As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Half-Life] End of an Era

• Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I'd say "work on what you want" only goes so far since the company spent years of time and expense making Steam Machines, which were pretty much perceived as a bad idea to most people not named Gabe Newell from the beginning.

Hell, maybe that and the lack of games is a sign that Valve employees really can't work on what they want at this point.

Steam Machines would make sense if Valve went after driver bounties and actually tried to do something with Linux, but as is SteamOS is a mediocre fork of Ubuntu that shits itself everytime you use a program.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I'd say "work on what you want" only goes so far since the company spent years of time and expense making Steam Machines, which were pretty much perceived as a bad idea to most people not named Gabe Newell from the beginning.

Hell, maybe that and the lack of games is a sign that Valve employees really can't work on what they want at this point.

Steam Machines would make sense if Valve went after driver bounties and actually tried to do something with Linux, but as is SteamOS is a mediocre fork of Ubuntu that shits itself everytime you use a program.

Debian. Not that it matters too much (Ubuntu itself is a descendant of Debian), but the hardcore Debian faithful will stab you for that kind of mistake.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Steam Machines were a response to the "Microsoft Closed System" fears of a few years ago. At this point, Tim Sweeney is the only one still harping on that shit.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    It looks better than vanilla HL, but that's the only difference.

There's also physics (Characters ragdoll and stuff hanging from the ceiling swings better) and better AI (AI teammates don't get caught up on stuff as easily, and you can have more of them)

But yeah, it has transparent water, skyboxes and textures look a bit better too.

Oh yeah, I put this in the OP (Don't worry, I forgot too)

Original
    +Compatible with HD Pack
    +Compatible with mods
    +Same engine as the expansion packs, for a more comparable experience
    -As with most old software, it has some flakiness running on modern machines

Source
    +Better engine graphics (Crisper visuals, better shaders, better water effects, enhanced backgrounds/skyboxes)
    +Better stability
    +Better physics (including ragdolls)
    +Better AI (Enemies are harder to cheese, allies have much better pathfinding, and less group limits)
    -Music issues (Music cuts off during level transitions, which has issues given HL1 was often designed with music right before level transitions.)
    -Scripting issues (Monsters sometimes activate before they should, or notice you when they shouldn’t, which can interfere with scripted sequences and dialog)
    -Not compatible with classic mods
    -No official HD pack

Didn't think to check the op, thanks for reposting that. May have to just grab it.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Gordon died at the end of Episode 2, though.

No Gordon (the player character) didn't die, you are probably thinking of Eli Vance, Alyx's dad.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    reVerse wrote: »
    Gordon died at the end of Episode 2, though.

No Gordon (the player character) didn't die, you are probably thinking of Eli Vance, Alyx's dad.

I think he was making a joke.

• Options
    Lost another one (though this one wasn't really involved in Half-Life)

I wonder if there's some sort of restructuring going on at Valve.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I'm annoyed we don't know anything about these departures. They must have signed something when leaving.

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Half-life 1 had a patch within the last week. Let the conspiracy theories begin!

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Most of the Valve stuff I have got small patches, even Blue Shift. Wish it meant something bigger but...

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    TelMarine wrote: »
    Half-life 1 had a patch within the last week. Let the conspiracy theories begin!

Half-Life actually gets patched at least once a month, it feels like. Usually they don't bother putting up patch notes though, so that's different.

• Options
    Hey, remember that April Fools joke about Freeman's Mind coming back?

Apparently it wasn't a joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEq38Hy2l7U

• Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    Well guys, it's over. Marc Laidlaw left this post on his website, which seems like it's been nuked off the internet. Spoilers for a game that will probably never come out. But here's the pastebin.

https://pastebin.com/q9DMFa7c

• Options
    This wouldn't be the first time Laidlaw has basically done Half-Life fanfic.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Breengrub deserves better than fanfic status.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    This wouldn't be the first time Laidlaw has basically done Half-Life fanfic.

It's the closest I'll get to a Half Life Episode 3 ending so I'll take it.

• Options
    Updated the thread title. Here's a page link, for when it's no longer getting slammed like a mofo.

http://www.marclaidlaw.com/epistle-3/

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    See this just makes me even more mad, because that would have made for an amazing game. No radical innovation of the medium needed, just that.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Mildly unsatisfactory ending, though.

