As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Twilight Imperium] Game 5 - Round 8: Game Over!

• MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    They're PDS units. I just realized that I forgot to put Shock Troops icons into the legend on the lower right, though... I'll have that for the next map.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Didn't see this one in the FAQ

Is an invading mechanized unit destroyed if hit by PDS fire, or can they absorb a hit just like ground combat? The base rules say PDS invasion fire "destroys a ground unit" instead of "hit", but it wasn't written with mechanized units in mind yet. On the other hand it doesn't make sense that mech units could take more punishment if their transports got shot on the way down.

MrBody on
    Mechanized Units may not be targeted at all by the initial PDS fire before invasion combat, neither may they be targeted by Planetary Bombardment.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Orange SodaOrange Soda Registered User regular
    Oh sorry, yesterday was my birthday so I was out all day! I'll get our movement up ASAP

Admiral Nerio had increased production at the Ghostyard and trained his replacement. It was time to prepare for the journey ahead of him. Hopefully there would not be a need for combat, but should the need arise, he was confident in his ability to achieve victory for the Creuss ghosts.

He had been briefed on the sector of space that the fleet was planning on jumping to. The Creuss extra-dimensional wormhole had opened up in a nice sector of space with a few worthy settlement planets adjacent to it. Soon the entire fleet would be making its way through the Creuss Gate to set up colonies for the good of the Ghost Empire.

Nerio knew that it would be very important to also produce an amount of expendable ships to be used as "cannon fodder", should the need arise. A scout would be sent to Mirage to set up a fighter base in the hopefully unlikely case of a foolish muaat invasion.

Mirage (1R, 2I, F (x2)) (Refresh Ability for 2 Fighters) at 3-7

p.s. I'm only played mech units with heavy Shattered Ascension modifications, so should they get built by anyone, I will have to spend a bunch of time familiarizing myself with all the rules/errata surrounding them.

• calibercaliber Registered User regular
    So what does that ability mean? It generates fighters? It supports fighters?

• Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I think it means that if you don't exhaust the planet during the Action Phase, you can do so during the Status Phase to get 2 free fighters? Or something like that.

And I second the Overmind's suggestion of the Dreaming Dark - maybe for that empty system next to Mecatol Rex, between the Lazax Graveyard and the Darien Nebula?

Also: if ties are broken by fan fiction, then the Jol-Nar have this one in the bag. Nothing left but the whaling and gnashing of reef, I'm afraid.

Also also: @jdarksun @Void Slayer are up. Available sectors are 3-10 (adjacent to the Yin) and 3-12 (adjacent to the Jol-Nar). Time to drop a supernova on someone!

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
    To clarify, you can optionally use the refresh ability after it is refreshed during the Status Phase, meaning that the planet will be unavailable for resources or influence during the next round. In the case of Mirage, you'll also need to make sure something is there for Fighter support if you're planning on using it for its refresh ability...

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Weird planet.

Anyway, something better then a supernova.

Placing Empty / B-Wormhole at 3-12, naming it The Lucky Lady.

This is an odd board now, a great rift of empty space with two sides linked by wormholes.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    Weird planet.

Anyway, something better then a supernova.

Placing Empty / B-Wormhole at 3-12, naming it The Lucky Lady.

This is an odd board now, a great rift of empty space with two sides linked by wormholes.

I rather like the great big line of nothing down the middle of the board. :P

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
    Oh it certainly has character.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    I'm an unhappy tele-snake.

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
    Huh, seems like there's a pretty huge disparity between a lot of these systems. Some are a single 2-0 planet while others outclass Mecatol Rex for resources/influence AND give double tech specialty to boot?

Well, photobucket being under maintenance means I can't put up the complete map yet. But until maintenance is completed, the floor is still open for system name suggestions. And @MrBody or @BertezBertez, feel free to disclose the contents of the final system, if you'd like.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited August 2012
    3-10 is the only choice left?

Empty system "Keep Out" at 3-10

How about "No System for Old Clones" at the empty system between Darien and Mecatol?

MrBody on
    There's two systems that don't have names yet, the Empty system in 1-6 (that MrBody has mentioned), and the Ion Storm in 2-6 between the Creuss and L1z1x. Provisional names have been offered for the empty system, but not yet for the Ion Storm. Game will start as soon as I can upload the map to photobucket.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Sneak preview on who the first turn speaker is?

Jol-Nar will start Strategy Card selection, further selections moving clockwise.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    How the hell do you name an ion storm? D:

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
    Keep an ION it?

stever777 wrote: »
    Keep an ION it?

