Options

[Persona 4 Arena] ArcSys X Atlus - Still no PAL date :(

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Given how important story is, there'd be no reason for arena battles if they went to any other setting. It's a lead to a different game, not more Arena.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Narukami-san?
    NickFuryHeader-600x450.jpg

I'd like to talk to you about the Persona Initiative.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Finally got a chance to play more of this. Being deployed sucks. Still can't play online. :(

I am totally 100% in love with Naoto's playstyle. The poison, the gun attacks, the close up martial arts, and the instant kills. I love how her close combos can easily combo into distance ranged gun attacks or furious action and launch combos. And I love the overhead persona + low physical setups. And fuck yeah her counter is awesome.

Labrys is still a very close second. Gotta love a hard hitting double-bladed axe and invincibility frames. She's also adorable.

Not sure which one I should main.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    It's my sincere hope that the ending is meant to lead into Persona 5 and not Persona 4 Arena Excelsior

I'm kinda new to all the megaten stuff, but I was under the impression that every numbered persona game is essentially a whole new story and cast.

Whatever continues arena's story is most likely another arena game.

Not to mention that there's still plenty of characters they could add, from both games.

As for the reason everyone's fighting in Arena and that being unique to this game....they could just come up with something else.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    It's my sincere hope that the ending is meant to lead into Persona 5 and not Persona 4 Arena Excelsior

I'm kinda new to all the megaten stuff, but I was under the impression that every numbered persona game is essentially a whole new story and cast.

Not to mention that there's still plenty of characters they could add, from both games.

It could just as likely be a Persona 4 - Part 2, sort of like Eternal Punishment or P3FES.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    i'd be okay with P4 part 2, but i would much prefer P5 being a wholly original game with new cast, mechanics, etc...

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

It could just as likely be a Persona 4 - Part 2, sort of like Eternal Punishment or P3FES.

Well. More Persona (2+3+4)-2 from the ending of Arena.
    A Persona crossover RPG for Persona 5 would be glorious.

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    So what's an Elizabeth supposed to do with another zoner like Naoto? Played against the same person like 4 times last night in ranked (I'd purposely try to look for them too to practice) and lost every match.

They'd basically set up by sending out their phased out persona, then get ready to shoot. If I wait, their persona eventually reaches me/get shot and I have to keep blocking. I think if I try to range her back she just DP counters me or I get hit by the above. If I try to run in, I get hit by bullets/persona. The dash dodge doesn't seem to last long enough to avoid all the bullets. Tried jumping but I still tend to get hit by bullets or just get melee comboed back to fullscreen when I get close to her.

I did read something about using the D Wind move to get close while avoiding bullets but I guess I have to get to mid range first.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    Well yeah. That's the thing about bullets. They can be shot anti-air as well as ground. But if you block them Naoto has to reload/cancel out of it and that gives you an approach opportunity.

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    super jump forward while blocking to test their anti air bullet reactions

if they don't shoot you you can air dash for free

her anti air is pretty unimpressive and so is her midrange, whereas you have great anti air and midrange

force her to jump by walking her to the corner while blocking and using obvious block string 5C 5D stuff

if she jumps she has no options against j.b and you can air command grab too, or antiair her air dash

if she doesn't jump you can go nuts on her in the corner and kill her for free

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    also D wind is pretty laggy don't use it to approach if you're even a little more than full screen (can just super jump there anyway)

naoto can run and air dash in so fast to punish it or force you into blockstun

don't use disruptor as a generic zoning tool against her, use it as a read punisher and a momentum changer (sparingly)

for example if you see her summon her persona full screen, shoot her in the face with a laser. she shouldn't get it out ever.

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Huh, changed my grip today (to sort of the wineglass grip) and I seem to be doing much better! Or maybe I'm not as sleepy as I was yesterday.

Dracil on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    Yaaaay second real set of matches : D

Thanks for playing @cyborgzeta!

Naoto is so impossible : ( I am bad and can't remember combos or use normal attacks that don't have overpowered range. Maybe I did the sweep knockdown into trap setup once or twice ever but I'm inept and can't lay traps so I just fall back to autocombos. Also there has only ever been one time where I was cognizant enough to even attempt a Mudoon combo and I messed it up : ( It would have been like the one time I've broken 2200 damage noooooooo...

Hooopefully I can start putting some more time in for playing this instead of wasting all my time in lol arams or whatever : (

• Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    p.s. Thanatos is a pretty good character

• Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    @Frosteey if you are ever down to play again let me know and we can set up some matches

maybe tomorrow me and you and @unintentional can get a ps3 lobby going

• Options
    ZanshinretsuZanshinretsu About 20% more deathstare Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So I spent some time at PAX this weekend in the console free play area doing random matches and watching P4A. They had a dedicated station where people were rotating out and I got to play against some upper tier players. My Naoto still has some work to do and I got my ass handed to me fairly consistently. Sunday they were running a tournament which I need to track down on twitch once they upload it. I had to duck out before the last round, but there was a really impressive Yu player and another dude who had an extremely brutal Akihiko. At least that gives me a target to shoot for with Naoto.

My studio's main site
    PSN: Zanshiretsu <-- misspelled because I am dumb.
  • Options
    Yukikos who spam fans and dia all day are rather annoying, but not all that effective, yet it seems like the most common play style I've encountered. Sometimes they will do AOA spam as well.

• Options
    Dracil wrote: »
    Yukikos who spam fans and dia all day are rather annoying, but not all that effective, yet it seems like the most common play style I've encountered. Sometimes they will do AOA spam as well.

