As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tam and Friends [DOODLE] Hour [NSFW]

• beckerskullsbeckerskulls Registered User regular
    One troll who didn't get the memo about daylight savings.
    whd624jykh6p.jpg

• CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    So this is some of the best stuff I've doodled in the first week of owning the wacom tablet. I've been trying to take my drawing more seriously over the past two weeks. Any suggestions/critiques on how to improve?

week1_zpsf1253652.jpg

and I did this using my mouse (before the tablet arrived.)
    Followed a tutorial
    watertrees_zpsfa8675e9.jpg

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
    Thank ye sir, I shall look over those tomorrow.

• DversedDversed Registered User regular
    learning me some paintin
    Dm1HfNn.jpg

• ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    Been a while. Thought I'd share some stuff.

Shum Doodlesh while watching Hunt for the Red October.
    huntforredoctober_zps8268cf53.jpg

Enjoying the nice weather outside with some moar doodles.
    doodles_zpse52e3df4.jpg

• jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    all self portraiture all the time

sp001sm.jpg

so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
  • m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Love the hair. Well the way you drew it... but also the hair.

• kevindeekevindee Registered User regular
    gun-lady.jpg

character design is so not my bag, but I have to try sometime

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    lines? lines?! feh

na60_by_anondum-d7bsall.jpg

• jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    previous self portrait was actually a study for this piece, wherein absolutely nothing is happening

sb249-umbrellaellaelladonesm.jpg

so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    So I've been doing some colour thumbnailing lately, hoping to improve my colour choices and stuff... NOPE, still sucking. Here's me trying to finish an abandoned piece:
    marine5.jpg
    I realize colour might be just one in a sea of problems with this one, so any non-time-consuming (for you to make, not for me to implement!) tips would be most appreciated.
    I've been toying around with the contrast, but nothing I do seems to make it better.

Mayday on
    edited March 2014
    Right now the lighting looks pretty haphazard. Pick two light sources and roll with them. Instead of toying around with just the colors and contrast I'd rework the composition entirely and be very stern about sticking to only one or two light sources.
    Also, consider how your ellipses relate to the perspective. The shoulder pads and his head (+ collar) have a completely different perspective from his pelvis and the background.
    Also, remember to stack your values for depth. Right now the background is really dark. It might be that it is actually dark, but you need to make it lighter to separate the different stages of the painting. You can't just fix this stuff by playing with contrast. You're gonna have to go in there and add a gradient by painting over it with a middle tone, and then color pick from your new gradient whenever you paint in that area.
    Check out some stuff by Gustave Dore and see how his backgrounds are built on a different gradient from his foregrounds.

m3nace on
  • EsiotrotEsiotrot Registered User regular
    it's been a while, I've been stuck doing stupid corporate logo making and branding nonsense, finally actually sorted myself an exhibition of illustration stuff, thinking of putting this one in, it's fucking tiny though

CLOWN-BABYOption1.jpg

<3 m3nace Thanks! I'll get to work on those points!

Esiotrot that is... super creepy. Love it!

I hope someday we all dress like this before entering our flying cars and flying to the electropera.
    tumblr_n37sujW2y01s37o1ho1_1280.png

love the style of that piece m3nace

edited March 2014
    Thanks dude. Been playing around a lot with patterns lately and I really liked how it came out in that one.
    Here's some random sketch book stuff. We had this guy Eiji Otsuka teaching us about the key differences between western and Japanese comics and so I drew him and a bunch of other stuff.
    l1sjcsh96ko9.png

m3nace on
    Trying to incorporate m3nace's tips, still a long way to go.
    marine_26.jpg

edited March 2014
    And remember reflected light once you reach the point where everything is more or less locally rendered. Right now everything on the dude looks like it's more or less seperate. Take the kneecaps for example, the lower half of the kneecaps would receive a lot of bounce light from the shins and be a lot less dark.
    edit: and I would maybe also add some stuff behind him or at least change the background behind him to separate him from the background even more. But yeah, it works a lot better now with the different gradients going on. Maybe the middle ground could have a slightly darker gradient still, it is after all much closer to the foreground than the background.

m3nace on
    Thanks for your vigilance, I'd most likely have forgotten the reflections in most places. When talking about the middle ground, do you mean the building on the right (the closest), the ruins behind it or the ground in between?