Which, yeah, Half-Life game.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Hahahaha, fuck you Valve. Sit on your throne and make your hat money.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Jragghen wrote: »

Well episode 3 wasn't meant to be the end either, of course they're going to keep the central mystery going. That's a HL3 ending level mystery reveal at the very least. Pretty cool that we get to see (or would have gotten to see rather):
    A glimpse at the combines true immense power, finally. I could see a lot of cool things happening with the borealis phasing through time and space as well.

edit:
    We also got an (admittedly very small) glance at the Seven Hour War, which I've always wanted to see outside of blurry newspaper articles

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Well episode 3 wasn't meant to be the end either, of course they're going to keep the central mystery going. That's a HL3 ending level mystery reveal at the very least. Pretty cool that we get to see (or would have gotten to see rather):
    A glimpse at the combines true immense power, finally. I could see a lot of cool things happening with the borealis phasing through time and space as well.

edit:
    We also got an (admittedly very small) glance at the Seven Hour War, which I've always wanted to see outside of blurry newspaper articles

I feel there's a more satisfactory direction they could have gone with that, though.
    Borealis bouncing back and forth could allow you passage to go back there.

Have G-Man show up to take Alyx, Vortigants stop him (or even have G-Man take her and they free you), but rather than suicide bombing it into nothing, hop off the train in the 7 hour war. Have it as a cliffhanger leading up to the final game where you change the course of the 7 hour war through your presence, likely doing something similar to how you helped the Vortigants in the first game - go through to the Combine dyson sphere which they showed, and break something which leads to a galaxy-wide rebellion going on or something where you can get the hell out of dodge with them leaving Earth, but if they want to revisit in the future leave them open coming for revenge or something.

Going "well, I attacked them, it basically did nothing, I'm further in the future and done with this fight" is a wet fart.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited August 2017

edit:

I feel there's a more satisfactory direction they could have gone with that, though.
    Borealis bouncing back and forth could allow you passage to go back there.

Have G-Man show up to take Alyx, Vortigants stop him (or even have G-Man take her and they free you), but rather than suicide bombing it into nothing, hop off the train in the 7 day war. Have it as a cliffhanger leading up to the final game where you change the course of the 7 day war through your presence, likely doing something similar to how you helped the Vortigants in the first game - go through to the Combine dyson sphere which they showed, and break something which leads to a galaxy-wide rebellion going on or something where you can get the hell out of dodge with them leaving Earth, but if they want to revisit in the future leave them open coming for revenge or something.

Going "well, I attacked them, it basically did nothing, I'm further in the future and done with this fight" is a wet fart.
    The "I'm further in the future and done with this fight" was probably something Laidlaw tacked on at the end when he realized he was going to post this. I'd imagine that the story would have a different epilogue if they had released it as they originally planned, as a lead up to HL3.

edit
    also the 7 hour war would be pretty damn impossible to stop once it got going. Wouldn't it make more sense to travel to the events of hl1 and stop the resonance cascade?

edit edit: Gordon could go back and stop the resonance cascade which would actually cause something even worse to happen to humanity, an even bigger more powerful bad unleashed. They could be unveiled as the G-man's employers who needed this exact set of circumstances to occur to bring them into being/power or whatnot. It would be a hell of a callback to "prepare for unforseen consequences" and would set up an entirely new arc for the homestretch. Bonus points if the big bad had been hibernating inside the Vortiguants minds the entire time (perhaps even the combine grubs as well), and they knew this and were trying to fight it which is why they were aiding gordon, but not fully on his side. They knew he would kill them all if he knew the TRUTH dun dun dunnnnnn.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    What I am getting is that the plan for HL3 was that you play as Alyx.

• Options
    Your edit sounds like a cool idea, too.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Your edit sounds like a cool idea, too.
    I have to say even though I think that your idea wouldn't really work I would absolutely love to play it. The Seven Hour War is one of the least fleshed out bits of the story, which only fuels my fascination with it. I mean,
    you could still do what you say, just alter the goal a little bit. Maybe instead of stopping the SHW you could be tasked with rescuing and bringing back aboard the ship a scientist who was killed during the war, because the scientist was on the original borealis team and is the only one who can weaponize it for use against the combine, something like that.

edit: and what if that scientist was ALYX'S MOM DUN DUN DUNNNNN

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    So basically
    Gordon finds out that the Combine are infinitely more powerful than originally thought, realizes he is going to die in vain, gets saved by Vortigaunts, but ends up in the future on a doomed planet that has mostly forgotten him, the only friends he has are all dead or disappeared, and he just sorta gives up.

