As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] OLD THREAD LEAVE GO BYE SEE YA

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Alright. I'll give that a shot later today.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    Hah!!! I tried the double flamer vorcha and the fricking banshee was gone in seconds!!! SECONDS!!

• Options
    EnderEnder Registered User regular
    uh

so

you can

fire the Reegar

while the Flamer is working?

good lord

my vorcha soldier was already awesome and fun

this might make it MOAR fun

• Options
    Oh, I didn't fire them at the same time. Just a quick dose of the reegar to strip the barrier, then throw on the armor melting flamer. Perfect banshee combo!!!

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Who cares about victory goals, anyway? They've been worth it, like, three times. Once for an N7 weapon, once for an ultra-rare, and once for an Earth character (not worth it if you already had them all). They should have offered N7 weapons in them all the time. It's not like anyone is bothering to look for a Crusader V when they can get an all-around better Piranha X first.

If they wanted to make victory packs amazing they could have them include a card that would give +1 level to any weapon you apply it to, regardless of rarity.

That's a good idea.

So naturally it has no chance of being implemented ever.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    ShaggyShaggy Registered User regular
    Ender wrote: »
    uh

so

you can

fire the Reegar

good lord

With Vorcha Soldier did you skip Carnage and max everything else? I feel like the Vorcha are like the Ex-Cerb guys in that they have essentially the same abilities, but one has a power that isn't as effective so it makes it easier to skip it all together. Then again, I almost never play a class with Carnage so I'm not sure what kind of uses it has.

• Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    Who cares about victory goals, anyway? They've been worth it, like, three times. Once for an N7 weapon, once for an ultra-rare, and once for an Earth character (not worth it if you already had them all). They should have offered N7 weapons in them all the time. It's not like anyone is bothering to look for a Crusader V when they can get an all-around better Piranha X first.

If they wanted to make victory packs amazing they could have them include a card that would give +1 level to any weapon you apply it to, regardless of rarity.

That's a good idea.

They'll implement the +1 card idea, but you'll be able to buy it for 250,000 credits. And every one in five purchases will actually give you an Eagle.

• Options
    EnderEnder Registered User regular
    Shaggy wrote: »
    Ender wrote: »
    uh

so

you can

fire the Reegar

good lord

With Vorcha Soldier did you skip Carnage and max everything else? I feel like the Vorcha are like the Ex-Cerb guys in that they have essentially the same abilities, but one has a power that isn't as effective so it makes it easier to skip it all together. Then again, I almost never play a class with Carnage so I'm not sure what kind of uses it has.

yeah, I totally skip carnage

it's good

but

I felt it better to max everything else out

without max Bloodlust for HP regen

it's waaaaaaaay too easy to die

• Options
    Yeah, skip the carnage (with the proviso that with the reegar as weapon you'll have zero long-range ability, tough on some missions like hacks) on vorcha soldier.

• Options
    Ides of MarchIdes of March Registered User regular
    So, my count for the weekend was 6 bronze, 6 silver and 10 gold matches past wave 10. I was going to go by a 2-2-1 ratio until I saw the midway results and figured there was not a chance. Oh well - unobtainable goal was unobtainable.

I seem to have a lot better luck than many of you when it comes to unlocking characters. I have all of the characters, with only 5 appearance customizations left to unlock. I also have all of the rare weapons fully unlocked - missing plenty of ultra-rares, and a ton of gear, but so far I've only once received a level IV ammo. The PSPs seem to give me things I don't have quite normally. Maybe I just play too much.

• Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    My friend and I have been playing this game fairly often since release.

He has yet to unlock a single Krogan. His favorite race in the universe. He has so many Weapon Xs and customization for everything else.

I find this somewhat hilarious.

