As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] OLD THREAD LEAVE GO BYE SEE YA

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Man

Got my first missile glitcher in a while on Platinum today. We were playing for real and everything. Pissed me off. Gonna report him after making this post.

Went through a few more matches (without that guy) and tensions were really high after we wiped on Wave 6 of Platinum - gotta hate Activate 4 Things waves, right? Also Ravagers.

To smooth things over I switched us to Gold/Geth/Hydra, and told everyone to bring krogan vanguards. One guy said it was a stupid idea but went along with it anyway.

Man, nothing smooths over hurt feelings like an all krogan vanguard match against the geth.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Rate of fire + weapon damage bonuses between Hunter Vision and the passive on top of the Piranha's incredible damage output just shred.

Drop the damage resistance debuff on proximity mine and someone that's quite good and yeah, it's believable.

I went with power damage instead (I love me my proximity mines), and I can still smash down even heavies relatively quickly.

• Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    Yeah, Jumpin posted a video of four Gethfiltrators with Piranhas...stuff just ceased to exist.

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    Somebody told me that the Particle Beam Rifle's extended magaizne at higher levels makes it a good gun

That seems like the kind of buff that would only be appreciated by the dudes on BSN and like three guys on here

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    MarkWebsterMarkWebster Ottersaurus Rex OntarioRegistered User regular
    i have had gold rounds on my GI where nobody scored more than 60k

the game awards points in a wacky way, i'm convinced there's some RNG bullshit involved

I've done some tests on this.

It's because at Gold and above, there is more damage to be done than points awarded for the kill.

For example, if a cannibal has 700 health points, but only 500 score points for a kill, the person who killed the cannibal will get all of the points for the damage they did.

Here's an example:

Player 1 kills a cannibal having inflicted 400 points of damage to the enemy. Player 2 assists with 300 damage points. As there is only 500 score points to be dished out, player 1 gets 400 points and player 2 only gets 100.

This might not be 100% accurate but points for assists are DEFINITELY significantly downgraded at gold and platinum. Silver is ok though.

• Options
    ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Somebody told me that the Particle Beam Rifle's extended magaizne at higher levels makes it a good gun

That seems like the kind of buff that would only be appreciated by the dudes on BSN and like three guys on here

On my Destroyer with extended mag mod it had 269 shots. Its better than the Typhoon.

PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Particle rifle kinda sucks against groups of little dudes, especially when you're dealing with lag, but it's pretty awesome against big bosses. Put extended mag and armor piercing on there and you can deal full damage to a prime all the way across the map.

You'll probably want a sidearm that's good at close range though, because for the first 40 ammo it doesn't do much damage

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

the game awards points in a wacky way, i'm convinced there's some RNG bullshit involved

It's because at Gold and above, there is more damage to be done than points awarded for the kill.

For example, if a cannibal has 700 health points, but only 500 score points for a kill, the person who killed the cannibal will get all of the points for the damage they did.

Here's an example:

Player 1 kills a cannibal having inflicted 400 points of damage to the enemy. Player 2 assists with 300 damage points. As there is only 500 score points to be dished out, player 1 gets 400 points and player 2 only gets 100.

This might not be 100% accurate but points for assists are DEFINITELY significantly downgraded at gold and platinum. Silver is ok though.
    It's probably just me, but it also seems kinda lag dependent

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MarkWebsterMarkWebster Ottersaurus Rex OntarioRegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

Here's an example:

It's probably just me, but it also seems kinda lag dependent

Maybe, but I really notice it with a salgineer on Gold or Platinum. I take all of the shields and barriers off everything and get like 50 points per assist.

Remember there was one game where I got 50 assists before Wave 3 had finished. Was mental.

• Options

On my Destroyer with extended mag mod it had 269 shots. Its better than the Typhoon.

For truth? I mean.... truly? Why? How much does the damage ramp-up increase things?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options

For truth? I mean.... truly? Why? How much does the damage ramp-up increase things?

