As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Marvel NOW! - Welcome to the Future of the Marvel Universe (GO TO NEW THREAD)

• FuruFuru Registered User regular
    put Nico on that team and we've got a party

it's entirely possible this is the book where the Runaways characters are going to go

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    man, if Gillen is writing that, I am excited.

• Adam CasalinoAdam Casalino New York (in my heart)Registered User regular
    when i first learned of marvel now, i clenched my butt in fear. but after learning it wasn't a "reboot" i relaxed. but what will happen with iron man? matt fraction had such a long amazing run. i hope they keep him in there somewhere.

i always get nervous when they announce new creative teams. often a series will just tank. hopefully this won't be the case for ol' shell head.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    The rumor is Keiron Gillen (yay) and Greg Land (boo) on Iron Man, so it's Tony's turn to take the Greg Land albatross.

• Adam CasalinoAdam Casalino New York (in my heart)Registered User regular
    ah crap really? i can't believe that guy is still making comics. why are ppl hiring him???

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    People like his art.

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Furu wrote: »

it's entirely possible this is the book where the Runaways characters are going to go

The Runaways died on the way back to their home planet

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Wait

Wiccan, Loki and what appears to be that chick from Vengeance?

Holy shit that sounds like a crazy teen team

I hate Wiccan with a burning passion and Kid Loki annoys the hell out of me

that other kid could be okay though

so far the only character revealed that I care about is the new Nova, but I fear that he will be a victim of Jeph Loeb

oh well, Marvel NOW wasn't ever going to be all good for me

• jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    You occasionally have bad opinions, Solar.
    Kid Loki annoys the hell out of me

This is one of those times.

tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited July 2012
    I don't think that Gillen is awful or whatever

Actually he's one of my favorite writers and I love his Thor run

I just don't like Kid Loki. He's annoying and regular Loki is way better.

Solar on
    I think you're about the only person I've yet seen on the internet who doesn't like Kid Loki

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Furu wrote: »

The Runaways died on the way back to their home planet

So I stopped reading comics just as the first Runaway arc wrapped up.

What happened? It seemed at the time they were Marvel's breakout characters. Now? They're rarely ever mentioned.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Basically BKV left and they were handled poorly and delayed heavily by other writers

CYpGAPn.png
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    I'm just waiting for the inevitable 'controversy' when the Ant-man movie comes out, and people are going to talk about wife-slapping again.
    Because you just know Rush Limbaugh is going to go there.

You are underestimating Limbaugh, he'd protest because it's obvious propaganda for Parksville Youth Ministry! ( P.Y.M.)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Basically BKV left and they were handled poorly and delayed heavily by other writers

Yeah.

There was a Joss Whedon run that was alright, but just kind of... there.

After that, there was a Terry Moore run, and that killed it dead. Just needed time for the body to hit the ground.

Same thing happened to Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane, only that didn't need as much time to die a merciful death.

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    The Terry Moore arc wasn't that bad, though Ramos was the worst artist to pair with the kind of story Moore was telling

At least it wasn't horrifically delayed like Whedon's run

Shame that the Kathryn Immonen run was so bad, she's done good stuff with Hellcat but dang was her Runaways dire

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    I normally like Whedon quite a bit, but his Runaways arc was pretty boring

haven't read Immonen's

I too liked Moore's run, but it seemed by the end of the first arc Marvel decided they didn't want the team to grow up like Moore was intending to do, and it was kind of like, well, where do I go with this series now? so Moore left.

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    I feel like Runaways is in this trap made of its own small, very well constructed mythology.

Like, what is Runaways? It's evil parents, superpowered kids, time travel, aliens, and at least one cast member biting it, every so often. Vaughan did all that stuff first, and best.

And now, everyone else who writes the book, wants to do the same thing. Whedon introduced a whole slew of new superpowered kids, as well as a new Runaway, who was fleeing through time.

Moore used aliens in his initial arc, which I never finished reading.

Immonen killed off a cast member, and then did a whole shocking revelation cliffhanger, that was never resolved.

