As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stickman VS Infinite Ninjas [Android]

CyberCodCyberCod Registered User regular
edited July 2012 in Games and Technology
I just got permission to post this.
Youtube Video
Google Play Link

A buddy and me made an Android game. As far as we've been able to tell, the gameplay is unique as nobody seems to be using accelerometers for input in the same way that we are. If anyone knows of a similar game, we'd be curious to hear about it as we don't know why more games don't use this control scheme.

Its free to play, ad-based, Swarm is used for leaderboards and achievements, but it is opt-in only, and only records stats on the Gamer Mode.

So far it doesn't seem to appeal to the casual gaming crowd, which we are fine with, but the newness of the control scheme seems to throw some people off. We just wanted to make a game that we ourselves would enjoy playing. Perhaps you will enjoy it too.

There is no quest, there is no exploring. Defend yourself as waves of enemies attack with the intention of killing you. This unique game was designed to mimic the one-versus-many style of combat of martial-arts movies.
HOW TO PLAY:
Tilt your device to control the character's movement. Tilt back to jump, down to slide or crouch, and left or right to run. Tap anywhere on the screen to attack.
Inventory items will create icons on the screen that you can touch in order to use them. Crouch or slide over swords on the ground to pick them up.
Throwing fireballs:
To throw a fireball to the right, tilt down, and then down and right, and then right, and finally tap the screen like a normal attack. Just reverse the directions to do a fireball to the left. The action needs to be done fairly quickly.

For more information on gameplay, visit the Google Play page and hit [MORE] on the right side. ;)

CyberCod on

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    Cool, reminds me of those old Xiao Xiao cartoons

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Neat.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Xiao Xiao the game? All mai moneys!

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Xiao Xiao (and other stickman webtoons too! (stickpage.com ftw!)) was actually the inspiration, though we're nowhere near that fluid yet. We plan on adding lots more weapons, with players with more than 500 lifetime Gamer mode kills getting to vote on what we add next.

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    CyberCod wrote:
    Youtube Video
    Google Play Link

A buddy and me made an Android game. As far as we've been able to tell, the gameplay is unique as nobody seems to be using accelerometers for input in the same way that we are. If anyone knows of a similar game, we'd be curious to hear about it as we don't know why more games don't use this control scheme.

Its free to play, ad-based, Swarm is used for leaderboards and achievements, but it is opt-in only, and only records stats on the Gamer Mode.

So far it doesn't seem to appeal to the casual gaming crowd, which we are fine with, but the newness of the control scheme seems to throw some people off. We just wanted to make a game that we ourselves would enjoy playing. Perhaps you will enjoy it too.

You know what would be great?
    If you described this unique control scheme of yours. Neither your google play link, nor your youtube video, nor your post here does that.
    Just sayin'.

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    l_g wrote: »
    CyberCod wrote:
    Youtube Video
    Google Play Link

If you described this unique control scheme of yours. Neither your google play link, nor your youtube video, nor your post here does that.
    Just sayin'.

Actually, the Google Play link does describe it. Tilt the phone left to move left, right to move right, back to crouch and forward to jump (might have the last two mixed up). Tap the screen to attack, plus some other special things like throwing fireballs and the like.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Its there, Google likes to hide most of the text... I just didn't wanna copy/pasta the whole spiel into this thread. After reading the rules regarding game posts and waiting 3 days for a reply, I'm SO trying not to get all spamtastic.

If you're having trouble with the accelerometers, or if it didn't calibrate properly for whatever reason, you can recalibrate in the menu, or reverse axes, or change axes. Recalibration occurs the first frame after you resume the game.

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Darmak wrote: »
    CyberCod wrote:
    Youtube Video
    Google Play Link

Just sayin'.

Actually, the Google Play link does describe it. Tilt the phone left to move left, right to move right, back to crouch and forward to jump (might have the last two mixed up). Tap the screen to attack, plus some other special things like throwing fireballs and the like.

I'm blind and didn't see the more button. My bad!

Still, it wouldn't hurt your cause to describe your game more in the OP post.

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    edited July 2012

I'm blind and didn't see the more button. My bad!

Still, it wouldn't hurt your cause to describe your game more in the OP post.

I am trying to change it but the forum doesn't seem to like Chrome running on Debian.

It let me edit this comment, but not that one. I will try again from Windows later. The wife is getting her Diablo 3 fix.