Its more to do with how overly nerfed the Typhoon is now. Typhoon operates a bit better from medium to short range, but the PBR beats it at everything else. Most particularly the killing of boss mobs.

For half the weight.

And infinite ammo.

Bioware nerfed the typhoon way too harshly.

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »
    how the hell do you even get 220k in a game without hacking to give you more rounds

Clearly by getting to the spawns before anyone else had a chance. Or by being like curly or carbon or something

I mean, the guy was good, but the amount of damage he could do in a short amount of time (cloak bonus + piranha fire rate) was just completely dumb. Brutes would be walking toward us and then they'd just... be dead. Not that brutes are that hard to kill anyway, but still.

I play on the 360 so I guess it's possible he was using a hack, but doubtful

on my vorcha soilder, i can kill a brute on platinum in 3 seconds flat. flamer while the geth shotgun is charging, release half way through burning, shit is just toast.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    How much does the damage ramp-up increase things?

image013.jpg

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Quad damage at 800 RPM? Christ's sake, that's actually a good wad of damage - about the same as the dang old Typhoon, but without the missing problem or the kick

I still don't have the gun though, alas

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

Its more to do with how overly nerfed the Typhoon is now. Typhoon operates a bit better from medium to short range, but the PBR beats it at everything else. Most particularly the killing of boss mobs.

For half the weight.

And infinite ammo.

The BEAM RIFLE has always been the best UR AR since forever because it shoots a infinite beam of awesome. :|

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular

Here's an example:

This seems really plausible. If it's true, it's something Bioware should look into for the next patch and up the score numbers depending on the difficulty.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    i'm the only kroguard i see online

i guess they must be more popular on consoles

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular

Here's an example:

This seems really plausible. If it's true, it's something Bioware should look into for the next patch and up the score numbers depending on the difficulty.

It would also tend to inflate the scores of the people doing more damage at the expense of the people doing less, which might provide a partial explanation of why some people appear to be so terrible

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options

For half the weight.

And infinite ammo.

The BEAM RIFLE has always been the best UR AR since forever because it shoots a infinite beam of awesome. :|

No it hasn't always been, but it is probably the second best AR since it has received 2 10% damage buffs and an 80% ammo buff.

The fact that its perfectly accurate and has 100% stability is just kicking sand in the poor Typhoon's face.

• Options
    Phoenix138Phoenix138 ArizonaRegistered User regular
    I'd be interested in seeing the usage rate of the Typhoon post-nerf. I still see people equipping it from time to time but I don't recall too many times when they scored all that well.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Was there another Typhoon nerf I missed? Last time I used it it was still perfectly fine. It's less of an oppressively powerful gun and more of a variant on the Revenant which is kinda what it should have been from the start.

If it got nerfed again then that's just horseshit.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Was there another Typhoon nerf I missed? Last time I used it it was still perfectly fine. It's less of an oppressively powerful gun and more of a variant on the Revenant which is kinda what it should have been from the start.

No not more nerfs but people have had a longer time to evaluate it post-nerf. It is the worst UR AR at the moment by a good margin. It also has a bug where its 50% bonus to armor/shield/barriers doesnt work more often than not.

There is an interesting thread on BSN but skip the first 4 pages:
    http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/343/index/13726258/7

Valiantheart on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »

nah, it didn't get nerfed again. people are just emo.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Anyone have any tips for Gethgineer? I have a feeling I should have dumped Overload to max everything else.

sig.gif
  • Options
    nah man,

nah

I go 6/6/6/5/3. It's the only way to go.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i can't be the only one who only put three ranks into hunter mode on geth engi because it gives them headaches, right?

• Options
    Antimatter wrote: »
    i can't be the only one who only put three ranks into hunter mode on geth engi because it gives them headaches, right?

I hope you are, 'cuz it is the best

the best

• Options
    hunter mode almost feels like what it's like for me to not wear glasses

it's too blurry and awful and if i ever activate it it's because i'm on geth/white/gold behind cover

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Nah, the blur gives me headaches so I usually just avoid the geth classes entirely. Always had fun with GPS + flamethrower turret though, and overload is pretty useful since enemies can't dodge it 10 times in a row.

