As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I liked the [chat] better than the book

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    so I has a job offer

they gave me a 12% increase in what they were initially offering based on my interviews

which is great because I really love this firm

this is the one we talked about or the houston one
    the one we talked about

you are privy to insider knowledge

short TYR

UR ONE RUDE DUDE

i could have gone with ANUS for ur ticker bro

i pulled that punch 4 u

(lets play day z)
    i would just shoot you and take your beans

if you shoot me how will we short the lives of other survivors together

we need to leverage that shit

2x short other survivors fund

ticker? BNZ

919UOwT.png
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    2clgJ.png

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    the thing is that Tolkien's prose was, in general, much more beautiful than GRRM's

Tolkien had a really tight grasp of the prose conventions for telling fables while also having a flair for rich description of the fantastical. I mean:
    A creature of an older world maybe it was, whose kind, lingering in forgotten mountains cold beneath the Moon, outstayed their day, and in hideous eyrie bred this last untimely brood, apt to evil. And the Dark Lord took it, and nursed it with fell meats, until it grew beyond the measure of all other things that fly; and he gave it to his servant to be his steed.

Fell meats. It is possible that there not a greater noun phrase in all of fantasy.

So you've pretty much convinced me that I desperately need to read those books again now that I'm not in Jr. High.

Because yeah, that shit is delicious.

I used to talk shit about Tolkien, I really did, when I was a teenage nerd

but I was so wrong

he has absolutely beautiful writing

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    so on saturday my fiancee and i wanted to go to this food truck that we've heard about that makes really good hot dogs

unfortunately the only way they update their location is twitter

neither of us have, or want twitter accounts

so it was like a mexican standoff to see who would make the twitter account

(we wound up calling her little brother who got on the tweets and twitters and told us where it was)

This seems like more work than just signing up. Twitter is awesome. You can take all those pages' news feeds you normally visit, and put them into a single Twitter feed. You never actually have to tweet.

Vanguard is tricking you.

If you do not tweet, twitter will tweet you.

THEY KNOW WHERE YOU SLEEP

Lh96QHG.png
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    the thing is that Tolkien's prose was, in general, much more beautiful than GRRM's

Tolkien had a really tight grasp of the prose conventions for telling fables while also having a flair for rich description of the fantastical. I mean:
    A creature of an older world maybe it was, whose kind, lingering in forgotten mountains cold beneath the Moon, outstayed their day, and in hideous eyrie bred this last untimely brood, apt to evil. And the Dark Lord took it, and nursed it with fell meats, until it grew beyond the measure of all other things that fly; and he gave it to his servant to be his steed.

Fell meats. It is possible that there not a greater noun phrase in all of fantasy.

that kind of thing is what I like about Tolkien

there are forgotten things from an older world gnawing at the roots of the world in dark places. I just get the feeling that his world is so big and unknowable.

ftOqU21.png
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    yeah vanguard their whole deal is creepy as shit

which is like

the whole point

I understand, but I don't need to actually hear their pillowtalk to understand that. "Incest is creepy" is a cultural assumption.

Vivid descriptions about how X fucked Y during her period on her mother's altar doesn't accomplish more than a hint would.

same thing can be applied to pretty much every description written.

The this logical train's last stop is the tweet. Do you really want to find yourself there?

Get off now!

twitterature is a thing

I am pulling the whistle chain over and over. I am getting off this terrible ride before twitterature is a thing that I know about. Fuck you I didn't even hear what you said.

Let me ooooooffffffff

This is more than 140 characters, Spool

Suddenly not sure if I should be pleased or ashamed.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Is a 7-800 dollar monthly student loan payment normal? That seems high. D:

What's the total value of the loan and the length of the repayment period?
    About 60k and I don't know they won't let me change it.

Sounds about right for a 10 year term and 8% interest.

And yes it is high, but $60k is a lot of debt and if you're on a 10 year term, that is unusually short.

Also, recent interest rate hikes for student loans are shitty shitty shit.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    i liked the tweet about the Superb Owl

there are forgotten things from an older world gnawing at the roots of the world in dark places. I just get the feeling that his world is so big and unknowable.

it's very Norse, isn't it

I really like the word fell

and tolkien uses it well

fell beasts and fell meats and fell deeds.

ftOqU21.png
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Stop talking about student loans, if I ignore them they don't exist yet.

Lh96QHG.png
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    so on saturday my fiancee and i wanted to go to this food truck that we've heard about that makes really good hot dogs

unfortunately the only way they update their location is twitter

neither of us have, or want twitter accounts

so it was like a mexican standoff to see who would make the twitter account

(we wound up calling her little brother who got on the tweets and twitters and told us where it was)

This seems like more work than just signing up. Twitter is awesome. You can take all those pages' news feeds you normally visit, and put them into a single Twitter feed. You never actually have to tweet.

Vanguard is tricking you.

If you do not tweet, twitter will tweet you.

THEY KNOW WHERE YOU SLEEP

Our official position is that we do not maintain quotas.

I will have to speak to the Others for your reassignment now.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I really like the word fell

and tolkien uses it well

fell beasts and fell meats and fell deeds.

Billy fell down the well

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    Sheep wrote: »
    Sheep, that seems like a pretty substantial claim to be making?

What? That the police ensure the rule of law?

Well then I guess that means that with the right amount of police there would not be any crime, right?

