it in-battle.

bof30441.jpg
    Flare looks like it hurts.
    teepo.pngHe's running away!
    ryu.pngemotenervous.png

bof30442.jpg
    bof30443.jpg
    teepo.pngI have a feeling he went this way.

bof30444.jpg
    bof30445.jpg
    Naturally, this will make it easier to know which paths lead to treasures.
    embed.png (Heavy Echo)

bof30446.jpg
    TREASURE!

bof30447.jpg
    bof30448.jpg
    teepo.png I think I figured it out!
    ryu.pngrei.pngemotequestion.png
    teepo.png He must have jumped into the water to get away... Yeah... That's it.
    rei.png ...You're probably right... So, how do we go after him?
    teepo.png ... ... ...I dunno.
    ryu.png(Thanks for that Teepo.)

bof30449.jpg
    Zombies! Predictably slow and durable, and they start battle afflicted by 'confuse.' I know what you're thinking; why are you healing a zombie?

bof30450.jpg
    Because it counts as damage! It actually did 71, the numbers roll randomly before displaying the final calculation. Curse this medium I've chosen.

bof30451.jpg
    Our first trinket. And since Roo is the star of the show, he gets it. Screw Teepo and Rei.

bof30452.jpg
    ryu.pngrei.pngemotequestion.png
    teepo.png We dive in from here! And then we float down to that spot we saw before... Yeah... That's it.
    rei.png Hmmmm. What do you think, Roo? Is Teepo right?

bof30453.jpg
    I screwed up so bad here, because there's a reaction to each. Answering yes, which I did:
    rei.png OK, Roo. You go first.

Answer no, as I should have:
    teepo.png Geronimo!!

bof30454.jpg
    bof30455.jpg
    Didn't we just answer this?!

bof30456.jpg
    bof30457.jpg
    bof30458.jpg
    rei.png Uh-huh... But what would we have done if we kept on going?
    ryu.pngemoteteardrop.png
    rei.png I guess it worked out OK, so let's go!

bof30459.jpg
    Oh right, bats. They're of no threat at all. I almost forgot to display them for this whole thing as a result. To make it up to them, I'm showing you five at once.

bof30460.jpg
    embed.png (Ambushed)
    bof30461.jpg
    teepo.png This should be easy, right, Rei?
    rei.png I hope so...
    embed.png (Battle in the Coming Days)

bof30462.jpg
    Last battle, you can get a Life Shard. I missed it, but they're not substantial at all.

bof30463.jpg
    bof30464.jpg
    I won't bullshit you guys, this isn't necessarily complicated.

bof30465.jpg
    rei.pngI have a bad feeling about this.

bof30466.jpg
    Oh, right, this part hurts a lot.

bof30467.jpg
    Luckily he can only do it once! And see the above two beat-it-up images, then...

bof30468.jpg
    ryu.pngteepo.pngemotestar.png
    rei.png .........It's dead

bof30469.jpg
    bof30470.jpg
    That's a little freaky...

bof30471.jpg
    They're...they're cubs. But it looks like they've been dead for a long time... That Nue must not have realized they were dead and kept on bringing food back for them...
    embed.png (Cadaver)
    ryu.pngteepo.pngrei.pngemoteteardrop.png
    teepo.png Boy, it wasn't too bright, was it? I mean, its cubs were already dead...
    rei.png Boy, if this doesn't beat all... Sheesh...

bof30472.jpg
    bof30473.jpg
    To break the mood, I left another prompt in the screenshots. Stop crying. I'm talking to YOU.

bof30474.jpg
    bof30475.jpg
    bunyan.png for a change, mmm? When spring comes... The animals will return, and life will get a little easier... You all did a good job...congratulations!

bof30476.jpg
    rei.png You knew the Nue was only hunting for food for her cubs... And you still had us kill her!?
    bunyan.png If you had known she had cubs.... would you have let her live...?
    rei.pngemotestar.png

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Episode 4 - Part 2: Fuck Character Count Limits and Here's the Ending to That Incident
    bof30477.jpg
    bof30478.jpg
    bof30479.jpg
    embed.png (Eden)

bof30480.jpg
    bof30481.jpg

Henroid on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Just when I thought you gave up. Time to read!

