Options

[3D Printers] - Now with Auto-Calibration!

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    I wasn't trying to jump on gihgel, sorry man. It just set off my pet peeve that I continuously have when I go looking into 3d printers(from the manufacturer, not users). The frog is definitely impressive!

Because I love my PA forumers. http://i.imgur.com/jxI4hMm.jpg (linked for huge)
    Gihgehls wrote: »

Gigehls how hard was putting your aluminatus together / getting it tweaked? Mines still in the box since I'm not sure how long an effort I'd be committing to in the initial setup.

Have you been reading the Trinity Labs Google group? How long it takes you will totally depend on your level of experience with RepRaps and, unfortunately, how many pieces your kit is missing. The first batch of A1's had all sorts of missing things. If your kit is complete and you are comfortable with homebrew documentation, it might take you 2-4 hours. Actually the documentation is supposedly pretty good right now. When I put mine together all I had was the google sketchup file as reference.

@emissary42, I think the base color is a sort of greenish brown, but it has little gold reflective flecks in it. In normal light, the flecks are lit from all directions so it looks pretty even, but under a flash the reflection gets more directional, as well as the camera adjusting the exposure resulting in more contrast.

Thanks for taking the extra effort, it is actually at least twice as small as I thought it was and is more impressive!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    Man, I feel like I really missed out on not sticking with CAD in highschool. I used to love those CAD classes and was one of the only students to actually take all 4 CAD classes the school offered and aced them all. Bah...

• Options
    CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    v4W1Uze.jpgquqs0et.gif

No resin until Friday though.

GxewS.png
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    I want one of those really bad.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    please make us as jealous as possible. I want to see what that sucker is really capable of

• Options
    CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    Sorry about not posting about the Form 1. Haven't had as much use for it as I'd like.

Anyway, here's Ice (the Stark Family Greatsword), now re-purposed as a cocktail pick:
    VJjTQml.jpg
    And more pictures of stuff here.

I originally planned to use it to make miniatures for people, but haven't really been going down that path.

GxewS.png
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    CmdPrompt wrote: »
    Sorry about not posting about the Form 1. Haven't had as much use for it as I'd like.

Anyway, here's Ice (the Stark Family Greatsword), now re-purposed as a cocktail pick:
    VJjTQml.jpg
    And more pictures of stuff here.

I originally planned to use it to make miniatures for people, but haven't really been going down that path.

That madcat is so awesome. My place would be decorated with stuff like that if I could afford one of these printers.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    For some reason I am being very slow with my 3D printer build. I think part of it is I just don't like working in my basement - it's cold and dark down there.

But the current snag is the damn retaining screws for the faceplates of one of the stepper motors stripped out the threads in the stepper motor mounting plate. Seems to be a problem with the stepper (although I think most people also elect to use longer screws through both plates) so I think I'll take it as an opportunity to swap in some stainless steel screws to counter-load the stepper to the aluminium on both sides properly).

• Options
    Well, threaded rod fixed the screws. Both Y-axis steppers had stripped their threads so I did the replacement on both sides. Everything's nice and solid again.

• Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I caught the Delta printer bug after watching this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eNz1l56H5E
    That's a Kossel Mini auto-leveling, which will reduce setup time to virtually nothing before beginning a print (which is a HUGE plus).

Right now I've almost got a CAD model of a Kossel Mini variant using Aluminum plate & milled Polycarbonate parts drawn up. With any luck, I'll be able to start cutting them this week.

Emissary42 on
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    I was wondering when a printer would finally get automatic leveling in it, as that seems like one of the biggest hurdles towards getting a 3D printer that could just start working straight from the box.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Foomy wrote: »
    I was wondering when a printer would finally get automatic leveling in it, as that seems like one of the biggest hurdles towards getting a 3D printer that could just start working straight from the box.

There are only a few right now, but it will quickly become standard; I think the UP Plus 2 is another model with auto-leveling capability. I know a guy who ended up working at MAKE Magazine and he said the machines they tested for their special 3D printer issue this year (due in mid-November) with auto leveling were nice to use.

On another note, for those not afraid of tinkering and troubleshooting, Printrbot is having a sale to commemorate one year since fulfilling all of their Kickstarter orders: 10% off of all of their products.

• Options
    I'm sure it will become standard, or at least really hope so. It doesn't even seem like that hard of a thing to implement. You either have some extra stepper motors on the bed, or just adjust where the head prints based upon either some form of digital caliper, or a laser range finder. I've wondered why it's taken until now to get them into the machine designs, seeing as constantly leveling the bed and adjusting prints seem to be one the biggest complaints about using home 3d printers.

• Options
    Hurr. Was about to plug my Aluminatus into my laptop, saw sparks. The USB adapter is somehow at 24V relative to my laptop's power port. Nothing got damaged but that was close.

I've no idea what's causing this, and neither does the internet so I guess I'm stuck digging all the electronics out and testing piece by piece.

