As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[StarCraft 2] THIS THREAD IS OVER. POST IN THE NEW ONE PEOPLE!

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Yeah but their game is a heck of a lot less refined as far as a competitive playing field goes.
    I mean, I see SC2 as higher quality of tournaments which makes viewership more rewarding and enjoyful.

It feels like League's longevity will only last until someone else comes up with a new similar free to play game that has that extra "je ne sais quoi." Unless it's themselvest that go with LoL 2, or they solidify the foundation of their game and their market.

This league might be an attempt at that.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    KharnastusKharnastus Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    So according to the player base logic: Blizzard decoupling the multiplayer from the single player campaigns and arcade to create a free to play competitive client and paid campaign would be a good idea?
    I personally think blizzard should hire this forum to manage their silly empire.

Kharnastus on
  • Options
    EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    MMMig wrote: »
    Yeah but their game is a heck of a lot less refined as far as a competitive playing field goes.
    I mean, I see SC2 as higher quality of tournaments which makes viewership more rewarding and enjoyful.

It feels like League's longevity will only last until someone else comes up with a new similar free to play game that has that extra "je ne sais quoi." Unless it's themselvest that go with LoL 2, or they solidify the foundation of their game and their market.

This league might be an attempt at that.

DotA2. It's even more F2P than League, since you don't need to grind for runes and unlock heroes. And it certainly has a different feel. But, DotA is so much harder in terms of gameplay, and there are already so many people playing League, that I don't think it will replace it. This might also be a decision from above. Maybe Tencent, Riot's parent company, might have pressured them a little. A bit of a long shot, but, if we're covering all our bases...

As for SC2 becoming free to play, I don't think it would help that much. League isn't just popular because it's free, it's popular because it's easy to get into and you can play with friends, and they make a fucking ton off of microtransactions. SC2 is pretty much the exact opposite of that. So...I'm fairly certain Blizzard gets more of a return by having it the way it is now. The tournaments might be better off, but Blizzard wouldn't be, so that's pretty much the end of the discussion.

iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    KharnastusKharnastus Registered User regular
    Microtransactions for units! want to play lair tier zerg? grind it out or pay 5 dolla! ok terribad idea.

• Options
    What's wrong with making the Arcade free to play?

Just starting to think about it, that would be a pretty bold and impressive move.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    SaarutoSaaruto Registered User regular
    Kharnastus wrote: »
    I personally think blizzard should hire this forum to manage their silly empire.

ESPORTS MONEYYYYYY
    LiquidShirt.jpg

If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
  • Options
    BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    Saaruto wrote: »
    Kharnastus wrote: »

ESPORTS MONEYYYYYY
    LiquidShirt.jpg

the only post in this thread that's made sense for a long time

• Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    We've been talkin about esport money for a while , bout time we hit it

ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    Well the viewer numbers for recent SC2 tournaments have been less than impressive for sure, and with hots likely not coming out until 2013, it would be nice of blizzard to do a little something to inject some life back into the scene.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Woahhhh what is this SC2 Optimizer thingie?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    KambingKambing Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Woahhhh what is this SC2 Optimizer thingie?

?

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I got the most recent patch? Or... I am getting it now? I am so confuseddddd

Edit: OK I think part of the patch was a new patcher.... which then needed a few minutes to optimize itself or something, and now it is getting and installing the rest of the patch.

kime on
    Steam profile
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    It is a little silly that the optimizer intended to reduce download time and file size is as large as the Starcraft folder itself is.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    "Banelings will now auto-cast Unburrow if a Colossus comes within their attack range."

That is an.... interesting change..

This has probably all been talked about already, but shush, I'm behind

Steam profile
  • Options
    Odd, I thought baneling explode auto-cast was already a thing.

Maybe the colo just didn't trigger it?

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I think it was a bug

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    soulkey played pretty well

• Options
    fatalspoonsfatalspoons Registered User regular
    I remember thinking the HOTS beta was SURE to come out in July. What a fool I was.

• Options
    HedwirezHedwirez Registered User regular
    Would anyone mind taking look at this replay and letting me know what I am doing wrong engaging against Protoss. I engage at 16:50 with a much larger army and do my best to EMP all the Templars but I miss a few and my army gets torn apart. The second time at 21:30 I totally mess up my EMPs and end up losing the game.

http://drop.sc/235153

Any suggestions of things I need to do would be welcome. Currently I am concentrating on improving my Macro so my army control is generally terrible and I am not bothering with any drops but I'm getting sick of losing to any Protoss who builds Templars or Colossus (although I recognise that this is my fault for being terrible.)

• Options
    argh, if I lower my 'shaders' to low the game looks awesome to me but my cloaked ghosts are too hard to see as cloaked. technically it's not hard for me to check but it's weird to not see them cloaked.

ah well.

hedwirez, I'm watching now.