Nice job dude, big ups on the music links again. I still get a little teary eyed at the end of that scene.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    It's great being able to listen to the OST while reading along. Also, this:

Sounds a lot like this:

• Options
    No episode will be the length of episode 4 by the way. Aside from risk of running into the character-count limit on posts again, it's 5MB in a single shot. Plus it took me like 12 hours of working on and off getting past my wrist sores to make it happen. But there it is!

• Options
    So, Morninglord, sounds like Rei likes his Autonomy, doesn't it?

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Apparently he doesn't have Bloodlust though. He was waiting for morning.

Also.
    "Earned them a place in the villagers hearts."

Sweet! They trust you now Roo!

Steal everything!

Bunyan is cold. I bet he snuck in and slaughtered them cubbies with nary a twitch in his heart.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Series spoiler.
    Well, he does have a violent past.

PLA on
  • Options
    Par for the course.

• Options
    Really it was a matter of "you meddling kids."

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    I totally chopped logs for bunyan last night, I got 23, suck on that Henroid!

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    That game is rigged, because sometimes Teepo takes forever to set up a log!

By the way, if you fail the mini-game, Bunyan says, "I don't think you've learned your lesson yet. Again!" What a dick.

• Options
    I was going to edit my post with an actual question too. I thought I read you can turn the camera in BoF3, I've never done this in the game... how do you do it?

• Options
    Shoulder buttons. I forget if it's R1 or R2, I do it instinctively at this point. Only doable when you can move around. And once you press and hold the button, anything moving on screen acts as if the game were paused.

• Options
    weird, I tried doing it last night on my PS3 and didn't have any luck, although I didn't hold it down

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I think it's holding one of the shoulder buttons and using left/right on the dpad, isn't it? You can only rotate it a few degrees in either direction and it snaps back to default when you let go. So it's only really useful for seeing items hidden around corners.

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    I thought you had to hit select first to use the "scout ahead" view, and then you could temporarily rotate the camera by holding one of the shoulder buttons. It's definite that it will snap back to the default angle upon release, however.

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    IceBurner wrote: »
    I thought you had to hit select first to use the "scout ahead" view, and then you could temporarily rotate the camera by holding one of the shoulder buttons. It's definite that it will snap back to the default angle upon release, however.

Oh fuck, I forgot about that! I've been running around like a douchebag exploring things in full when I can cheat with that.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular

Also.

Steal everything!

Bunyan is cold. I bet he snuck in and slaughtered them cubbies with nary a twitch in his heart.
    To be fair, the cubs would have died anyhow without their mother.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    You don't have to do any nonsense with the "scout" mode. Just hold R1 and move the camera with the dpad.

• Options
    edited July 2012

Also.

Steal everything!

There's a bit of famine going around, anyway.

PLA on
  • Options

Also.

Steal everything!

Trying to justify this little shindig is a mugs game mate.

It's all round horrible lets just leave it at that.

• Options
    Episode 5 - Let's NOT Learn Any Lessons (part a)
    embed.png (These Little Things)
    bof30501.jpg
    teepo.png I went to the west woods, looking for animals and berries... and look what I found!

bof30502.jpg
    teepo.png Now we won't have to worry about food anymore, right Rei? It's a good thing we got rid of that monster, huh?
    rei.png ...I suppose so
    teepo.png Hey! Why don't we go down to the village and show 'em who did it? Tell 'em who got rid of the monster!
    rei.png Hmmm... ... ... I don't know... Isn't it better if we don't brag about it?
    teepo.png W.. Why's that?
    rei.png But... ... ... I suppose it wouldn't hurt to go see what they're saying about us, would it?
    teepo.png Then we can go!? Come on, come on!

bof30503.jpg
    I didn't formally introduce goblins and boss goblins. Boss goblins have some crazy high agility and will always go first. They issue a command to other monsters (seen here) that focus-fires one of your characters. Pro tip: they're holding onto a strong light-weight armor that can be stolen!

bof30504.jpg
    Before going into town there's things to see! First, fishing is available in the game from here on out (fishing locations marked by fish jumping in water). Second, a new path opened on the world map. Let's see what's there.