• Options
    Decided "you know, I don't really want to risk having a half-functioning DIY printer when I already have one of those", so I sprang for one of the new Printrbot Jr. v2's. It just arrived today, and after poking around for a few hours it's ready to make things; not too shabby for the price.

I've got some big plans once my DIY machine is back in full working order again, maybe along the lines of making some molds for Urethane casting with one of the Soft PLA blends or some other exotic filament.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    MrDelish wrote: »

I am curious about this one. I was researching, and for a drip resin system, the resolution isn't great. Also they have 3 prototypes built total, so this is risky as hell. (Also we cant have KS's that are still going linked on the forums, so you might want to remove the link)

I might pick it up, for 100$ it seems like as long as I get _something_ it will be worth the risk.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ff7007ff7007 Pittsburgh, PARegistered User regular
    So I just got a Makerbot 2X for my classroom. Any advice on fun things to do with it to show off to the community at large? I'm working through Thingiverse and printing some small parts my students are making to start.

PSN: Rauhy FFRK: 9YYP Steam: Rauhy Battle.net: Rauhy#1977
  • Options
    WiFiPunkWiFiPunk Registered User regular
    MrDelish wrote: »
    This project is a risk, but I took it the moment I saw it earlier in the month.
    As long as it ships, worst case it sucks, and I immediately throw it up on ebay.

PAX East 2015 Status: Badge[X] Hotel[X] Car[X] Vacation[X]
  • Options
    Finally sat down and felt confident enough in my prep-work to set the Aluminatus to print. The heat bed is still disconnected which is not ideal for ABS, but it's printing great. Running the test cube now.

ABS definitely needs the heated bed though - the cold bed is leading to way too much warping at the edges.

Happy to finally have gotten this up and extruding though (probably could've done it anytime in the last few months, but sparks from the USB cable made me go through and check everything twice).

Definitely want to leverage this new power into having the printer build its own upgrades though - I want auto-bed levelling, which is now in Marlin and looks pretty simple to wire up, as well as a bed-height Z-home.

On the longer list are some new spindle mounts for my CNC. I'm tickled by the idea of having the two sit side by side and build things for each other.

• Options
    So, do I have a tale to tell. I was at CES a few weeks ago, in the 3D Printing TechZone. And holy crap, it was awesome. Lots of talking shop, discussing which other company's new stuff is better than some other company's, etc. Plus the whole 'you can't get to the food court without passing by LG's IMAX-sized 3D Display made of individual 4K 3D TVs' thing.

Some highlights:

3D Systems' big prosumer push: They've made big strides since last year's disappointing offerings (in terms of FDM/FFF), and their CubePro is essentially a discount Stratasys Dimension in all ways. Plus, printable candies!

MakerBot's overpriced offerings: While they add some nice features, they both increase machine price dramatically and don't add nearly as much functionality for the price as competitor companies; comparing the Replicator 2 and the new Replicator is probably the best way to show this off. The three biggest disappointments: no true auto-leveling functionality, still limiting themselves to a single type of filament material among a total of around 10-11 types of filament materials in existence, moving toward a system that supports only MakerBot brand filament with a nonstandard reel design.

Rise of the Resin Printers: Big ones, small ones, cheap ones, expensive ones. This is the start of the explosion in availability of printers that use photopolymer resins as their input material; tabletop gamers, rejoice!

On topics other than CES, Taulman 3D released a new material a little while back called T-Glase; it's a PET (read: water bottle material) filament that's food/bio safe, prints like PLA but at ABS temperatures and experiences far less curling or sagging. By all accounts it's pretty nice stuff to work with, and when I run low on material next I'll be picking some up to try out.

Full disclosure, I work for none of these companies.

• Options
    Oooh, thanks for the heads up on new materials.

I actually need to buy a whole bunch of filament (and resist the temptation to buy that Kickstarter filament extruder).

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    Speaking of different materials....
    Carbon fiber 3D printer: http://markforged.com/
    And the patent for metal laser sintering expires in February: http://www.tested.com/tech/3d-printing/456856-laser-sintering-3d-printing-patents-expiring-2014/

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    hsu wrote: »
    And the patent for metal laser sintering expires in February: http://www.tested.com/tech/3d-printing/456856-laser-sintering-3d-printing-patents-expiring-2014/

Interesting. CO2 lasers are pretty cheap off of Ebay...

• Options
    hsu wrote: »

Interesting. CO2 lasers are pretty cheap off of Ebay...

CO2 would work fine for a plastic SLS machine, but you're going to need a YAG laser to be able to do metals (different wavelength). The real trick isn't the laser though, it's the build chamber: to successfully produce good parts, the chamber must be maintained at 10C below the material's melting point (so you need a really, really stable PID controller and a very evenly heated furnace). At the same time, lasers, galvonometers, and all manner of other electrical components react poorly to being heated to those temperatures so you need to isolate them. Those two are probably the major part of why these machines are more expensive than other technologies.

• Options
    XixXix Miami/LosAngeles/MoscowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Does anybody know any places where you can send a 3D scan of something and have it printed in full color?

