Options

Thoughts and Prayers for the people in Aurora

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Look I have no problem with gun control laws. But random killings are going to happen with or without guns, and with the gun lobby the way it is, it's much more effective to make people feel like they can get help before they get to a place where they start shooting/stabbing/bombing/whatever. Mental illness is still pretty much a dirty word, depressed people get told to "oh just get over it."

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, given the state of the discussion of regular healthcare in this country.

No, it's definitely a relevant piece of the puzzle, and I myself have been subjected to the "just get over it" mentality when it comes to mental health issues.

That said, anybody who says this is the cause of just one thing and recommends a silver bullet to solve the issue is oversimplifying things like whoa. It's like saying that we should just give everybody a vaccine that keeps people from getting sick, and then sickness would never happen.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    well

if there was a vaccine that kept people from getting sick

no one would get sick anymore!

• Options
    MichelanvaloMichelanvalo Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    In case anyone is wondering, Fox News is handling this event in every wrong way imaginable. Just make a guess about how and you're probably right.

This is such shit. The guy waiting for a gunfire scene on film making this a planned assault is... I mean, what the FUCK. Have the police finished questioning him? Is he just random insane or was he another "I HAVE A MESSAGE" moron?

What's with Fox News? Because what I heard this morning was accurate and non-bias. I was actually more frightened by that.

Better than fucking shit ass MSNBC that was ignoring the whole fucking situation and not even talking about.

• Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    Point of Information: I just found out that the Assault Weapons Ban expired in the early 2000s.

Question (not being snarky, really curious): Does anyone know the rate of use of psychiatric drugs per capita in the U.S. versus the rest of the developed world? Considering every woman I know either is or at one time has been on some form of antidepressant, I can't imagine it would be too disparate.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    yeah, the fox news website seems actually covering this pretty well

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    In case anyone is wondering, Fox News is handling this event in every wrong way imaginable. Just make a guess about how and you're probably right.

This is such shit. The guy waiting for a gunfire scene on film making this a planned assault is... I mean, what the FUCK. Have the police finished questioning him? Is he just random insane or was he another "I HAVE A MESSAGE" moron?

What's with Fox News? Because what I heard this morning was accurate and non-bias. I was actually more frightened by that.

Better than fucking shit ass MSNBC that was ignoring the whole fucking situation and not even talking about.

Fox & Friends has some religious analyst on to specifically talk about the incident, and Fox News has also been bringing up Heath Ledger as a 'relevant' thing for some reason. I don't know why, I'm afraid to look at the context.

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    It does make me wonder, with all those people in the theater, was there nobody that was carrying a gun that could have stopped this guy more quickly?

Fucking Tea Party. D:

As far as the toddler - someone working at the theater should have put the kibosh on that nonsense the moment they saw the kid. Empower your employees to say, "You know what? No, I'm not going to let you ruin the movie experience of everyone in that room because you're a silly goose."

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options

Fox & Friends has some religious analyst on to specifically talk about the incident, and Fox News has also been bringing up Heath Ledger as a 'relevant' thing for some reason. I don't know why, I'm afraid to look at the context.

oh fox and friends. I thought you meant the news website

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    well

if there was a vaccine that kept people from getting sick

no one would get sick anymore!

Right, but the actual issue is more complicated than that!

Vaccines don't work for everything that causes illnesses, like parasites and autoimmune diseases and genetic defects and so on and so forth

There are a variety of factors that cause diseases, just like the issue of people killing other people, and you can't pass stricter gun control laws, brush the dust off your hands and say, "Well, that's not going to happen anymore!"

Nor can you suddenly start giving a shit about health issues and call it a day

• Options
    edited July 2012
    I was confused. I thought you meant, like, if there was a magic vaccine that cured everything, it wouldn't cure everything

Langly on
  • Options
    That's why the Warren Theaters here in Wichita have cry rooms. Best thing ever. I told a co-worker with a newborn about it the other day and he almost cried, he was so happy.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Look I have no problem with gun control laws. But random killings are going to happen with or without guns, and with the gun lobby the way it is, it's much more effective to make people feel like they can get help before they get to a place where they start shooting/stabbing/bombing/whatever. Mental illness is still pretty much a dirty word, depressed people get told to "oh just get over it."

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, given the state of the discussion of regular healthcare in this country.

No, it's definitely a relevant piece of the puzzle, and I myself have been subjected to the "just get over it" mentality when it comes to mental health issues.

That said, anybody who says this is the cause of just one thing and recommends a silver bullet to solve the issue is oversimplifying things like whoa. It's like saying that we should just give everybody a vaccine that keeps people from getting sick, and then sickness would never happen.

Yeah, agreed. I just get pissed when politicians (Bloomberg just started up) immediately jump to gun control. That is never going to go anywhere, the NRA is too loud and screetchy, and they're just going to make everyone turtle up. Waste of political capital and opportunity.

Whereas I think we're still capable of having an adult conversation about mental health reform. At the very least, there's no "protect people's right to remain murderous psychopaths" lobby (yet).

• Options
    Basically what I'm saying is that the paradigm in America needs to shift drastically in order for this sort of thing to stop, or at least not happen as frequently.

I'm not claiming I have the new paradigm that we all need to follow, I'm just saying there's obviously something fundamentally wrong that a couple of tweaks isn't going to fix.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    A dozen people die and all you guys can focus on is the person bringing their kid to the movie? What he fuck is wrong with you

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    It does make me wonder, with all those people in the theater, was there nobody that was carrying a gun that could have stopped this guy more quickly?