bof30505.jpg
    mygas.png As you can see, well, I'm on a journey... And, well, I've used all my money and I can't find any food... I've found myself in a bit of a spot here... So, that's why I want to make you an offer...
    ryu.png(You're not gonna ask us to kill any nues or crazy stuff like that, are you?)
    mygas.png In exchange for all your money, I'll teach you my most powerful magics... In other words, I'll be your Master, and you'll be my apprentice...
    ryu.png(That sounds kind of sinister.)
    mygas.png The more you train, the more spells you'll be able to use... What do you say?
    teepo.pngUm, no.
    mygas.png W-w-w-w-w-w-what? You want to quit? Well, if you change your mind, you know where to find me.

embed.png (Half Asleep)
    bof30506.jpg
    teepo.png That's funny...no one's here... I told everyone that we'd be coming into town today...
    rei.png What? I knew you were bragging! I knew it!
    teepo.png Heh heh...

bof30507.jpg
    bof30508.jpg
    bof30509.jpg
    rei.png Hey, Teepo... What's going on?
    shovelman.png Hey, Rei.
    oldmanblue.png Is it true what they say...? That you three killed the Nue?
    rei.png Well... um yeah.
    shovelman.png So what Bunyan was saying is true then...
    oldwomanpurple.png So you mean you risked your lives ...for us?
    rei.png I guess you could say that...
    oldmanblue.png Well done!!
    embed.png (Country Living)
    oldmanblue.png Looks like we misjudged you boys... We're sorry... and we're grateful...
    oldwomanpurple.png We certainly are! If we'd known what you were really like before, well then...
    shovelman.png You won't need to steal anything ever again! We'll give you food whenever you need it--just ask!

bof30510.jpg
    rei.png What do you think of that--we're heroes!?
    teepo.png I don't know about you... but I feel pretty important...

bof30511.jpg
    loki.png I'm really impressed... No, I mean it...I am.
    teepo.pngemotenervous.png
    rei.pngAnd you are?
    loki.png Me? My name is Loki I guess you guys are heroes, eh? Saved the village, yeah? Yep, you three are certainly heroes... yep, yes indeed.
    teepo.pngRei, he's scaring me.
    loki.png Yep, you're really something...I mean, you killed that Nue, something no one else was able to do... ......That's why, seeing as you're so strong... I wanted to ask for your help...
    rei.pngI'm not sure if-
    teepo.png Sure!
    loki.png Oh! You'll help me? I just knew you would! Down the road, there's a farm with a little hut on the roadside... I'll meet you there later...OK? Then we have a deal.
    rei.pngOkay, fine, we have some business to take care of first.

bof30512.jpg
    teepo.pngOh neat!

bof30513.jpg
    If you'll notice, the prices are exactly the same. But here's the deal. Mygas wants your money. You may as well spend it on things. Some fishing gear, curing items, only a few herbs. Why only a few healing herbs? That'll come up later. Spend your money on other nessecities. Now, back to Mygas.

bof30505.jpg
    teepo.pngWe know! We're here to give you our money... all one zeny.
    mygas.png Oh! I can see you're one who's going places! If you become my apprentice, your AP and Intelligence will go up faster... 'Course, your Power and Defense won't go up as fast... So, who wants to be my apprentice?

bof30514.jpg
    mygas.png I hereby recognize Teepo as my apprentice!

bof30515.jpg
    People can only apprentice under one master at a time. At this point I have plans for Roo and Rei, so Teepo gets the honor. Besides, he's kinda magical.
    mygas.png Farewell... Come back after you've gotten stronger. If you're ready, I'll teach you some of my spells!

bof30516.jpg
    This is the "Master" list in camp. Those numbers represent the stat gains and losses per levels (you can't lose stats you have already, just subtractions from gains up to a point of nullifying). And now to introduce a new feature of the LP,

camp.pngCamp Chatter!
    teepo.png Did you see the way they talked about us? heh heh heh...
    rei.png I suppose a little fame never hurt anyone...

embed.png (The Farm)
    bof30517.jpg
    lazyman.png I suppose that since you got rid of the Mt. Glaus monster... I can look the other way if you want to steal something...
    ryu.png(I guess we'll look the other way of you laying around all day.)

bof30518.jpg
    rei.pngThe crops sure are looking much better.
    smoker.png Not bad, not bad... Now you won't have to hide your faces around the village.

