Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Home Theater Audio Question....again

LanchesterLanchester Registered User regular
edited July 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
A while ago I asked for some advice on a good yet reasonably priced home audio options.

Well, I have yet to purchase and I'm looking again. Through my work, I get a small discount through Panasonic, so I was looking at there items. Most of their theater sound systems (which I need everything btw...sub woofer, 5.1 surround sound, receiver, etc.) has "Full HD 3D Blu-Ray Disc Home Theater".

I know I'm going to sound like an idiot...but what exactly does that mean? I know it means the system comes with a 3D blu-ray player, but does the Blu-ray player work as the receiver then? Does this eliminate the possibility to hook up the system other things (DVR, PS3, Xbox, etc).

I would love to have the speakers be wireless...but fear that by doing this, they could only be hooked up to one thing...being the 3D blu-ray player. Which I don't even need anyway because I don't have a 3D TV and already have a blu-ray player in my PS3.

Anyway...if the discount is good, can I get something like that and still set up my other systems to it? Would I need a receiver to do so? And if I would...would it be worth it to buy from Panasonic or just go with a Home Theater in a Box set from somewhere else?

Thanks H/A

Lanchester on

• DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Really would have to know the model number to find out. It could mean that you have a separate Blu-ray player and receiver capable of having multiple A/V inputs. It could mean the player and the receiver are a combined unit that may or may not be able to support additional A/V inputs. If you do a google image search of the model number of the system you're looking at plus "back panel" you'll be able to see if the system has enough pluggydoos to handle all your devices.

• LanchesterLanchester Registered User regular
    Sorry, a model number would be really helpful. I didn't want to post a link to Panasonic's website because I didn't know if that would be ok.

Here are a couple I'm looking at - SC-BTT490 & SC-BTT190

And looking at one of the manuals, it shows that it has 2 HDMI ports and 1 HDMI out. So it seems like it works as a receiver.

• illigillig Registered User regular
    Skip the integrated units if you want future upgradeability. Buy a decent receiver with the inputs / outputs and options you need, and above all, plain standard speaker connections. Look for a minimum of four HDMI inputs, and make sure it does signal pricessing and conversion so you cna just run a single HDMI cable to your tv. Then buy a set of speakers to fit your budget. This will allow you to swap/ upgrade as little as one speaker at a time, and add new AV sources to your setup at will.

If you want to buy it as a package, the Onkyo home theater in a box sets are one of the few brands that are not garbage.

• MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    The Panasonic systems mentioned appear to be the kind of setups where if one piece fails the whole thing becomes useless.

I'll second the recommendation of Onkyo HTiB setups.