As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Beginning of the [chat]

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    skippy

are you out of control

play the best song in the world

or i'll eat your soul

i will play it

but i will not commit it to memory

later i may or may not play a different song

in a tribute

to the best song in the world

i just saw them the other day

they were excellent live

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Damnit, beaten by a5ehren!

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    iHFPD.png

The snap heard round the world.

sick burn

sig.gif
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    There was a chocolate and equipment demonstration down at the French Pastry School in Chicago today. My boss let a bunch of us take off work and go down with him. He pays for our train tickets down there. It was sort of a bust, not so much a "demonstration" as it was a sales pitch. So instead we went across the street and got Giordano's. 4 large pizzas and 8 pitchers of beer later (that's 8 pitchers for the ten of us), he grabs the check and pays. Then he pays for all our train tickets back to the bakery. While we were eating someone said we should try to figure out how to do a company outing to a White Sox games. My boss goes "August 20th, we're doing it."

Commence being jealous.

Eh, if you were going to a Cubs game I might be a bit green in the gills. Enjoy your time at cellular telephone park.

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
  • Options
    Chu, check with your school's library before you photocopy anything. A lot of schools have a couple copies of textbooks being used on the reserve shelf. Typically they're either all reference books/in library use only, but you might be able to check them out as well. Regardless that way you could possibly get away with not spending any monies on them.

If you do, though, rent don't buy. The amount you'd get back at the end of the year is worth less than setting the books on fire for warmth in the winter.

• Options
    Also, if your school doesn't they or your local branch library can still put in an ILL request from Worldcat.org and potentially get it to you for free.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    hmmm cool

ok thanks

anything i can do to save some scratch! daddy needs a new haircut and also contacts! and also high class call girls!

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    *cuts cocaine into lines of code

snort.ass {underage}*

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    There was a chocolate and equipment demonstration down at the French Pastry School in Chicago today. My boss let a bunch of us take off work and go down with him. He pays for our train tickets down there. It was sort of a bust, not so much a "demonstration" as it was a sales pitch. So instead we went across the street and got Giordano's. 4 large pizzas and 8 pitchers of beer later (that's 8 pitchers for the ten of us), he grabs the check and pays. Then he pays for all our train tickets back to the bakery. While we were eating someone said we should try to figure out how to do a company outing to a White Sox games. My boss goes "August 20th, we're doing it."

Commence being jealous.

Eh, if you were going to a Cubs game I might be a bit green in the gills. Enjoy your time at cellular telephone park.

I've been to Cubs games. But now it's time to watch a home team that might win.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    It was about a dude going to jail and he was telling leadup stuff and life in jail. Kind of a PA Tour thing going on.
    I only just now got it.
    215178923_bgddb-L-2.jpg

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    It was about a dude going to jail and he was telling leadup stuff and life in jail. Kind of a PA Tour thing going on.
    I only just now got it.
    215178923_bgddb-L-2.jpg

Funny thing about that comic (in retrospect) is that they actually can afford it now :P

a5ehren on
  • Options
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    USC students are building a working Holodeck from Star Trek.

Kinda interesting they decided to go with a Playstation Move as part of their system, though. Gonna have to read up on it some...

How is [chat] doing today?

工事中
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Because when CS Lewis says it, it must be true!

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    my wife is going to make me a breakfast smoothie with 4 god damn cups of spinach in it

i will blow out my o ring y/y

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    the number of computer science books worth keeping is very small

i had none of those books as textbooks for my courses

i have some books now i will probably keep around, maybe reread occasionally

There are a few CS classics every coder should have on their shelf. I would hope those would be required reading for CS courses.

Stuff like "Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software ", "The Art of Agile Development", "The Mythical Man Month". It's not as relevant any more but "Essential COM" (the first few chapters) is something any C++ coder should read even on non-windows systems (since it is talking about how and why COM evolved out of C++), " C++ coding standards : 101 rules, guidelines, and best practices" etc...

I would add the "Graphics Gems" series for anyone involved in graphics or games.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    By the way, Chat, I love how it's totally alright and not pathetic to read comic books but My Little Pony is just disgusting and obviously for pedophiles.

Quote some more CS Lewis, it'll make you feel better about essentially doing the same thing as a Brony.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edy u seme mad

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    South hostSouth host I obey without question Registered User regular

Proof that the federal government funded the shooting, because he was a DARPA mind control drone, carrying out the attack so the U.N. global arm ban will be passed.

Obviously.

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
  • Options
    Eddy wrote: »
    By the way, Chat, I love how it's totally alright and not pathetic to read comic books but My Little Pony is just disgusting and obviously for pedophiles.

Quote some more CS Lewis, it'll make you feel better about essentially doing the same thing as a Brony.

*hugs close to chest*

*smells hair*

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

If someone was reading comic books aimed at girls aged 5-11 I'd agree with you

But then again I don't really give a dang about My Little Pony either

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    I have no problem with MLP. The Bronies on the other hand...

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    i know this depends hugely on the quality of the text

but did any of you dudes in technical fields find that it was worthy to keep your books after a class' conclusion? or was it basically fuck dat

apparently my school offers the option to 'rent' textbooks at a decent discount (i.e. cheaper than buying used + getting whatever paltry price the bookstore offers if you resell)

I saved a bunch of my textbooks and come back to them from time to time, but screw it, rent them if it's cheaper. If you really need them later, you can buy better, more current texts when you are employed.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    I missed the jail thread and I am curious.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    But I don't read comic books either. So I don't really have a pony in this race

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    For my courses this summer, the books they sold me were just a stack of papers wrapped in plastic. For 200+ dollars, I kinda expected a spine.

• Options

It is?

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular

It's generally not a good idea to conflate Bronies and My Little Pony.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    When did Eddy start watching My Little Pony?

[/McCarthy]

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular

Me hating Bronies would be like other people hating me for thinking that Hey! Arnold is a cool show despite it being for kids.

Now, if I had Hey! Arnold sheets, pillows, toys and shit and tried to tell everybody I met about how great it was, I would not be surprised if they tried to punch me in the face.

• Options
    And yet things aimed at 5-11 boys are alright? Where are the feminists here? Have they all gone to pat themselves on the back for winning the war against societally defined gender expectations?

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    why the long face

• Options
    edited July 2012
    DK wrote:
    When did Eddy start watching My Little Pony?

[/McCarthy]

Eddy I'll let this slide if you can just give me the names of two other Bronies. Otherwise I'm gonna have to talk to your wife... *glances at dossier* Lisa? And your two gorgeous children. Twins, aren't they?

*grinds out cigarette angrily*

Organichu on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i luv u al gud nite

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Hey! Arnold was a pretty good show. I totally want that kids apartment.

• Options
  • Options

Me hating Bronies would be like other people hating me for thinking that Hey! Arnold is a cool show despite it being for kids.

Now, if I had Hey! Arnold sheets, pillows, toys and shit and tried to tell everybody I met about how great it was, I would not be surprised if they tried to punch me in the face.

Hey! Arnold was pretty bad ass

If someone had a replica of Arnold's room I would be their friend

C8Ft8GE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.