Options

Blerrrrgh (warning: this thread is gross)

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    I don't really have puke stories. I only ever got really badly sick once, and that was a week-long ordeal where my throat straight up died, requiring a tube to get fluids down my neck. Had a bowl by my bed I spit into because my nose was producing a ton of phlem and I couldn't swallow anything, so I just had to spit it out.

Now that I'm 21 I look forward to my chances of puking raising exponentially

Dude, just

Don't drink to the point where you need to throw up

It's not fun

Drink until you are tipsy, but not out of control

It's just past buzzed, and just before you lose the ability to monitor your own speech

Anything beyond that is "Here There Be Monsters" territory

• Options
    StareosarusStareosarus Mrs. Lady Smart Hero FloridaRegistered User regular
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    Once @Javen had to carry a bag of my neon pink barf out to a hotel dumpster in cold weather in his boxers.

:oops:

You guys keep telling the end of the story without all the interesting things leading up to it.

ogFMU.jpg

That's most of the story.

Also, I got horrible food poisoning from Chipotle a few months after Smart Hero and I started dating. The first night, any time I rolled over from my back to my side or vice versa, the nausea would wake me up and I'd throw up again. I tend to toss and turn in my sleep.

It was a not fun few days.

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlfcF1I5e_g

just fyi, if you ever want to decisively not be throwing up, take some motion sickness medication

makes it nigh-impossible

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I've thrown up so hard before that all that came out was gouts of blood and I lost my voice for 2 days after.

It was epic

I have no idea what caused it but it may have been excessive MSG in some Chinese food which I have never touched since.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    My husband and I both got horrible food poisoning back in January. He was puking into the sink in the kitchen while I got the bathroom because I woke up feeling sick about thirty seconds before he did. My grim determination to not vomit (which is mostly unhelpful with food poisoning, since it's going to come out one way or the other) let me keep enough fluids in me to be sort of okay, while he ended up at the clinic with an IV in his arm.

The worst thing though was at some point when I was semiconscious he got out one a Pyrex bowl to bring into the bed room. After he used it, he snapped the lid on it and put it under the bed. Our bedroom is very narrow, and you have to get down on the floor at the foot to see if anything is under there closer to the head. Not something I'm in the habit of doing unless I can't find one of our cats. I had known one of the bowls was missing, but figured he had left it at work. A couple months or so later, I found it. He had no memory of having used it or left it there.

Oh god, the smell must have been legendary

I can only imagine, as I made him deal with it.

That is pretty much the best response.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    I ended up having to work from home today. Some kind of stomach bug, might have been something I ate, but I woke up at like 3 am with major stomach cramps and had to rush to the bathroom. My entire inventory had been liquidated and everything must go.

I spent all goddamn day passing the savings onto the consumer. Barely slept at all. Things got a lot less violent after about 10 am or so, but I'm still having cramps a day later, and am shaky as all hell. Barely slept at all last night, too.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I had no idea I was not alone in my pukiness

Sorry to hear you are sharing my Steam Sale, Rank

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    I never did vomit yesterday. My illness declared itself more of a southern gentleman, luckily.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Oh sweet, barf thread

I've been on brain meds for a few years now that have made me pretty darn nauseous more often than not. It is pretty lame, but better than being crazy.

I used to throw up because of it all the time. But I have figured out how to manage it by being super careful when I drink and just lying down when it gets bad instead of going out and trying to be active. Also watching what I eat a bit more.

Throwing up is butts.

But yeah, make sure you have stuff in you for sure. Drink lots of water, and find junk to eat. I find pancakes are one of the more pleasant things to throw up, just all nice and fluffy coming out.

Try to avoid Chinese food and anything that is super sugary. Throwing up a bag of gummy worms is the grossest

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I've thrown up so hard before that all that came out was gouts of blood and I lost my voice for 2 days after.

It was epic

I have no idea what caused it but it may have been excessive MSG in some Chinese food which I have never touched since.

You know it's totally possible to rip your esophagus open while vomiting?

• Options
    MSG is not really that bad for you though

Also yeah, I think I have bruised my esophagus a few times, that is never fun

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Yeah, if you're throwing up only blood, you need to get yourself to a damn hospital.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    There's this thing in my family where our sinuses are overactive or something, and as such it's always running out into the back of my throat. On top of that, lucky for me, I seem to be blessed with an incredibly sensitive gag reflex. The two do not mix well.

Also, if I take just one bite too much of food, it all comes back up. I now eat very, very slowly.

S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    FlatEric wrote: »
    There's this thing in my family where our sinuses are overactive or something, and as such it's always running out into the back of my throat. On top of that, lucky for me, I seem to be blessed with an incredibly sensitive gag reflex. The two do not mix well.

My wife has an issue like this that developed in the last year. The only thing that her allergist and ENT together could come up with that does any good at all is a combination of a few allergy meds along with an uncommon drug called methscopolamine.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The Geek wrote: »
    Yeah, if you're throwing up only blood, you need to get yourself to a damn hospital.
    Unless you're a vampire.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular

My wife has an issue like this that developed in the last year. The only thing that her allergist and ENT together could come up with that does any good at all is a combination of a few allergy meds along with an uncommon drug called methscopolamine.

