As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    (and for the record, I know that The Street Fighter is a Japanese film, but it takes place in Hong Kong)

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Yep, I ordered Sleeping Dogs. :)

Also, I bought Blood Meridian as an audiobook.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I'm trying to learn a new framework (CodeIgniter) and getting used to the awful quirks of PHP at the same time.

Brain asplode.

• Options
    A Better Tomorrow was my favourite film when I was a teen.

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Chunking Express was weird as shit

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I do like that one-shot action scene.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    The God of Cookery is a masterpiece you are a gentleman and a scholar for posting that Jacob

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited August 2012
    Haphazard wrote: »

A Better Tomorrow II was the first HK film I ever saw, at a festival the arthouse theater near me was having. I was 16, had just gotten my driver's license, and went with this gorgeous girl who had come to my high school after spending years in a boarding school abroad. For one awesome night I felt like an international sophisticate.

The girl turned out to be sort of a weirdo flake, the car got wrecked by my stepbrother, the theater closed, but the movie is still one of my favorites.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Maybe it's just me, but I definitely liked The Killer better than Hard Boiled.

Ah, nostalgia.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSLgstEbe1s

I always liked this movie.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

A Better Tomorrow II was the first HK film I ever saw, at a festival the arthouse theater near me was having. I was 16, had just gotten my driver's license, and went with this gorgeous girl who had come to my high school after spending years in a boarding school abroad. For one awesome night I felt like an international sophisticate.

The girl turned out to be sort of a weirdo flake, the car got wrecked by my stepbrother, the theater closed, but the movie is still one of my favorites.

I feel like in these two paragraphs I just read every coming of age novel ever written.

• Options
    God of Cookery is one of the funniest things I've ever seen in my life

watch this all the way through:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqAZWXCXcBM

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    And somehow Bulgarian girl convinces me not to give up hope just yet. Instead I'm going to roll in on Friday and sell the hell out of my hacked apart Epson T-20.

• Options
    MrMister wrote: »

I feel like in these two paragraphs I just read every coming of age novel ever written.

A fair assumption.

• Options

A fair assumption.

I don't even mean it in a mean way; it just captures the arc of life so succinctly.

• Options
    Too late, I'm already pissed off.
    :P I actually really just agreed with you.

• Options
    :^:

• Options
    I tried to make a Hasse diagram for the PHP '<' operator. Turns out INF is smaller than itself, greater than itself, not equal (==) to itself, but identical to itself (===).

kuWuk.png

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    I've only seen in the mood for love, but I fucking love wong kar wai

i don't think I've seen any hong kong style action movies (bullet time and doves etc) but I suspect I'd fucking love them

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Good morrow, brave chatters.

• Options
    edited August 2012

Heh. It's something that struck me for the first time as I was typing it out - the only thing of that night that I have left is the movie.

That girl was something else. I can name at least eight different dudes, most of them my friends, who were in love with her at one time or another during the single year she was in our school. She was never in love with anyone, but she enjoyed the attention. I think after five years in Rome she probably thought we were all tremendously provincial. I could be mad at her but in fairness I got to grab her ass a few times and it is still one of the prize all-time asses of my experience.

I miss the car. It was a minivan, one of the old Dodge Caravan four-cylinders, and it got amazing gas mileage. You could just drive and drive on a single handful of pocket change and having that many seats was a Godsend for a sixteen-year-old dude who had a bunch of friends to pick up.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    I fel like an Explosions in the Sky song is about to start

Jesus, someone get John Hughes in here

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Podly wrote: »
    I've only seen in the mood for love, but I fucking love wong kar wai

i don't think I've seen any hong kong style action movies (bullet time and doves etc) but I suspect I'd fucking love them

Hong Kong cinema is one of the great wide-scale examples of people making art from less than ideal circumstances. Many (if not most) HK movies were, for years and years, basically ways for gangsters to launder money. There are lots of accounts of guys like Jackie Chan being threatened and harassed by gangsters or being told to make a movie in some ridiculously short amount of time, like five weeks, because someone had a hot couple million that needed unloading right then.

It was a pretty brief flowering though, unfortunately. In the 60s and 70s HK basically exported schlocky kung-fu movies. It wasn't till maybe the early 80s and the rise of dudes like Wong Kar-Wai and Wong Jin that it kind of fully developed and got more legitimacy as a scene, and then it started to get really big in the early 90s. And then the handover happened and the talent all fled. It's a shame.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    talking of films, my little bro is doing extra work at pinewood studios today

it i was an impecunious writer who didnt have to pay accomodation, extra work would be a seriously easy way of making ze moneys

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Oh boy, I really want to get to work on this Skaven Warlord. Such an awesome model.

b56b5b5ee6c911e18df322000a1e9df2_7.jpg

• Options
    iiiiiiiiiinteresting

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    chuck norris is a really hairy guy

• Options
    talking of films, my little bro is doing extra work at pinewood studios today

it i was an impecunious writer who didnt have to pay accomodation, extra work would be a seriously easy way of making ze moneys

hanging out at pinewood would be so rad

so much awesome shit has come from there

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    And then the handover happened and the talent all fled. It's a shame.

this is what happens when you stop the british running something

it goes downhill

parallels can be drawn

the last governor of hong kong, chris patten, is my twin bros godfather lol

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Speaking of movies I mentioned it earlier but Fury Road is going to be so cool 130+ vehicles made for the movie!

CQLkBh.jpg

Mad-max-monster.jpg

SundayTimes.jpg

88185b38.jpg

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    you're a twin, sir reality?

• Options
    edited August 2012
    1XMYv.gif

stempede

ya i have a fraternal twin bro

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    vangelis' studio during blade runner

http://www.nemostudios.co.uk/nemo/sections/br/br_gallery.htm

no good shots of the CS80, though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoEkyBX7qsg

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Fuck, i'm tired.

These next two weeks are gonna be rough

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    port2.jpg

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Fuck, i'm tired.

These next two weeks are gonna be rough

You know what they say, Abdhus!

Because i don't... Sorry.

• Options
    i seen paintings!

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Also, is anyone else excited aboutthat new Survival mode for TF2? I'm still looking for handsome man to ubercharge erotically.

• Options
    Also, is anyone else excited aboutthat new Survival mode for TF2? I'm still looking for handsome man to ubercharge erotically.

I look forward to it but not all the updating and downloading ill have to do to be able to play it. Ill have to wait until maybe next month at the earliest for me. Stupid Bandwidth caps.

This discussion has been closed.