• Options
    AgusalimAgusalim Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    i was playing a pug earlier and i thought it was one of those wonderful games where your team just instantly gels, everything goes together brilliantly, nobody does anything dumb and basically its smooth as butter

seriously everything was just melting before us

then i noticed that the reason everything was melting before us was that one of the players had a magical disciple that could oneshot primes from across the map

oh

Agusalim on
  • Options
    ILMTitanILMTitan Registered User regular
    My favorite thing about the Vorcha Sentinel is he is the best class at creating fire explosions. Light a small group of mooks with flamer and kill one with a cluster grenade, and watch the rest die in a firey explosion.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I really want a class that can actually use carnage well. Vorcha soldier isn't bad, it's just all his points are better spent on other stuff. And similar deal with the krogan soldier, he's just not much of a caster.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    carnage just isn't great in general

i used to use it on my krogan soldier, but that was before grenades were amazing

i guess the battlefield 3 promo soldier is probably the best carnage platform

it's at least better than concussive shot

• Options
    Phoenix138Phoenix138 ArizonaRegistered User regular
    Carnage comes from the period of time where rather than making soldiers completely independent of cooldowns they gave them weak powers that you were better off not using.

• Options
    LegendofLinkLegendofLink Registered User regular
    I miss ME1 Carnage, when it was a special shot from the shotgun that more or less melted whatever you hit with it. Now it's just an incinerate the gibs things.

• Options
    An ME1-esque power would actually be pretty sweet, come to think of it

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    VicktorVicktor Infidel Castro Rancho ChupacabraRegistered User regular
    Phoenix138 wrote: »
    Carnage comes from the period of time where rather than making soldiers completely independent of cooldowns they gave them weak powers that you were better off not using.

It was in part due to the choices they put upon you in multiplayer. Shepard can take advantage of the Adrenaline rush bullet-time, and still have the weight capacity to carry big guns and use the power regularly. Shepard is already nearly independent of cooldowns anyway, so the weak powers were jut to differentiate her from the more power based classes.

They really should have tailored the class skill trees more in multiplayer. The human soldier (all soldiers really) shouldn't have to pick between weight capacty+power damage OR weapon damage. Her main power uses weapon damage. They've buffed the human soldier's base weight capacity and most weapons that adrenaline rush benefits best since release, so it is better now than it was. But it still seems like a silly choice for the 'heavy weapon class' to have to make. And why the 'don't care about CDs' soldiers and sentineels are so popular.

It would be nice if Adrenaline rush and Marksman became togglable for reduced CD like Tactical Cloak and Flamer. Unless they are and it shows how much Human/Turian soldier I've been playing.

Carnage being a tech detonator *can* be beneficial, but not worth dumping all the points into to make it provide the highest level detonations. It's probably better off letting another engineer/sentinel/vanguard do the tech bursting. Still, it can be better than no tech bursts. And it has a decent stagger associated with it.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Viycktor
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    It breaks my heart when you guys hate Rio.
    I know why , but fuck, it's my city.

Anyways, when do we get our packs?

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Problem with carnage is detonator is that it's a super slow moving power, so by the time your projectile actually reaches your target the effect may well be over

• Options
    DreadBertDreadBert Registered User regular

That's a good idea.

Just giving us one of something we dont have would get a good bit of interest going.

i.e. kit then gun then gear.

• Options
    SkexisSkexis Registered User regular
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    jefe414 wrote: »
    So I just received a Vorcha sentinel. What's the recommended power breakdown + weapon selection?

There is only Reegar. A weapon you can fire WHILE you're roasting your enemies? Double Crispy! Short bursts with the Flamer + Reegar = disgustingly high DPS. Any of the other good shotguns will also work, but seriously, double rainbow flamethrowers all the way!

For the Vorcha, I put 6 into bloodlust (all health buffs)
    4 into Flamer (I go with dmg, but range is also useful)
    6 into Cluster Grenades (dmg, max+, dmg)
    5 into Vorcha Resilience (power buffs)
    6 into Fitness (take all health buffs, but skip shield recharge for extra melee. You're going to spend most of the round with your shields gone, might as well learn to accept it ;-))

Then run with some sort of extra grenade perk, toss grenades into clusters of enemies and go nuts with your double flamethrowers. Make sure to pick up a few easier kills at the start of each encounter/round to get your health regen pumping.

