As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Marvel NOW! - Welcome to the Future of the Marvel Universe (GO TO NEW THREAD)

• Options
    ZyrxilZyrxil Registered User regular
    Was? ->Dark Reign->Siege->Fear Itself->AvX. I feel like more individual titles have been able to completely pretend the events weren't going on compared to Civil War and Secret Invasion, but Marvel's still doing yearly company-wide events.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Dark Reign wasn't an event, it was a branding

like Heroic Age

but Siege->Fear Itself->AvX is correct, yeah

and Brevoort said fans shouldn't be shocked if there is another one next Summer. Which I can't blame Marvel over, I mean AvX is selling more than any event before it. Events still make money.

It'll probably be Age of Ultron.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I wonder if they might go with a bit smaller of an event so Hickman has more time to find his feet on the Avengers titles

• Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    http://www.newsarama.com/comics/all-new-x-men-brian-michael-bendis.html

All New X-Men stuff

- the past X-Men being in the present isn't just the first arc, it's the status qup
    - They're going to be based out of the Jean Grey School

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Damn it, I fear for my Pull List.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    Also worth noting:

Age of Ultron is post-NOW! meaning is is almost certainly the Summer event for 2013

Keiron Gillen will be writing a book that is perfect for fans of Journey into Mystery, which pretty much confirms he'll be writing that team book with KidLoki, Wiccan and Miss America

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Delduwath wrote: »
    By the way, can I just say, if Secret Invasion was a subtly-plotted event - like if someone of Hickman's caliber were plotting it - it would have been so amazing. Like if for several years, hints were dropped here and there, so that when the event itself went off, you could go through the previous couple of years and see Skrull fingerprints on different stories. I realize that the comic book industry as it exists now could never support a multi-year meta-plot, but man. Man.

That's what makes me hopeful for Hickman's big goal, that it really will have genuine hints dropped throughout. It looked like Secret Invasion didn't plant any seeds until the Illuminati mini, which was a few months before the Elektra reveal happened, and was basically the next event being set up. I don't think Hickman will resort to a magic washcloth to explain key parts of his story (an A.I. parallel dimension washcloth powered by Buddhism maybe)

The New X-Men stuff doesn't grab me. Bendis writing X-Men would have been nice to see a year or two ago, but particularly with AvX the guy doesn't know how to write the characters as they are now, and this is why it looks like he has to bring back essentially blank slate characters from the past to exist for the time being as the status quo (I'm guessing he pulls them out right after they graduate in Uncanny #7). Even in House of M he stuck mainly to using Emma, who was groomed by Morrison years prior, as his x-person of choice outside of Wolverine. Mentioning Gishcler's X-Men run, which is largely throw away, feels odd too. And really, the attitude he gives to time travel is why I hate when Marvel uses it.

Where the Avengers line feels like it's in good hands coming out of AvX, and has a way to move forward in a distinct direction, everything about New X-Men so far makes it feel like it's looking back too much, which is what screwed up the X-Men in the 90's. I got back into comics right before Morrison and Casey took over the x-books, and there was a real sense of change there that I was looking forward to (and sadly only Morrison's panned out right). I'm actually getting that same vibe with the Avengers announcements right now. I'm just not feeling that with the X-Men right now, which sucks because they need something good after their relentless persecution in AvX. It needs to be said, the most Avenger of all the Phoenix Five was Namor, and he was the loose cannon who attack Wakanda. Coincidence? I think not. Mutant rights now!

edit: I expect Jeff Parker to keep an eye on how Bendis writes Bobby, like a mother bear watches over her cub.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    You remember how early on in the series, they were like "Oh snap, there's a rogue faction of S.H.I.E.L.D. that's doing things in the Savage La- OH WHOOPS HOUSE OF M"? Did they ever actually go back to that plot point? I can't even remember. I mean, was that supposed to be the first hint of Skrulls?

By the way, can I just say, if Secret Invasion was a subtly-plotted event - like if someone of Hickman's caliber were plotting it - it would have been so amazing. Like if for several years, hints were dropped here and there, so that when the event itself went off, you could go through the previous couple of years and see Skrull fingerprints on different stories. I realize that the comic book industry as it exists now could never support a multi-year meta-plot, but man. Man.

