As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mortal Kombat - IT HAS BEGUN!

• TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    Yes, the SNES versions do play better.

And you base this on...?

They play much slower than the originals. A bunch of combos I can pull off in my arcade board versions, that I can pull off in the Genesis and Sega CD versions, don't exist in the SNES version of Mortal Kombat 1. With Mortal Kombat 2, while both the SNES and Genesis versions are missing frames of animation, the Genesis version at least has the hits connecting at the right time during those missing frames. the SNES version does not, so, while it's possible to do everything in the Arcade and Genesis version of MK2 in the SNES port, the timing is way off.

A whole bunch of "nuh-uhs" doesn't prove a point. Express to me in what way the SNES versions play better, opinion or fact. Because you're providing neither right now.

ThatOneYoYoGuy
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I have no trouble believing the 32x version was superior.

The fatal flaw being... who the hell owned a 32x? :P

.....me? IT HAD DOOM! AND KNUCKLES CHAOTIX!

...it was a waste of $20+.

edited August 2012
    And, in fact, I'll prove that the SNES versions play worse. boot up the arcade version of MK1 however you can, the Genesis version, and the SNES version. Let an opponent jump in on you, crouch, and press high punch to counter. In the Arcade version, you'll uppercut them, knocking them out of the air. The same thing happens in the Genesis version. In the SNES version, this doesn't happen - you perform the uppercut animation, but the move is no longer invincible against aerial attacks - they will always beat an uppercut. Your move will whiff right through them, and they will hit you wide open with their jump in attack. Every. Single. Time. The most basic anti-air strategy in the game is completely missing on the SNES version.

Onto MK2, the slower gameplay makes almost all the juggles from the arcade original impossible to pull off. Example - jump in with scorpion and execute a standing low kick immediately afterwards near a wall. For one, this is an automatic auto-double on the genesis - the standing low kick will ALWAYS hit if the jump in kick hits. The SNES version has a delay after the jump kick, which means the opponent can actually recover if they're lucky and block the standing low kick. The sequence is an auto-double in the arcade. Anyways, when you perform the standing low kick near the wall, they'll press back into the wall and you can jump back into them and perform an air block, followed by a sweep in the genesis and arcade versions. The SNES version is too slow for this, the recovery time from the low kick is too long that it's impossible to perform this combo.

There are numerous such examples. Now I ask again, how does the SNES version play better?

TheSonicRetard on
  • Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    I grew up playing the Amiga ports of Mortal Kombat and Mortal Kombat II, both of which were fascinating enough that I plan to dedicate an entire episode of PortsCenter to them. There's also a super-rare Japanese PSone port of MK II which has atrocious load times. Apparently a US version was prepared for release but Sony told them not to bother.

Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    I think Johnny Cage should be the hero of the next one. That guy has always been under-appreciated, and he's one of the few viable options left. I really hated what they did to Sub-Zero in the new one, because I hate cyber ninjas, and until this version, SZ has always been my favorite. Cage has always been my second favorite though, and I think he's in prime position now to take over as the hero of the series. I don't think Kenshi really has enough fan-history/background to fill that slot, though he is a cool character.

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I would imagine that Kai, the generic Shaolin monk guy from MK4, will be the hero of the next one.

• Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    In fairness they could flesh Kenshi out in a new game, much the same way they created and then fleshed out Shujinko in Deception.

Kenshi can't be the hero because he's a blind and regular people can't identify with cripples.

reVerse wrote: »
    Kenshi can't be the hero because he's a blind and regular people can't identify with cripples.

I think the staggering box office totals for the seminal Ben Affleck movie "Daredevil" would disagree with you.

I think the staggering box office totals for the seminal Ben Affleck movie "Daredevil" would disagree with you.

Peoples didn't know the character is blind going in. I mean, he's a super hero, how could he be blind?

The film got slammed by critics and word of mouth once the deception was discovered.

Peoples didn't know the character is blind going in. I mean, he's a super hero, how could he be blind?

The film got slammed by critics and word of mouth once the deception was discovered.

I'm not gonna lie to you, Marge - there may have been a modicum of sarcasm in my post.

