As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2 years later, trying to use onboard graphics, wont work.

DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
Ok, around Christmas of this year I bought a new video card to play Swtor with, its a Amd Radeon HD 6700 series video card. Well, I am having massive issues from this card. I am looking to replace this card. It doesn't have to be better per say just more reliable.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709 50001402 4017&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&CompareItemList=48|14-130-625^14-130-625-TS,14-130-795^14-130-795-TS

I was looking at both these cards at suitable price range replacements, I'm curious if anyone has any experience with these and or knows wether or not its atleast an upgrade / same power so to speak. Any input would be great thanks.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

Draeven on

• Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    What kind of issues are you experiencing? Which 6700 series card (6770 or 6790)?

Either way don't get a 640. They're primarily targeted at OEM companies, people who desire very basic discrete GPUs, and HTPC users. The 550 Ti is better than a 6770, but not as high performing as a 6790. If you can find a used or refurbished GTX 460 1GB (not SE) then that would be better than anything you're looking at.

• Options
    ok, thanks umm gpu issues on my video card crashing most games that I play and leading to a bsod or just a grey / black lines and then locking up my system. It only started when I installed this card. In the catalyst control center it just says 6700 series, but I think its a 6770.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    shwaipshwaip Registered User regular
    If you dropped this into a dell/similar system, you might be hitting the psu limit (and therefore seeing crashing). Changing to nvidia not fix your problem.

You might also try completely removing the drivers and then updating to the latest catalyst to see if that solves any of your problems:

0) Install driversweeper: http://phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html
    1) Uninstall any catalyst software, reboot to safe mode
    2) open up device manager
    3) go to display adapters, right click the display adapter, select properties
    4) go to driver tab, select uninstall. Make sure you check the "delete the driver box"
    5) click the "scan for hardware changes" icon in the toolbar
    6) repeat 3->5 until the "driver provider" field under the "driver" tab says "microsoft"
    7) run driversweeper in safe mode, select the ati/amd option
    8) reboot into normal mode, install latest catalyst driver from amd's site.

• Options
    Its not a dell system, built with the help of friends who know what they are doing, only it started out as a Nvidia card to begin with 5 years ago. I'll do that shwaip in the morning for sure, funny thing is I managed to play Lotr with out crashing this afternoon, so I think the video card is sentient at this point and knows what im thinking about doing.

• Options
    Draeven wrote: »
    Its not a dell system, built with the help of friends who know what they are doing, only it started out as a Nvidia card to begin with 5 years ago. I'll do that shwaip in the morning for sure, funny thing is I managed to play Lotr with out crashing this afternoon, so I think the video card is sentient at this point and knows what im thinking about doing.

If it's 5 years old, it's still possible that the PSU isn't quite beefy enough to handle the newer card. AMD's site recommends 450W for the 6770. You might sneak a peak at the side of the PSU to see what the rated wattage (and rated current on the +12V rails is).

• Options
    I did upgrade my Psu with in the last couple years to a 600+ watt for sure. Played Lotr again last night for 3 hours with out a hitch. I'm gonna be pissed if it was just heat issues. Have a small box fan pointed into the side of my case blowing in cold air.

• Options
    Ok, doing the safemode scan and delete right now. I didn't realize it stacked the display drivers ontop of each other like that. Took me about 6 times to finally get microsoft.

• Options
    Ok, doing the safemode scan and delete right now. I didn't realize it stacked the display drivers ontop of each other like that. Took me about 6 times to finally get microsoft.

It's not really that the display drivers are stacked, but MS saves the old drivers in case you ever need to revert.

• Options
    ahhhh, i see I see, ill give civ5 a try tonight, it crahsed me earlier today before the scan and reinstall so lets see if your fix helped.!

• Options
    Also, you can install GPU-Z to watch temps and see if your card is overheating:

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    If it as a heat issue, pull the card and clean all the dust out of the heat sink and blower.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    sooo, turns out that it was just a setting issue with High performance Gpu clock settings the default was 900 something but I turned it down to 800 and haven't had a problem since.

• Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
  • Options
    Heat will cause instability at higher frequencies. Downclocking your card fixing it and it not happening with the fan blowing on the side definitely makes me think it's a heat issue.

• Options
    2 years later, and I resurrect this thread. OK, i just upgraded from crap to something that's at least passable for middle of the road.
    I have an A88X-Pro asus mobo, and a amd A6-6400k APU with radeon hd graphics integrated. My old radeon card is a 6700 and the one On board is a damn sight better one of the 8000 series of graphics. My only issue is I can't seem to get the on board video card to work at all, Like I put in an adapter for my monitor either Display/dvi or hdmi and it wont work, nothing i hear sound and it boots just fine. Everything is working great , no blue screens and only crashes with my old card witch i believe is just a heat issue when playing Civ 5. So anyways how the hell do i get this processor based graphics card to work.

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    you might have to jump into the BIOS and enabled the onboard video.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    LogicowLogicow Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I've seen Intel motherboards with connectors for onboard video, but not all intel CPUs come with integrated video so when using one of those, the connectors were misleading and not functional. Does your AMD cpu have an onboard video?

Logicow on
  • Options
    I jumped into the bios and figured out how to turn on Onboard etc, tried connecting my monitor and nothing, the little light on my monitor doesn't do anything just stays off, I figured out what was wrong with my old ati card, and it turns out it was just overclocked to the point it generated way to much heat for its own good, so I turned it down and seems to be working just fine. so, ill roll with this tell I have the money for a newer card.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    I jumped into the bios and figured out how to turn on Onboard etc, tried connecting my monitor and nothing, the little light on my monitor doesn't do anything just stays off, I figured out what was wrong with my old ati card, and it turns out it was just overclocked to the point it generated way to much heat for its own good, so I turned it down and seems to be working just fine. so, ill roll with this tell I have the money for a newer card.

Pull out your card and blow some compressed air through the heatsink - it's probably packed with dust.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I did that before i put it it, also these heat problems have been happening since I bought the card, and the bscreen issues were all due to not fdisking properly and it having conflicts with the type of mobo I had.