• Options
    alright well, you need to basically pre-dodge storms or at least split from them. you ran under the storms in that first engage and the units that survived were right next to three archons.

you probably should have just tried to contain him, maxed and gotten your ghosts enough energy to try and cloak. ideally you EMP archons and snipe or EMP templar, but you also need to spread your army out and storm-dodge as they land (if not before, though this is tricky to get used to)

basically I'd say work on hitting EMPs and not moving your entire army when you get stormed. just micro the parts being hit. and also work on seeing where the templar are heading so you can predict where the storms are gonna land. if you move your whole army he can easily keep storming and you do no damage while taking looooads. if you split right he will usually end up hurting you less, he'll take more damage from you, and from my experience he'll be more likely to eat some storm damage himself.

that first fight hurt :(

• Options
    HedwirezHedwirez Registered User regular
    Thanks, is cloak worth it when Protoss tend to have an observer above their Army?

• Options
    Hey who yelled at me in mumble the other day for pronouncing "niche" wrong. I thought it was Anzekay, but now I'm not sure.

• Options
    Hedwirez wrote: »
    Thanks, is cloak worth it when Protoss tend to have an observer above their Army?

Yes, because a lot of them will be bad and not have one, in which case you get to freely EMP everything.

• Options
    Variable wrote: »
    argh, if I lower my 'shaders' to low the game looks awesome to me but my cloaked ghosts are too hard to see as cloaked. technically it's not hard for me to check but it's weird to not see them cloaked.

ah well.

If you can't see your own cloaked ghosts, will you be able to see detected cloaked units? dts, banshees?

Will you have an even harder time to see undetected cloaked units?
    (very important when trying to damage control and you don't have detection immediately)

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    MMMig wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »

ah well.

If you can't see your own cloaked ghosts, will you be able to see detected cloaked units? dts, banshees?

Will you have an even harder time to see undetected cloaked units?
    (very important when trying to damage control and you don't have detection immediately)

I meant it's too hard to see that they're cloaked. with shaders on low they just get like, dim. with them on any higher setting they get that glow.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Watching grubby just get completely destroyed by morrow over and over and over again on his stream.

zerg are just straight up better than protoss. There is no other way to put it. Its not that protoss can't win in PvZ. Its just that it is a lot easier for zerg to do so.

As an aside, its fucking annoying to watch pros stay in games they've clearly lost for another 20 minutes for no fucking reason. You have no mining bases to his 3. you have 70 supply to his 200. JUST. FUCKING. LEAVE.

jaziek on
  • Options
    KambingKambing Registered User regular
    Alternatively, Morrow is outplaying Grubby. ^_^

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Options
    Kambing wrote: »

You should know by now it's never the player's fault.

• Options
    edited August 2012

Define outplaying.

If a zerg isn't a complete spastic, there is basically no way he can lose to a toss who isn't significantly better than him.

Grubby doing multipronged harass all over the map, killing off bases, repeatedly knocking morrow down to 3.

Morrow just 1a-ing his roaches, lings, hydras etc.. into grubby's army, trading essentially free units for tech units which grubby has basically no way to stop from happening.

Eventually broodlords happen, and from that point on, its no longer even close to a fair fight.

jaziek on
  • Options
    seed beat coca last night after broods were out

• Options
    jaziek wrote: »

Define outplaying.

If a zerg isn't a complete spastic, there is basically no way he can lose to a toss who isn't significantly better than him.

Grubby doing multipronged harass all over the map, killing off bases, repeatedly knocking morrow down to 3.

Morrow just 1a-ing his roaches, lings, hydras etc.. into grubby's army, trading essentially free units for tech units which grubby has basically no way to stop from happening.

Eventually broodlords happen, and from that point on, its no longer even close to a fair fight.

I think he just meant by winning.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    PvZ boils down to doing a 2 base all in and hoping the zerg shits himself and messes up the defence badly enough for you to win,

or

lose.

Oh and also if you have a zealot out of place in your wall then zerg gets a free win.

and if you miss one forcefield then zerg gets a free win.

jaziek on
  • Options
    mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    We're so close to having a balance whine free thread, but Jaziek has to ruin it :(

• Options
    I still think that all three mirror matchups are less forgiving of mistakes than the nonmirrors are.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    mEEksa wrote: »
    We're so close to having a balance whine free thread, but Jaziek has to ruin it :(

optimistic considering we're only 34 pages in.

and you know what.

its not even balance. Its design. Protoss are just terribly designed from the get go. No amount of re-jigging build times and dps and movement speed is going to change the fact that toss relies to heavily on tech units, is WAY more fragile at every step of the game than terran or zerg, finds it much harder to switch between tech paths, and is basically forced to eventually go down one path anyway.

Yilias wrote: »
    I still think that all three mirror matchups are less forgiving of mistakes than the nonmirrors are.

I agree.

jaziek on
  • Options
    mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Yilias wrote: »

This has been the case since Broodwar. People complain about ZvZ now, but it is nowhere near as bad as it was in BW, where the game might hinge on the loss of one zergling or mutalisk. TvT is a lot better about it though.

mEEksa on
  • Options
    shwaipshwaip Registered User regular
    mEEksa wrote: »

The thread has near-perfect-no-balance-whining for the first 33 pages, but after that, balance whining OP.

• Options
    redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    It will be much easier when Starcraft proceeds to this type of interface.

http://news.discovery.com/tech/brain-dish-flies-plane-041022.html

That way we will be able to remove these clumsy bodies from the equation and finally prove that Protoss players just think slower and are bad.

redraptor on
  • Options
    BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    even posting is op against z

blizz plz