Not any more then suggesting that with the right amount of doctors means there would be no more death.

the best parts are definitely "fell meats" and "forgotten mountains cold beneath the Moon" and "apt to evil"

just the whole thing, it's so tight and perfect

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Awww, steam summer sale is over.

Inquisitor on

which is like

the whole point

I understand, but I don't need to actually hear their pillowtalk to understand that. "Incest is creepy" is a cultural assumption.

Vivid descriptions about how X fucked Y during her period on her mother's altar doesn't accomplish more than a hint would.

The this logical train's last stop is the tweet. Do you really want to find yourself there?

Get off now!

twitterature is a thing

I am pulling the whistle chain over and over. I am getting off this terrible ride before twitterature is a thing that I know about. Fuck you I didn't even hear what you said.

Let me ooooooffffffff

i'm sorry 2 say that's only fifty seven of the allotted one hundred and forty characters. U really need 2 make your tweets more efficiently.

919UOwT.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Leitner wrote: »
    Sheep wrote: »
    Sheep, that seems like a pretty substantial claim to be making?

What? That the police ensure the rule of law?

Well then I guess that means that with the right amount of police there would not be any crime, right?

Not any more then suggesting that with the right amount of doctors means there would be no more death.

Well if everyone was a police officer there would be no more crimes. Or at least, no one would get charged with any. :P

yJM4D.png

it's very Norse, isn't it

Basically all of our folklore since ever is like this. This just is that kind of landscape.

ftOqU21.png
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I do plan in giving Tolkien a second look. I read him, or tried to, when I was functionally illiterate.

Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    yJM4D.png

hahaha

yesss

ftOqU21.png
    the best parts are definitely "fell meats" and "forgotten mountains cold beneath the Moon" and "apt to evil"

just the whole thing, it's so tight and perfect

it gives me a total prose boner

ftOqU21.png
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    "forgotten mountains cold beneath the Moon"

I don't understand what this means.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

edited July 2012
    Feral wrote: »

cold mountains in the night far, far away where no man no longer treads

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png

which is like

the whole point

Get off now!

twitterature is a thing

Let me ooooooffffffff

i'm sorry 2 say that's only fifty seven of the allotted one hundred and forty characters. U really need 2 make your tweets more efficiently.

I'm not counting your characters! I am filling up this rabbit hole and stomping upon the awkward mound that marks where it's darkened maw once moaned to the world.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, how long before the Teapers lose their shit over this?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    Are the mountains only cold when they're beneath the moon?

Does that mean they're warm when it's daytime?

That's not very scary.

Or does he mean that the mountains are always beneath the moon? That the cycle of day and night doesn't apply to those mountains? That's kind of weird. How would that even work? Does that mean that the moon is in two places at once when it's nighttime in other regions?

Maybe there's two moons?

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    feral dnt b a poop plz

obF2Wuw.png

It 'means' nothing. It's a visual image, meant to evoke a sense of desolation and cold abandoned dim, where even the minimal light only serves to wash the color out of everything.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    gooey you know you can look at twitter accounts without an account

poo

which is like

the whole point

Get off now!

twitterature is a thing

Let me ooooooffffffff

I'm not counting your characters! I am filling up this rabbit hole and stomping upon the awkward mound that marks where it's darkened maw once moaned to the world.

one hundred and sixy four bro. you need to take off twenty four characters if you want to make this a tweet on the twitter website, spool32.

919UOwT.png
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Is a 7-800 dollar monthly student loan payment normal? That seems high. D:

What's the total value of the loan and the length of the repayment period?
    About 60k and I don't know they won't let me change it.

Sounds about right for a 10 year term and 8% interest.

And yes it is high, but $60k is a lot of debt and if you're on a 10 year term, that is unusually short.

Also, recent interest rate hikes for student loans are shitty shitty shit.

The hikes hit grad school loans and only those made after July, 2012. Yeah they suck. I know because they fuck me. But also you should talk to the loan folks because they can set up different payment plans based on income and where you live.

If they are fed loans, they rather work with you than have you default. Also if you are teaching then you can get different stuff due to it being on the list of jobs they want people to do.

Student loans since Obama came into office changed a lot. And his cap on how much of your salary per year you pay if you talk to them helps a lot.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Tolkien just fucking knew language

his made-up ones are also great

BARUK KHAZAD! KHAZAD AI-MENU!

ftOqU21.png
    edited July 2012
    gooey you know you can look at twitter accounts without an account

shut up u butt

(i did not even know this and my fiancees little brother was like, "you people are so out of touch" and i am all "WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU PEOPLE" and he was all "OLD PEOPLE" then later i got like 3 hotdogs and sobbed while i ate them)

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
    Are the mountains only cold when they're beneath the moon?

Does that mean they're warm when it's daytime?

That's not very scary.

Or does he mean that the mountains are always beneath the moon? That the cycle of day and night doesn't apply to those mountains? That's kind of weird. How would that even work? Does that mean that the moon is in two places at once when it's nighttime in other regions?

Maybe there's two moons?

Dude, you're over thinking:

Forgotten mountains: ancient, hulking lands far from where man treads

cold beneath the moon: dark, forgotten, unforgiving, shadows of the waking world

Lh96QHG.png
    spool there is no way you are too good for twitter. I promise you, you are not too perfect for the website twitter.com

Tg0Dm.png

Feral you are no longer allowed to read books.

ftOqU21.png
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

which is like

the whole point

Get off now!

twitterature is a thing

Let me ooooooffffffff

*The text of your tweet is too long.*

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
This discussion has been closed.