I actually don't throw that many fans.

Crouching fans on the other hand, hoo boy. People sure like to air dash and I sure like to make them GTFO.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Well I play Liz, so if they fan spam, I usually just Zio them back. If they Dia, I try to rush in with flames and see if they block incorrectly.

One thing though, I read on the wiki that Liz is supposed to have 2 overheads, one of which is her AOA, but it's still unclear to me what her other overhead is supposed to be. It's not j.C which the wiki also specifically states does not hit overhead (maybe it's j.B? or the second hit on C?)

Dracil on
  • Options
    j.A technically hits overhead, but you don't get to use it traditionally unless you use a one more cancel

you can do 2b OMC j.A for an overhead for example

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Lost repeatedly to my friend's Labrys autocombo yesterday. I think I'm blocking it wrong and kept getting hit by the 4th hit.

• Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    Are you talking about her big, downward axe swing?

That's an overhead, so you need to standing block it.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah. Labyrs becomes a lot easier to fight once you figure out her tricks.

I mean a good Labrys is hard to fight, but people who just spam j.B and autocombo all day...

• Options
    edited September 2012
    I think that's the 5th hit? I actually keep getitng hit from the swing before that, which I think I need to block low. Then when I do that, I forget to stand up for the overhead. But yeah, I need to do some training. I also need to properly use my 2B more I think since he liked to jump in to get me (I guess the j.B)

Dracil on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah. But at the same time, depending on the angle they come in at Labrys j.B can be hard to challenge even with 2B.

If they're too far away when they throw it out sometimes its better to just use an evasive action to avoid it completely.

• Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    Akihiko is so much fun. He has damage through the roof and so many tricky close-range options. I just wish I knew how to deal with Yukiko, I can't figure out how to get out of full-screen fan/maragi/persona-landing-behind-you spam other than just dashing forward and hoping I get far enough from the persona.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Dracil wrote: »
    I think that's the 5th hit? I actually keep getitng hit from the swing before that, which I think I need to block low. Then when I do that, I forget to stand up for the overhead. But yeah, I need to do some training. I also need to properly use my 2B more I think since he liked to jump in to get me (I guess the j.B)

Yeah, Labrys's 5th hit would be the overhead. The first three attacks are her A chain, then she goes into A Guillotine Axe, the first hit of which I don't believe is an overhead. Plenty of time to see it coming though - the autocombo is fairly slow (which does make it easier to split off into other things from, though)

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    So I learned how to do the AOA > OMC > Ghastly Wail thing but was rather disappointed at the damage. Seems like when done like that, the fatal counter from a 2C feared opponent doesn't trigger, so it does <3000 damage instead of the 6300 damage I was hoping for, which doesn't really seem worth it for the 100SP cost. Though I guess when used as the ender of an even longer combo the damage can be impressive (I see one for 7000+ damage)

I need to practice chaining 2C > B.Bufu in the corner on reflex. Keep whiffing.

Dracil on
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    No post in 24 days? People are already tired of this game, I got to the party way too late or somethin'?

Anyways I rented this game at the library (Edmonton's awesome like that, you can rent vidya games at the public library for FREE) and I love the shit out of this game.

Granted P3/P4 were my favourite games on the PS2 so that game was made for people like me.

Teddie's my fav, he always crack me up. Elisabeth's not far behind. These 2 HAVE to be in P5, that would be a goldmine of comedy.

One thing that bugs me tough is Mitsuru's catsuit. Such a slutty attire doesn't belong on a classy lady like her.

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    I play a couple online matches occasionally, but I am a mediocre and very aggressive Yu player, so I have very little to say.

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
  • Options
    No, I still want to play this. But my friends don't wanna play with me. :( I'm also distracted with trying to finish P3 and also a bunch of other games like Borderlands 2, Torchlight 2, and FTL.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Someone decided to burn down my apartment building, and this game was one of the ones that I was interrupted from playing. Once I get interrupted, its rare for me to go back any time soon.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    I play this a lot, buuuuuutttt I started Active Duty today! And just when I thought I was done with the game I tried Player Matches for the first time and was blown away, so I'm far from done with this game.

So when I get all my crap moved over to my apartment I'll get back to it.

• Options
    been playin diablo 3 and wow. if someone wants to play on 360 ill play though

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    I haven't had much time to play any games lately. Not just fight games, but all these other games I bought. I'm drowning in games.

• Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    This is pretty much the only game I play when I get the time but I don't have much of that.

And everybody around my area already quit and people on PA suffer from horrible lag when playing with me so yeah...

• Options
    Combination of winter game rush and not liking P4 as much as BB for me.

• Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    i would pay so much money for a PC version of this oh my god

• Options
    I played it for a couple weeks and enjoyed the crap out of it, but online MP isn't really my thing. So, instead I went and played more SMT games.

• Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    Finally, some good news for the PAL people:
    So, we have a release date - and that date is May 10th. There will also be a pre-order bonus available from all retailers.

Just thought you'd like to know! ;)

This is not the end though... there will be MORE news. And that news will be GOOD.

Unless it's news about a delay... er... in which case, that news would be bad.

But we're not expecting that kind of news so... you know... expect the next bit of news you get to be the GOOD kind.
    They also updated the post with the pre-order bonus, which includes the OAST, and some posters I think? Anyway, now is the time to get those pre-orders in. Last year was too soon. :lol: