As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PATV] Wednesday, July 11, 2012 - Extra Credits Season 4, Ep. 21: The Hero’s Journey (Part

2»

• NamesplosionNamesplosion Registered User new member
    If you look at the steps of the heroes journey, it becomes apparent that the Legend of Zelda franchise does an amazing job of following the heroes journey. If you take a look at just the first game you can see that it follows nearly every step, starting with the cave with the old man, talking to the old man constitutes the Call to adventure and then the refusal of the call is brought after the supernatural aid (AKA the wooden sword that shoots laser beams), the refusal to the call is brought as the compulsion to explore the world rather than finding the way to advance through the adventure, and the metaphorical invisible wall pulling you back is the fact that so much of the world is unexplorable without certain key items or prior knowledge of how to advance. The Supernatural Aid (as spoken of earlier) exists not only as the wood sword but as everything you obtain throughout the experience from heart containers to the flippers, but it could also be argued that the supernatural aid was the beings that give you the items (AKA the dungeons, the boss monsters, the old man, the old woman, and Zelda), but we should move on. The crossing of the threshold is the point at which you begin fighting monsters (or arguably the first dungeon). The Belly of The Whale is the point at which you begin to feel like the world is empty and the visuals make the world seem deserted, this also continues ever so slightly throughout the rest of the game. The road of trials arguably either at the first dungeon or the path to the second dungeon. The Meeting With The Goddess is represented by the meeting with Zelda (or something else, I'm not sure about this one). The Woman as Temptress is the point at which it becomes extremely tempting to give up and stop looking for the next dungeon or whatever it is you are trying to do. Meeting with the father is represented as getting that last item you need to become strong enough to defeat Ganon and save Zelda. Apotheosis is the point at which you become strong enough to enter Ganon's Lair and Defeat him. The Return is simply the point at which the Triforce is obtained and Zelda is saved.

• NamesplosionNamesplosion Registered User new member
    If you look at the steps of the heroes journey, it becomes apparent that the Legend of Zelda franchise does an amazing job of following the heroes journey. If you take a look at just the first game you can see that it follows nearly every step, starting with the cave with the old man, talking to the old man constitutes the Call to adventure and then the refusal of the call is brought after the supernatural aid (AKA the wooden sword that shoots laser beams), the refusal to the call is brought as the compulsion to explore the world rather than finding the way to advance through the adventure, and the metaphorical invisible wall pulling you back is the fact that so much of the world is unexplorable without certain key items or prior knowledge of how to advance. The Supernatural Aid (as spoken of earlier) exists not only as the wood sword but as everything you obtain throughout the experience from heart containers to the flippers, but it could also be argued that the supernatural aid was the beings that give you the items (AKA the dungeons, the boss monsters, the old man, the old woman, and Zelda), but we should move on. The crossing of the threshold is the point at which you begin fighting monsters (or arguably the first dungeon). The Belly of The Whale is the point at which you begin to feel like the world is empty and the visuals make the world seem deserted, this also continues ever so slightly throughout the rest of the game. The road of trials arguably either at the first dungeon or the path to the second dungeon. The Meeting With The Goddess is represented by the meeting with Zelda (or something else, I'm not sure about this one). The Woman as Temptress is the point at which it becomes extremely tempting to give up and stop looking for the next dungeon or whatever it is you are trying to do. Meeting with the father is represented as getting that last item you need to become strong enough to defeat Ganon and save Zelda. Apotheosis is the point at which you become strong enough to enter Ganon's Lair and Defeat him. The Return is simply the point at which the Triforce is obtained and Zelda is saved.

• MycroMycro Registered User new member
    Come to think of it, The Sands Of Time-Trilogy does this very well, I find. Especially the first and third game. Heh. didn't notice

• RicoRodriguezRicoRodriguez Registered User new member
    I don't think Journey skips Women as Temptress, actually. Rather it is subtle like the Refusal of the Call. Before you cross the large cloth bridge on the snowy mountain there is a room that, when all of the tablets are activated, becomes warm and defrosts you. It's subtle because at this point as a player you want to see the end of the game and quickly move on but I think everyone can agree that there is something tempting about sitting by a warm fire on a cold night.

• PiggiePiggie Registered User regular
    I find it interesting that you guys never mentioned what is likely the most universal example of the hero's journey, The Legend of Zelda. So many of the drawings in Part 1 were drawn from it, it's just kind of interesting that you didn't even mention how the steps are represented similarly in basically every Zelda game. I realize that at this point they're basically too obvious but, since I (like many gamers) don't own a Playstation 3 and therefore have never played Journey, it would've been nice to at least mention something more universal.

Of course, the episode was still great. <3

• FjonanFjonan Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=S684RQHzmGA&NR=1 Straight from the creator. You were exactly right. Fascinating speech.

• KexructKexruct Registered User new member
    I was so happy about seeing The Duke of Ankh, His Grace, Sir Samuel Vimes that I created an account just to say thank you to Extra Credits for making that reference.

• bolatterbolatter Registered User new member
    I can'count on one hang the times that I have cried since I was a teenager. The end of this game claimed a finger. Now I won't play it when anyone is in the room just in case ;).

• pietromoletipietromoleti Registered User new member
    There's a section in the entrance to the mountains where the wind blows and you have to wait or you fall down the corridor. I played Journey five times and every time someone fell and the companion came down to "help" them, so they can at least be near each other and don't get lost. That might be a tiny Meeting With The Goddess.