As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Malicious]: Because black capes are cool right now. [PSN]

RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
edited July 2012 in Games and Technology
YhwYf.jpg

Genre: 3rd person action/Mega Man-style level select and power acquisition
Platform: PS3 (download only)
Price: $10

Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID15Hw7lau4

This launched on PSN in America yesterday, after being available in Japan for a year and a half. It's been on EU PSN since February, in a rare but increasingly more common case of Europe not getting the short end of the stick.

I've played through 4 of the 6 or so levels so far, and it's a lot of fun. The combat is great, and it only gets better as you defeat the bosses and get more abilities. The levels are all huge arenas, with the boss present at the outset. You can try to tackle the boss immediately, and skilled players probably can defeat the boss right away, but a bit of strategy can make the boss battles easier.

Defeating smaller enemies builds up Aura. You can use Aura to power up individual attacks by holding L1 while attacking. Defeating small enemies with a powered-up attack makes them detonate. Any enemies caught in the magical explosion will immediately die, creating a chain. Chains will increase Aura gain much quicker than normal kills.

You can power up even further by holding L1 and X to perform Aura Release, which is visually and functionally very similar to going Super Sayian in DBZ. When in Aura Release mode, your Aura drains, but base attack and defense is greatly enhanced. Aura Release is great for taking out tough enemies and bosses.

Each boss gives you a few new abilities, which will help you defeat the other bosses, just like Mega Man. You can go back to levels you have already defeated with your new abilities to try and get better rankings.

Each stage is timed to 30 minutes, and you will be ranked on time, heals, kills, and chains. Rankings seem to only count toward a leaderboard or for Trophies.

I highly recommend playing Malicious. Unfortunately, there is no demo, so maybe take my word for it? :)

Renzo on

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Gonna pick this shit up today.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote:
    I highly recommend playing Malicious. Unfortunately, there is no demo, so maybe take my word for it? :)

Dang. This looks interesting, but I feel like its a game I wouldn't be very good at... Perhaps you can give me directions to your place (and pay for transportation) so I can try the game out before I buy? I would prefer first-class, as well as a limo to pick me up at the airport.*

Is "Bayonetta meets Mega Man" a fair comparison?

*If you live in Florida, I will only require a limo.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    I was starting to think no-one cared about it. :( It's really fun and has a great sense of style.

The music is surprisingly good, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e60X8nw_eGo&feature=share&list=PL8FC1A1B62A50BBE7

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Renzo wrote:

Dang. This looks interesting, but I feel like its a game I wouldn't be very good at... Perhaps you can give me directions to your place (and pay for transportation) so I can try the game out before I buy? I would prefer first-class, as well as a limo to pick me up at the airport.*

It doesn't have the combo system of Bayonetta, but the transforming scarf/cape is definitely reminiscent.

And if I lived in Florida, I'd definitely invite you over to try it. ;) I'm trying to not make this creepy, and I'm only making it worse...

edit: And why am I suddenly using smileys in every post?

Renzo on
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:

Oh I'm sure you'll be fine. I mean if Renzo can play it, anyone ca...

Just kidding buddy.

I'll pick it up tonight for sure. I never even knew about this game so I'm stoked. Especially with the lackluster releases this summer, it's nice to look forward to something.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    And if I lived in Florida, I'd definitely invite you over to try it. ;) I'm trying to not make this creepy, and I'm only making it worse...

Pfft, ha!

I think I'm going to go for it! Being an awesome PS+ guy I get the game at a discount anyways :^: and the trailer does look cool.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Grove wrote: »
    Renzo wrote:

Oh I'm sure you'll be fine. I mean if Renzo can play it, anyone ca...

Just kidding buddy.

I'll pick it up tonight for sure. I never even knew about this game so I'm stoked. Especially with the lackluster releases this summer, it's nice to look forward to something.

Hah, well...yes there is a fair bit of truth there.