Yeah, the rogue SHIELD faction was Skrulls trying to get that vibranium.

When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Possibly Marvel NOW related. The newest Uncanny X-Force has:
    the team being sent thirty years in the future. Frank Castle, Cable, and Hope have all joined. Hints from Remender?

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    Considering
    Cable is on that teaser and Rucka has said his series is ending because Punisher is being put on a team book, I bet they are.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Jesus, Punisher on X-Force is a brilliant idea. Wow. Good job Marvel.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    It would go nicely witht the whole merging the mutants and X-Men more into the general Marvel universe.

• Options
    ZyrxilZyrxil Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    It would go nicely witht the whole merging the mutants and X-Men more into the general Marvel universe.

Eh, I have to question if that's really a good thing to do. It's almost a cornerstone of the Marvel universe to pretend that people can actually tell the difference between mutant and metahuman, and that there's any appreciable difference. Hell, antimutants are portrayed as saying it's against god's will, when mutants are born naturally and metas are created artificially.

Also, I just read the Captain-Ms.Marvel, and while it was pretty good character development, that sort of thing leaves me completely cold since there is no character 'ownership' in Western superhero comics (with the exception of Robinson's Starman and I guess Ennis's Punisher MAX as being a clearly separate version of a character from a separate continuity). Half a year later it's gonna be a different writer, and the character development will have been forgotten. Since personal scenes are 99% worthless, it's far preferable to get a well plotted story out of a good writer.

• Options
    stratslingerstratslinger Registered User regular
    Possibly Marvel NOW related. The newest Uncanny X-Force has:
    the team being sent thirty years in the future. Frank Castle, Cable, and Hope have all joined. Hints from Remender?

Possibly... But that issues also apparently has:
    Betsy committing hari kari in order to try to prevent exactly the future we're seeing in this book. Of course, it remains to be seen whether or not it'll work, but I think the next couple issues are going to be all about avoiding this exact future.

Honestly, I thought Remender promised "a death" in this story line... But this is starting to get out of hand. First
    Jean-Claude
    , which I totally bought as a heroic death. Then
    Gateway
    , which made me start to doubt death #1. And now apparent death #3? #4 even, if you count
    future Deathlok
    They're dropping like flies!

• Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    You also have Fantomex's ship
    which now has human form.

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    I really like this preview for the next issue of Daredevil.

Hank Pym v.s. nanobots in Daredevil's brain, while Daredevil's afflicted with Hank's memories, to draw a parallel between the two.

It's the kind of thing I love to see in comics; a big, exciting A Plot, with a quieter, emotionally resonant B Plot. Too many comics are just empty calorie time-wasters, that are either boring, say nothing of substance about the characters, or both.

And damn, Samnee draws so well.

• Options
    Samnee is easily one of my favorite artists working today

dude is just fantastic at body language and expressions and aaaaaugh I love him

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Also, Remender let some Uncanny Avengers details out:

The team will be based out of Avengers mansion and be an independent Avengers squad, with its' own codename to be revealed.

The book will be written like Uncanny X-Force, with 4-6 issue arcs that all feed into one long narrative.

Wanda's powers are back to the same level they were at during Kurt Busiek's Avengers.

The current Uncanny X-Force arc leads into the creation of the team, particuarly with Wolverine getting a new mission statement in his life.

The team will get new members, but only after the original squad has been around long enough for Remender to give them each the appropriate amount of depth.

Alex Summers will be a big focus of the book, and will be put into some very difficult situations as leader.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Sounds pretty cool

Remender is Remender so I am sure that book will rule

• Options
    I've been having this thought with the upcoming stuff, and I wonder if anyone else has had it: we're at a point where there is a real new guard change at Marvel like it was in 2000, and it feels like Hickman is picking up the Morrison banner, in terms of how his stories play out and the various scales he works with. Bendis is kind of Claremont post X-Men (the first time) now. Jeff Parker is Fabian Niceiza. Dan Slott is Bendis. But here's where I get concerned. If Hickman is Morrison, it feels like Remender is Millar. Where Hickman is galactic in scale, Remender has that darker, violent twinge that showed up in Millar's post Superman Adventures stuff (Authority and Uncanny X-Force do have a similar vibe to them). Now, this doesn't necessarily mean they are going to follow the same paths, but there are checkpoints they are passing that is making me feel some deja vu.

