As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend me a new Xbox 360/PS3 game (Solved)

LankyseanLankysean Registered User regular
edited July 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So I need me a new epic game, I have both Xbox 360 and PS3. I'm not really too sure what I'm looking for but I do know I'm trying to pick something up that I can play for a reasonably long time. I don't really care what genre either I like racing, RPGs, FPSs, and adventure games anything really... just nothing too puzzley because I'm pretty stupid. Also, something pre-owned would be better as I'm very broke.

Just to give you an idea of games I've really enjoyed here's a small list: Fallout 1-3 (even Vagas), Skyrim, Assassins Creed, Alan Wake, Mafia 2, GTA (all of them), Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, Uncharted 1-3, Half life 2, Bioshock, Diablo 3, Torch Light and Portal 1&2.

Recommendations?

Lankysean on

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Batman: Arkham Asylum and Arkham City

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    CobellCobell Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Batman: Arkham Asylum and Arkham City

I'm going to have to second both these games.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    saints row 3, max payne 3, left 4 dead 2

• Options
    Beat both Batman: Arkham's, they where good but short. I beat Asylum in under 10 hours. I already beat all the Saints Row's, Max Payne and Left 4 deads. So far these are all good suggestions I just happened to played these all already. Keep um coming!!!

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Spelunky, Metro 2033, Dead Space 1 & 2?

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    If you're not averse to competition and can play online (though it's not required) then a fighting game probably the best value for money you can ask for.

Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown was released on psn and xbla recently for around $15us and comes with some nice tutorials. The execution requirements in the game are not that high, but the systems are quite deep. It's also perfectly playable on a pad. Same goes for Soulcalibur 5, which also happens to have the best online of any fighting game yet released.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »

This is a good list if the OP hasn't played them yet

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Orogogus wrote: »

Beat those, other than Spelunky I'm going to give that a go as they have a free to play version on their website.

And Page-, thanks for the ideas but I can't really afford a pad and I don't much care for online gaming or I'd pick up the newest call of duty.

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Pads are regular controllers. The other ones are usually called sticks.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    Just Cause 2 and/or Red Faction Geurilla
    Both are open-world games about breaking or blowing up everything.

• Options
    corky842 wrote: »
    Just Cause 2 and/or Red Faction Geurilla
    Both are open-world games about breaking or blowing up everything.

Beat those also, I actually have a large game collection. Anyone try the new Skyrim DLC?

• Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    Can I assume you already played Lost Odyssey? Because yeah. It's cheap and good. I just had somebody pick up a copy and it was $12/13 used.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    There's a Skyrim thread in G&T.

It might be easier if you can just list out all the recent games you've played; I'm sensing a trend in the recommendations. Can you use PC game recommendations too? You listed Dungeon Crawl, and mentioned downloading the free version of Spelunky.

• Options
    Professor FuzzlesProfessor Fuzzles Not a furry, just sayin' FuzztopiaRegistered User regular
    Red dead redemtion should be pretty cheap and its pretty big and all kinds of fun.

• Options
    RaernRaern Registered User regular
    Dark Souls

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Mass effect trilogy?

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    The infamous games are pretty awesome, and cheap.

Fable as well. i think the most recent one you can get new for dirt cheap.

• Options
    histronichistronic Registered User regular
    I just bought a PS3 a few months ago with about 10 games, one of those games being Battlefield 3. I have barely touched the other 9 I've been so busy with it. Tons of fun especially if you are playing with friends online.

WiiU Friend Code: rlinkmanl
    PSN: rlinkmanl
  • Options
    PantshandshakePantshandshake Registered User regular
    Dragon's Dogma and Prototype 2 have been treating me quite well. Also the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer every once in a while.

• Options
    So yeah, I have a macbook pro. It has windows 7 on it (boot camped) but it's not the best gaming machine ever so I'd just assume not play too many games on it. I've never played Dark Souls, I'll check that out. I'm not of big fan of Mass Effect, don't know why but the first one was lost on me.

