As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Another [Final Fantasy] Thread is done before FF XIII Versus

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Boy, that is one ugly girl dinosaur.

Oh, you never knew Azala was actually female? Well now you do.

themoreyouknow.jpg

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    Eh, I figured as a counterpoint to Ayla she was of female persuasion.

Or genderless.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    I always figured she was Italian.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Who has two thumbs and managed to procure two economizers from the Phoenix Cave, before he found Locke? 8-)

Also I chose the Esper Ragnarok over the Sword.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Well played, Lucid.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    So the PC rerelease for VII is out today. it's already in the EU SE store, but not in the US, but should be there later.

Gonna hold off until I hear from others about the port quality; if it's just 99% the old PC version, with cloud saves and achievements, or if they actually did anything to make it a higher quality port.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    DraguscloudDraguscloud Registered User regular
    So the PC rerelease for VII is out today. it's already in the EU SE store, but not in the US, but should be there later.

Gonna hold off until I hear from others about the port quality; if it's just 99% the old PC version, with cloud saves and achievements, or if they actually did anything to make it a higher quality port.

You can see screenshots in the US store: http://store.na.square-enix.com/store/sqenixus/en_US/pd/productID.250845500#.UCp4d01lTYp

They at least look like the game runs at a higher resolution.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    That doesn't really look any higher rez than the original pc release really. And the backgrounds are still as low res as ever.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited August 2012

You can see screenshots in the US store: http://store.na.square-enix.com/store/sqenixus/en_US/pd/productID.250845500#.UCp4d01lTYp

They at least look like the game runs at a higher resolution.

I'm getting such a Dragonball vibe from that capsule car they're driving behind Cloud. Can't believe I didn't notice that when I originally played the game.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    I'm very curious to see screenshots taken by someone actually playing it. I'd like to see how it looks at 1920x1080.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I'm very curious to see screenshots taken by someone actually playing it. I'd like to see how it looks at 1920x1080.

A few pics have been posted in GAF.

dQHkX.png

The model for Young Tifa is the same as the regular one, just smaller. In hindsight that's kind of disturbing.

iE26L.png

I won't be surprised to hear that people will cancel their orders because of this one change here.

So far it sounds like it runs fine, but the music is still the crappy PC version and the "upscaling" is minimal at best. I don't see much reason to double dip on this besides digital prosperity.

• Options
    Eeeh, having a version of VII that works natively in Windows after 98 is actually kind of a big deal. It took hours and hours of finding just the right patches the last time I tried it.

• Options
    Do we know what the achievement list is?

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    You can apparently see friends' achievements on their S-E profile, but I cannot get the site login on their awful website to work to see if it's possible to check the list from there.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I just started XIII-2, fweeee!

What's the Crystarium optimization thingie? I thought there was a pretty easy pattern, share please?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    I just started XIII-2, fweeee!

What's the Crystarium optimization thingie? I thought there was a pretty easy pattern, share please?

Large node bonuses:

2 strength for commando, levelling odd to even as a Saboteur
    2 magic for ravager, levelling even to odd as a Saboteur, levelling even to odd as a Synergist
    6 hp for the rest

Just save before you mess around with it and generally do it all at once to prevent yourself from making mistakes.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Oh hey, here's the list:
    End of Part 1: Finish disc 1.
    End of Part 2: Finish disc 2.
    End of Game: Complete the game.
    Master Materia: Master one Materia
    Master of Gil: Get 99,999,999 Gil
    Top Level: Reach level 99 with one character
    Knights of the Round: Get this materia
    Omnislash: Use this limit break
    Next 8 achievements: Same for each character's ultimate limit break]
    Bahamut Zero: Get this Materia
    [Ultimate/Diamond/Emerald/Ruby] Weapon: Defeat the mentioned Weapon
    [Vincent/Yuffie]: Recruit this character
    Braver: Use this limit break
    [x8 for every character's first limit break]
    Gold Chocobo: Get One
    Materia Overlord: Master all Materia
    Battle Square: Start a fight in the Battle Square
    Won 1st Battle: You win your first battle

Not very creative names. I am disappoint.

• Options
    Yep, that certainly satisfies the minimum standard for being achievements for a game.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Those are pretty terrible achievements. I mean, most of them you're gonna get just by going through the game. The only ones that are of any effort are master of gil, top level, and Materia overload, just because they need so much goddamn grinding.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    This whole "port"/update is weird to me. The fact that they've updated it to add some spelling/translation fixes and bare minimum achievements, and apparently some kind of built-in character editor? while simultaneously implementing all of this exclusively on their store rather than Steam, or really *anywhere* else where it might get more notice, is just weird.

• Options
    I liked my own made up achievements better. There was next-to-no-effort with these. :(

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Oh hey, here's the list:

Where's the go on a date with Barret achievement?

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    This whole "port"/update is weird to me. The fact that they've updated it to add some spelling/translation fixes and bare minimum achievements, and apparently some kind of built-in character editor? while simultaneously implementing all of this exclusively on their store rather than Steam, or really *anywhere* else where it might get more notice, is just weird.