bof30519.jpg
    gossipwoman.png We're lucky that the monster's not around anymore to take our food and crops...
    gossipman.png But I guess they'll just end up being taken by McNeil for taxes in the end... What a life...

embed.png (Thief)
    bof30520.jpg
    bof30521.jpg
    loki.png You know, the ones about Mr. McNeil?
    teepo.png That he's cheap and greedy?
    rei.png There's lots of people like that...
    loki.png Yes, but... well, don't you think... that McNeil is a little, well, too greedy? Hmmm?
    rei.png So you're saying... You want us heroes to steal everything back, is that it?
    loki.png Um...well... If you stole the tax money and gave it back to the villagers...
    teepo.png It'll make us even more popular, right?
    loki.png So you'll do it, then? Oh, thank you so much!

bof30522.jpg
    bof30523.jpg
    bof30524.jpg
    rei.pngFor the last time Teepo, we're not naming ourselves as a thief group.
    teepo.pngOh come on! Roo, don't you think 'Sticky Bandits' is a cool name?

bof30525.jpg
    loki.png Let's go, let's go! They just finished repairing the wall, so it might be hard to find a way in, but... I'm sure people as resourceful as you can find a way, right?
    teepo.png All right, let's go! Roo! Rei!

bof30526.jpg
    rei.png Let's split up and look for a way in. Be careful...

bof30527.jpg
    ryu.png(I wish they'd stop running all over leaving me alone like that!)

bof30528.jpg
    loki.png I think it's to the north...But you won't be able to get in that way...the repair- men did a perfect job, see?

bof30529.jpg
    teepo.png Why don't you just knock on the front door and say... "We're here to give back to everyone all the money you stole!"
    ryu.pngemotenervous.pngemotenervous.png

bof30530.jpg
    rei.png This is no problem for me... But I wonder if Roo would be able to handle it?
    ryu.pngemoteteardrop.png

bof30531.jpg
    rei.png Hey... isn't that the wall they were working on before...?

bof30532.jpg
    teepo.png ...Rei!

bof30533.jpg
    bof30534.jpg
    teepo.png Are you OK?
    rei.png Don't this just beat all... So much for the perfect repair job... This isn't exactly how I planned it... But I'll take any break I can get... OK, let's go.

• Options
    Episode 5 - Let's NOT Learn Any Lessons (part b)
    bof30535.jpg
    teepo.pngSo, how do we get around here?
    rei.pngNot sure, but it looks like we're not alone.
    burglar.png I'm trying to break in here... So don't tell the guards you saw me, OK?

bof30536.jpg
    bof30537.jpg
    bof30538.jpg
    guardblue.png Oh, it's just Rei...
    rei.pngemotequestion.png
    guardblue.png Hey, if you beat that Nue... then I don't stand a chance against you, right?
    rei.png You're a pretty smart fellow... We're going in, OK?

bof30539.jpg
    teepo.pngBoy that was convenient.
    guardblue.png Heh heh...thanks. Our salary's not that great, you know? Go right ahead... I didn't see anything.

bof30540.jpg
    guardblue.png ... is what I'm supposed to say.

bof30541.jpg
    ryu.png (What's a wallet doing here...?) You found the wallet!
    rei.pngWhat're you gonna do with that thing Roo?

bof30542.jpg
    guardblue.png I've been looking for it everywhere! I really shouldn't do this, but seeing as you found my wallet... I'll let you through, OK?

bof30543.jpg
    Not all guards are lazy. If there's a search light, you're in for it and you get sent back to the start. Plus, that jerk wants 50 zeny again and the burglar won't give you anymore.

bof30544.jpg
    rei.pngDo it, what's the worse that can happen?

bof30545.jpg
    guardpurple.png Hey! Quitting time...

bof30546.jpg
    guardsmoking.png I mean, if I let you through here... it'll look like I wasn't doing my job, right?
    rei.pngOkay guys, this might be the one we're out of luck on...
    guardsmoking.png I hate to ask you this, but... Do you think you could go over to the gate and get rid of the dog that's there?
    rei.pngemotequestion.png
    guardsmoking.png See, that way... It'll look like the dog's fault, not mine, right? Please?
    rei.png Don't that just beat all? They're all a bunch of goof-offs!