This is a real thing?! Does it have a name? I wanna find out if I fit the bill..

• Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    How many folks have been puked on? (excluding babies/children)

I have!
    It's gross. :(
    Washed my hair a TON

• Options

Also, if I take just one bite too much of food, it all comes back up. I now eat very, very slowly.

I do this minus the gag reflex.

have to do this gross coughing thing a lot

it is gross

• Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    once I coughed so hard I puked, and then puked so hard all the blood vessels in my face burst, and it looked like I had measles (I did not)

thenews.jpg
  • Options
    skettios wrote: »

This is a real thing?! Does it have a name? I wanna find out if I fit the bill..

There really isn't a name as far as I know. She just has constant post-nasal drip that if she doesn't keep it under control, she throws up and then her whole digestive system reset back to zero and she has to be on liquids for a few weeks, then baby food, etc.

She takes allegra, methscopolomine, snorts rhinocort and patanase, and uses a pressurized saline sinus rinse every morning. She used to use a neti pot, but it didn't do enough so she had to switch to a squeeze bottle that just blows the saline solution through at a higher pressure.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    When I had my tonsils and adenoids out at the tender age of 29, I was given Tylenol with codeine as a syrup for pain. I needed it, because holy fucking shit that stuff hurts. Which is why you're supposed to get them done when you're younger and the tissue doesn't become as rigid.

Anyway, Tylenol and codeine together in a syrup is like bitter x bitter = bitter squared. Horrible taste plus having a throat all fucked up, together with not eating or drinking enough due to pain meant getting all sick every 4 hours when I had to take a shot of this stuff. By day three, I was still in a lot of pain and started dry heaving every time I took the stuff.

Day four I actually puked. I don't know what actually came up because nothing was going in, but the acid content on the raw torn up flesh that once were tonsils and adenoids hurt like I had just given a deep throat sloppy BJ to a hot curling iron.

Hunter on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I don't hardly ever vomit.

Last time I did though I pretty much dumped my entire post meal stomach contents in under a minute.

Also apparently busted a bunch of capillaries in my face because it was all red and weird.

• Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    Setting: Dorm hall, 3 floor building. First floor is community lounge, second is women, third is men. 40-ish people on each of the two living floors. 3 Day weekend coming up.

Wednesday night, Ray is not doing well. He's been in the bathroom vomiting for hours, I know this because my door is five feet from that of the bathroom. Andy, my roommate and I, decide to go see how he's doing.

Fast forward an hour, there are 7 people in the bathroom (not including Ray, who alternates between vomiting in to a trash can and having explosive diarrhea) hanging out making sure Ray isn't dying, etc etc.

It's gotta be food poisoning, since it hit him this fast, we agree.
    We were so very, very wrong.

Jump ahead 2 days, Ray is fine, but we're living in a warzone. Half of my floor is done for, the other half slowly declining. The malaise is thick in the air from the moment you enter the building. No one is safe.
    Puke in the water fountain, all over the bathroom. It's all you can do to not dry-heave the moment you walk in.

Someone threw up a bright-red smoothie in front of the urinal. It looks like a crime was committed. Things are not well, but I must persevere.

Andy tags out to spend the night with his Girlfriend. They are both sick before dusk, he elects to stay for another night.

The world slowly collapsing around me on Saturday, I do one thing I am very, very good at: I brag about it. I make as many of them as I can hate me for not being as sick as they are. Facebook statuses about licking doorknobs, I even made a spotify playlist for the occasion. I order a calzone and go grab some rootbeer from the store. I'm not getting sick, my immune system is fueled by hatred and my own ego. I am untouchable.

Midnight, I wake up. Fuck. Can't let anyone know, gotta do this calmly.

Get out of bed, walk to the bathroom, I get 3 feet in the door before recoiling in disgust. It's gotten worse, much worse.

"Okay Chris, you've got this," I think to myself. Three flights of stairs down. First-floor bathroom. Pristine. I turn on the light, lock the door, and do the deed.

Feeling much better, I head back upstairs and pass out. Exactly one hour later I am feeling not well. I make it to the first floor yet again, this is my safe zone.

One more hour and I'm beginning to suspect that this is going to be a regular thing. I finally brave the community bathroom for inspection. It turns out, no one can handle their shit as well as I, and as such no one has made it to the last stall, leaving it untouched. I kneel before the porcelain god and dry heave until my abs burn, and then just a little more. I hear a weak cry from 3 stalls down "Who else is in here?"

"...Crawford." I respond.
    "Knew you wouldn't last."

I settle in to a routine of hourly dry-heaves, it's horrible, I'm dehydrated, and I haven't eaten for 15 hours. The dry heaves eventually stop, but I'm unable to eat. Over the course of an hour and a half, I eat one saltine cracker and 2 oz of gatorade. I was the last holdout on the floor, and even throughout the vomiting and near-death feeling I still held my shit together better than any other person. Some anecdotes: "HE MISSED THE FUCKING TRASH CAN IT WAS RIGHT THERE AND HE MISSED IT AND NOW MY FLOOR OH MY GOD." and "So now I can't eat burritos ever again. That was horrible to clean up." also "This floor smells like someone died."