It seems like this should be some kind of business already but I'm having a hard time finding services.

Xix on
  • Options
    Xix wrote: »
    Does anybody know any places where you can send a 3D scan of something and have it printed in full color?

It seems like this should be some kind of business already but I'm having a hard time finding services.

shapeways?

• Options
    Shapeways does full color, but only on sandstone, which is a hard, but brittle material that should never get wet.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options

There are a ton of little service bureaus popping up to do this. I might be able to point you in the direction of a few if you can give me a geographic area; alternatively, if you have a Kinect and something like the Skanect software you can make a color scan and then submit it somewhere like Shapeways.

• Options
    Anywhere in West Coast close to LA area or the southeast United States would be great.

That Kinect Skanect thing looks promising, but i'm looking for a way to scan people in an instant so they are frozen in place. I'm thinking the best way is through photogrammetry and multiple cameras firing at once around them.

• Options
    Ideally for photogrammetry you get something like 40 simultaneous shots of the subject at all different angles, though sometimes you can get away with fewer. LA Noire's capture rig was basically a photogrammetry rig that ran at around 30 fps, and it's quite a sight to behold. Then again, you don't need a better camera than what a printer can reproduce (unless you want to store the scan for a good while as the technology advances) so that helps for cost.

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    I wish I had had the money to put in for that Form-1 Modeler. I really like the look and results of UV Resin Printing, much more than normal plastic.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    Emissary42 wrote: »
    Ideally for photogrammetry you get something like 40 simultaneous shots of the subject at all different angles, though sometimes you can get away with fewer. LA Noire's capture rig was basically a photogrammetry rig that ran at around 30 fps, and it's quite a sight to behold. Then again, you don't need a better camera than what a printer can reproduce (unless you want to store the scan for a good while as the technology advances) so that helps for cost.

What kind of cameras are sufficient? Does they have to be DSLRs?

40 cameras at $100 each comes out to about $4,000.. not bad I guess for a rig that captures people's full body.

• Options
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    I wish I had had the money to put in for that Form-1 Modeler. I really like the look and results of UV Resin Printing, much more than normal plastic.

There are others available or that will soon be available, like the DLP resin printers, for most likely ever falling prices. Give it about a half a year or so and machine prices should start to drop due to increased competition; resin has already begun to fall in cost, you can get some for around $30/Liter, which is competitive with filament machines.
    Emissary42 wrote: »

What kind of cameras are sufficient? Does they have to be DSLRs?

40 cameras at $100 each comes out to about $4,000.. not bad I guess for a rig that captures people's full body.

Really you only need as good a camera as you have a printer; after all, if you can't print a model above a certain resolution, why have a more detailed model? I believe the critical factor for most high-quality photogrametry rigs is keeping your subject properly focused and free from lens distortion, as anything like that will throw off your model's geometric accuracy. The reason some people opt for just using kinect-based rigs is their printers aren't able to resolve details finer than what a kinect can capture, both in terms of geometry and color.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    But can you rig a bunch of kinects to capture a subject from multiple angles simultaneously with a single key press?

Because otherwise, keeping a subject still and then waving a kinect all around them to capture their body seems like it would result in tons of little distortions due to people not being able to stand perfectly still.

Basically I want to be able to do what twinkind.com does, but I'm not sure what kind of rig they have set up. I don't know if that kind of resolution is possible with a kinect.

I know they use a Z-Corp printer.

Xix on
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Sorry to all the Cartesians here but i'm joining the Delta camp by building one of these. I have a Cartesian and I'm sick of it.

Any other Deltas on this thread who've built a printer?

Xix on
  • Options
    Got the new board for my printer

• Options
    edited March 2014
    But can you rig a bunch of kinects to capture a subject from multiple angles simultaneously with a single key press?

Because otherwise, keeping a subject still and then waving a kinect all around them to capture their body seems like it would result in tons of little distortions due to people not being able to stand perfectly still.

Basically I want to be able to do what twinkind.com does, but I'm not sure what kind of rig they have set up. I don't know if that kind of resolution is possible with a kinect.

I know they use a Z-Corp printer.

Well, to take multiple kinect scans at once is a thing that really works, you just have to vibrate them at varying frequencies and then fuse the models together. The other alternative is to use a turntable and rail (skip to about a minute in):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eKOEgXxdUw

Which produces pretty solid results too, without too much effort on the part of the subject.

From the looks of the twinkind site and a few articles, one aspect of their photogrammetry booth's 'secret sauce' is extremely uniform lighting to eliminate shadows in the part's coloration. Other than that I'm not sure of anything like the number or type of cameras they use.

Emissary42 on
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    Hey guys, I'm gonna be buying a 3D printer within the next two weeks hopefully, and I'd like any thoughts on it. As of now, I'm thining about the Makerbot Replicator, but I don't know a lot about the other companies and designs. Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on these?

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    The current Makerbots have bad reviews. In brief, ever since they got bought out by Stratasys, they went downhill, to the point where they laid off 20% of their workforce, due to poor sales.

iTNdmYl.png