You'll be able to break ALL the fans.

Personally I went with full points into flamer, and kept the shield regen with 0 into cluster grenade. The shield gate will save you more often than you think, since it's basically a couple of seconds of really high damage reduction. You get hit by a nemesis sniper rifle round, it doesn't matter if you have 300 shield or 3 shield, the shield gate acts the same and stops right when it reaches health. That means fast shield regen (and getting your shield repeatedly broken) can work in your favor quite a bit. Just remember to pace yourself. If Krogans are Mike Tyson, then Vorcha are Little Mac. So get in your shots, and then back away and get your bearings.

Oddly enough, the only enemy I've found to give me consistent trouble with Vorcha are Guardians. Most other stuff seems situational.

• Options
    Vicktor wrote: »
    It would be nice if Adrenaline rush and Marksman became togglable for reduced CD like Tactical Cloak and Flamer. Unless they are and it shows how much Human/Turian soldier I've been playing.

Unfortunately Marksman isn't (I believe Adrenaline Rush has an evolution that allows you to use a power while it's active). I've been playing a fair amount of Turian Soldier lately. It's a really fun class outside of those times you have a Phantom death squad headed your way and you really wish you could lay down a proxy mine between them and yourself to try to get them to slow down a little, only you can't because Marksman is still running and won't be down for another 6 seconds. Marksman would be so much better if it was either completely togglable like Hunter Mode/Devastator Mode (at some penalty to movement/shields) or it behaved like tactical cloak as you mentioned.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Hm, you know what would be cool? If they released a new gear piece that boosted your equipped weapon levels by 1 per rank, so at max it'd boost your carried weapons by 5 levels. You'd still be making a trade off in losing the other benefits of the gear slot but if you were focused on weapon damage it'd help there. There wouldn't be any benefit for already maxed weapons obviously, but it'd let you try out some better versions of weapons you'll never upgrade and allow people with Eagle Vs etc. to try them out at the level they become worth it vs. their other X gear.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    @SoundsPlush I like that idea, though I'd prefer if they just boosted the levels without a cap. It's already a linear progression for most guns anyway, right? Just extend it out to 15. I say that partly because it would be fun to have a Claymore XV, partly because I could picture half the lobbies having X level weapons with that gear piece equipped anyway. It'd be explaining how ultralight materials are broken all over again.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »

i used to use it on my krogan soldier, but that was before grenades were amazing

The bolded makes me sad. Concussive shot is crazy awesome at crowd control and tech bursts.

So I did some golds with Ardol earlier and I was on my paladin (leveled from 12 to 18) and I have a new found love for it.

He was on his quarian engineer, and we were tossing out cryo blasts and snap freezes and incenerates and shield drains around against gold reapers on goddess. The first round had so many goddamn cryo and fire explosions I couldn't stop laughing.

We burned down banshees and brutes and watched them explode.

It was a glorious match.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Ides of MarchIdes of March Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »

The bolded makes me sad. Concussive shot is crazy awesome at crowd control and tech bursts.

So I did some golds with Ardol earlier and I was on my paladin (leveled from 12 to 18) and I have a new found love for it.

He was on his quarian engineer, and we were tossing out cryo blasts and snap freezes and incenerates and shield drains around against gold reapers on goddess. The first round had so many goddamn cryo and fire explosions I couldn't stop laughing.

We burned down banshees and brutes and watched them explode.

It was a glorious match.

