As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Phalliad: PHALLIA VICTORIOUS!

• Options
    PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Gnasty wrote: »
    Senor Fish wrote: »
    I would change my vote for Johannen, but you know what? Even if he was thinking stupdily, haven't we all had a dumbass idea?

That my friends is one spy covering for the other spy.

I was gonna say that, actually. Not that I actually think they're spies (yet...if one of them turns out to be one we can always kill the other).

But anyway, I vote Rygar

Rygar is too much of a wild card to keep around.

I agree with Gnasty's logic, so I vote to execute Rygar

Plutonium on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited March 2007
    I thought about the obvious flaw in my plan. Two people will claim to be the chosen one, an assassin (trying to get all the seers and guardian info) and the actual hoplite who was chosen. The two chosen ones must be made to disclose the 'oracle' that cleared them in the first night. We have the guardians protect the two oracles and stake one of the 'cleared chosen ones.' The one who is not an assassin, we take their oracle to be the real one, and stake the other two as assassins (if they weren't already staked.) The third night we withdraw protection of the guardians from the fake oracle of course.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Rygar wrote: »
    I thought about the obvious flaw in my plan. Two people will claim to be the chosen one, an assassin (trying to get all the seers and guardian info) and the actual hoplite who was chosen. The two chosen ones must be made to disclose the 'oracle' that cleared them in the first night. We have the guardians protect the two oracles and stake one of the 'cleared chosen ones.' The one who is not an assassin, we take their oracle to be the real one, and stake the other two as assassins (if they weren't already staked.) The third night we withdraw protection of the guardians from the fake oracle of course.
    I really don't know why everyone wants to kill you.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    God, even I did a stupid this early on, and the village is throwing out a whole lot of stupid today. I hope we keep it together long enough for us to not actually fuck up and kill all our own.

We need to give the seers someone to seer anyway. I say seer me if you want, to see what it says. This may seem suspicious but I can assure you i'm not a special or a bad guy. Just a guy having a bad phalla day.

I apologise for my earlier idea by the way. It seemed to make sense in my head at the start, and then it slowly dissolved. With a few alterations (read: a lot of alterations) it may have worked though. (that's laughable no it wouldn't have)

I'm also guessing that the world goes to shit for us on day 3, and hopefully some sleeper roles will pop up on day 3.

Johannen on
  • Options
    Manning'sEquationManning'sEquation Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Last Son wrote: »
    I would change my vote for Johannen, but you know what? Even if he was thinking stupdily, haven't we all had a dumbass idea?

I'm not a spy. Would they really give a first timer the spy role?

I'm digging my own grave, aren't I?

*starts whistling while digging*

All the roles were given out randomly, with the exception of 3 spies whom Athlan picked, according to ElJeffe so its possibly for anyone to be a spy.

Strike Two!
    And what about you? Huh? Voting for Cass. What reason had you to do that? It's very suspicous. Just first thing going for someone who had done nothing. Why would you do that?

No one at the very beginning has any reason to vote for anyone. I just voted for her because she made me unhappy about a week earlier. However you have given me two very good reasons to vote for you.

Manning'sEquation on
  • Options
    Buzz BuzzBuzz Buzz Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It seems like Rygar's getting a bum rap here...yes, he went a little crazy in the castle, but it certainly seems like he's learned a bit more about how this goes. Also, if I were Athan, I don't know that I'd choose Rygar, since he had such a fascinating early game last time around when he held an item. I suppose bandwagoning someone is better than bandwagoning no one, but I wouldn't let the last game affect judgment too much.

Buzz Buzz on
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I really don't know why everyone wants to kill you.

The castle game in Debate & Discourse.

Smasher on
  • Options
    Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dudes. Come on. Are there ever good reasons to vote for a given person on the first day?

Grid System on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I give up. go ahead. Bandwagon me. You'll just be taking out one hoplite.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Only one person can be guarded a night, the guardians work on alternating nights.

What would happen in your scenario is that the true 'chosen one' and the assassin would both reveal their seer and the guardians would have to take a gamble on deciding who to protect, and if they chose the wrong one we would lose the real seer to the assassins.

edit:
    Buzz Buzz wrote:
    It seems like Rygar's getting a bum rap here...yes, he went a little crazy in the castle, but it certainly seems like he's learned a bit more about how this goes. Also, if I were Athan, I don't know that I'd choose Rygar, since he had such a fascinating early game last time around when he held an item. I suppose bandwagoning someone is better than bandwagoning no one, but I wouldn't let the last game affect judgment too much.

Only half the spies were chosen by Athan, the other 3 were randomly selected. So Rygar could still be a spy without being chosen specifically.

Last Son on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited March 2007
    So, what about the plan?

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I retract my vote for Manning'sEquation
    I vote for...PyschoLarry1

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So, what about the plan?

It's retarded and likely to get a seer killed, something you're quite good at.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Cantide wrote: »
    I always hate this first day, having to accuse people without any proof or solid reasoning. Well, here goes nothing...