Ok, that is just cheesy.

- Terence McKenna
    Could name the Ion Storm "Kahn's Folly" or just plain "KAHN!"

(*)

MrBlarney wrote: »
    To clarify, you can optionally use the refresh ability after it is refreshed during the Status Phase, meaning that the planet will be unavailable for resources or influence during the next round. In the case of Mirage, you'll also need to make sure something is there for Fighter support if you're planning on using it for its refresh ability...

Whoa I didn't know that. I thought you had to save it!

I second KAHN!

Also Dreaming Dark is cool for the unnamed empty space I placed.

Headmaster @caliber and Regent @GrimmyTOA are up for strategy selection still. I'm not being impatient. I totally love you, take as long as you need. I just noticed there was no @ symbols after all the final map placement so I figured I'd add them.

Log from the game we played tonight!

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/24020574/#Comment_24020574

Sorta unrelated but:
    I got some fun ones for you Blarney! Don't hate me :)

How exactly does the transfer of Shards of the Throne (don't remember the exact name, but I'll look it up if you can't find it) work with destroying units? It says that if another player destroys 1 of your units it transfers control, but in a space battle kills happen simultaneously. Is it whoever wins the battle or what? What if you each destroy exactly 1 unit... what if the first round of combat it transfers to one player (they destroy one of your ships), but the second round of combat you destroy one of their ships (and they destroy none of yours). I definitely think the intent of the card is to transfer to whoever "won the battle", but I wonder if its just attacking and successfully destroying a unit (like nekro virus' ability) that transfers... It seems like to the victor should go the spoils, but you should be able to steal it with a suicide mission,... i guess i keep just thinking it could go a few ways and i'm a bit confused and sleep deprived

Nekro Virus can still get actual tech cards from landing on either space domain counter that gives them a free tech (or normal domain counter for that matter). On there ability it specifies strategy cards, action cards, and political cards, but not domain counters

Arborec shock troops can still build because shock troops are treated like ground forces for all card text abilities, right?

edited August 2012
    Headmaster caliber and Regent GrimmyTOA are up for strategy selection still. I'm not being impatient. I totally love you, take as long as you need. I just noticed there was no @ symbols after all the final map placement so I figured I'd add them.

Well, I never said we were moving on to the first Strategy Phase yet anyways. I said that the game will start once I am able to upload the finished map to photobucket, which as of this writing I am still unable to do. That said, you guys may start Strategy selection if you wish, or you may wait. (I'm not exactly sure why maintenance is taking so long, at least my existing images are back to visible...)

EDIT: If it doesn't clear up by tonight, I'll use an alternative hosting solution to get the game moving again.
    <Shards of the Throne questions>

Since only the first question is relevant to the game at hand (and even then only potentially so) I'll only answer that one here. The "Shard of the Throne" Political card changes hands only if somebody actively attacks the current holder and eliminates one enemy unit, whether Space or Ground. It does not change hands if the current holder makes an attack as active player. (Reasoning: See page 12 in the base game rulebook for how "attacker" is defined.)

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    "You don't understand," Docent Koiflo explained patiently, "this is the perfect opportunaty to get in on a shore thing! There's nothing gillegal about these methods at all! Mullet over; I promise you, we can make a culling in the market right now but only if we act fast! The schooner the batter!"

Jol-Nar selects Trade II

I'm a little confused on when public objectives start appearing.

MrBody wrote: »

He's already told us what the first one was, didn't he?

- Terence McKenna
    MrBody wrote: »

The first public objective has already been revealed: [1 VP] I now spend 3 Command Counters from my Command and/or Strategy Allocation areas. Further objectives are revealed during the play of the (8) Bureaucracy Strategy Card, or if it has any Bonus Counters on it, when it is selected.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Also, @stever777 is next to choose his Strategy.

Currently Playing:
    Is that & our secret cards the only way to get VP's?

There are a few Political cards that can give out VPs, but for the most part your VPs will come from satisfying objectives.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited August 2012
    Round 1: Start of Strategy Phase

Map Building Summary
    Universities of Jol-Nar: Place Empty System in 1-5.
    The Naalu Collective: Place Thibah System in 1-2.
    The L1z1x Mindnet: Place Faunus System in 1-3.
    The Ghosts of Creuss: Place Wellon System in 1-4.
    The Embers of Muaat: Place Empty System in 1-6.
    The Yin Brotherhood: Place Nebula System in 1-1.

