As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Monday, July 23, 2012 - The Proxy, Part Three

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited July 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    I don't understand the term "Go Loud"

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    I have a feeling it was meant to be " and I have to Go Loud ".

Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I don't understand the term "Go Loud"

Sometimes you gotta STEP, you know?

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DexOZDexOZ Registered User regular
    I have a feeling it was meant to be " and I have to Go Loud ".

yeah Jerry's in for a spanking lol.

Can't wait to see Gabe (snr) Go Loud!

.. and that other dad's nose is missing

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    The safe.

Just I fully believe that it is a real thing and I respect it.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    JimboJimbo down underRegistered User regular
    Really loving this story arc. Can't wait to see how it all goes down.

404 not found
  • Options
    NeuroskepticNeuroskeptic Registered User regular
    The safe.

Just I fully believe that it is a real thing and I respect it.
    Some say the Dark Deck has to be kept in the safe to protect it from thieves. They're wrong. The safe is to protect US.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Sneasel beat down man.

I was there.

We thought the wave was bad. We were wrong.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    GrandLlamaQGrandLlamaQ Registered User new member
    But what does "Go Loud" mean, anyway? Is it a reference I'm not getting?

• Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    In Rainbow Six: Vegas, at least, "Go Loud" was a phrase used when you issued an order to your squad to remove the silencers/suppressors from their guns - maybe it's the same idea here? He's being hands off and relatively stealthy in the whole "shadow dads" thing now, but is getting ready to step in. Or this is all just way off the mark :P

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    But what does "Go Loud" mean, anyway? Is it a reference I'm not getting?

It means shit's about to get real. You abandon stealth and subtlety for loud, deadly, and very abrupt machine gun fire. Generally used as a method of last resort, when a premium is placed on moving quietly and eliminating bad guys without drawing attention. @Ayulin got it right I think, RE: Shadow Dads. :)

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Dark Pokemon were always the coolest. Especially Murkrow and Honchcrow. Seriously, Mafia Pokemon.

murkrow.jpg
    430.png

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    MichelanvaloMichelanvalo Registered User regular
    Trench Noses.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    The art styles are starting to merge. This is the first stage.

The nose bleed.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    This is one of my favorites in a while.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Crystal2112Crystal2112 Registered User regular
    I don't get this story arc so far. I never knew how to properly play the Pokemon TCG (I always made up the rules and played it like the video games), so I'm really lost on this story.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I don't get this story arc so far. I never knew how to properly play the Pokemon TCG (I always made up the rules and played it like the video games), so I'm really lost on this story.
    Have you played any Collectible Card Games? I mean, I've never played the pokemon game, but I've got a pretty good grasp on what's going on from when I was experimenting with the M:tG scene.
    If you have, maybe someone could translate PokeCard speak into a style you're more familiar with.

see317 on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's not like you need to understand the intricacies of Pokemon TCG strategy and jargon they're referencing. The storyline is: 1) Lil' Gabe is going to his first tournament, 2) the bigger kids and kids getting helped by their dads are kicking Lil' Gabe's butt, 3) Big Gabe is about to lose his shit.

Don't see what's to "get" or be "lost" about.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    The art styles are starting to merge. This is the first stage.

The nose bleed.

Bravo, sir.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Bill_PeschelBill_Peschel Registered User regular

Me, too, which is why I've started coming here.

So, thanks to everyone for explaining the finer points.

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    The Dark Deck is the one Jerry mentioned in a newspost that essentially broke the game to Gabe's advantage, wasn't it? I could go check myself but that... would require some clicking.

Either way I've loved every part of this arc.

edit: Nope, that was the "Dark Dreams" (*snort*) deck.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    echo 78echo 78 Title Registered User regular
    Any storyline that involves Pokemon is a good storyline.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    Continuity!

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Heh, check out the "lyrics" at the bottom of today's newspost.

I'm guessing Jerry liked the Man of Steel teaser.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    I mean, you don't really need to understand the Pokemon TCG to understand what's going on here, do you? Gabe is just wanting his son to win, because if his son wins, he wins. The pinewood derby joke from the last comic is apt.

On the other hand, this is making me wish there was a cheap and easy way to play Pokemon TCG. I wish every TCG had a Duels of the Plansewalkers style game to play around in.

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    YashiYashi Registered User new member
    Myself, I am curious about the picture dictionary excerpted in the newspost. It looks most interesting, and I am eager to learn more.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    DVG wrote: »
    I mean, you don't really need to understand the Pokemon TCG to understand what's going on here, do you?

I wouldn't think so. Seems like instead of Pokemon he could be playing MTG or Yu-Gi-Oh (is that still a thing?) or whatever and the plot is the same. Lil' Gabe is too young to understand the finer points of the game and Big Gabe is stressing out about how much to help him.

• Options
    mnihilmnihil Registered User regular
    @Mr_Grinch - I laughed out loud at that. Indeed, one might say I lol'ed.