CyberCod on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I get my Android phone back from repair in quite literally 5 minutes, so I'll make sure it's one of the first things I get installed.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch, I'm sure you'll do fine. ;)

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Ok, took me a tad longer than anticipated to get everything set back up. Tried it though and I'm rubbish at it. That said it's very fun :)

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Hit collision is very literal. Watching our users climb the boards, it takes a few games to get the hang of it. Takes a lot more to really get down. Ive been playing it in one form or another for six months. The gameplay video wasnt one of my better runs.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    We've been live for about 2 weeks now and we've had approximately 1000 downloads, with 300 or so active users. They're just now starting to get good enough to defeat wave 3, and a couple have made it past wave 4. I just beat wave 7 for the first time last night. I was stuck at wave 6 for about the last month.

In todays games, since there are no quarters being dropped, all the games are becoming mind-numbingly easy to pick up. I remember the very first quarter I dropped in a Street Fighter machine... It didn't last long, I sucked. I died. I kept playing and I got better. Now its nothing like that. If you suck, the games will either start letting you win or start actively helping you. My son was playing Uncharted 3 and he was so bad at it that the support character was actually telling him the answers to the riddles.

Game companies keep lowering the bar to entry because they want you to stick around. They're not trying to kill you quickly and spectacularly so you drop another quarter in a hurry. Now they are making it so that games can be played by any primate with working eyeballs because deep down they all want to be movie directors, and if you suck you can't see the amazing story they've got laid out for you, or else they make it an easy puzzler because they know they're competing with Farmville or a good game of Bingo at the local church basement. This diluting of gaming integrity is what happens when you try to get grandmas hooked on games. We all suffer.

This game is not that. This is a return to the "screw you, try again" games of olde. Its ugly, the music will probably drive you insane until you either turn it off or tune it out, but if you want an intense battle in a short time, it does a pretty good job of delivering. This is a distilled can of ass-kicking.

We're working on smoothing out some of the bugs, and making it look a little better, and we're definitely going to keep adding weapons, but it will probably remain fairly plain looking until an artist decides to join the team. Being that our AdMob account has collected a whopping 13 cents, I hope they work for a profit percentage lol. Maybe on the next game we'll sell out and make a fairy pink puzzle game with zero barrier to entry, but this one we made for ourselves.

I hope I'm not coming off as pushy or defensive or anything, I just had a rather animated conversation with a buddy about this topic, so it was all fresh in my head and it spilled out onto the keyboard in much the same fashion it did in the conversation.

TIPS:
    Don't be afraid to move your phone around. People may stare, that's okay. Flip them the finger (pause first of course) and continue kicking ass.
    This is a fast paced game. Be ready to fight! PRACTICE DOES HELP! You WILL get better.
    Ground pounds do damage based on proximity to the point of impact, so aim well on the way down.
    Shurikens can't hit you when you are crouched or sliding, but they can hit ninjas behind you. If you time your sword swings, you can deflect them back toward the thrower.
    A shuriken can hit anyone except the person who threw or deflected it last. Use this to your advantage.
    Attack collision does not extend past the weapon or limb that is attacking. Proper timing and distance matter!
    DON'T STAY STILL! Be a hard target to hit.
    Ninjas are damaged by falling dead ninjas. Use this to your advantage. Bosses can deflect shuriken, but not corpses. If all you have left is a boss, throw your sword at him.
    Use your inventory wisely. It CAN run out. Smokebombs are precious, don't waste them. Used properly they're as good as a 1up mushroom.
    Smokebombs can also teleport you out of a fall. If you're on a trajectory to the corner (where you don't wanna be) or they keep knocking you away from a health, a Smokebomb will give you back control of your character.
    Throwing a sword is ill advised unless there are just a couple enemies. Otherwise it will kill the first couple and the next one will just use it to skewer you.
    If they're all on one side of you and you're not gonna get a shuriken in the back, CHARGE!
    Shurikens knock down shurikens going the opposite direction, but keep in mind that the hitboxes are exactly the size of the shurikens themselves.
    Generally, once you have the sword, fight like Yoda.

Good luck!

CyberCod on
  • Options
    We've had some art upgrades, and added some easier gameplay modes, as well as 2 practice modes... if you found it too difficult before, you may want to give it another try.