The Yin Brotherhood: Place Vefut II System in 2-11.
    The Embers of Muaat: Place Quann System in 2-9.
    The Ghosts of Creuss: Place Lodor-B Wormhole System in 2-7.
    The L1z1x Mindnet: Place Vega Minor-Vega Major System in 2-5.
    The Naalu Collective: Place A-Wormhole System in 2-2.
    Universities of Jol-Nar: Place Rigel I-Rigel II-Rigel III System in 2-1.
    Universities of Jol-Nar: Place Qucen'n-Rarron System in 2-12.
    The Naalu Collective: Place Ashtroth-Abaddon-Loki System in 2-4.
    The L1z1x Mindnet: Place Empty System in 2-3.
    The Ghosts of Creuss: Place Empty System in 2-10.
    The Embers of Muaat: Place Tar'mann System in 2-8.
    The Yin Brotherhood: Place Ion Storm System in 2-6.

The Yin Brotherhood: Place Hercalor-Tiamat System in 3-11.
    The Embers of Muaat: Place Capha System in 3-8.
    The Ghosts of Creuss: Place Tequ'ran-Torkan System in 3-6.
    The L1z1x Mindnet: Place Saudor System in 3-5.
    The Naalu Collective: Place Asteroid Field System in 3-4.
    Universities of Jol-Nar: Place Arinam-Meer System in 3-1.
    Universities of Jol-Nar: Place Centauri-Gral in 3-9.
    The Naalu Collective: Place Bereg-Lirta IV in 3-2.
    The L1z1x Mindnet: Place Empty System in 3-3.
    The Ghosts of Creuss: Place Mirage in 3-7.
    The Embers of Muaat: Place B-Wormhole System in 3-12.
    The Yin Brotherhood: Place Empty System in 3-10.

Administrator Vicaan entered his chambers, same as he had done for the past twelve years. It was a position previously held by his father, and his father's father, and so on for generations spanning over three thousand years. At the end of the Twilight War, the Winnarians who remained on the battle-scarred Mecatol Rex began the process of rebuilding, in an attempt to preserve as much of the Lazax culture as possible. Even now, the former galactic capitol was still a shade of its former glory - though it had been rebuilt, it lacked the activity befitting the seat of an empire. It was just as well, as there was nobody to occupy the imperial throne. Though the other races had token presences on Mecatol, the maintenance of the planet was mostly for the Winnarians' benefit, to satify their desire to keep the galactic history books up to date. Vicaan's work was to process declarations and official notices of the other races - work that was generally light in nature.

Sitting at his desk, Vicaan noted something different about the day's paperwork, mostly that there was any to be performed. Six bundles of documents sat in a tall, yet tidy stack on his right, ready to be processed. With curiosity, Vicaan pulled the first bundle off the pile and started reading. It only took a single page before dread began to fill the worker's body. Skimming through the rest of the document, it affirmed his suspicions - someone was finally making a claim to the old Imperial Throne. Dropping the papers in shock, he glanced over at the remaining five bundles waiting to his side. This was going to be a busy day, and Vicaan knew that this was only the first of many, many more to come.

Current Map: Start of Round 1, Strategy Phase

Current Technologies

Victory Points and Objectives
    Universities of Jol-Nar: 0 VP
    The Naalu Collective: 0 VP
    The L1z1x Mindnet: 0 VP
    The Ghosts of Creuss: 0 VP
    The Embers of Muaat: 0 VP
    The Yin Brotherhood: 0 VP

Public Objectives
    [1 VP] I now spend 3 Command Counters from my Command and/or Strategy Allocation areas.:

Secret Objectives
    Universities of Jol-Nar: 1 Secret Objective
    The Naalu Collective: 1 Secret Objective
    The L1z1x Mindnet: 1 Secret Objective
    The Ghosts of Creuss: 1 Secret Objective
    The Embers of Muaat: 1 Secret Objective
    The Yin Brotherhood: 1 Secret Objective

Universities of Jol-Nar - caliber and GrimmyTOA:
    Trade Goods: 0
    Action Cards: 0
    Political Cards: 2

Strategy Allocation: 2
    Fleet Supply: 3
    Command Pool: 3

Trade Contracts: (Jol-Nar [1], Jol-Nar [3])
    Technology: Hylar V Assault Laser, Antimass Deflectors, Enviro Compensator, Sarween Tools

Worlds:
    R - Jol (1R, 2I)
    R - Nar (2R, 3I)
    The Naalu Collective - stever777:

