As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] The War of Art 2: Brushes covered in paint edition

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Some of us just say fuck it to compatibility and go Reaper. Not having to figure out what stupid, nonsensical name is the shade or highlight for my chosen color is a godsend.

My current paint collection ordered by volume is Citadel > Reaper > VMC > VGC > P3 = Army Painter
    My preference is Reaper > VMC > P3 > Army Painter > Citadel = VGC

I'm just not a big fan of VGC and Citadel has been pissing me off lately: almost all of my metallics from them have turned into paste. And these are all layers from the updated line and I don't paint from the pot so they aren't drying up because of that.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Yeah, that pillar has some great weathering that makes it look like mold growing around the cracks.

• Options
    Right, that wasn't what I came here to post about.

So, picked up the airbrush + hose today. Bad news: hose connector doesn't fit on the compressor.

I bough this hose, looks like a 1/2" connector on the compressor side.

My compressor is an AS-186, and as far as I've measured it's a 3/8" connector there. Are there any adapters I can get, or should I just look for a different hose?

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Find what you need on amazon and either order it there or show it to the people at the hardware store.

Don't forget some Teflon tape on the threading so you don't lose pressure.

EDIT: when I get home in about 3 hours I can take a picture.

Dr_Keenbean on
  • Options
    Yeah, the compressor came with a small roll of PTFE tape. :^:

• Options
    This looks like what I want - 5/8" to 3/8".

ZOr0eMW.jpg

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Thanks. I really feel like I should strip the one my terminator sergeant is on and start over, but he's pinned and superglued on.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    By the looks of it, I'd think you could paint around that pretty okay. If you're worried about the grass, I'm sure you could pry that off no problem.
    Alternatively, paint ANOTHER one first, and then come back to it if you like what you come up with.

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    This looks like what I want - 5/8" to 3/8".

ZOr0eMW.jpg

Echo, take your hose in to the store if you can to test fit it on anything you might be trying to buy (if you're getting it at a hardware store).
    The hose I got with my airbrush isn't a standard fitting, so I had to buy a special connector to go from my hose to the standard 3/8" or whatever I have on my compressor/water trap.
    BUT, your hose might just already have a standard connector on the end there (based on the Amazon picture), which would make it a ton easier for you.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    Yeah, seems Badger have proprietary tread sizes on their stuff instead of standard sizes. Bah.

• Options
    The hose does fit when directly on the compressor, so it's a standard size on that side, at least. So that thread adapter should do the trick. Can't really paint right now unless I want full pressure all the time.

• Options
    For those of you who paint space marine eye lenses in red, what colors do you use and what would be the GW equivalent?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Paint the socket black.
    Base the lens Khorne Red.
    Paint the front 2/3 Evil Suns Scarlet.
    Paint a super thin line of Tau Light Ochre along the bottom rim of the lens.
    Glaze with Bloodletter.
    Add a tiny white dot in the top back of the lens.

Gets you this:
    Red%20eyes%21.png

EDIT: Full disclosure, I used Reaper Clotted Red as the base color but Khorne Red should be close. Alternatively Doombull Brown might work.

Dr_Keenbean on
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Cool. Thanks. And just to let you all know how OCD I am getting in my encroaching middle ages, I just saw that the "official" Imperial Fists seem to have green eye lenses. But I've decided I like my red lenses better. goldurnit.

Also. I need to figure out which of those colors corresponds to the older GW colors since I haven't had cause to update my reds yet. But I have the chart for that, if it works.

Edit: I may just stop by and buy the new colors. All my old paint is getting a little... sluggish. It's thickening up.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Well, I just had to test.

Turns out that 47 psi mostly blows the paint straight past your model.

• Options
    Well, I just had to test.

Turns out that 47 psi mostly blows the paint straight past your model.

Yeah don't do that. You want really low PSI for mini painting. Like 20 or less.

• Options
    Nice breeze though.

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    My badger brush runs alright at 40-50 psi, though I have a leak in the hose connector, so that probobly drops it down to 20...

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    WyTxm7o.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    You'd think they'd attempt to get everyone who pledged the first time their stuff before launching into a second...

