As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Holy Crap, RISE OF THE TRIAD is Back! (EIGHTEEN MINUTE DM VIDEO!)

2»

• StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Holy crap, this is real? Man, file this one under "did not see coming."

I am quite stoked for this. RotT is more than just one of my favorite old-school shooters, it represents an approach to game making that damn near doesn't exist anymore. It packs in so much gleeful insanity that I get a stupid grin on my face just thinking about it. So many powerups, missile weapons, multiplayer modes, all the little things like Dopefish, the DIP balls, the guys that stole your weapons and then used them, the flying middle finger, those quitting messages, Tom Hall as an evil cult leader himself... that game was on a whole other level.

The timing couldn't be much better for something like this, lord knows the shooter market could use a bit of that old-time crazy. Forget day one; I will buy this for other people if that's what it takes.

Also, I would shoot a randomly selected person to get this Shards remix into the game:

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Knowing nothing about the original Rise of the Triad, the trailer for the new one looks lame as shit

Like some Duke Nukem-styled over-the-top lame-ass macho-man bullshit

• GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Knowing nothing about the original Rise of the Triad, the trailer for the new one looks lame as shit

You do realize that was kinda the point of the whole thing, right? Apogee wanted to make a Wolfenstein sequel but went on this crazy tangent that involved over-the-top violence and action. It's SUPPOSED to be that way - moreso now that it's a modern recreation using the classic mid-'90s sensibilities.

Also, it's an inexpensive downloadable title. They're not exactly going for photorealstic verisimilitude and immersion here. Run around, shoot mans with missile, flamewalls and the occasional Excalibat, laugh at the absurdity of it all.

Edit: Funny you mention Duke Nukem, considering Apogee distributed the original 2D Duke games and had quite a hand in Duke 3D if I'm not mistaken. So there ya go.

Grimthwacker on
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I got the impression that too many people didn't like Duke Forever because it was so "stuck in the past"
    Funny, I got the impression that people didn't like DNF because it was a shitty game that fucked up every aspect of a Duke Nukem game.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • .::IBA::.ZardoZ.::IBA::.ZardoZ dual What? TexasRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    That was a pretty cool trailer. I only ever played the demo for RotT back in the day but it was fun and if I had been able to I would have bought the full version so I'll keep my eye on this one

Haha, Clayton and I played that demo on some random shareware collection for weeks!

• LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Thing I remember most about RotT was how amazingly lethal all the guns were. There were how many variations of missile launcher? God. The trailer confirmed that firewall gun is back.

Good shit.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Let's see... off the top of my head, there was...
    Drunk missile (Think Rocket Shotgun with an ungodly spread.)
    Rocket launcher (standard dumbfire rockets)
    Homing missile
    Split-fire missile (Hold fire after launch, then release to split the missile into two different directions)
    Dark Orb Staff
    Firewall

Pretty sure there was a couple others involving fire as well.

newSig.jpg
  • ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Here's hoping they add in the God Mode pickup where you grew to like 10 feet tall and disintegrated guys with balls of light you shot from your hand :-D

Reddaye on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    They will have all of the modes from the original ROTT. God mode, dog mode, mercury mode, shroom mode, etc.

• ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular
    They will have all of the modes from the original ROTT. God mode, dog mode, mercury mode, shroom mode, etc.

Sweeeet. I loved the original RoTT way back when it came out. Nice to see the original modes and crazy ass weapons coming back, The firewall launcher is just too cool.

• UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular

You do realize that was kinda the point of the whole thing, right? Apogee wanted to make a Wolfenstein sequel but went on this crazy tangent that involved over-the-top violence and action. It's SUPPOSED to be that way - moreso now that it's a modern recreation using the classic mid-'90s sensibilities.

Also, it's an inexpensive downloadable title. They're not exactly going for photorealstic verisimilitude and immersion here. Run around, shoot mans with missile, flamewalls and the occasional Excalibat, laugh at the absurdity of it all.

Edit: Funny you mention Duke Nukem, considering Apogee distributed the original 2D Duke games and had quite a hand in Duke 3D if I'm not mistaken. So there ya go.

Apogee is (was) the same company as 3D Realms. So they also made Duke Nukem Forever.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited August 2012

Apogee is (was) the same company as 3D Realms. So they also made Duke Nukem Forever.

Sort of, this Apogee is actually a breakaway from 3D Realms as of 2008ish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apogee_Software

Far as I'm concerned, this one is only responsible for what we should have gotten:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDlB2P1leRM

However, they were responsible for the Duke Nukem DS games, which are a whole new level of insult in themselves.

Fortunately it appears they are only publishing this one, but Interceptor has an even more dubious past, as the only thing I can find on them is that they haven't commercially developed a game since 1991, and everything in between is a graveyard of failed and abandoned fan projects(i.e. Duke Nukem 3D : Reloaded)

Donnicton on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Well, at $15 and as a sequel to a game that's generally at best regarded as a very good clone, expectations can be kept suitably low that it'll probably be hard to seriously disappoint me.

• StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I wasn't even aware Apogee still existed. It's not like I noticed when they stopped really making games (I was, like, twelve when it came out) but it seems like one day they just weren't there anymore.

I'm with Dehumanized on this. For fifteen bucks and given what it's coming from, it'd have to actively try to let me down. Seems like they're keeping important style elements, which is an encouraging sign. I'll be positively giddy if NME makes a return.

Edit: Mandatory reading when it comes to RotT. Long read, but a great old article that pins down a lot of what made the game special. Man, this is a hell of a nostalgia trip.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • AchireAchire Isn't life disappointing? Yes, it is. Registered User regular
    I can't say I really liked the game that much, especially the platorming. However it did have some great music like Goin' Down the Fast Way. I can't believe nobody linked that earlier.

• AchireAchire Isn't life disappointing? Yes, it is. Registered User regular
    Here's some low quality cam footage of the multiplayer.

Achire wrote: »
    I can't say I really liked the game that much, especially the platorming. However it did have some great music like Goin' Down the Fast Way. I can't believe nobody linked that earlier.
    Speaking of which. . .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jkDR9ca9f0
    Wah-wah guitars galore! I'm certainly digging the melding of guitars and synth, like the mix of old and new the game's going to be focusing on.

Just a friendly reminder that this game is still a thi-LOOK UPON THESE WORKS, YE MIGHTY, AND DESPAIR!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWhsZAhfyqc
    Yeah, that's eighteen minutes of pure old-school DM goodness. I'll probably make an honest-to-goodness real thread for the game when it gets released if that's all right.