• Options
    That shit is horrifyin

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    hp4KE.jpg

omg huge

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    Thaaaaat's a little bit racist...

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Shit like that is one of my biggest reasons for wanting to avoid the dorms.

I don't think I've had to desecrate the porcelain altar since New Years 2011. Drank waaaaay too much. As a side effect I cannot handle gin at all anymore.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    y'know, i never took it that way, just as expanded stick figures. i get what you're saying, though.

ogod. oh no, now i see the pun.
    shoop da whoop, "that's racist"?

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I don't know what pun you're talking about.

I'm just saying that the black face with big thick red lips is a historical caricature of black people that is generally considered to be racist.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    dammit, edit not quote

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    I don't know what pun you're talking about.

I'm just saying that the black face with big thick red lips is a caricature of black people that is historically considered to be racist.

mm, i understand, i'd just not associated the two. http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/shut-down-everything

i was making a momentary connection between the way you phrased it, and the meme with the kid saying "That's racist," cohered with the shoop da whoop thing of big, red lips; not exactly a pun, so much as a humorous confluence of allusion. not realizing that the shoop da whoop meme was apparently playing on that historical depiction.

anyway, it's funny because videogames.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    skettios wrote: »
    How many folks have been puked on? (excluding babies/children)

I have!
    It's gross. :(
    Washed my hair a TON
    one of my friends got me pretty thoroughly one time

it was sudden

he was taking a sip of beer and just completely lost it

barf everywhere

he wasn't even really drunk, it was just something about that beer did not sit right with him

i wish i could remember what brand it was, he haaaaaates it because of that incident and has never touched it since

anyway, he puked on me pretty good, then locked it down for a second while another friend grabbed a plastic bag for him to continue vomiting in

he filled that son of a bitch up

we hemmed and hawed for a bit and dumped it over the fence into the neighbors' yard, which...wasn't a nice thing to do, but we weren't exactly operating at peak efficiency here

and with that the evening concluded

oh well

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    It's essentially the drawn version of using the N word.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular

I've got a doctor's appointment for something unrelated in a couple weeks that I plan to bring the issue up during. Hope we're able to figure something out, as I don't relish the idea of dealing with it for the rest of my life.

S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    Artreus wrote: »

it is gross

That's the worst part of it. They work in tandem. I can't cough it out, if I try to...it's not pretty.

S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    edited July 2012

it is gross

That's the worst part of it. They work in tandem. I can't cough it out, if I try to...it's not pretty.

Do you tend to get kind of a phlegmy feeling in your throat after you eat, particularly if it's fast food or other greasy kind of stuff?

This is something I get and it's not as much mucus or post nasal drip as it is a kind of acid reflux. Losing weight helps prevent it from happening. I've gone up and down a bit in weight in recent years and it's always more prevalent when I'm heavier.

EDIT: That is to say, my doctor said it would go away with weight loss and my experience bears it out, not that I discovered it on my own and am passing on my anecdotal evidence as a diagnosis.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options

it is gross

Do you tend to get kind of a phlegmy feeling in your throat after you eat, particularly if it's fast food or other greasy kind of stuff?

This is something I get and it's not as much mucus or post nasal drip as it is a kind of acid reflux. Losing weight helps prevent it from happening. I've gone up and down a bit in weight in recent years and it's always more prevalent when I'm heavier.

It's a constant thing, more than triggered. That's an accurate description of how it feels, though.

Honestly, eating helps. Without getting too nasty, the sensation in the back of the throat combined with food pushing up against it tends to move whatever is back there away. Drinking does not extend the same benefits.

Thinking back on it, I wonder if my frequent eating problem was partially caused by this gunk in my throat. Probably not, but it's an interesting thought.

S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    Geek, i live in the South, i'm not unfamiliar with depictions of race, and tensions arising from misunderstanding.
    that word makes my skin crawl; i often flinch. no, it should not be said without consideration of its effects, but referring to it euphemistically is nearly as bad. it's less offensive, as an attempt to show respect, but still invokes the word itself.

saying that an obviously racist image has as much power over the mind as a label that has continued, consistent use (with positive or negative intentions) is short-sighted. blackface as a performance is less accepted ("empowering," critical, or no), but it's the institutional expectation that "Black folk are like this," that continues to be a problem. i'm sorry, this is making me upset.

my first association of that image is entirely with a videogame. no, i had not parsed it with regards to depiction of citizens of Madagascar and their skin color, because i had assumed it was a slightly fleshed-out stick figure, hyperbolic in nature. regardless, i'm not supporting the idea that darker-skinned people are to be mocked any more than lighter-skinned people.

crawford, i hope you feel better. everyone who is feeling unwell, i hope you feel better.

lfchwLd.jpg