I feel like someone needs to find something cool to do with the cast, that's not the same old stuff they've always done, and really push that as their new status quo. No more Gibborim, no more time travel or evil parents, no more cast member deaths, and no more contrived ways for them to run away from something.

That said I'm not sure what the right direction would be, really. I still think you could rename them The Pride, and do some cool stuff with them reluctantly inheriting their parents' empire. But I think you could just as easily make the book into kind of a Young Heroes in Love/Major Bummer kind of book, about slacker teenagers who keep bumping up against crazy stuff, and are forced to deal with it.

• AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    So, on a whim I picked up Vengeance #1 to learn about the new Miss America.

It's actually pretty good!

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
    The thing about Runaways is I miss Gert a whole lot.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    The thing about Runaways is I miss Gert a whole lot.

We all do.

The thing that seemed like the easiest to work with is the fallout from the Pride being gone. I mean, they kept the entire west coast underworld in line. Now it's an easy target and all the superpowered weirdness they kept underground is bubbling up.

It's the stuff BKV had set up and ready when his run on the book ended, at any rate. All the other stuff was wrapped up with a bow.

Leaves the Runaways with a ready string of enemies, from goofy jokes to serious threats, lets them keep at odds with the wider hero community (after all, they're treating this as THEIR mess, and they don't trust anyone but Spidey anyway), and provides a solid engine which can shift around a fair deal depending on your needs.

I think you're about the only person I've yet seen on the internet who doesn't like Kid Loki

Pretty much

• VermisVermis Registered User regular
    Black Ant... pfffhahahaha! :lol:

Hank Pym captured and exposed to AIM gamma tech - Red Ant.
    Eric O'Grady returns with plant elemental powers - Wood Ant.
    Johnny Storm bombarded with Pym particles - Fire Ant.
    Apocalypse regains memory and starts using shrinking powers - Pharaoh Ant.

rulksig.jpg
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    And the last point 1 teaser is guardians of the galaxy. At least starlord has his awesome uniform and helmet there.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Scott Lang is shot -Bullet Ant
    He comes back to life after three days - Carpenter Ant

Also Scott Lang stole the formula originally, so he could also be - Thief Ant

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    When it comes to Black Ant, I'll have a hard time thinking of him as bad because in SimAnt the black ants were the good ants.

1342816317.jpg

CYpGAPn.png
    Vermis wrote: »
    Black Ant... pfffhahahaha! :lol:

Hank Pym captured and exposed to AIM gamma tech - Red Ant.
    Eric O'Grady returns with plant elemental powers - Wood Ant.
    Johnny Storm bombarded with Pym particles - Fire Ant.
    Apocalypse regains memory and starts using shrinking powers - Pharaoh Ant.

Nah, nah. We can do better.

Eric O'Grady and Hank Pym are chained together, forced to go on the run while stuck at microscopic size; Eric is the DeviANT, while Hank's the CombatANT.

The series title?

The DefiANT Ones.

D-. Munch.

CYpGAPn.png
    Cassie Lang skips school-- marked as Truant.

Black Ant realizes Black Ant is a dumb name-- changes to Malevolant.

Bill Foster comes back to life-- decides to become Black Ant, because that's just how that dude rolls.

stop it

I'm begging you

I can't, Solar.

I'm Can't-Man.

Well okay then

you missed out Scott Lang, by the way

IrrelevANT

edited July 2012
    I just figured Scott Lang could stay regular Ant-Man.

His punishment for being boring, is that he gets a boring name.

Though, Irrelevant is pretty much the best name, for a bite-sized hero that nobody notices or cares about.

Munch on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    munch never cease

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    AWESOME HELMET STAR LORD.

YES.

I am okay with the return to his classic color scheme because he has the helmet.

• ZyrxilZyrxil Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Him being in a Cosmic title is a little weird, ditto for Nova.

Zyrxil on
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Yesss, dat helmet.

I've only recently dipped into the cosmic stuff but I'm glad Quill is keeping the helmet.

Zyrxil wrote: »
    Him being in a Cosmic title is a little weird, ditto for Nova.
    Wait Him who

cause both Star-Lord and Nova are cosmic characters

all of these characters aren't in the same book, Point One is a sampler for upcoming Now! series

CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.