• Options
    I bet you don't like krogan rage mode either.

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    The Typhoon wasn't nerfed in the way the Krysae was. The Typhoon just performs at the Rare* level, not the Ultra Rare level it actually is. The crux of the issue is the 2.0 spin-up damage modifier which dropped to 1.5. A comfortable spot would be ~1.75.

*If someone wanted to contend that I wouldn't disagree out of hand.
    The Typhoon is rather middling. I only use it on Silver or Bronze. It's an ultra rare weapon that's average at best. But if you wanted to take good weapons you're looking at Shotguns. You've got the Graal, GPS, Reegar, and Piranha. Not to mention the UR Wraith. The damage decrease to the Piranha was the best balance I've seen. The weapon is still good, which makes sense for being rare, and great with certain characters.

EDIT: Apparently the Typhoon's innate armor damage bonus doesn't work sometimes. So, yeah. That's not good. And that needs a patch. If we get a patch, it probably wont be fixed, because Bioware.

OpposingFarce on
  • Options
    It was the first thing I maxed.

Running a 3 on Fitness? Wouldn't that be a bad idea with Hunter Mode activated?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »

Only if you're getting hit. Between Gethovision alerting you of incoming enemies, a turret to keep them occupied, and overload to keep them stunned it's usually not a problem.

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

not a fan of that visual effect myself, especially on dark maps because you can't see shit if it's activated on some place like reactor

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    The Typhoon wasn't nerfed in the way the Krysae was. The Typhoon just performs at the Rare* level, not the Ultra Rare level it actually is. The crux of the issue is the 2.0 spin-up damage modifier which dropped to 1.5. A comfortable spot would be ~1.75.

*If someone wanted to contend that I wouldn't disagree out of hand.
    The Typhoon is rather middling. I only use it on Silver or Bronze. It's an ultra rare weapon that's average at best. But if you wanted to take good weapons you're looking at Shotguns. You've got the Graal, GPS, Reegar, and Piranha. Not to mention the UR Wraith. The damage decrease to the Piranha was the best balance I've seen. The weapon is still good, which makes sense for being rare, and great with certain characters.

EDIT: Apparently the Typhoon's innate armor damage bonus doesn't work sometimes. So, yeah. That's not good. And that needs a patch. If we get a patch, it probably wont be fixed, because Bioware.

Except the Piranha as it stands is overpowered. Its DPS is through the roof.

The GPS is as well; too useful at all ranges, too powerful when charged and used inside cloak.

The Reegar is just bananas.

Curly is right, Bioware loves shotguns. :D

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    As they should.

I get tired of shotguns being shit in video games.

Shotguns shall inherit the earth!

• Options
    Phoenix138 wrote: »
    Sorce wrote: »

Only if you're getting hit. Between Gethovision alerting you of incoming enemies, a turret to keep them occupied, and overload to keep them stunned it's usually not a problem.
    Good point.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Orca wrote: »

i don't own a krogan.

• Options
    the piranha is finally a good 'fuck over all enemies with lots of hard hitting pellets booyah' weapon that most other video game shotguns are

the shotgun in HL2? great gun.

the shotgun in FEAR? great gun.

shotguns in mass effect 3? LOTS OF NOT QUITE SHOTGUNS, and now the piranha gives us our conventional option :D

guys guys do you remember back before ME3 came out and bioware was asking people to tweet which weapons they'd like to see in ME3?

and a BUNCH of people said the AA-12?

the piranha has been in the plans for a LONG-ass time :D

RxI0N.png
  • Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    drell adept is just fine

drell vanguard never was anything but outclassed

though i feel like some of the new additions might make it more serviceable

Drell Adept is one of my most often played characters. Was playing the Drell Vanguard earlier today for the first time in a long while. Paired with the Acolyte it's a good bit of fun versus Cerberus. Pull all the things.