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Kenshi is rad and I think my favorite of the post-UMK3 characters, but even I have to admit that he steps on Ermac's turf as a red-colored ninja-esque dude that also does telekinesis

also, I really miss his tai-chi style from DA

never die
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I think Mileena is supposed to make you feel bad and embarrassed by looking at an ugly demon thing in a sexual manner. Is that giving them too much credit?

no I don't think you're giving them too much credit, there's a reason she's the one who flaunts her sexuality... it has something to do with her wanting to actually eat men who let their guard down I'm sure.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    Kristmas Kthulhu
    ah yes, the Hall v. Oates argument

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Variable wrote: »
    I think Mileena is supposed to make you feel bad and embarrassed by looking at an ugly demon thing in a sexual manner. Is that giving them too much credit?

no I don't think you're giving them too much credit, there's a reason she's the one who flaunts her sexuality... it has something to do with her wanting to actually eat men who let their guard down I'm sure.

Maybe Midway thought the best way to try and draw the Japanese audience was to throw some implied vore in there.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »

I say this without a hint of sarcasm.

Millena is one of the best designed female fighting game characters period.

Former pallete swap turned into deranged clone with over the top sexy design, but with horrifying shark teeth that eats people.

Its a parody of over the top sexy females before there were over the top sexy females.

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    Kenshi is rad and I think my favorite of the post-UMK3 characters, but even I have to admit that he steps on Ermac's turf as a red-colored ninja-esque dude that also does telekinesis

also, I really miss his tai-chi style from DA

Well, before MK9's retcon, Ermac (who was a good guy? Neutral at least.) actually trained Kenshin in how to use his TK abilities.

newSig.jpg
    oh yeah, I know that, but for people like my old roommates who would tell me I couldn't be "the red dude" (Ermac) again, then get mad when I picked "the red dude" (Kenshi)

well it was confusing

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Ya, 2011 MK was an awesome reboot. Has there been any rumors about a sequel to it yet?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I don't think we'll see a sequel announced/discussed until the DC fighting game comes out. It's too bad actually, MK9 was really good, I would have loved another game with the same engine. Presumably by the time they work on the next game, we'll be onto the next hardware - unless they find a way to rush out another game to have something coincide with the next movie I suppose.

If the flick hit in a year or two and they pushed out an UMK9 with the same engine but a dozen new characters, new stuff in the challenge tower and the story mode and some alt costumes following the new movie I'd probably buy it. I also would have bought much more DLC but for some reason they thought 4 characters was enough.

edited August 2012
    I grew up playing the Amiga ports of Mortal Kombat and Mortal Kombat II, both of which were fascinating enough that I plan to dedicate an entire episode of PortsCenter to them. There's also a super-rare Japanese PSone port of MK II which has atrocious load times. Apparently a US version was prepared for release but Sony told them not to bother.

I have the Amiga port of MK2 - I forgot to list it in my list of ports. With a 2 button controller it's fine, but play it with a 1-button controller and jesus christ is it hard. Of all the 1-button amiga fighting games, it seems like only Shadow Fighter got it right.

The PSX port of MK2 is identical to the Saturn port, and both use the Genesis port as their base. They are terrible ports. Simply awful. Like the Genesis port, they lack tons of speech samples. Their AI is also atrocious - you can duck and spam low kick and they'll walk into your attack over, and over, and over again. You can beat the entire game doing that.
    darklite_x wrote: »
    I think Johnny Cage should be the hero of the next one. That guy has always been under-appreciated, and he's one of the few viable options left. I really hated what they did to Sub-Zero in the new one, because I hate cyber ninjas, and until this version, SZ has always been my favorite. Cage has always been my second favorite though, and I think he's in prime position now to take over as the hero of the series. I don't think Kenshi really has enough fan-history/background to fill that slot, though he is a cool character.

They already have a built-in way for human sub-zero to return
    More specifically, frost will likely become the new sub-zero
    I don't think we'll see a sequel announced/discussed until the DC fighting game comes out. It's too bad actually, MK9 was really good, I would have loved another game with the same engine. Presumably by the time they work on the next game, we'll be onto the next hardware - unless they find a way to rush out another game to have something coincide with the next movie I suppose.