@DVG - Yeah, I actually dreaded a series of strips about Pokemon, knowing almost nothing about it, and I can still enjoy these. I think the most rudimentary knowledge of TCG, ... or competitiveness would suffice.

Regarding Tycho's post: Fuck do I wish I had a father like Jerry who would have taught me love and passion for words and narrative, instead of having to struggle to find it myself. The text photographed is really cute. I'm curious what Elliott will grow up to be.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Does anyone know what Picture Dictionary Tycho is referring to that he has a picture of in the post?

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    marsiliesmarsilies Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Incindium wrote: »
    Does anyone know what Picture Dictionary Tycho is referring to that he has a picture of in the post?
    Dunno, but here's the text transcribed
    Dear Boys and Girls:

In this book we have hidden many words. They are like gold, for they will help you when you need them. You will want them for your word friends. Hunt for them.
    They will help you to read;
    They will help you to spell;
    They will help you to write
    And to say things well.
    You will have fun hunting for new words.
    You will like the pictures.
    You will enjoy reading the stories.
    You will enjoy finding, all by yourself, words that will help you to read, to write, and to spell.
    We hope you will like this "Picture Dictionary" we have made for you.

The Authors

marsilies on
  • Options
    chaosyoshimagechaosyoshimage Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Yu-Gi-Oh (is that still a thing?)

It is, I play it, hence why I'm loving this story arc enough to be hear commenting about it. Although, I never got to compete in Yu-Gi-Oh! or Pokemon tournaments as a kid do to living in the middle of nowhere, and I still do. I heard some people at the nearby community college play Magic though, so maybe, just maybe I'll finally get to play TCG's with someone other than my little brother...

EDIT: Fixed, I didn't see that extra quote tag, thanks.

chaosyoshimage on
  • Options
    southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    marsilies wrote: »
    Dear Boys and Girls:

In this book we have hidden many words. They are like gold, for they will help you when you need them. You will want them for your word friends. Hunt for them.
    And to say things well.
    You will enjoy finding, all by yourself, words that will help you to read, to write, and to spell.

The Authors

I am curious too.

• Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited July 2012
    marsilies wrote: »
    Dear Boys and Girls:

And to say things well.

The Authors

I don't know, but when I went looking for it I found this, which is not even close to what I was looking for, but it looks quite good so I thought it was worth mentioning!

Ramius on
  • Options
    atlratlr Registered User new member
    edited July 2012
    I searched around for the aforementioned dictionary too and could not identify it. Perhaps this tome is home-made or is an artifact akin to a family Bible.

One could imagine Tycho arming a child with "My First Dictionary."
    harpercollins.com/books/My-First-Dictionary-Ross-Horsley?isbn=9780062000019&HCHP=TB_My+First+Dictionary

atlr on
  • Options
    FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    Yu-Gi-Oh (is that still a thing?)

It is, I play it, hence why I'm loving this story arc enough to be hear commenting about it. Although, I never got to compete in Yu-Gi-Oh! or Pokemon tournaments as a kid do to living in the middle of nowhere, and I still do. I heard some people at the nearby community college play Magic though, so maybe, just maybe I'll finally get to play TCG's with someone other than my little brother...

EDIT: Um, I don't post often, why is my whole post a quote instead of just the part in quote tags?

You messed up editing the quote chain. You left an extra [quote="DVG;23793058"] in there.

you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    atlr wrote: »
    I searched around for the aforementioned dictionary too and could not identify it. Perhaps this tome is home-made or is an artifact akin to a family Bible.

One could imagine Tycho arming a child with "My First Dictionary."
    harpercollins.com/books/My-First-Dictionary-Ross-Horsley?isbn=9780062000019&HCHP=TB_My+First+Dictionary

I'm wondering if it is http://www.amazon.com/Giant-Picture-Dictionary-Boys-Girls/dp/0710505221/
    which was the origin of the images used in the Ross Horsley "My First Dictionary."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TleilaxuTleilaxu Registered User regular
    atlr wrote: »
    Perhaps this tome is home-made or is an artifact akin to a family Bible.

I would gladly trade my soul for a Brahe Dictionarybible. Or several dollars to the kickstarter.

checkpointangrybirds.gif
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Yeah, it's not like you need to understand the intricacies of Pokemon TCG strategy and jargon they're referencing. The storyline is: 1) Lil' Gabe is going to his first tournament, 2) the bigger kids and kids getting helped by their dads are kicking Lil' Gabe's butt, 3) Big Gabe is about to lose his shit.

Don't see what's to "get" or be "lost" about.

People are terrible at reading comprehension and making inferences based on context.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    EssThreeEssThree Registered User regular
    First post ever to ask about the dictionary too. Totally want one for my nephew!

• Options
    Can someone with a Twitter account hit up Tycho about the Dictionary?

steam_sig.png