I !vote for Elkamil.

I recall ElJeffe saying in the pregame thread that half of Athan's allies would be chosen at random, and the other half would be chosen by Athan. Whoever is playing Athan is far more likely to choose a well known forumer like Elkamil than a nobody.

I don't remember reading that anywhere. Are you sure he said it?
    Elkamil never contributes to Phallas and he's not like, terribly good at lying or being unsuspicious. I guess that would get him picked, but whatever. I don't think he's ideal 1st day execution bait.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    GnastyGnasty Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I'm not a spy. Would they really give a first timer the spy role?

I'm digging my own grave, aren't I?

*starts whistling while digging*

All the roles were given out randomly, with the exception of 3 spies whom Athlan picked, according to ElJeffe so its possibly for anyone to be a spy.

Strike Two!
    And what about you? Huh? Voting for Cass. What reason had you to do that? It's very suspicous. Just first thing going for someone who had done nothing. Why would you do that?

No one at the very beginning has any reason to vote for anyone. I just voted for her because she made me unhappy about a week earlier. However you have given me two very good reasons to vote for you.

Both of you are being stupid. Neither one of you has a good reason to vote for the other one. I realize thats how round 1 usually is, but we should at least be somewhat smart about who we eliminate. After what Rygar pulled during the Castle Phalla he seems like the most logical person to eliminate. He was a villager and he screwed over the village. For fun. So I say we stake him, and maybe we'll be able to draw some conclusions based on who the spies decide to kill.

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The only risk is that I could be an assassin.

Let's balance the risk of getting all our fucking specials exposed in a blood orgy to your pagan god contrasted with the reward of getting a bunch of people who say they're specials in contact with our actual specials.

So, no reward for a huge risk. Good plan.

The second plan is just as stupid as the first. After night one only one seer will know they can/can't trust person x, the other two are still blind. Anybody who is contacted by somebody claiming to be a seer has no way of validating it. Bad idea.

You really need to think these ideas through before you suggest we all go royally fuck ourselves. Until you demonstrate some willingness to do that I'm leaving my vote where it is. (To the rest of the thread, it'd like friends.)
    Also, go die in a hole you cunt. (that was a bit nasty of me. So, I change to "Your wrong and a paranoid fool")

I'm still correct and the only fools in Phalla are those who are insufficiently paranoid.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Dudes. Come on. Are there ever good reasons to vote for a given person on the first day?
    We can talk rationally and then we kill someone that says stupid things or that we agree is a monumental dick and wouldn't be any fun to have around for the rest of the came. Now, keep in mind that I am not a monumental dick, but playful.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    DA I retracted what i'd said about two pages ago (it may have been only one).

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Buzz Buzz wrote:

Only half the spies were chosen by Athan, the other 3 were randomly selected. So Rygar could still be a spy without being chosen specifically.

Yes, but then we're looking at a 4/60 chance compared to 7/60. It's less likely, for me at least, that Rygar's a spy based on his antics in the last Phalla. Everyone had an equal chance of being randomly chosen as a spy, but not everyone had an equal chance to be handpicked by Athan.

He also didn't really screw the villagers over for fun, he was trying to stay alive. He just happened to accidentally, and unfortunately, finger a seer.

Buzz Buzz on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    We can talk rationally
    That is an unconventional approach.

I like it.

I like it a lot.

Elendil on
  • Options
    NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Cantide wrote: »
    I always hate this first day, having to accuse people without any proof or solid reasoning. Well, here goes nothing...

I !vote for Elkamil.

I recall ElJeffe saying in the pregame thread that half of Athan's allies would be chosen at random, and the other half would be chosen by Athan. Whoever is playing Athan is far more likely to choose a well known forumer like Elkamil than a nobody.

Keep in mind that "known" is dependant on context, so who Athan is likely to choose depends a LOT on who Athan is. There are plenty of people playing this game that know one another much better than I know them. If one of them is Athan, they are likely to pick someone they know, but that wouldn't necessarily be someone known to me.

Nerissa on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I have an idea, not sure if it will work or not though.

Let's all decide to kill one particular Hoplite. If necessary I volunteer for the role. After I'm dead, chances are it will be revealed that all the people who died (including myself) were innocents. The person with the Staff of Asclepius can revive me and give me the staff. The guardians can protect me and I can revive people with the consensus of the people of Phallia.

If there's any doubt as to my status as a hoplite after I die (if the assassins kill one of their own to confuse the situation, or somehow an assassin dies otherwise) then a seer can check me out and verify me. He doesn't have to worry about outing himself because if the assassins kill him, I can revive him with the staff.

There's probably loads wrong with the plan, but it's a thought all the same.

Grid System on
  • Options
    Manning'sEquationManning'sEquation Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Let's all decide to kill one particular Hoplite. If necessary I volunteer for the role. After I'm dead, chances are it will be revealed that all the people who died (including myself) were innocents. The person with the Staff of Asclepius can revive me and give me the staff. The guardians can protect me and I can revive people with the consensus of the people of Phallia.