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Well, technically they haven't. They've just said they will at some point soon. But yeah.
    That said, it's not like its a scam and they aren't actually fulfilling orders, they're just being slower than expected.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Paint the socket black.
    Base the lens Khorne Red.
    Paint the front 2/3 Evil Suns Scarlet.
    Paint a super thin line of Tau Light Ochre along the bottom rim of the lens.
    Glaze with Bloodletter.
    Add a tiny white dot in the top back of the lens.

Gets you this:
    Red%20eyes%21.png

EDIT: Full disclosure, I used Reaper Clotted Red as the base color but Khorne Red should be close. Alternatively Doombull Brown might work.

Some of you wonder why I ask questions here when I could Google it? This right here. I just finished one set of eyes on a terminator and they are the best looking eyes I've ever seen. Thanks, Keenbean. I never would have thought to use Tau Sept Ochre but it worked great.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Cool. Thanks. And just to let you all know how OCD I am getting in my encroaching middle ages, I just saw that the "official" Imperial Fists seem to have green eye lenses. But I've decided I like my red lenses better. goldurnit.

Also. I need to figure out which of those colors corresponds to the older GW colors since I haven't had cause to update my reds yet. But I have the chart for that, if it works.

Edit: I may just stop by and buy the new colors. All my old paint is getting a little... sluggish. It's thickening up.

You can add a drop or two of water into the pot, shake well and that may rejuvenate your existing colours.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Alright guys, help me out here ...
    I've been trying to figure out what colours I want to use to paint my Retribution for a couple of weeks now, as I've simultaneously been waiting for them to come in. I haven't settled on anything though, and feel I might have reached a point where I'm overthinking it. I did consider using the same scheme as the one I used to paint the Warwitch Siren, but it still doesn't feel exactly right to me. *shrug*

So for the most part I've been playing with a couple of notions:
    I want to use Orange somewhere, but I don't want it to be the primary color
    I would prefer to have a darker overall feel with bright splashes (such as orange) to contrast, but remain more of a 'hiding in the woods' type feel rather than flamboyance

I'm looking at something like this and feel it's almost right (I also love that I've used that same blue on everything I've painted in the last 8 months because I love it so much). However I'm not really feeling a purple for them, and the blue/green mix is, again, pretty much exactly what I used on the Siren. :p

I'm entirely open to colour suggestions as well as some food-for-thought to help me settle on my own. So seriously, anyone who's willing to try and talk some sense into me or shout that I'm being an idiot, I thoroughly welcome it.

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    So seriously, anyone who's willing to try and talk some sense into me or shout that I'm being an idiot, I thoroughly welcome it.

Stop trying to paint terrible models.

:P

• Options
    So I guess you had a re-falling out with your battlebox?
    And what I'm hearing is, "I, Dr_Keenbean, will happily solve your problem by buying you a new army!" :winky:

• Options
    For the low, low price of a $50USD finder's fee I will totally get you a new Battlebox.

• Options
    Shipping included, you say? I don't think you're going to like how that ends when you have to ship to Canada. And I don't think I'd like how it ends when you circumvent the need of a box by flattening all the minis with a hammer before sending them along.

• Options
    Bought a bottle of Liquitex gloss varnish today. Do you thin that down too? Looks kinda thick.

• Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    So, I finally finished painting an entire unit to an actually halfway decent standard (Sorry Tyranids). I'm super stoked to hear they actually made honor guard BETTER in the new book as well (They were extremely underrated to begin with).

Spoiler'd for dump
    Also, half are reposts, I put them at the bottom.

I'm happy with the results, but I welcome critique. Any advice that will help me improve my painting is always appreciated.
    xhj5.jpg
    rkz7.jpg
    lyov.jpg
    lt08.jpg
    prj3.jpg
    dsm5.JPG
    fika.jpg
    haui.jpg
    yu81.jpg
    eep2.jpg
    lk24.jpg
    20130227152434.jpg
    20130226162355.jpg

TraceofToxin on
    Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    Bought a bottle of Liquitex gloss varnish today. Do you thin that down too? Looks kinda thick.

It depends on the application. If you're going for the 'shiny gems' look, you don't have too. If you're using it as a protective coat on models (to dull coate later), then watering it down is advised.

In an related note my threadmates, I've started using a .05 micron pen to dot eyes with on 28mm models. I have no idea why I didn't start doing it sooner - it's much easier than the brush method. I've owned the pen for 5 years, and just now started using it for that. My shame is profound.