PC version already had bugfixes and an updated script.

• Options

PC version already had bugfixes and an updated script.

Oh? I never actually played it back in the day. I've only ever played the PSX version.

• Options
    Yeah, the PC version differences include those changes along with slightly higher resolution character models, shittier quality music, and awful looking FMVs.

• Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    I won't be surprised to hear that people will cancel their orders because of this one change here.

So, they fix that, but not Aerith's default name? Unless, of course, the guy taking the screenshots is firmly in the 's' camp, and not the 'th' camp.

PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    So, I've never seen it mentioned here, but the good boys and girls at Qhimm have got something pretty awesome that's worth sharing: Tifa's Bootleg, the cleverly titled FFVII mod manager.

Besides being punny and the website having cool shots of Tifa kicking the air, the program itself literally has dozens of mods that you can plug and play into the same installation of FFVII. Most are graphical, but the usual game mechanics, better music and dialog mods are there too (I recommend the "break 9999" fix, myself).

The results are...pretty interesting. Keep in mind, these each represent one option (of a few), whether they be title screen, character icons, world textures, etc. Perhaps the biggest advantage is that you can chose multiple options for everything (which world models to use, which environmental backgrounds, etc.). Most of us are familiar with FFVII modding, but this really gives you all the major options at your fingertips. I'm still experimenting, but here's what I've got for now:

01.png

02-1.png

03-1.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

I apologize for the weird sizes of the screencaptures, alt+prtscrn wasn't working, so I had to run it windowed with the snipping tool (which is great for desktops, but not so much for games), and had to disable the post-processing shaders (not available for windowed) . I haven't enabled FSAA either, though I'm doing it now. Especially for all things dealing with Sony, I'm a big proponent of choice, and Tifa's Bootleg offers that: don't like the filter options intended to reduce the pixel-heavy backgrounds? Use the defaults! Really, the only two disadvantages are that it's a little tricky to install properly the first time, and that it can swell your installation from 460 mb to between 5 and 9 GB depending on what mods you use.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    KILL IT WITH FIRE. FIRE 3. WITH ALL.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Mission accomplished. :)

*switches back to Midi music, just because*

EDIT: Also, I'm still wondering which old PC release of the game had lower quality video than the PS1 version. Because I could swear that the one I picked up (the original) did not. Video quality was actually substantially better than what was on the PS1.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »
    Oh hey, here's the list:

Where's the go on a date with Barret achievement?

In my dreams. :cry:

I don't think the human-proportioned models work in the FF7 world.

• Options
    How human proportioned are we saying here? Human proportioned as the original battle models?

• Options
    I dunno, that scene with Cloud and President Shinra looks like they don't fit in a field screen designed for the Animesque Popeye-armed guys. The battle screen is different since the proportions change to accomodate them.

• Options
    That's a fair opinion, but I don't see it (scale is an issue, but the background environments in much of the game are extremely detailed even within their resolutions that the more complex models make sense).

I would say it's more of an animation issue (since that's harder to change since skeletons are largely fixed). FFVIII was also filled with weird animation quirks here and there (it just wasn't noticeable on the PC because of how immediately ugly the PC port was).

Then again, I suppose it goes to the bridge between VI and the later games. A lot of people really like the sort of SD-esque character avatars, and that's a reasonable opinion (you can even default to them in Bootleg if you care to).

• Options
    FF VIII had consistent character models in everything but the CGI, so did IX and X for that matter.

FF VII has what, three different models at least, not including the CGI ones?

• Options
    To my knowledge VII had five.

- Standard Field Screen
    - Standard Battle
    - Enhanced Field: Seen in some FMVs. Recognised by having a mouth
    - Enhanced Battle: Seen in the final final battle
    - High Quality: Seen in other FMVs

VI also mastered the trick of a single model regardless of the situation.

• Options
    Shame they didn't do consistent animation work until around X.

CGI's don't count for obvious reasons, since it's applicable to all of them. X (and X-2) likewise had "detailed" versus "world" models for the main cast (I can only speculate as to why they didn't used the detailed models outside of a few in-engine cinematics in X, though in X-2 the reasons are more obvious).

The games were not terribly consistent about the meshes used.

• Options
    Oh, I just remembered the "best" lip syncing ever when you mentioned X-2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXMFwu1sS8w

• Options
    I "love" how that scene is basically representative of a good 80% of FFX.

Really love it. On the bright side, it inspired a battalion of Youtube videos involving loud techno music.

...I got nothing.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Shame they didn't do consistent animation work until around X.

CGI's don't count for obvious reasons, since it's applicable to all of them. X (and X-2) likewise had "detailed" versus "world" models for the main cast (I can only speculate as to why they didn't used the detailed models outside of a few in-engine cinematics in X, though in X-2 the reasons are more obvious).

The games were not terribly consistent about the meshes used.

IIRC, didn't FFXII also have two different models? One for cutscenes with moving mouths and one for normal gameplay?