If there's any doubt as to my status as a hoplite after I die (if the assassins kill one of their own to confuse the situation, or somehow an assassin dies otherwise) then a seer can check me out and verify me. He doesn't have to worry about outing himself because if the assassins kill him, I can revive him with the staff.

You can only use the staff twice right?

Manning'sEquation on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Although that may confirm you and whoever have the staff are innocent, your network will have no seers or guardians in it. Also, then the staff will only have one use left.

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

See: Kingdoms of Phallacia, the execution of Squashua, day 1. :P

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    *ze plan*

Maybe it's twice per person...Nope. Twice and it becomes a cane.

A cane that you can beat people with...and poke dead bodies.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Aha! I knew I was missing something.

Grid System on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    *ze plan*

Maybe the cane is what we use to kill Athan with! Like, it becomes a pimp cane of sweet justice and we take to beating Athan to sweet death with it! :P

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I think we should try FWDogg's plan. If more than one oracle comes forward, we could probably assume that the spies will kill the real one. If they do it should show up in the death list, at which point the staff could be used to revive him. If the spies don't kill any of the supposed oracles, it complicates things, but the non-public oracles can always seer and hope to seer the right guy to form their network (and if they seer a bad guy they'll know that when the form the network).

Actually...maybe we shouldn't do that. It seems like its too easy for the spies to mess it up and make it confusing.

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Johannen wrote: »
    *ze plan*

Maybe the cane is what we use to kill Athan with! Like, it becomes a pimp cane of sweet justice and we take to beating Athan to sweet death with it! :P
    YES! IT'S BRILLIANT! EVERYBODY, WHEN WE FIND ATHAN, WERE GOING TO BEAT HIM WITH THE STAFF! BEERS ARE ON ME!

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hey guys!

Guys.

I vote to execute Rygar!

James on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    The good part about Funky's plan is that the first person to come forward seems likely to be a seer. If a spy comes forward first, he's likely to be seered and exposed immediately, especially if no one else comes forward. Still, the plan's risky, but right now it seems like the only one we've got.

Buzz Buzz on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Hey Jameserson, can you set us up with some modern weaponry for us to fight Athan with? Maybe an AK or two?! Maybe even a Surface to Air missile launcher?!

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Senor Fish and Johannen are acting odd. And since Senor Fish already defended Johannen, it might mean that they are somehow connected. Also Johannen has had some really dumb ideas. Perhaps we should stake Johannen, and if it turns out he's a spy we could kill Senor Fish as well?

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think anything involving the seers revealing themselves is a bad idea.

What would be a better idea(I think) is to have one of the guardians reveal themselves, this would require that they trust the other guardian(whom they don't know) would protect them on alternating nights though. Then each seer could look at the guardian to confirm they are in fact innocent and contact him, this would get 3 seers and a guardian in contact by day 4. Getting the 2nd guardian into the network would require them contacting the 1st guardian and then being seered.

Of course quite a few people haven't checked in yet so its completely possible that some/all of our specials are inactive and we're screwed anyway.

Last Son on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    No, me and Senor Fish are pissing around a little bit. Also, yes I did have a stupid idea and Fish did the silly thing of defending someone who makes a stupid idea.

I've done a Rygar haven't I? You make one stupid fucking idea, because at the time you think it will work and the paranoid cunt brigade fucks you over for it.

How about being rational and trying to work out who Athan would pick if he could?

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Senor Fish and Johannen are acting odd. And since Senor Fish already defended Johannen, it might mean that they are somehow connected. Also Johannen has had some really dumb ideas. Perhaps we should stake Johannen, and if it turns out he's a spy we could kill Senor Fish as well?
    I don't know Johannen. I just don't like people getting killed over one bad idea. 2 or 3, I'm cool with it, but one. No.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

What would be a better idea(I think) is to have one of the guardians reveal themselves, this would require that they trust the other guardian(whom they don't know) would protect them on alternating nights though. Then each seer could look at the guardian to confirm they are in fact innocent and contact him, this would get 3 seers and a guardian in contact by day 4. Getting the 2nd guardian into the network would require them contacting the 1st guardian and then being seered.

Of course quite a few people haven't checked in yet so its completely possible that some/all of our specials are inactive and we're screwed anyway.

What if a spy contacts the guardian claiming to be an oracle?

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Johannen wrote: »
    How about being rational and trying to work out who Athan would pick if he could?

We don't know who Athan is, so it might be hard to figure out who he would choose.

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I like your idea so far but I think that we overestimate specials. We as fine citizen soldiers can get a lot done if we dont spaz out...like almost always happens the first few days. I'm going to review the cast list and see who I know and how their style in this thread compares and contrasts with what I've seen in the past. Many of y'all are new to me though.

Dynagrip on
This discussion has been closed.