Options

Extremely Average

Extremely AverageExtremely Average Registered User new member
edited July 2012 in Artist's Corner
Hi just some information my name is anthony, i have followed penny arcade for years but never on the forum because in all honesty i'm not much of a forum person. But in the past year i got into drawing comics and felt the need to get on some forums, mainly for some opinions on what i draw and also help in improving my work especially on computers because i am not really good with programs. Anyway here are links to the things i have got up already and 3 comics that are personal favourites of mine so yeah check them out thank you.
http://extremely-average.tumblr.com/
http://extremelyaverage.deviantart.com/
11alwmu.jpg
ip9xmb.jpg
18iq9i.jpg

Extremely Average on

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Couple of questions to help folks help you:

-What is your goal in drawing (personal fun, professional development, just doodling around, etc)?
    -What are you using to make these?
    -Do you have any non-digital/non-comic art to share so folks can give you better pointers?

• Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Hi! Welcome to the forums.

Are you drawing these with a mouse or a tablet? Either way, spending time practicing/refining your drawing ability and familiarizing yourself with anatomy and with traditional media will find its way into your digital work & cartooning -- although digital does have its own intrinsic learning curve that also just requires practice. Your coloring looks like you're doing it all on one layer; there are a number of ways to handle lineart/coloring but as a general catch-all it's better to keep your lineart separate, on a top layer, and color beneath it to alleviate all those white jaggles, etc..

You can instantly take these up a notch by hand-lettering them or grabbing an appropriate comic lettering font from Blambot or somewhere.

Humor-wise game jokes are sort of tired and impossible for me to look at with fresh eyes at this point, but your second comic shows a basic sense of comic timing/paneling that you can build on.

EDIT: I somehow missed Enc's post but yeah those questions are a good way to help us give you more helpful feedback.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    histronichistronic Registered User regular
    I really dig the art style, but you may want to change the text up. I had a hard time reading some of it.

WiiU Friend Code: rlinkmanl
    PSN: rlinkmanl
  • Options
    Extremely AverageExtremely Average Registered User new member
    thanks for all this yes i am using gimp at the moment but i am not really that good at it, i dont understand the whole layers thing and do it all on one due to that confusion. Also the text was the best i could find on gimp at the moment so i have stuck with it.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Couple of questions to help folks help you:

-What is your goal in drawing (personal fun, professional development, just doodling around, etc)?
    -What are you using to make these?
    -Do you have any non-digital/non-comic art to share so folks can give you better pointers?