As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Marvel NOW! - Welcome to the Future of the Marvel Universe (GO TO NEW THREAD)

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    See I actually buy that just fine

Way going OH MAN THIS SUPER BADASS TEAM YES I CAN PUT THEM TOGETHER IN THE SAME BOOK and then forgetting to actually give them a compelling reason to exist is something I can see happening quite easily

I mean the dude created Daken. Who, admittedly, later became an awesome character. But when he first showed up it was basically Wolverine has a son with some sick tats and a mohawk and also a wristclaw, fuckers.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Wasn't Secret Avengers already Black Ops dodginess

wasn't that the whole point

why give it Way and Dillon WHYYY

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    I wonder how long it'll be before we have a black black ops team, which is to say a black ops team that does all the ops that the other black ops teams can't handle.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Well we already know that Secret Avengers is coming back next year.

So not very long at all

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Undercover Four Blacktastic Ops

• Options
    I am so bummed by the new Secret Avengers

a spy book starring Fury, Coulson, Widow, Hawkeye and Bucky sounds fucking rad

but Nick Spencer can't help himself and gets super preachy when writing stuff like this and I had hoped he could rein himself in but whoops nope he got all preachy in the preview story

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Has there ever been a superhero comic that does a reverse thunderbolts? Like good guy pretends to be a super villain and is the main character of the book? I'm sure there had but blanking on one right now? Like I know side characters have done it, but not sure if it's been done as the driving conflict.
    PS I bet Reminder could sure write that concept.

UltimateInferno on
    "Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Has there ever been a superhero comic that does a reverse thunderbolts? Like good guy pretends to be a super villain and is the main character of the book? I'm sure there had but blanking on one right now? Like I know side characters have done it, but not sure if it's been done as the driving conflict.

Munch had a hilarious idea for that using Hank Pym.

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »

but Nick Spencer can't help himself and gets super preachy when writing stuff like this and I had hoped he could rein himself in but whoops nope he got all preachy in the preview story

Does that mean Winter Soldier is ending?

Because if so it sucks

Winter Soldier is great and I don't want to read about Nick Boring and Phil Snore

• Options

Does that mean Winter Soldier is ending?

Because if so it sucks

Winter Soldier is great and I don't want to read about Nick Boring and Phil Snore

• Options
    No, Winter Soldier is still going on. It is just that Bucky is also in Secret Avengers.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Nick Dreary and Phil Boreson.

Christ, if you're going to do it, do it RIGHT.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular

Devin Grayson kind of did that for her OYL Nightwing, but it was terrible like 85% of her run.

And it kinda happened in Avengers/Thunderbolts that Waid wrote, where Tony went undercover as Cobalt Man but it was more a subplot.

• Options
    good work there Undead Scottsman

exactly Nick Dreary and Phil Boreson!

also wooo Winter Soldier

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular

Preachy how?

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    "America is going downhill and we are all bloated and lazy and blah blah"

It isn't entirely inaccurate but dude I just want to read fun spy books

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

Devin Grayson kind of did that for her OYL Nightwing, but it was terrible like 85% of her run.

And it kinda happened in Avengers/Thunderbolts that Waid wrote, where Tony went undercover as Cobalt Man but it was more a subplot.

That wasn't OYL Nightwing. OYL Nightwing was Bruce Jones's abomination

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Basically

we know the world sucks Nick

you don't have to tell us all the time

Solar on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Keith wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »

That wasn't OYL Nightwing. OYL Nightwing was Bruce Jones's abomination

My bad, wasn't there a time skip with the mafia thing too? Dixon's great Year One story and then undercover mafia?

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    See I actually buy that just fine

Way going OH MAN THIS SUPER BADASS TEAM YES I CAN PUT THEM TOGETHER IN THE SAME BOOK and then forgetting to actually give them a compelling reason to exist is something I can see happening quite easily

I mean the dude created Daken. Who, admittedly, later became an awesome character. But when he first showed up it was basically Wolverine has a son with some sick tats and a mohawk and also a wristclaw, fuckers.

One day they are going to write a book where someone fights a weapon x guy who just spends four pages snkting claws from his arm. Dude just staring in disbelief the entire time shocked at this stunning twist.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Claws from the claws dimension.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Nah, it'll be Wolverine's long lost brother who extrudes several thousand adamantium spikes out of his back.

He'll be named Porcupine.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Dont you get it Logan? It was you! You created claws!

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular

I think the original X-Factor, when they called themselves the X-Terminators, was something like this.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Sort of. They pretended to be mutant hunters.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    isn't incognito that book

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Incognito is pretty great

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    White ops teams. For when bad people want to do good things but can't.

"This orphanage paid for by Venom Iron Fist."

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Langly wrote: »

Is it? I don't recall finishing the first series.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

That was the whole original concept of Batman and the Outsiders v2 that Outsiders v3 set up where Batman was going to be mission control by com link and the team became double-agent supervillians/terrorists/etc to shut down criminal organizations from deep inside. DC after getting the first three or four issue previews before it started decided it was too 'dark', delayed it, and changed the writer from Tony Bedard who was going to write that story to Chuck Dixon who made it into just another dumb yet another team book while also mostly ignoring the history/character growth from the previous issues in Outsiders v3.

I was kinda upset when that happened because it was my most looked forward to comic book.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options

Is it? I don't recall finishing the first series.

yeah he goes undercover as a bad guy

• Options
    and I mean he is a former bad guy as well so it's like a bad guy who becomes good and then pretends to be bad again

• Options
    To Catch A Thief

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular

The Shroud.

Semi-obscurity, ho!

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Hickman's Avengers is going to knock my shit well and truly out

got a friend who writes about comics, he got his review copy already

he confirms that this is what hickman's avengers does

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular

not....really? the second one maybe but i'd say Sleeper is about a good guy pretending to be a bad guy before Incognito

• Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited December 2012

Check out Brubaker and Phillips' Sleeper. It does the concept so well.

There's two trades for the whole thing and the Omnibus comes out March 2013!

http://www.amazon.com/Sleeper-Omnibus-Ed-Brubaker/dp/1401238033/ref=sr_1_fed0_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1354634594&sr=1-2&keywords=brubaker+sleeper

EDIT: Damn, beat by two hours.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular

It's the whole memory-suppressing part of the team's concept that gives me pause.

• Options
    Well that ties into it too

The idea of SHIELD having a team of spy superheroes? Great!

SHIELD being a hilariously DEEP MORAL GRAY AREA government organization who mindwipes these heroes that would probably be happy to help anyways? Significantly less great!

The thing above written by Nick Spencer? Please god no

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I'd read it but I'm busy sticking angry wasps up my arse that day

anyway Hickman already did the best secret SHIELD superheroes book anyway

This discussion has been closed.