As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Amps and Volts (and frying electronics)

DracilDracil Registered User regular
edited July 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So I got a new portable battery that has two USB outs, one at 1amps (regular USB) and one at 2amps (for ipads which require 2amps).

My understanding is for a regular device, say my phone, I should be able to plug it into either port and it would be fine, since the volts are the same. But my friend thinks the extra amp would fry the device.

So, is it safe or not to plug a 1amp input device to the 2amp port?

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
Dracil on

• Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    It's fine. The amp rating is how much current can be drawn from that port, but a device might draw less current. Otherwise most of your devices would get fried when you plugged them into a typical outlet, which are generally connected to 15, 20, or 30 amp breakers.

• Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    Seconded, amperage ratings on power ports or outlets are of the power available. Amperage ratings on electronic devices indicate the maximum potential power that can be consumed.

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    Both posters are correct. An iPad will also be fine on either out, but it'll charge at half the rate on the 1A one.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png