• Options
    So who's Jason Aaron in this scenario?

• Options
    Remender is, however, a far superior writer to Millar, doesn't have the same mean spirited sense to his work, and overall just doesn't produce unmitigated shite like Millar does.

• Options
    Solar wrote: »
    Remender is, however, a far superior writer to Millar, doesn't have the same mean spirited sense to his work, and overall just doesn't produce unmitigated shite like Millar does.

You're looking at it from Millar now, not Millar right around his Ultimates run, when he still had some skill, and only really produced one turd (Trouble)

Jason Aaron is Joe Kelly.

• Options
    Except Remender has already produced stuff that is way, way better than Millar had back then, and much more of it too.

I literally can't think of a Millar series that is really good, with the possible exception of Superior which is decent, and certainly nothing that compares to Remender's first eighteen issues of UXF, which were amazing.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Millar wrote some really good stuff with Morrison in Aztek and Flash

• Options
    No, Morrison wrote some really good stuff and Millar was there

let's not kid ourselves who was in charge

• Options
    1343423309.jpg

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Antimatter wrote: »
    Millar wrote some really good stuff with Morrison in Aztek and Flash

And his Superman Adventures. And his and Ultimate X-Men and Ultimates work was good, time doesn't change that. It may point out some more of Millar's flaws, but he did what he was supposed to in making a new universe appealing and it worked. And I still say his Marvel Knights Spider-Man is the best stuff he's ever written.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Speaking of Millar, you know what I thought was kind of overrated? Old Man Logan.

• Options
    Yeah OML wasn't very good

• Options
    here's the long interview with Remender about Uncanny Avengers:

http://marvel.com/news/story/19136/marvel_now_qa_uncanny_avengers

• Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    I like Millar's stuff when he is given an existing universe/team and then they let him get silly with them. You know his stuff will be ridic, over the top, and have a few cool moments, some stupid rhetoric, etc. It's not classic comics, but it's pretty entertaining.

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Love that Punisher cover

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    VermisVermis Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Can I just say I hate Punisher's beard? Makes him look like some skinny grungy 'dewd', like Ashton Kutcher or that guy out of Whitney. If Frank Castle should have a beard, it should be like that ultimate beard of beardliness.
    250px-WilRiker.jpg

Vermis on
    rulksig.jpg
  • Options
    MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular
    Vermis wrote: »
    Can I just say I hate Punisher's beard? Makes him look like some skinny grungy 'dewd', like Ashton Kutcher or that guy out of Whitney. If Frank Castle should have a beard, it should be like that ultimate beard of beardliness.
    250px-WilRiker.jpg

Opinions and all, but we need more bearded characters in Marvel. I'd prefer to let Frank rock the facial hair some more, let his character evolve a little since he's playing more of a "mentor" role. I actually liked the Big Boss from Metal Gear Solid thing he had going, but I supposed the whole eyepatch thing might be overdone since the MU now has 2 Nick Fury's.

• Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    This Red Skull is a digital recording that Arnim Zola took during the middle of World War II and saved it with a machine that can create a clone that was basically in a bunker. Red Skull said “Create a duplicate of me that will wake up in 70 or 80 years when everybody has forgotten what I’ve done, and the world won’t be out hunting me anymore.” And so this Red Skull, he woke up however many months or years back from now, and he’s a Red Skull taken directly out of World War II. The Red Skull we’ve seen as he grew and progressed in the Marvel Universe, that guy died. This guy is almost a reset of The Red Skull, and that works really well for the analogy with civil rights stuff.
    Okay at first that sounds terrible, but now that I think about it, it could be pretty great

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    It seems to me a fairly creative way of resurrecting the Skull without messing around with bodily resurrection.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Which Remender book is that
    Uncanny Avengers?

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    yeah its uncanny avengers.

and it seems like EXACTLY the kind of thing Skull would have done too.

• Options
    Vermis wrote: »
    250px-WilRiker.jpg
    Uh

this beard and the one on that War Zone cover are pretty similar

the only difference is Frank's is a little more scruffy and connects all the way around to the sideburns

CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.