As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Blood Bowl] Blood Bowl 3 is out; praise Nuffle!

• TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    The invited teams for the PA Wissen Cup are @MrBody Kislev Circus, @ShadowofVT Lizards, and an amazon team I believe is owned by @Moridin889

If you are not able to find the league, or I guess if your lazy, send me a PM with your blood bowl coach name, and the name of the team and I'll send an invite ticket to you.

I made the amazon team for the open format, but I'm not sure if I want to commit to two teams worth of matches atm

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    I submitted a High Elf team to the second competition

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I submitted a Bret team for the Wissen comp a couple of days ago.

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    Oh, I know. Neither wardancer is developing along planned lines now though. And the thrower was mostly there for a Leader reroll, but I couldn't turn more Guard down.

It's good, I'm just bummed about the other wardancer I guess.

Strong Arm!

It was a tough call between the two, but Guard should come in handy far more often than Strong Arm would.

I don't believe a wood elf thrower should be standing next to the opposition all that frequently. Sure it absolutely helps when you get mobbed to peel off the blockers to allow the thrower to dodge away but I'm not running the thrower up to help on the line of scrimmage. I am woodelves, I dodge away.

With Accurate on the next level up you have a dude who Long Bombs the ball with an innate reroll on a 3+ who only fumbles on a 1.

That's a crazy offence which most teams will struggle to cope with. You completely de risk the passing game.

That's all true. But offense is not a big issue for wood elves regardless most of the time. My thrower also has to spend half (or probably more) of the game on defense, where Guard will be extremely helpful. I average maybe 2 pass attempts per game, and there is usually not much need to throw further than a quick pass. Where that would come in handy is against other fast teams, but this little league is rather short on those.

I would argue in a bash heavy league StrongArm-Accurate is even more critical - it's not about offensive power so much as clock management. You control the field vs bash sides by stretching them. If you can park two catchers way down town then you force the bash side to waddle some of their bois back to mark them up which denudes them of blokes on the line to do the bashing, allowing you to actually overwhelm your opponents in a game of who can bash most or they ignore them and try and crush you but you can safely time waste as at any moment you can just safely fling the pig skin down range. StrongArm-Accurate opens up the field for AG4 passing sides to control the clock in a way that is normally not there for them.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
    Oh, I know. Neither wardancer is developing along planned lines now though. And the thrower was mostly there for a Leader reroll, but I couldn't turn more Guard down.

It's good, I'm just bummed about the other wardancer I guess.

Strong Arm!

It was a tough call between the two, but Guard should come in handy far more often than Strong Arm would.

I don't believe a wood elf thrower should be standing next to the opposition all that frequently. Sure it absolutely helps when you get mobbed to peel off the blockers to allow the thrower to dodge away but I'm not running the thrower up to help on the line of scrimmage. I am woodelves, I dodge away.

With Accurate on the next level up you have a dude who Long Bombs the ball with an innate reroll on a 3+ who only fumbles on a 1.

That's a crazy offence which most teams will struggle to cope with. You completely de risk the passing game.

That's all true. But offense is not a big issue for wood elves regardless most of the time. My thrower also has to spend half (or probably more) of the game on defense, where Guard will be extremely helpful. I average maybe 2 pass attempts per game, and there is usually not much need to throw further than a quick pass. Where that would come in handy is against other fast teams, but this little league is rather short on those.

I would argue in a bash heavy league StrongArm-Accurate is even more critical - it's not about offensive power so much as clock management. You control the field vs bash sides by stretching them. If you can park two catchers way down town then you force the bash side to waddle some of their bois back to mark them up which denudes them of blokes on the line to do the bashing, allowing you to actually overwhelm your opponents in a game of who can bash most or they ignore them and try and crush you but you can safely time waste as at any moment you can just safely fling the pig skin down range. StrongArm-Accurate opens up the field for AG4 passing sides to control the clock in a way that is normally not there for them.

I don't have any catchers and the league isn't supposed to run long enough for me to acquire 2, I believe. It's also a league with some less than totally serious teams and I really don't feel the need or desire to max out my team. I've been making less than optimal choices throughout - opting to take chances I wouldn't normally, or kill less time than I would normally, because my impression is that we're just doing this for fun and not being hardcore about anything.

Your arguments make perfect sense for a more serious league. That's not really what I want to do here though, ok?

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Yeah, min/maxing has its place, and if you want to min/max this league feel free. I'll just be over here with my super serious Ogre team.

Edit: I will get the join requests for the wissen competition accepted tonight. If all the games for this round of the round Robin are played I'll also get that advanced. Probably around 10 or 11pm eastern

Veevee on
    Blood Bowl is srs bznis. Theory crafting sides is my one joy in life, don't take that away from me.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    You’ve got both goblins and halflings in this league. Munchkining teams, while fun to think about, is totally unnecessary this time!

joshofalltrades on
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    So wait, how many Leagues do we have running right now? I'm only in the one and I could always use more Blood Bowl in my life.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    You’ve got both goblins and halflings in this league. Munchkining teams, while fun to think about, is totally unnecessary this time!

All of my worst loses have come against Goblins and Haflings!

So wait, how many Leagues do we have running right now? I'm only in the one and I could always use more Blood Bowl in my life.

Make a second team. Register for The PA Cup, and then request to join PA Wissen Cup. Enjoy more Blood Bowl.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

All of my worst loses have come against Goblins and Haflings!

Praise. Nuffle.

Make a second team. Register for The PA Cup, and then request to join PA Wissen Cup. Enjoy more Blood Bowl.

Also, get your game in against the mummies so we can keep your current league moving :P

Also, get your game in against the mummies so we can keep your current league moving :P

Preferably tonight before I get home around 9pm eastern so I can advance the round.

Preferably tonight before I get home around 9pm eastern so I can advance the round.

I have to audit the paperwork and do payroll at work tonight. I wont be home until midnight Pacific so.....

There's another game that still needs to be played anyway. Orcs vs Halflings maybe?

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    There's another game that still needs to be played anyway. Orcs vs Halflings maybe?

One dead two injured so far!

Thrown halfling hits orc, knocks orc over. Gets up. Alas I missed the ball carrier.

Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Thrown halfling hits orc, knocks orc over. Gets up. Alas I missed the ball carrier.

I saw that! And then the next throw where the halfling fell short a bit, hit the ground hard and just bled for a while and had to miss the rest of the game :P

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

One dead two injured so far!

That game was just brutal for you. Nothing seemed to work out and I bashed quite well. Got a lot of SPP from that one.

Are we waiting for more people to accept tickets or is 4 all the interest we had for the second league?

I'm ready for more bloodbowl! Just got block on a black orc and mighty blow, although in hindsight, should have probably got tackle on my blitzer.

Theres 3 other teams waiting to accept an invite, then we need 3 more to join to make it the 10 required to start a wissen competition.

I'll get PMs sent to accept the invite ticket later today. If by the end of the week no one else has joined I'll add some AI teams and get it started.

We’re just waiting on one more match to advance the round robin league?

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I know Moridin and I have yet to play. We were going to play over the Weekend but work stuff got in the way so it had to be pushed forward. In other news I'm not seeing the Wissen Cup, if that's what it's called.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    I know Moridin and I have yet to play. We were going to play over the Weekend but work stuff got in the way so it had to be pushed forward. In other news I'm not seeing the Wissen Cup, if that's what it's called.

Yeah it's called "PA Wissen Cup", not sure why it's not found when you search. What team are you trying to add? I can send it an invite.

Let me know when the game gets played and I'll forward the round robin.

Yeah it's called "PA Wissen Cup", not sure why it's not found when you search. What team are you trying to add? I can send it an invite.

Let me know when the game gets played and I'll forward the round robin.

It doesn't come up on a search at all. People have to search for The PA Cup and register for that. Once they do they can then request to join the PA Wissen Cup.