It's not easy. But it has a really nice and responsive block/dodge function, which I always like.

Persistence pays off, but usually with a D ranking. I accidentally got an S ranking on one of the stages, so I know it's possible to kick some ass.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Only six stages? That seems a bit limiting. Still, on the other hand... leaderboards. Oh man, at 10$ its kind of a steal though. choices, choices.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    Bought this sight unseen based on the recommendation. Haven't gotten a chance to play it yet, but it looks well worth the 10 spot based on the videos.

PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    I may need some help on the Sword stage, Forbidden Floor. Because damn, it seems like a brick wall of difficulty compared to the other four stages.

• Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    I might pick this up this weekend. I need a new game.

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I live in Florida, and will be getting this soon. I've heard great things.

Good price too.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    If the game is good I'll pick up the Vita version (when it releases here).

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    wait, what? Vita version? I'll wait then.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Got to the last boss. The difficulty ramped up even more. Damn, this is going to be tough.

• Options
    RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    So does anyone have any tips for this game? I played it some earlier and I was pretty disappointed with it so far, but I'm not going to write it off completely just yet.

• Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    This game is murdering my ass. Renzo, any tips to get over that initial Cape Buster(and fists) only problem? I've only managed to get the wings.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    I dodge ALL THE TIME. That is probably my number one tip. When in doubt, dodge. When you KNOW, block, but only after you get the block upgrade.

Get used to the lock-on function. How to lock onto the boss, manually lock on, cancel lock-on, etc. It helps a lot.

Also, each time you beat a boss, the other stages get more difficult. YEAH. The game gets TOUGH.

I can't remember the names of any of the locations, so please bear with me.

The stony arena that features the giant suit of armor that tries to punch you: I ran around and combo'd until I had 5 or 6k Aura, then I Aura Released up to level 3 and just wailed on the boss. I air dodged when he attacked, and just threw whatever punches I could at him. That's the level I accidentally S-ranked on my first try.

The Forgotten Battlefield (It think, it's the grassy one with the lake in the middle): The boss is vulnerable on his head, and you kind of have to climb him to get to his weak point. That was another case of "combo until you have 5+k, Aura Release, punch". There wasn't a whole lot to the strategy on that one.

The tower with the chained-up wolf, I don't know. I never devised a strategy for that. I traded hits during the whole fight. It was sloppy.

As for the airship, I was pretty sloppy there too. Remember you can run on walls normally, just by walking into them. Supposedly the cannons I saw in my playthrough wouldn't have been there if I had gone there earlier, due to a lower difficulty. But I guess you already got the wings, so no help needed here.

And the Queen, or whatever her name is. I had to watch a video in order to get used to her attacks. She kicked my ass so badly the first few times I tried it, I didn't think it was possible to beat her. Just know that you can block everything but her grab. Watch her animations and strike when she is vulnerable. Just like Monster Hunter, if you've played that. I think I remembered you posting in the MH thread.

I still haven't beaten the end boss, so I can't give you any info there.

Renzo on
  • Options
    See, my problem is I can't dodge in the middle of things. You have to hit a direction and button TOGETHER. It's madness.

• Options
    RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    I still haven't played since the first time, but the controls were definitely a struggle. And the camera too for that matter, despite that I knew how to auto lock on the boss. Basically it felt like the movement in the game is way below what you need without just dodging constantly, but then the dodging controls are stupid so it makes the whole thing a wash. And the few times I tried blocking a boss it would break my guard and stun me anyway. I got the impression it wanted me to play like Bayonetta but there's just no way that's ever happening here. Maybe it gets better with unlocks or something but...yeah.

• Options
    Well, finally killed the fucking dog. Now it's just a matter of slaying the queen so I can work on endgame stuff.

This is not going very well for me, one could imagine.

• Options
    I still need to buy the game. I've been so busy playing FF VI, I haven't even turned on my PS3 in a couple weeks.