It's a downer but I'll take it.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    I think particularly the last paragraph is a meta commentary on the real world situation:

"And here we are. I spoke of my return to this shore. It has been a circuitous path to lands I once knew, and surprising to see how much the terrain has changed. Enough time has passed that few remember me, or what I was saying when last I spoke, or what precisely we hoped to accomplish. At this point, the resistance will have failed or succeeded, no thanks to me. Old friends have been silenced, or fallen by the wayside. I no longer know or recognize most members of the research team, though I believe the spirit of rebellion still persists. I expect you know better than I the appropriate course of action, and I leave you to it. Except no further correspondence from me regarding these matters; this is my final episode."

Valve changed over the years and ultimately, it'll be up to us/someone else to come up with how HL3 ends.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    Yeah that's absolutely what it is

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    I am super relieved that we finally have closure - and I'm treating it as closure, not as "hey, maybe someone will assemble a team and put together a fan-made game!" - but I also really dig some of the other ideas on this page.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    That's it then I guess. Feels strangely relieving and sad at the same time.

To tell you the truth I'm done with Valve. I can get any PC games from GOG and other places from here on out.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'm glad he shared that. It stings to think of what might have been, but I'll take this over years and decades more without anything resembling a final(ish) chapter.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    A pretty bittersweet resolution to the whole ordeal. While reading it I realized, or maybe re-realized, just how pivotal Half Life has been to me as I grew up with this hobby, and how central it was to the industry in general. It sucks real, real bad that the franchise was left to whither and die, along with the writing staff at Valve and the public image of Freeman as a character, to the point where the head writer of the story has to produce an outline for his last work on the character in a copyright-friendly name-and-gender-swapped fanfic on his blog. I mean, really?

I really appreciate the move, though. And the closure it brings. And even the kind of downer, open ending. It feels right, somewhere.

I realize it seems weird for an open ending to bring closure, but well, here we are. I think it would feel artificial if everything was resolved in a package deal, tied up with a neat bow.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I think it's easier to accept because, imagining a world where we got Episode 3 or HL3 or whatever, of course there'd be some kind of cliffhanger to allow for another game. We all know that, so seeing it laid out accordingly feels right, because it's natural.

Frankly, if everything had been wrapped up in a neat little bow, it would've come across as trying too hard just to pander to what people wanted, rather than an honest assessment of how things might have gone. Even after a decade of waiting, even if the game had been incredible and the conclusion satisfying on many levels, I would have fully expected "To Be Continued..." to appear in one fashion or another.

So I'm with you there, I like how real it feels in that regard.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Here's something interesting:

m3woa4cln2agcremco1l.jpg

JUST LET IT DIE ALREADY FUCK

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    So basically
    Gordon finds out that the Combine are infinitely more powerful than originally thought, realizes he is going to die in vain, gets saved by Vortigaunts, but ends up in the future on a doomed planet that has mostly forgotten him, the only friends he has are all dead or disappeared, and he just sorta gives up.

Not as depressing as valves fuckawful "no bosses" bullshit that results in nothing being done, forever, and as a direct result leaving half life 2 episode 3/half life 3 in perpetual torment in the purgatory of hope.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    So basically

Not as depressing as valves fuckawful "no bosses" bullshit that results in nothing being done, forever, and as a direct result leaving half life 2 episode 3/half life 3 in perpetual torment in the purgatory of hope.

Oh, they have a boss, alright.

And its name is Mammon.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    It has begun.

gNTOHiR.jpg

sig.gif
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    Here's something interesting:

m3woa4cln2agcremco1l.jpg

JUST LET IT DIE ALREADY FUCK

Maybe if Multifruta had asked in the context of the fanfic (Mrs. X, etc), there'd be a better answer?

76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    Honestly, I feel like this is a good thing, even aside from a "giving resolution to fans" thing.

Valve can still make HL3 or HL2:Ep3. And it can be something completely different from that. But the fact that this was released seems to signal to the fanbase "it's not coming," so in its own way, the pressure is off? Anything that comes out would be compared to this, not to whatever hyped up thing people had made in their minds, and also expectations of being released at all have been severely hampered, so the fact that we get anything would be appreciated?