Yeah. It could do with a bit more contrast still I think, the same level of contrast as the rubble next to it probably.

How's this? I think the texture of the floor is a bit too distracting.
    marine6.jpg

• JohnTWMJohnTWM Registered User regular
    Esiotrot wrote: »
    CLOWN-BABYOption1.jpg

Might just be me, I have a weird thing for playing cards, but I think a deck with your take on all the face cards would be really f'in cool.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    I tried drawing nice clean lines. it still looks messy because I end up going over them several times

clipboard02_by_anondum-d7cpn4r.jpg

and I have no idea how to do this, but some day

clipboard01_by_anondum-d7cpnhk.jpg

now I expect to get yelled at for not drawing feet. I'll do it I swear!

• kevindeekevindee Registered User regular
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Hey guys. Can i get some help here? Im trying to get a cool angle here, but its all jacked up. i wanted it to look like he's running..hunched over..I originally had his left arm thrown to the left BEHIND him. I moved it forward and now it looks even more off..i can't tell if his left leg need to be bigger, or the arch in his back is off....both. Anyone have any clue? Or is this beyond saving? lol. I like the arm and the head.
    20140404_190627_zps8c8d019c.jpg

NakedZergling on
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    Doodling the Queen of Hearts

CYash3f.jpg

Slowly making progress

irbwbu0muuew.jpg

• HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    So, I am still getting familiar with my art style, and I mostly use Photoshop so I do a lot of vector-style work. I'm focusing more on adorable stuff, I like happy things and bright colors. I made this today while goofing around. I thought it would be neat to share it.

ZY7SqTY.png

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    Already noticing some improvement CC, good jorb man.

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    4gbjHWu.jpg?1?5537

Oh no

o9ZQG0X.jpg?2?4691

Can't stop drawing Ghibli

Juggernut on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    and then Juggernut drew Ghibli forever

JohnTWM wrote: »
    Esiotrot wrote: »
    CLOWN-BABYOption1.jpg

Might just be me, I have a weird thing for playing cards, but I think a deck with your take on all the face cards would be really f'in cool.

funnily enough this is something I've not only considered but been told before, maybe I should stop thinking about it and actually do it, imagine that...

edited April 2014
    Some more snoodles. I'm rather happy with crazy vampire guy with sock puppets at the bottom. It's certainly not the best thing I've drawn but it makes me giggle.

8d7qaejps3rf.jpg

CommunistCow on
  • ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    dead_zps0d61ae2b.jpg

I drew a comic. IDK where I was going with it. Just started doodling and that happened. Think it might be the best one I've ever done, but not sure it had to be so dark :/

sometimes I practice so much guitar that my whole body gets stiff and sore, today was one of those days. On days like today when I can't do what all I do all day every day, I draw, because that's the only other thing I like to do anymore.

ninjai on
    Drew some stuff tonight.

KU417aZ.png
    0lBWtJj.png

Drew some stuff tonight.

Is all of this done with the pen tool in photoshop/illustrator?

• NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Hey guys. I didn't want to post in this thread because of the sheer quantity of doodles i uploaded to my thread. But i would honestly LOVE some feedback as i feel i havent improved in a long time. Would any of you check out my sketchbook...the last page i uploaded a butt ton of pages from my sketchbook. Thanks fellers
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/81046/huge-sketchbook-update-last-page/p4

Drew some stuff tonight.
    Is all of this done with the pen tool in photoshop/illustrator?

Photoshop. A bit of pen, but mostly just drawing shapes and cutting them up and putting them together. I'm not really a 'drawer' in the traditional sense, I just know how to use Photoshops tools and kinda make things happen, lol.