Fucking Tea Party. D:

Oh yes, let's stop one maniac with a gun by letting all of these potential maniacs with guns kill him first.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options

Ah, see, this morning it was like 6-8am, so there was a lot of new details to discuss. Fox and CNN were doing excellent jobs covering it on TV and on their site. They didn't have to go the fucking stupid analysts at that point. Right about 8:30am, as the news part was dieing down, it became more about analyzing the situation and that's when I tuned out.

• Options
    well, seeing as how there are pages and pages of people talking about this in the batman thread, and also talking about the tragedy, I think it doesn't seem too weird?

Also what do you want everyone to do, affirm the fact that they think it's a horrible event to have a dozen people killed? that's kind of a given.

• Options
    A dozen people die and all you guys can focus on is the person bringing their kid to the movie? What he fuck is wrong with you

Dude. It's a chat forum. Side conversations happen. And, frankly, I have far more experience with movie-going with a child than I do dealing with a massacre. I'm trying to play to my strengths here.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

Fucking Tea Party. D:

Oh yes, let's stop one maniac with a gun by letting all of these potential maniacs with guns kill him first.

I wonder... when there's a mass shooting and someone else with a gun is present, do we get to hold that guy responsible for the deaths for not stopping the shooting?

What a fucking retarded argument.

• Options

Fucking Tea Party. D:

Yeah, there's be some hero fantasies going around that I've heard.

On the other side of the coin, fucking shit head Piers Morgan has been tweeting about gun control laws in America being too lax all morning. What an asshole too. Can you Brits please take him back and keep him there?

• Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular

Well people have only mentioned it a few times so why not get off your high horse, hmm?

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular

Heaven forbid people worry about children not being scarred for life.

• Options
    If gun control laws weren't changed after a sitting Congresswoman was shot in the head, they sure aren't going to change after this.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    This news is horrifically sad.

I'm intrigued by the shooter giving himself up without a fight though, since it might afford us the opportunity to analyze what exactly was running though his head.

I'd only be for the death penalty if it actually accomplished anything but since it doesn't, especially in this case (deterrents don't work on crazy mass-murderers wih no regard for human life) all it would do is satisfy people's bloodthirsty need for vengeance. I want to study this man's mind. Maybe he'll work with psychologists. Maybe we can stop a future shooting before it happens.

That's all I want now.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    They just found a bomb in the guys apartment, what the hell was this guy planning for?

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    On the other side of the coin, fucking shit head Piers Morgan has been tweeting about gun control laws in America being too lax all morning. What an asshole too. Can you Brits please take him back and keep him there?

Oh dear God no. We don't want the slimy, personality-less twerp back.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Yeah he informed the police he had explosives in his home, and they evacuated the building...

Also apparently there was a bomb present at the theater?

• Options

Yeah, agreed. I just get pissed when politicians (Bloomberg just started up) immediately jump to gun control. That is never going to go anywhere, the NRA is too loud and screetchy, and they're just going to make everyone turtle up. Waste of political capital and opportunity.

Whereas I think we're still capable of having an adult conversation about mental health reform. At the very least, there's no "protect people's right to remain murderous psychopaths" lobby (yet).

Absolutely. Whether or not "they" decide this guy is mentally disturbed, I think a strong argument could be made that anybody who makes the decision to kill somebody else has something psychologically wrong with them. I'm not saying it can always be corrected or that all murderers can be reformed, but certainly it's a good starting point for shifting the paradigm of discussion.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Analysts should be banned from the news. They should talk about facts and nothing else. Too many people take speculation as fact and it causes a lot of problems.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

Fucking Tea Party. D:

Yeah, there's be some hero fantasies going around that I've heard.

Only if you take back Madonna.

In fact no, not even then. You can keep him.

• Options

Oh dear God no. We don't want the slimy, personality-less twerp back.

Well then who the hell can we pawn him off on next? Because he's a useless asshole.

• Options

Absolutely. Whether or not "they" decide this guy is mentally disturbed, I think a strong argument could be made that anybody who makes the decision to kill somebody else has something psychologically wrong with them. I'm not saying it can always be corrected or that all murderers can be reformed, but certainly it's a good starting point for shifting the paradigm of discussion.

We can't even have a rational conversation about health care reform in this country, much less mental health care reform.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    KryhsKryhs Registered User regular

Everyone has something psychologically wrong with them. It's just usually something about trust issues, childhood issues, or liking Apple products :P. But I see what you mean, and I definitely agree.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular

Fucking Tea Party. D:

I wonder... when there's a mass shooting and someone else with a gun is present, do we get to hold that guy responsible for the deaths for not stopping the shooting?

What a fucking retarded argument.

There was a guy with a gun nearby when that Congresswoman got shot last year- he was barely stopped from shooting the guys that had just tackled and wrestled the gun away from the actual shooter, because it turns out just because you have a gun doesn't mean you have any idea what the fuck is going on when random assholes open fire.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    The suspects apartment is booby trapped apparently.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Kryhs wrote: »

Everyone has something psychologically wrong with them. It's just usually something about trust issues, childhood issues, or liking Apple products :P. But I see what you mean, and I definitely agree.

Nope

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    dbrock270 wrote: »
    The suspects apartment is booby trapped apparently.

O_O

What the fucking hell!

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    That is never going to go anywhere, the NRA is too loud and screetchy, and they're just going to make everyone turtle up. Waste of political capital and opportunity.

It's good to give up fighting for a political stance because the other side is too organized.

That's how real change is affected.

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I texted my brother as soon as I heard about it this morning, he lives in Broomfield.

He'd just gotten back from a showing at a theater in Broomfield, apparently he used to go to the one in Aurora all the time before he got a new apartment.

He's safe, but I was walking around with a pit in my stomach all morning till I heard from him.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    probably really thought he was a batman villain

This discussion has been closed.