Is there a kickstarter or something to get Cyanide an actual UI Designer? This shit is ridiculous.

ah, I'm in the PA cup and the team I was going to enter is already in it (basically) so I'll do that today

Alright, we're setting up for our match now

The match was a bloodbath. Khemri Thick Skulls stopped 3 or 4 injuries on me. I killed 1 and injured 4 of his.

2-0 Khemri

Awesome, can’t wait to see who I’m paired up with next

edited February 2019
    Round Robin has been advanced. This round we have

@Phoenix-D Halflings vs @Lord_Asmodeus Chaos Dwarf
    @joshofalltrades Goblins vs @TIFunkalicious Undead
    @Ketar Wood Elf vs @RickRude Orc
    @Moridin889 Khemri vs @Veevee Ogres

Moridin889, I'll be around until midnight tonight after 7pm, all day tomorrow and Friday. Generally, if you see me on steam I'm able to play.

As for the Wissen Cup, there are currently 4 teams fully joined and 4 teams that need to use their "Invite Ticket" the game had me send you when you requested to join in order to fully join the competition. Lord_Asmodeus and one from TIFunkalicious, while the other two teams I don't remember who they belong too. One is a Kislov Circus team named Cirque d'So Lame coached by Pong Lenis, and the other is a High Elf team named Allies of Alith Anar coached by Soliloqui. Please go to "Play a game", click the arrow until the team is highlighted, and then push the "Use Ticket" just below the center of the screen to become a full member of the competition.

If anyone else would like to join this competition, this leaves us with 2 free spots. Now would be the time to join.

Veevee on
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    My group's tournament just went into playoffs. To no surprise, all playoff teams are dwarves, elves, or necros.

Their insistence on keeping the races on a hard tiered system leads to so really dull sameness in tournaments :\

So @Phoenix-D when would you like to organize our game, if you have a preference? I'm busy most of the day until the weekend so Saturday-Monday is best for me.

Saturday morning?

Elves and orcs played tonight. The game started off with an elf GFI, failing, then failing the reroll. It was that kind of day for the elves as they suffered 4 injuries, and were getting KO'd left and right. They managed to take the ball away from the orcs, but they recovered, and got a TD on the last turn of the half making it 1-0. In the second half, the dice started off more kind to the elf, and while the orcs mounted a stout defense, the elves kept shifting sides of the field and they got confused giving the elves a TD.

The orcs made a last gasp attempt with a few turns left, getting a cage, and a blitzer in the endzone. Sadly the thrower was in a tackle zone and the orcs couldn't knock him down. Slimey elves! My Orc thrower went for the dodge, failed two times, got injured, luckily nothing to harm him, and the game ended in a 1-1 draw.

Had a blast playing, loving the league. GG again @Ketar

I'm pretty sure all 4 elf injuries came from a single Orc blitzer.

Playing with no wardancers and down 3-4 bodies most of the time is...not great.

Game end stats said my elves failed 5 out of 11 GFIs. 2 out of 3 pick up attempts. And I don't even remember what else. They continue to be the least elfy elves.

Still, good times and a good game with RickRude.

I'm pretty sure all 4 elf injuries came from a single Orc blitzer.

Playing with no wardancers and down 3-4 bodies most of the time is...not great.

Game end stats said my elves failed 5 out of 11 GFIs. 2 out of 3 pick up attempts. And I don't even remember what else. They continue to be the least elfy elves.

Still, good times and a good game with RickRude.

I know that Blitzer had at least two injuries. He does have mighty blow on him. He leveled up and got a point in agility so I expect him to be handling the ball more now. Definitely my star player as of now.

Now my question is if I add a troll. I have the money, but sometimes they sit around doing nothing.

@TIFunkalicious hey when are you free to get our match in?

• TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    @TIFunkalicious hey when are you free to get our match in?

@joshofalltrades I am available til late tonight or pretty much anytime sunday