bof30547.jpg
    teepo.png It doesn't seem right, picking on a little dog like this, Rei.
    rei.png Would you say the same thing if he'd bitten your butt while you were climbing over the wall, Teepo?
    teepo.pngemoteteardrop.png
    rei.png Rather this than another Nue... Let's do it!

bof30548.jpg
    bof30549.jpg
    And there's the most important aspect of this fight - learning Snap. It's a weak attack that applies a defense debuff. Since this is a one-off mini-boss...

bof30550.jpg
    ryu.png(I don't FEEL great...)

bof30551.jpg
    guardblue.png Unlike me, all the guards there take their jobs seriously.

bof30552.jpg
    baldman.png I'd better go make sure she's alright!

bof30553.jpg
    guardblue.png Instead of being stuck in this corner!
    rei.pngSounds like there's something about Mina. Let's check this out.

bof30554.jpg
    baldman.png M-M -Mina... W-w-would you like to s-s-spend some time with me?
    mina.png I don't know...
    This is like a bad kid's anime...

bof30555.jpg
    teepo.pngSome guy is asking her about time.
    guardblue.png You say Mina's here! With another man!? That's terrible! I can't believe it!
    teepo.pngWow, he sure ran off in a hurry. What's he guarding?

bof30556.jpg
    bof30557.jpg
    teepo.png Since we can't get in the house 'cause of all the guards, why don't we just steal some eggs and go home!
    rei.png Um...I don't think so... Aren't you setting your sights a little low there, Teepo?
    teepo.png Whoa! Rei!

bof30558.jpg
    rei.png I don't think that'll make him happy...

bof30559.jpg
    bof30560.jpg
    Rocky here is what I would consider the first deadly boss fight, even if this is a mini-boss. He has a deadly attack called "Jump" which will randomly inflict high damage. It can be learned. Oh, also.

bof30561.jpg
    bof30562.jpg
    Yes, Rei has a tail in egg form. Characters turned to eggs cannot act, and generally become the enemy's target. Still with some persistance...

bof30563.jpg
    ryu.png(Still not feeling 'great' about these fights!)

embed.png (Crowing in the Night)
    bof30564.jpg
    Okay, the game seriously only has one chicken run out at a time, even if it's really fast. Let's George Lucas this up.

CHICKENS.jpg
    bof30565.jpg
    guardblue.png Whoa! What's happening!?
    mina.png eeeeeeeeeeek!
    guardblue.png The chickens! They're escaping!
    guardpurple.png Close the gates! Everyone after the chickens!
    guardblue.png Rocky's been acting up again...
    teepo.png Boy, that worked better than we could have hoped for...We should be able to sneak into the house real easy now!

embed.png (Silence... like, stop the music.)
    bof30566.jpg
    teepo.png What should we do, Rei?
    rei.png I'll go check it out...

bof30567.jpg
    bof30568.jpg
    bof30569.jpg
    ryu.pngemotenervous.png
    teepo.pngRoo!
    ryu.pngemoteteardrop.png
    rei.png They're all guarding the door...
    teepo.png Should we give up?
    rei.png ...No... Let's force our way in...
    teepo.png Force... You mean... fight the guards?
    rei.png No... I'll act as a decoy... And while they're after me, you two sneak in... I'll climb up to the roof and meet you there, OK?

embed.png (Tiger Power)
    bof30570.jpg
    bof30571.jpg
    teepo.png Let's go, Roo!

bof30572.jpg
    teepo.pngOkay, it's working out so far...

bof30573.jpg
    Okay, so there's giant bugs. Roaches have the Jump ability, which they don't always use, but if you're not careful...

bof30574.jpg
    This happens.

bof30575.jpg
    Lucky for us, the game has a hidden stat, Willpower, which gives you a chance to immediately raise from being KO'd. Now we can only hope the other roach's attack misses.

embed.png
    bof30576.jpg
    bof30577.jpg
    Uh... SEE YOU GUYS NEXT EPISODE THIS NEVER HAPPENED!

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Roo Reloads!

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    If I had any money by the way, I'd be offering prizes for catching typos of Roo's name still being "Ryu."

And I couldn't keep episode 5 short as I wanted. I did cut out a big chunk from it but it was a nonsequitor and can be its own episode (and will be, and brief).