As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Marvel NOW! - Welcome to the Future of the Marvel Universe (GO TO NEW THREAD)

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    yeah its uncanny avengers.

and it seems like EXACTLY the kind of thing Skull would have done too.

Nazi Egomania 101:
    Replicate yourself

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Heck, Hitler did it.

490737-hate_monger_i_001_large.jpg

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Looks like Iron Man Team of Gillen/Land is confirmed
    detail.jpg

UltimateInferno on
    "Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    That's a shame, I was hoping for a last minute surprise.

That also looks like it's very similar to the font they used for the Gambit teaser.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Really looking forward to Gillen on Iron Man.

Not looking forward to Land on... well, anything.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    EUIq1.jpg
    Judging from their absence, it looks like the big death in AvX could be Emma, Namor or Colossus

it could also be Magik but she isn't all that important or prominent and there is an utterly featureless female figure that could be her

at least we know Iron Fist is safe

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    at least we know Iron Fist is safe
    /champagne
    :)

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    It could still be Cyclops, I don't see him on the cover. And outside of Storm, no one else from Cyclops' team seems to be there (Hope is there in name only above Cap).

I never guessed it but it could be Magik who dies, but it makes sense because why else does she appear out of nowhere to prominence in the event, when she was a step above a passing character in Uncanny for the past few years? It's like Black Goliath in Civil War, he shows up out of nowhere so of course he's the sacrificial lamb for the event, or Idie in Schism suddenly being pushed to the forefront.

• Options
    Cyclops is on the Marvel Now teaser and since he isn't rocking retro duds like Jean Grey, it's almost certainly present day Scott.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I get that, but I also think it could be a fake, as Marvel have done that in the past (DC too to an extent, like Guggenheim's Flash). If Cyclops doesn't die I do feel like more and more he's going to be a villain.

It seems like Marvel is trying to be really mum on exactly what happens with the end of AvX compared to their other events, and is why we haven't really had any big solicit spoilers so far. Maybe this is why they are staggering the relaunch more, so that by the time AvX finishes the next month all the reveals appear.

• Options
    I don't think it'll be Magik though, because of the whole Consequences fallout mini thing with everyone standing over the body and it is treated like a Big Deal

if Magik died most of the non-X-dudes in the Marvel Universe would be like "who?"

Colossus or Namor or Emma though

they are a big deal

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Then I hope it's Emma

Colossus is too cool and Namor fills a unique spot in the Marvel U

• Options
    I really doubt they put a fake redesigned Cyclops on the Now teaser

it would just be silly and basically outright lying

I think the most likely candidate is Colossus. Dude is an iconic X-Man, a super nice guy and a hero. Him dying would be a big loss to the X-Men and appropriately horrible.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    They paid Cassaday to make a few extra pages for Astonishing X-Men to show Jean being the one brought back to life, not Peter. And recently they replaced Mockingbird on the NA#27 cover with Spider-Woman So a simple character switch wouldn't be that big of thing these days with digital artwork, which Quesada does now.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    didn't they remove Thor from a cover at one point

• Options
    The question isn't if it's possible, it's if Marvel would do it

• Options
    Antimatter wrote: »
    didn't they remove Thor from a cover at one point
    Yes and no

they revealed the Avengers Assemble cover, sans Thor because he died at the end of Fear Itself and Marvel didn't want to give away that he was coming back even though everyone knew he was

later, after he had come back, they revealed the full cover with Thor present

it is a little different than putting Cyclops on a cover with a new costume and then revealing he actually dies

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I think Marvel would do it, same with DC. I don't think it's lying or there's anything wrong with it, it's trying to not show your hand till the last minute thanks to how quickly word travels these days on big reveals. It's misdirection in one of the best ways the medium can make it work.

• Options
    Giving him a redesigned costume just for a fake-out seems excessive

• Options
    Turambar wrote: »

Which makes it even more effective. When you look at that Cyclops in the OP, it would easily be switched out with say, Havok and his new costume. Both have the head covered, and Cyclops' hand is less of a touching the visor thing and more a jumping out of the banner for a pep rally. I want Cyclops to stay alive, because someone needs to keep Captain America in check. But it wouldn't surprise me if they did do a switcheroo and this makes Havok's prominence have even more meaning.

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Namor makes the most sense to me. He's a hugely important figure within his universe, but he isn't that important to the title he's in or to Marvel's bottom line. That means his death can have an impact without his absence having too much of a negative effect.

Also, I think they've taken the concept of Namor exploring his mutant heritage as far as it can go. So, even if he doesn't die, I'd expect him to leave the fold and either undergo some kind of change in direction or just lay low for a while.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    if any of the Phoenix five die

then I'd prefer it to be Colossus

he's colossally boring at this point, since Kitty left him (you go girl!)

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Colossusnaut isn't boring, IMO. It isn't the character's fault that every other writer at Marvel ignores what Gillen has done with the character.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    The Cyttorak storyline still needs to finish up, though.

If Colossus suddenly died, it would have to be an editorial mandate against the wishes of the current X-Men writers, and I doubt that editorial would be that adamant that Colossus specifically has to die.

• Options
    Isn't Black Panther supposed to be getting a push soon? I don't see a figure that looks like him in that image.

• Options
    Well Kieron Gillen is writing the Consequences Aftermath mini

so he could easily resolve the Cytorrak plotline there

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

If Colossus suddenly died, it would have to be an editorial mandate against the wishes of the current X-Men writers, and I doubt that editorial would be that adamant that Colossus specifically has to die.

Much like how the event started, the Avengers writers have declared war on the X-Men writers, and demand mutant sacrifices over Avengers. Hickman is standing in the corner of the room connecting the Wright Brothers to the Inhumans.

• Options
    Isn't Black Panther supposed to be getting a push soon? I don't see a figure that looks like him in that image.
    Yeah but that isn't, like, a huge Marvel NOW! Teaser

it is just McGuinness' covers for A+X

just means T'Challa isn't in the book

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Ohhhh I see

• Options
    Yeah and Brevoort said on his formspring that there will be plenty of opportunities for T'Challa to show off his new Panther powers in Marvel NOW

so he's probably on Avengers, if not getting his own solo book

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Just so people know, I just found out that Kieron Gillen has a Formspring, and Dan Slott just reactivated his.

http://www.formspring.me/KieronGillen
    http://www.formspring.me/DanSlott

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular

Also Colossus has been dead in the not TOO distant past...what's it been 5 years?

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    Hawkstone wrote: »

Also Colossus has been dead in the not TOO distant past...what's it been 5 years?

and to be fair, he was only dead for 4 years before that

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    Everybody else got one. It would be suspicious.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    And to be fair, I'm sure that Marvel has tons of unused redesigns of costumes lying around from failed pitches and the like.

• Options
    1343740910.jpg
    Aaron and Ribic on Thor

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Also, Mark Waid and Leniel Yu confirmed on Incredible Hulk via Mark Paniccia's Twitter

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Well, I'm on board with Hulk, then.

• Options
    I think Aaron and Ribic will be a pretty rad Thor team

between Ribic's more viking-esque redesign and Aaron's love of metal-ass things and history I am expecting a more fantasy focused Thor than Fraction has been writing. Closer to Fraction's Ages of Thunder mini than anything else.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Yeah and Brevoort said on his formspring that there will be plenty of opportunities for T'Challa to show off his new Panther powers in Marvel NOW

New Panther powers? Like... he can do whatever a panther can?

This discussion has been closed.