Trade Contracts: (Naalu [1], Naalu [2])
    Technology: Antimass Deflectors, Enviro Compensator

Worlds:
    R - Maaluuk (0R, 2I)
    R - Druaa (3R, 1I)
    The L1z1x Mindnet - Kilnaga and Iron Weasel:

Strategy Allocation: 3

Trade Contracts: (L1z1x [1], L1z1x [1])
    Technology: Enviro Compensator, Stasis Capsules, Cybernetics, Hylar V Assault Laser

Worlds:
    R - [0.0.0] (5R, 0I)
    The Ghosts of Creuss - Orange Soda and SeGaTai:

Trade Contracts: (Creuss [2], Creuss [2])
    Technology: Antimass Deflectors, XRD Transporters

Worlds:
    R - Creuss (4R, 2I)
    The Embers of Muaat - jdarksun and Void Slayer:

Trade Contracts: (Muaat [2], Muaat [2])
    Technology: Enviro Compensator, Sarween Tools, War Sun

Worlds:
    R - Muaat (4R, 1I)
    The Yin Brotherhood - MrBody and BertezBertez:

Trade Contracts: (Yin [1], Yin [1])
    Technology: Hylar V Assault Laser, Automated Defense Turrets

Worlds:
    R - Darien (2R, 4I)

Neutral Worlds
    N - Mecatol Rex (1R, 6I)
    N - Abaddon (1R, 0I, R)
    N - Arinam (1R, 2I, B)
    N - Ashtroth (2R, 0I)
    N - Bereg (3R, 1I, R)
    N - Capha (3R, 0I)
    N - Centauri (1R, 3I)
    N - Faunus (1R, 3I, G (x2))
    N - Gral (1R, 1I, B)
    N - Hercalor (1R, 0I, Y)
    N - Lirta IV (2R, 3I, G)
    N - Lodor (3R, 1I, G)
    N - Loki (1R, 2I)
    N - Mallice (0R, 3I)
    N - Meer (0R, 4I)
    N - Mirage (1R, 2I, F (x2))
    N - Quann (2R, 1I, G)
    N - Qucen'n (1R, 2I)
    N - Rarron (0R, 3I, G)
    N - Rigel I (0R, 1I, G)
    N - Rigel II (1R, 2I)
    N - Rigel III (1R, 1I, B)
    N - Saudor (2R, 2I)
    N - Tar'mann (1R, 1I)
    N - Tequ'ran (2R, 0I, R)
    N - Thibah (1R, 1I)
    N - Tiamat (1R, 2I, Y)
    N - Torkan (0R, 3I, B)
    N - Vefut II (2R, 0I, R)
    N - Vega Major (2R, 1I)
    N - Vega Minor (1R, 2I, B)
    N - Wellon (1R, 2I)

Order of Play
    Universities of Jol-Nar: (5) Trade II
    The Naalu Collective:
    The L1z1x Mindnet:
    The Ghosts of Creuss:
    The Embers of Muaat:
    The Yin Brotherhood:

Teams will now select Strategy Cards starting from Jol-Nar and going clockwise. As they have already selected a strategy card, @stever777 is now up for his selection.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    The Naalu Collective selects (2) Diplomacy II

MrBlarney wrote: »
    Headmaster caliber and Regent GrimmyTOA are up for strategy selection still. I'm not being impatient. I totally love you, take as long as you need. I just noticed there was no @ symbols after all the final map placement so I figured I'd add them.

Well, I never said we were moving on to the first Strategy Phase yet anyways. I said that the game will start once I am able to upload the finished map to photobucket, which as of this writing I am still unable to do. That said, you guys may start Strategy selection if you wish, or you may wait. (I'm not exactly sure why maintenance is taking so long, at least my existing images are back to visible...)

EDIT: If it doesn't clear up by tonight, I'll use an alternative hosting solution to get the game moving again.
    <Shards of the Throne questions>

Since only the first question is relevant to the game at hand (and even then only potentially so) I'll only answer that one here. The "Shard of the Throne" Political card changes hands only if somebody actively attacks the current holder and eliminates one enemy unit, whether Space or Ground. It does not change hands if the current holder makes an attack as active player. (Reasoning: See page 12 in the base game rulebook for how "attacker" is defined.)

Yah, I didn't mean to clutter the thread with non relevant stuff! Thanks for that reference page!

The MindNet will make our choice known as soon as possible.

Currently Playing: