As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Preparing for LSAT - Prep classes or no, and which one if so?

SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
About a month or so ago I took a diagnostic LSAT with Princeton Review, knowing nothing about the LSAT walking in (I also forgot to bring a pencil). I scored a 163, which I figure is in the category of "okay, but could do better."

I'm looking into prep classes, and though I'm rather skeptical of them, I think they might be a good idea.

Doing a quick search online, there are good things being said about Testmasters and Powerscore, but neither have dates available for me. The decision seems to be between Kaplan and Princeton Review.

So...

1) Should I? It's not really a matter of cost so much as a 'is it even worth the time'?
2) Kaplan or Princeton Review? Any experiences with either?
3) Any other general suggestions?

I'm in Canada, and I'd need a Toronto location that starts in May.

Thanks, guys. <3

signature.png
Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
SilverWind on

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Personally, I didn't do a prep class. I just bought a book of practice tests, and did a shitload of them. If money didn't matter, I probably would have done a class, though I've been told by someone that teaches them that most the stuff they teach is just general test-taking tips (if you can eliminate at least one of the answers, you should guess; do the easy questions first, and skip the hard ones to come back to later).

Thanatos on
  • Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If you got a 163 on your first exposure to the LSAT you don't need to take a class. Since it's not a test to measure knowledge but rather ability, there isn't much you'll get from a class other than an understanding of how to approach the various question types. With a score like yours there are two possibilities: either you already understand what to do, or you got really lucky. Unless you have good reason to believe the latter is the case, you might as well just buy some books and do the practice tests included. If you find your scores dipping below 160, then consider taking a class.

Grid System on