As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Crusader Kings 2 Succession/Learning Game

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I'm getting a merging armies crash bug. :(

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Whoever plays next should prolly just take the next 2 leaders, because Emperor Ordono the Drooling is pretty obviously not going to last long.

I second the call for "let's play two".

Unless @mynameisguido wants to reprise his entry on "Terrible and then Dead".

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I've sent shadowhope a pm asking for the save unless anyone else has dibs.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Also, feature list of Legacy of Rome:
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome Main features:

New Faction System: Join a royal faction and use your allies in the party to enhance your strength and tear down rivals
    Raise Standing Armies: You will now be able to use retinues to have standing armies in your domain: the size of which is determined by technology
    Experience Factional Revolts: No more easily defeated rebellions. Disgruntled vassals will now band together in revolt against your rule through their faction
    Appoint Orthodox Patriarchs: Orthodox kingdoms and empires can now control their own heads of religion and their powers, instead of being dependent on the patriarch of Constantinople
    Streamlined Mobilization: You will always raise a single, larger levy from your direct vassal; no need to worry about the opinions of the lower vassals
    Leader Focus on Combat: Appoint your generals wisely, their traits and skills are now of vital importance on the field of battle. More commander traits are now added to increase the importance of your choice of military leaders
    Byzantium Comes Alive: New sets of decisions and events specifically designed with the Byzantine Empire in mind
    Improve your ruler: You can now actively strive to improve your skills or traits through the new Self-Improvement Ambitions

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Party politics sounds like it could be pretty awesome

Most of the other stuff doesn't sound that major, but then again sword of islam didn't sound that different at first either, and it ended up a waaay different playstyle than christians

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    I think the overhauled general stuff could be really cool.

Hopefully they make combat a bit more transparent. I still only have vague ideas of what the different troop types do, and identifying and re-organizing army composition is a pain.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Yeah, combat is definitely the worst designed part of the game. Like most of CK2 has a fair learning curve to it, but how combat works (beyond: more men = better) is pretty much a cliff. And then even once you do figure it out it's so clumsy that you may as well just ignore it.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    It really doesn't seem to be a well put together mechanic but IMO any added complexity to the combat will just make the AI worse at the game

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    So is it worth going back and playing CK 1? i've been reading that lets play and i really enjoy the apparent added complexity in the actions.

Also is the press all claims CB and actual CB? is it only possible if you personally have multiple claims?

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    The save has been sent to KetBra.

That was a hell of a lot of fun. Is it too early to start talking about where the next succession game takes place? :D

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    The save has been sent to KetBra.

That was a hell of a lot of fun. Is it too early to start talking about where the next succession game takes place? :D

I think we had discussed having the next succession game be a sword of islam thing?

Bulgaria would be a pretty good choice, as long as Cuman doesn't smash our shit in the first 10 years. Lots of stuff going on there, plus eventually the golden horde, which I'm fearfully anticipating in my current game.
    Botznoy wrote: »
    So is it worth going back and playing CK 1? i've been reading that lets play and i really enjoy the apparent added complexity in the actions.

Also is the press all claims CB and actual CB? is it only possible if you personally have multiple claims?

It's been a while since I've played it, but for the most part CK2 is just a straight upgrade. It's not like they change the game engine or anything.

There's prolly one or two things that CK1 did better, but not really enough to give you a reason to play it.

• Options
    Hm, I was hoping I could unload our holdings in Anatolia off onto one of the Holy Orders so we wouldn't have to be involved directly in all the jihads there, but it looks like it's split between a bunch of different people.

Also, we have almost 70 direct vassals.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    KetBra wrote: »
    Hm, I was hoping I could unload our holdings in Anatolia off onto one of the Holy Orders so we wouldn't have to be involved directly in all the jihads there, but it looks like it's split between a bunch of different people.

...that's just more income!

I think we had discussed having the next succession game be a sword of islam thing?

Bulgaria would be a pretty good choice, as long as Cuman doesn't smash our shit in the first 10 years. Lots of stuff going on there, plus eventually the golden horde, which I'm fearfully anticipating in my current game.

I'd vote for Sicily or Tunis, but it's all good.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Just managed to pull of a invasion CB against the french.

IZF2byN.jpg

• Options
    Muslim empires are so volatile that you can really start almost anywhere and have room to grow.