• Options

For an airbrush absolutely. I use airbrush medium.

Actually I don't anymore, I use floor polish in my airbrush because I am lazy.

• Options
    Feedback on colours would still be hugely appreciated at this point.

In happier news, I got my GenCon stash from my friend at lunch today. Happily acquired Texico, plus their 7th, the Eagle, and the CCC 7th, the Breacher. Really looking forward to getting through these guys, although as I'm about to take a 2 week trip, the timing is somewhat depressing ... And when I get back I'll have to work on my Ret stuff for the September league.
    Still, can't complain about having something to paint again. ^_^

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Alright guys, help me out here ...
    I've been trying to figure out what colours I want to use to paint my Retribution for a couple of weeks now, as I've simultaneously been waiting for them to come in. I haven't settled on anything though, and feel I might have reached a point where I'm overthinking it. I did consider using the same scheme as the one I used to paint the Warwitch Siren, but it still doesn't feel exactly right to me. *shrug*

I would prefer to have a darker overall feel with bright splashes (such as orange) to contrast, but remain more of a 'hiding in the woods' type feel rather than flamboyance

I'm looking at something like this and feel it's almost right (I also love that I've used that same blue on everything I've painted in the last 8 months because I love it so much). However I'm not really feeling a purple for them, and the blue/green mix is, again, pretty much exactly what I used on the Siren. :p

I'm entirely open to colour suggestions as well as some food-for-thought to help me settle on my own. So seriously, anyone who's willing to try and talk some sense into me or shout that I'm being an idiot, I thoroughly welcome it.

You could do a grey primary color, with orange as an accent. More urban camo like. It might also work with a grey-blue, like the 40K alt-studio-scheme Tau (Sa'cea sept to google).

• Options
    Shipping included, you say? I don't think you're going to like how that ends when you have to ship to Canada. And I don't think I'd like how it ends when you circumvent the need of a box by flattening all the minis with a hammer before sending them along.

No no you have me all wrong! I'd remove the models and fill the box with poop from a butt.

I'm not sure what that would accomplish seeing as you likely wouldn't be able to tell the difference. You'd just think the models were cast in brown plastic.

• Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular

For an airbrush absolutely. I use airbrush medium.

Actually I don't anymore, I use floor polish in my airbrush because I am lazy.

You ever try Windex? I have an airbrushing project coming up in Sept. Dropzone is doing a Journeyman League, and I have the Convergence of Cyriss box and a few other models. I'm debating a airbrushed metallic, before some serious rust, corrosion, and weathering is applied. I either used water, or medium, but some folks rave about Windex.

• Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    I would prefer to have a darker overall feel with bright splashes (such as orange) to contrast, but remain more of a 'hiding in the woods' type feel rather than flamboyance.

How about a very dark hunter green base with some lighter olive green or brown contrast parts and make the glowing bits orange?

• Options
    Accualt wrote: »
    I would prefer to have a darker overall feel with bright splashes (such as orange) to contrast, but remain more of a 'hiding in the woods' type feel rather than flamboyance.

How about a very dark hunter green base with some lighter olive green or brown contrast parts and make the glowing bits orange?

I think I've subtly wanted to do a dark green all along, but for some reason brown never really popped up. It's worth investigating, yes.
    Thanks!

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    So, I finally finished painting an entire unit to an actually halfway decent standard (Sorry Tyranids). I'm super stoked to hear they actually made honor guard BETTER in the new book as well (They were extremely underrated to begin with).

Spoiler'd for dump
    Also, half are reposts, I put them at the bottom.

I'm happy with the results, but I welcome critique. Any advice that will help me improve my painting is always appreciated.
    xhj5.jpg
    rkz7.jpg
    lyov.jpg
    lt08.jpg
    prj3.jpg
    dsm5.JPG
    fika.jpg
    haui.jpg
    yu81.jpg
    eep2.jpg
    lk24.jpg
    20130227152434.jpg
    20130226162355.jpg

Drill your barrels and base your guys, asshole!

Serious answer: I think the gold could use a brown wash. The rest of it looks good!

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Thanks for the feedback, @Dayspring. Everyone else, you suck.

I washed with gryphonne sepia on the gold, at least once, usually 2-3 times. Should I go darker?

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
This discussion has been closed.