Sorry for the late response I was sleeping. Anyway the list of games I currently own:
    Fallout 1-3 (even Vagas), Skyrim, Assassins Creed, Alan Wake, Mafia 2, GTA (all of them), Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, Uncharted 1-3, Half life 2, Bioshock, Diablo 3, Torch Light, Portal 1&2, Blur, Max Payne 3, Bulletstorm, Twisted Metal, Metro 2033, Dead Rising 1&2, Left4Dead 1&2, Saints Row 1-3, Halo 1-3, Crackdown 1&2, Dead Island, Boarderlands, Child of Eden, Crysis 1&2, Battlefield 2&3, F.e.a.r. 1-3, Burnout 2-paradise, Killzone 1-3, Call of duty all of them but the newest one, The orange box, Resident evil 1-5, Dead Space 1&2, Need for speed Hot pursuit, Splinter cell conviction, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Red Faction all of them, Mortal Kombat, Valkyria Chronicles, the Katamari games, Infamous 1&2, Fable 2&3, Red Dead Redemption

• Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    You can probably pick up a pre owned copy of dark souls. It's been out for awhile. I highly recommend it as a time wasting device. There is even an expansion coming out next month for it.

I take it since you own/play diablo 3, you have a computer capable of running TF2. You should get TF2, it is Free to play on PC and I currently have 400+hours logged on that game.

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Definitely get Dragon's Dogma.

• Options
    PantshandshakePantshandshake Registered User regular
    Had some more time to think about it.

I've recently enjoyed Spectral Force 3, Operation: Darkness, Civilization Revolution, Dragon Age (One and Two), Resonance of Fate, Marvel Ultimate Alliance (one and two), and The Last Remnant. And by 'recently,' I mean in the past year or so. Granted, these aren't new titles, sorry if you've already played them.

• Options
    So I'm going to pick up Dark souls tomorrow, reviews and videos i've seen of it look pretty neat. And I can get it pre-owned for like $25 with is just in my budget. I'll keep this open for awhile longer, maybe I'll find something else fun to play.

• Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    Robes wrote: »
    I take it since you own/play diablo 3, you have a computer capable of running TF2. You should get TF2, it is Free to play on PC and I currently have 400+hours logged on that game.

On this note, the steam summer sale is going on right now and OP could get some rock ass games for dirt cheap if he watches the flash sales.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2012
    edit: woah, I just had a total post misfire.

Iruka on
  • Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    Lankysean wrote:
    So I need me a new epic game, I have both Xbox 360 and PS3.

I have both machines also but the 360 has gone unused for a long time now so I shall recommend some PS3 games.

GT5
    That to me is the best racing game ever. Great tracks and more than a 1000 different cars from small family cars to top end race cars. Lots of on-line racing fun to had also.

Little Big Planet
    It's a platform game but with so much charm it is unbelievable and with an on-line following which means there is an unlimited amount of great user made stuff as well.

Flowers
    Something very different - check out the demo.

Motorstorm
    There is a series of these games. Over the top racing from off-road motorbikes to Monster trucks.

Wipeout
    More racing but with futuristic rocketship like racers. Very fast.

Also since you mention some PC games I gotta mention a couple of games on that platform:

Deus Ex
    The original game which is some years old now but with great gameplay and the graphics is acceptable.

STALKER
    Actually three games. Pretty amazing ones and with lots of user made add on stuff to enhance graphics and more.

Max Payne 1&2
    #3 is just out and now is a good time to play the two first. Great stories and very well made games.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    LordFizzlebeefLordFizzlebeef Registered User regular
    Valkyria Chronicles for PS3 is up there as one of my all time favorites. It's a turn-based third person shooter that looks stunning and was really fun to play through. It's been out for a while so it should be pretty cheap as well.

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    Page- wrote: »
    Same goes for Soulcalibur 5, which also happens to have the best online of any fighting game yet released.

it actually just has high input buffers and few tight links

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    So I picked up Dark Souls, Im not that far into it but it seems like pretty much exactly what I wanted. Thanks! *CLOSED*