If the flick hit in a year or two and they pushed out an UMK9 with the same engine but a dozen new characters, new stuff in the challenge tower and the story mode and some alt costumes following the new movie I'd probably buy it. I also would have bought much more DLC but for some reason they thought 4 characters was enough.

I remember reading an interview from when MK9 was released where a member of the team said that sequel fatigue is part of the reason the fighting game genre fell out of favor in the first place. That too many games were released that were too similar all within a small window of time, and that people got tired of it. And, as such, this would be the only mortal kombat for this generation of consoles, and that the sequel wouldn't hit until next gen at least.

the DC game looks like it's using the MK engine, and by the time it's done, I'm willing to bet Next-gen will be right around to corner, so it looks like the guy was telling the truth. I can't fault him for his logic - if they do wait until next gen for the sequel, it'll be a smash hit. Imagine the graphics leap. I think spacing out the MK games is one of the best decisions that team has made in years.

TheSonicRetard on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I'm fine with another MK not hitting until the next gen consoles

Injustice looks rad, apparently uses the same engine as MK, and they said it will have just as much single-player content if not more

Really excited to see what Netherrealm comes up with

Theodore Floosevelt
    I'm fine with another MK not hitting until the next gen consoles

Injustice looks rad, apparently uses the same engine as MK, and they said it will have just as much single-player content if not more

Really excited to see what Netherrealm comes up with

I'm not ashamed to say that I'm more excited about the single player mode in Injustice than anything else. That single player mode from MK was amazing. All fighting games should have single player modes like that.

apparently uses the same engine as MK

Most games do.

apparently uses the same engine as MK

Most games do.

He means fighting engine, not graphics engine. UE3 does not describe MK's fighting engine.

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Speaking of MK9, I love exactly everything they did with the story.

The whole sequelboot thing, Cyber Sub-Zero( Whitebread maskless subzero 2 was the worst, now he is tolerable), Liu-Kang being the reason Earthrealm was going to be destroyed, NEARLY EVERYONE DYING, Quan-Chi being behind the ENTIRE original Ninja storyline, EVERYTHING.

So goddamn good.

edited August 2012

The whole sequelboot thing, Cyber Sub-Zero( Whitebread maskless subzero 2 was the worst, now he is tolerable), Liu-Kang being the reason Earthrealm was going to be destroyed, NEARLY EVERYONE DYING, Quan-Chi being behind the ENTIRE original Ninja storyline, EVERYTHING.

So goddamn good.

Only thing I don't like? Cyber Smoke was a beast. I HATE the way Cyber Sub-Zero plays. He's so slow and lumbering.

I really, really hope they bring human sub-zero back, especially if it's Frost. I could see her being the next great sub zero, like she was originally destined to be before she went crazy. That, and she has an opportunity to be something no other female fighting game character has been - a main character who isn't tarted up and overly serialized. I'd imagine Frost, as the next Sub-Zero, would be a just like the old sub-zeros, just slightly more feminine looking.

If she did become the next Sub-Zero, she'd basically be the lead character for the rest of the series, too.

EDIT: Quan Chi was always behind the original Ninja storyline, btw. The biggest twist, and his best villain moment, is yet to come, however, when he finally confronts Scorpion with the truth just as Scorpion is about to kill Sub Zero.

Obviously, for this moment to happen in the sequel as intended, they need a new person to arise for Scorpion to protect. Because he never turned on quan chi and betrayed the netherrealm in the reboot, because Sub-Zero was turned into a cyborg, so scorpion never got to see sub-zero spare a life in the tournament and realized that he was an agent of good.

TheSonicRetard on
    My friend Nick attended the MK tournament in Vegas last year. Someone chose Cyber Sub-Zero in some of the opening rounds and was met with a very real derisive laugh from everbody in attendance - developers included.

It seems NetherRealm never took Cyber Sub-Zero seriously as a character. He's the Dan of the MK reboot universe.