• Options
    Muslim empires are so volatile that you can really start almost anywhere and have room to grow.

Yes, just yes. Muslim conquest of europe
    lunV8.jpg

IZF2byN.jpg

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    So, I was playing some muslims for fun and I noticed that once I win a conquest war I never seem to get the CB back, like ever. What's going on with that?

• Options
    Phyphor wrote: »
    So, I was playing some muslims for fun and I noticed that once I win a conquest war I never seem to get the CB back, like ever. What's going on with that?

Gotta have 50 piety to pay for the conquest

• Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I've never seen the HRE weaker than in my current game. The emperor got excommunicated and attempted to establish high crown law at the same time

2 kingdoms (including me as Bohemia), 5 duchies, and several counties all declared independence at the same time. I was able to bring in sweden and hungary as allies. Most of these wars succeeded and the empire is now half the blobby mass it usually is

• Options
    Heh, my Bulger capital is a castle, a town, and 3 mosques, all of which I own and are fully upgraded for cash-making.

SOOO MUCH MONEY

Now if only you could own cities

• Options
    I have to redownload, I think. SoI disappeared on me. It's weird.

So I've been playing EU3 (as Wurtemburg, which is basically who I was in my CK2 game that kept crashing) instead. Vassalized 4/7 electors in one war, so I guess I'm emperor for life. :P

Unfortunately I forgot to turn off lucky nations so I have uber France to my west and Austria stretches from Bavaria to Constantinople to my east. And Castille inherited England, so they're a bit huge.

• Options
    I have to redownload, I think. SoI disappeared on me. It's weird.

So I've been playing EU3 (as Wurtemburg, which is basically who I was in my CK2 game that kept crashing) instead. Vassalized 4/7 electors in one war, so I guess I'm emperor for life. :P

Unfortunately I forgot to turn off lucky nations so I have uber France to my west and Austria stretches from Bavaria to Constantinople to my east. And Castille inherited England, so they're a bit huge.

Verify your cache file, fixed it for me when i had that issue

IZF2byN.jpg

• Options
    DahkathDahkath Registered User regular

A question from a new player:

Is 70 direct vassals a bad thing in an empire that size? I've read a lot about keeping your vassals weak to prevent uprisings, so it seems like giving them dutchies/counties as vassals will just make them more powerful?

Or was that comment just a statement about how the game is going?

• Options

Gotta have 50 piety to pay for the conquest

That would do it, unfortunately

• Options
    So uh.

We've got problems.

Big succession problems. Our dear ruler only has daughters, and they're not married matrilinearly.

Also prince-bishoprics EVERYWHERE

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    So uh.

We've got problems.

Big succession problems. Our dear ruler only has daughters, and they're not married matrilinearly.

Prince-Bishoprics are good. I installed them in the colonies, because they're less likely to revolt and since they do substantially less infighting they can often still produce a higher levy than a feudal lord. They convert their provinces faster, and though they can pay their taxes to Rome instead of to the king since feudal lords will typically have zero taxation it's actually a money improvement.

As for the daughters, I suggest the murder of husbands, children, and remarriage until a proper heir is generated.

• Options
    So uh.

We've got problems.

You know what you must do
    Get a-murderin

• Options
    Or marry a young woman and have a son, but that's boring

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Or marry a young woman and have a son, but that's boring

Doing both would cover more bases.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Can incapable people even have kids?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Change to Seniority succession?

• Options

Hey, that's just incapable at ruling :winky:

• Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    Flick to agnatic.

• Options
    gjaustin wrote: »

Which would require 10 years of incapable rule. This seems unlikely.

• Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    gjaustin wrote: »

Which would require 10 years of incapable rule. This seems unlikely.

Good point. Better get stabbing!

• Options
    The good news is that since you're already incapable, you hardly have to worry about taking opinion hits

• Options

Hey, that's just incapable at ruling :winky:

Incapable gives fertility hits too.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Well. If you can't get out of bed you're probably not the greatest lover either. Or able to chase down your wife if she's not all that excited by you anymore.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Anybody else in here ever read The World According to Garp?

...no reason.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    God, beating up France in EU3 is the best. The 12 infamy from the provinces I took: not the best, especially since I already illegally hold 4 imperial territories and my 4 diplomacy heir just inherited, but whatever!

This discussion has been closed.