As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stuff & Nonsense... mostly Nonsense [NSFW]

124»

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    "We'll Ascend together" kinda terrifies me, But in general I think that these are coming out really nicely! The leg fix does help a lot, to bad it was past due.

• Options
    McMastaMcMasta ProvoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Yeah, don't drink any Kool-aid that guy gives you.

And, what are they doing in that forest anyways?

McMasta on
  • Options
    beckerskullsbeckerskulls Registered User regular
    Haha! I honestly hadn't even realized it, but now that you point it out... wow, yes. I can't unsee it either.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Alice in Wonderland themed illustration of my cousin's daughter, but right now it's looking far too dull to be Wonderland. I'd like to make the composition/landscape a bit more interesting, but without getting terribly busy.

x92tqqz8ptat.jpg

beckerskulls on
  • Options
    @beckerskulls Sorry I got busy and forgot to respond here, but I find the forms on those trees to be pretty weak. Your other trees have a bit of character to them, but these feel a little overly simple. You may want to consider some internal forms:
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/314548355196796292/
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/94997873363549300/

I think you can retain the simple style but not have it feel quite so flat. You can also push the silhouettes:
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/353040058267432930/

or push the graphic nature of them:
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/201676889538730107/

• Options
    edited August 2017
    You're so right! The trees could be way more awesome. Love those examples! I'll work on that.

Meanwhile, I had three deadlines somehow converge on one week and life has been chaos. Here's the first one. They wanted to be extra fancy and wear plaid, and for those reasons, I think this is my favorite thing I've done recently.

jbo1j757crmw.jpg

beckerskulls on
  • Options
    Cute!

You probably done have time to fix this with your deadline apocalypse, but the dudes arms should probably be showing up somewhere, unless he has them behind him. The right one could be down by his wifes side, but I cant seem to mentally excuse the left one for being totally unseen.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    You're right, thanks for pointing that out! Is this better, or does it look weird? I can't tell anymore.

qqcuyrrnty9g.jpg

Also, deadlines 2 and 3.

crpfx4p40z3x.jpg

04sqgl3h88ws.jpg
    Hopefully no one notices my lazy fix was to use the same hand in all 3 pictures :? Next time I promise to take actual reference

beckerskulls on
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Whew, it's been a while. Finally finished up that Alice piece. Crits welcome.
    jeooi7zv6yz2.jpg

beckerskulls on
  • Options
    those trees came out waaay better! I like it.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Thanks! Your feedback was really helpful on that.

A couple spot illustrations for that one magazine
    a8hmjdh7lohg.jpg

zk63t17xn7lz.jpg

And a new project in the works: a blank wall in my kitchen inspired me to paint a series of vegetables. Not exactly earth-shattering, but I'm really excited about it. I'd like to go for botanical illustration meets American folk art. And I'm actually going to finish this one! 6 weeks and counting...

owy7oey6syjs.jpg

8ocq7t7xudie.jpg

rshgh5k8q6br.jpg

igfb3tkc4c4h.jpg

And I'll have one more, probably a leafy green for variety, possibly chard. Kale might be trendier and all, but I've always thought chard looks really enticing.

beckerskulls on
  • Options
    I looove those veggies! I would love to see pics of them painted on the wall.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Quick color studies. Hopefully these compositions will make sense together, design-wise. Getting excited and nervous to finally paint something and actually finish a personal project for the first time in... a really long time.

n1zcxp2yn7n2.jpg

beckerskulls on
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Final drawing and color study.

196atphfpwc1.png
    kvclt164u5qz.png

beckerskulls on
  • Options
    !! These are adorable! They'd fit right into to like, Southern Living or something.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Thanks!

Here's the painting mostly done. I'll probably go in and lighten up those sanded edges a bit. (And get a better scan of it). Acrylic, prismacolor, and oil on hardboard panel.

zra9bfwx9xf0.jpg

And, up next: radish. Here's a drawing and color study.

86qvkd1wrknx.jpg

dzjctwywylsq.jpg

beckerskulls on
  • Options
    Nice! Really wonderful polish on the carrot. The foliage is amazingly sharp.

I feel like the nib at the bottom is slightly blurry and reminiscent of pencil lines, but thats a small nitpick and it may not be worth touching up. I'd love to see a time lapse of you painting these! really cool stuff.

• Options
    Red_ArremerRed_Arremer Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Just went through the whole thread and your improvement is really visible! That vegetable set looks sweet (the finished carrot and radish look like they'd be perfect in a cook/gardening book) but the cabbage looks a lot like a butt to me.

Red_Arremer on
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Thanks for the feedback, guys! The cabbage is rather butt-like, lol. Will def fix that at some point. So I finally finished the first three of the series. 3 more to go!

8430l4fa6e8y.png

wmhwa2leierd.png

7vgswy9c7cge.png

beckerskulls on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    The most beautiful vegetables of all time.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Well, thank you! The goal (besides hanging them in my kitchen) is to do a small kickstarter to fund some prints and fridge magnets to sell. Here are the product images I've come up with so far for the campaign page. Video is in the works. Photography is not something I'm great at, so I had to photoshop quite a bit.

qlg7ddpbtvcw.png

9fov9zrdc08b.png

0ekdcoe58cru.png

beckerskulls on
  • Options
    Are you going to do more than 5?

• Options
    6 total. The last one I haven't picked yet, but will probably let backers vote on it.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Slowly but surely. Here's a drawing and color study for painting 4/6.
    xbbdiuvkyi45.png

beckerskulls on
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    As someone who only recently just figured out the joy of planing and finishing projects, seeing your progress on this is really cool!!

Glad that you're seeing this through!

Edit: Just saw your kickstarter video. Really cute, and well done! Glad to see you're almost funded too!

Sublimus on
  • Options
    Thanks, @Sublimus! I've had a lot of unfinished personal projects, so it feels really good to be seeing this one through (even if it's taking forever).

Glad you liked the video! Almost 75%, so it's getting there :)

• Options
    edited August 2017

4mrd9t4mzw0z.png

Final drawing and color study for #5

j2hutgd19hi2.jpg

beckerskulls on
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Finished these last November, spent December shipping rewards and about a month later popped out a baby who (surprise!) has largely required my attention since then (hence the hiatus). Hoping to ease back into Art soon, though. At the very least, I should be doing some figure studies.

kyuoh8jxtclf.png

5mq8b7ox11zh.png

Together at last:

skuygb5vjk3e.png

The video:

https://youtu.be/Ylnb-p-vHDQ

Anyway, it was an interesting experience doing the Kickstarter... and a whole buttload of work, for sure. Now I have some inventory I can hopefully unload online and at farmer's markets/craft fairs. Most of all, I'm just glad I finished something. Hurray!

And, because I just can't help myself:

Totally worth it.

ho3kwbhe51ee.jpg

beckerskulls on
  • Options
    Glad the kickstarter worked out for you! Even if it was a load of work, these illustrations are an excellent result!

• Options
    Thanks, Iruka! Haven't done much since, but I'm determined to eke out some more work. Been revisiting that nursery art series I started three years ago, and figure I'll do one at a time for however long it takes. Trying to keep it fairly simple. Here's a messy color study for the first one.

8efeaplul23s.png