As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Marvel NOW! - Welcome to the Future of the Marvel Universe (GO TO NEW THREAD)

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    But I saw his crotch in that one issue! And he makes with the hanky and also the panky

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Yeah but so does every other male superhero

the crotch thing was hilarious though

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Stop trying to disabuse me of my Hawkeye fantasies

HEAD CANON

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Yeah I mean the Alex Ross one I have seen praised before because it makes Kara (who is Power Woman in Kingdom Come, I think?) look strong and confident and intimidating, as much of a superhuman powerhouse as anyone else. So mocking it seems a little dumb, I guess? Like, surely Hawkeye in the same pose is Hawkeye standing there with his arms folded looking tough as hell?

• Options
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    To be fair, Hawkeye is one of the Marvel U's leading ladies' men.

• Options
  • Options
    Yeah but that is not the same as LET ME STRUT MY STUFF LOOK AT MY ASS

I have a friend who goes on Tumblr all the time and thinks Hawkeye is basically Jeremy Renner, who does act like that.

So

there you go

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Let's see, Hawkeye has dated or otherwise been involved with: Wasp, Scarlet Witch, Black Widow, Mockingbird, Moonstone, Spider-Woman... Am I missing anybody?

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    He thinks She Hulk has a thing for him, but I don't think they were ever together

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    I never go on Tumblr and I guess that Hawkeye tumblr has reached the end of cake because it bores me now

But if they took the new comic and made a TV show like that, I would watch it every day

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    tumblr does not know when to stop. Ever.

• Options
    Ringo wrote: »
    He thinks She Hulk has a thing for him, but I don't think they were ever together

She's even banged Juggernaut

Hawkeye must be devastated

• Options
    Quoth wrote: »

totallyuntrue.png

• Options
    Oh man that is awesome

What is the real story behind the Juggernaut thing, I must know

• Options
    Basically Chuck Austen, a TERRIBLE writer, wrote the two of them hooking up which was quickly ignored by pretty much everyone

then Dan Slott, writer of She-Hulk's latest solo book, had a running gag in her book of people constantly bringing it up and Jen constantly denying it

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Ignored, but never actually explained away? That is so sweet, I love it

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    It was explained in Slott's last She Hulk issue:
    people on vacation from an alternate universe using powers in our world, so another She Hulk slept with Juggernaut

• Options
  • Options
    Slott's She-Hulk series was pretty much a comic book about comic books

sometimes it worked and was hilarious

other times it was up its' own ass so far that no light could be found

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I did not like the comic being used as legal documents thing, and then the whole thing about trades being bad until it actually saves a comic fans life.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    It was explained in Slott's last She Hulk issue:
    people on vacation from an alternate universe using powers in our world, so another She Hulk slept with Juggernaut

I love comic books.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Quoth wrote: »

totallyuntrue.png

I love the "mission accomplished" guy, because the panel makes it look like he had a devious plan to spread rumors about She-Hulk around until she got annoyed.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    wait

that wasn't the intent of the panel?

• Options
    I am pretty sure they meant it to look like that

not that it makes it any less funny

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I figured it was just some SHIELD agent confirming that they captured/found whatever was in those wrappings.

• Options
    Mainstream Comics Journalism is kind of a joke, as 3-4 stars(or their equivalent) is the default rating for books instead of reserving them for ones that are actually, y'know, good. And the whole "These websites are basically in Marvel and DC's pockets."

So, with that said, Newsarama reviewed the first issue of Thunderbolts.

It got fucking 2/10.

Good god.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    encroyable

• Options
  • Options
    diggity damn 2/10

Way and Dillon not pulling out their usual high qual-ohahahahaa I'm sorry I can't finish that

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Shocked, I am shocked.

I'm actually quite depresses by this. Not that I was expecting more from this team, but because this is just a nail in the coffin for the Thunderbolts concept.

• Options
    Newsarama is going with a number scale now? Interesting.

And with that all of Newsarama's links to review copies magically disappear until they learn their lesson.

• Options
    Shocked, I am shocked.

I'm actually quite depresses by this. Not that I was expecting more from this team, but because this is just a nail in the coffin for the Thunderbolts concept.
    What? No it isn't.

The Thunderbolts concept is doing just fine over in Dark Avengers.

Way's Thunderbolts have nothing to do with Villains-as-Superheroes. Rulk and Venom are Avengers, Deadpool is a SHIELD Agent. Elektra and Frank are the only two that might qualify as villains.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Way isn't always terrible though. Just more times than not. Some of his Deadpool run was really good at times.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I should rephrase, its going to be slightly toxic to the Thunderbolts name.

You are absolutely correct otherwise.

• Options
    Yeah, Red Hulk, Venom and even Deadpool are all pretty heroic these days

You don't need to persuade Flash or Ross to not go out killing and robbing people, especially Flash who is a pretty upstanding guy, if one who is regularly shat on from a great height

• Options
    The biggest problem with this issue is that it just doesn't give any reason for this team to exist. There is no threat, no looming problem, no adventure in the offing. Thunderbolts #1 travels from scene to scene, breathlessly and weightlessly recruiting characters who seem awfully nonchalant while mowing down waves of generic thugs. Somehow, "Thunderbolt" Ross (get it???) manages to find everyone from Elektra to Venom in mid-rampage, and carry on a conversation in the midst of gunfire and melee. It strains credibility, and Steve Dillon's stiff, clinical art does no favors and adds no charm to the characters or the scenes. Dillon has done great work on similar titles in the past, including an extensive run on the Punisher, but here, he's the equivalent of cheap CGI, shedding too much light on material that ought to be swathed in shadow, under a thin layer of grime. This should be the secret underbelly of the Marvel universe, the place where guys like Captain America or Spider-Man must never tread, but instead it feels like a sitcom about murderers.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    It's more showing that you don't mess with the incredibly simple Thunderbolts recipe. Hitmen and Fight Club, really?

• Options
    Well I mean

Thunderbolts being a villain-as-superheroes book when Dark Avengers is doing that already would be kind of silly

I am 100% fine with Ross leading a Black Ops team including Venom and Punisher and even Elektra. Deadpool doesn't really belong there as Ross wouldn't put up with his bullshit like Logan did.

but Daniel Way writing it and Steve Dillon drawing it?

No

no thank you

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Mainstream Comics Journalism is kind of a joke, as 3-4 stars(or their equivalent) is the default rating for books instead of reserving them for ones that are actually, y'know, good. And the whole "These websites are basically in Marvel and DC's pockets."

So, with that said, Newsarama reviewed the first issue of Thunderbolts.

It got fucking 2/10.

Good god.

It's not a terribly well-written review. He enjoy the Ross and Castle dynamic, but he won't say why, and he somehow avoids giving a clear idea of what happens in the book except for the fact that it involves recruitment. Way isn't the best writer in the world, but I doubt that he actually forgot to add a plot to the story.

I do think that this is just the THunderbolts name without the concept, though.

Robos A Go Go on
This discussion has been closed.