My friend Nick attended the MK tournament in Vegas last year. Someone chose Cyber Sub-Zero in some of the opening rounds and was met with a very real derisive laugh from everbody in attendance - developers included.

It seems NetherRealm never took Cyber Sub-Zero seriously as a character. He's the Dan of the MK reboot universe.

Everything about him sucks. His human voices - as both Bi-Han and Kuai-Liang were incredible. But his robotic voice sounds so... lame. Bi-Han's voice is pretty much my favorite part of MK. When he sees Cyrax for the first time, the shock in his voice as he calls his name, followed by the resignation as he says he's sorry for what they've done to him, but he will not submit... just perfect.

edited August 2012
    I do like seeing the characters evole (or Reptile's case, de-evolve) as the series progresses. Key example, look at Rain. Purple pallet-swap, generic ninja, visual joke character that wasn't even playable. Now a waterbending badass prince (and still with the joke)!

Ermac is another example.
    Glitch in the first game shows Red Ninja with ERMAC name. Give him a backstory and some cool powers.

Maybe that's why I always liked this game's background. The amount of "throw it in" is amazing and somehow they actually try and make it work.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    Kristmas Kthulhu
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

I could go for a thread of TSR touting the virtues of the 32X...

...assuming he sees virtue in it, that is.

Anyway, I'd like to check out the story of the new game in full. Can anyone recommend some YouTube videos or something to check out?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • JamieODJamieOD Dublin, IrelandRegistered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    I do like seeing the characters evole (or Reptile's case, de-evolve) as the series progresses. Key example, look at Rain. Purple pallet-swap, generic ninja, visual joke character that wasn't even playable. Now a waterbending badass prince (and still with the joke)!

Ermac is another example.
    Glitch in the first game shows Red Ninja with ERMAC name. Give him a backstory and some cool powers.

Maybe that's why I always liked this game's background. The amount of "throw it in" is amazing and somehow they actually try and make it work.

That along with them acknowledging many of the urban legends that were created over the years by inserting them into later games is what I love about the series.

Kristmas Kthulhu
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I spent days, DAY trying to get the super-gory fatalities working on Mortal Kombat on the SNES.

A magazine (I forget which), posted up screenshots of them and a ridiculously difficult way of enabling them. The screenshots were crazy violent, with people being torn in half and exploding.

The method involved winning a fight double flawless and doing a fatality in the centre of the ring (in the stage with all the stone fighters stood in the background).

So. Many. Hours.

Anyway, it turned out to be an April fool.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScHUX1ojyF8

I haven't played the new MK game since probably last summer. Reading this thread makes me want to jump back in.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85

This is an urban legend that isn't true.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Funny video.

Super Smash Brothers win!

This is an urban legend that isn't true.

But.... It was in Quarterman's EGM rumor column back in May 93....

Why is my memory filled with crap like this? I could be wrong on the date though.

newSig.jpg
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    ERMAC did mean Error Macro, and ERMAC was listed in the game near a "Reptile Battles" counter, but that's the extent of the truth. There was never a red ninja glitch.

I could go for a thread of TSR touting the virtues of the 32X...

...assuming he sees virtue in it, that is.

I don't.

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular

So goddamn good.
    I really, really hope they bring human sub-zero back, especially if it's Frost. I could see her being the next great sub zero, like she was originally destined to be before she went crazy. That, and she has an opportunity to be something no other female fighting game character has been - a main character who isn't tarted up and overly serialized. I'd imagine Frost, as the next Sub-Zero, would be a just like the old sub-zeros, just slightly more feminine looking.

If she did become the next Sub-Zero, she'd basically be the lead character for the rest of the series, too.

That would be so great if Frost just was the next Sub-zero

Maybe even as a reveal of sorts? Just have a new human Sub-zero, hood and all, limiting (though not eliminating) anything super obvious and different, aside from her frame.

Or like a joke reveal, where everyone is aware she's not the original except for Scorpion

He gets all hot and bothered by Sub-Zero's return again, re-swears vengeance, is completely oblivious to her obligatory MK tittays

f2ojmwh3geue.png