Agreed, that was hella fun match - and on the value of concussive shot. It's got such a quick cooldown and is perfect for keeping mooks at bay if you need a second to restore your shields or resuscitate a friend. Tech bursts are a bonus. That's why Turian Soldier was my favorite soldier class before the N7 destroyer came around - a combo of concussive shots and proximity mines meant boom boom boom all over the place. Throw on a Harrier by itself, or maybe a Carnifex and something else light, and the quick cooldowns will keep free explosives firing all the time. As great as marksman can be, if you're like me and like hard-hitting precision shots, a top fitness Turian with a Carnifex can be a super-tough, super-deadly class.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Five ranks of a weapon is something like +14% damage/spare ammo and some variable amount of weight reduction/cooldown bonus, so I think if it worked on max weapons it'd be too good. Some of the rare gear is +10% [one class] weapon damage and +10% faster cooldown/[one type] power damage/etc., whereas the level booster would give more damage and more cooldown (depending; if a Harrier goes from 1.75 to 1.25 and we assume it continues to lose half that weight caveating that I have no idea how they decide the weight scales, it'd go down to 1.0, or 25% faster cooldown) with spare ammo to boot. +10% SMG damage and +10% faster cooldown on the one hand vs. +14% damage/ammo to any weapons and +25% cooldown (based on just one gun) on the other.

Basically I think if it was that much better, they'd make it ultra-rare gear and then we'd be stuck in nearly the same spot. If it has diminishing returns past rank V weapons, then it's not so bad since it accomplishes the purpose of letting you try out lower leveled weapons at higher effectiveness and still retains a ceiling.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Sweet an Atlas just yanked me out of cover from two meters away when I was completely out of line of sight.

Magnet hands for everyone.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    VicktorVicktor Infidel Castro Rancho ChupacabraRegistered User regular
    Sweet an Atlas just yanked me out of cover from two meters away when I was completely out of line of sight.

That happened to me a couple weeks ago. Was it corner cover or over a wide waist-high?

For me, I was around a 'corner' from it and it pounded the ground on the other side of the wall from me. We had no LOS and it was pretty far around the corner. I knew that meant it was about to get grabby, so I stayed down thinking I was safe. Then picked me up as if it could reach around/through the wall. I've been giving them a much wider berth since then. I think the game actually let it reach 'around' the wall. It pulled some Dr. Octopus shenanigans.

There was very little lag. I think they're just able to pluck you out of cover now so long as their huge hitbox is within X meters (whatever their 'arm' length is) of you.

I've found the 'magnet hands' tend to be due to lag and position smear. So it's really bad if you're running. It's happens to me most when I run near a banshee. I recently had a situation where I was running towards a banshee, but stopped short and turned, giving her a wide berth intentionally. The lag was bad, and apparently the host's computer predicted that had kept on running straight, so up and down I went.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Viycktor
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular

Magnet hands are out of control.

Yesterday, I got yanked about 10 feet on Hydra by a banshee. And I was hosting!

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    I had that happen last week and thought I was imagining things. Somehow, the bugs and servers are getting worse as time goes on, at least on PC since we also have Origin performance to take into consideration.

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    ugh, was on a pub today, just doing bronze to grind out some cash, somehow two turrets take out me and the other guy by surprise. we're on an delievery mission on the london map. wave 9. no problems up until this point, we were melting shit.

the other two fuckers? after we died, one decided to camp up top and snipe and the other guy who was kitted out in n7 stuff just... ignored the fucking drop, let the timer run out and end the match. was like wtf guy. what the hell! then i see his n7 rank is 17. dunno how the fuck hes got all that gear at that level.

never dropping below silver again.

• Options
    ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    Well im ready for some new MP DLC rumors.

PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • Options
    T-boltT-bolt Registered User regular
    It breaks my heart when you guys hate Rio.
    I know why , but fuck, it's my city.
    I feel sad too when people say Vancouver is boring. no we're not... I mean no the map isn't! :`(

• Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular

Magnet hands are out of control.

Yesterday, I got yanked about 10 feet on Hydra by a banshee. And I was hosting!

The sync kill lag is always the worst on event weekends.

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    the few matches i was able to play over the weekend involved my kroguard standing on slanted surfaces and yelling 'COME AT ME BRO' to all enemies with an insta-kill animation

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I was doing that too. Then 3 phantoms rounded the corner after I finished charging an atlas and gunned me down before my charge cooldown was up :(

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    orca remember when we were playing with taky the other night and you called out the turrets in the middle on london

and i was all

FUCK TURRETS, I HAVE CHARGE

that bit was cool

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy